Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-11-2005, 12:01 PM   #1  
Babe-Alicious!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ?? for you teachers

I have a question for all you teachers out there. I am going to do the paint can thing for my DD's kindergarten teacher for the end of the year and I want to put a stamp set in there. I dont want to spend much so I thought of an $11.95 set. Do you think the Delightful Doodles set would be good or is there another set that would be better? Keep in mind only the $11.95 price tag.

Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I am not a teacher, but I am doing the paint can also for my kids teachers. I am putting some bath soap and lotion (I know I know, but I didn't have much to spend) with a scrubbie thing and some Dove chocolate.

If you have your heart set on a stamp set I think Delightful Doodles would be good. Or how about making a covered notepad, pen and coaster to match the can. The notepad you can stamp each page, it is a little time consuming, but cute when it is done and then they have special paper to send notes home on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 12:41 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Depending on when school is over, you might want to order the teacher on of those large text only stamps on SU! pg. 199. A 2-line stamp costs $14.95.
I know its a little more than your original cost limit, but I think a personalized stamp would be nice.

It can say:
From the desk of
Mrs. K. Jones

Just my suggestion.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 01:38 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm a teacher so here is my professional advice: (ha ha ha)

Does she like to stamp? If so, get her a stamp set. But if she isn't a stamper, why not get a personalized set? I would love a set that just said my name and my school name (or for a little more, add the school's phone number.)

Regardless of the stamp set, I think she will be tickled with anything. It is such a special feeling when a parent offers a small gift as a thank you. It certainly isn't expected, but it is a nice gesture!!

Another idea is to give her a "coupon" for a stamp set that costs $11.95 or less. Then let her borrow your book and she could pick out her own.

Hope that helps!!
Helen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 01:43 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I like your stamp set idea! I wish more of my parents at school knew what I like to do in my spare time!

Does the teacher stamp??? If she does, than I would definately get her a set. Cute Critters and Simple Wishes are also nice sets.

If she isn't into stamping (or doesn't have supplies to do it with) I think a matching notepad/pen set would be really cute. I am a teacher and I love the acrylic frame notepad holder that I made. It sits on my desk and I use it all the time. If you don't feel like this is enough, you could also give her a set of stamped cards. Teachers can always use Thank You cards. Have fun and be creative. It's the thought that counts and if she knew you were going to these great lengths to put this much thought into her present she would be thrilled. I'm sure she'll be happy with whatever it is that you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:21 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I think Mostly Flowers is very versatile for $11.95. (page 166)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:32 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I am a K teacher so here is my opinion too

The Delightful Doodles is cute and would be appreciated. However, If you had an extra $3 to put towards it though, a good idea would be Kid Cards and since $2 of that goes towards charity, it is actually a nice thought too. It is also a versatile set. Smile is also a winner for an extra $3.

If you were going to stick with the $11.95 sets, don't forget about Itty Bitty Borders. That is a cute set too. Another alternative close in that price range would be a wheel with handle and ink cartridge. It is something simple and quick to use in the classroom.

If you had a close friend in the same room you could always go in together and get Teacher Time ($16.95). I have used this set so many times and this is one that teachers most definately can use in their class. My kids love getting those stamps on their papers and on notes!

Good luck on deciding! I'm sure your teacher will love whatever you decide for her. I wish you were one of my parents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:45 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jeannie,
I am so glad you asked this.... I am trying to make the same decision....

I know my dd's teacher scrapbooks and I know that she put stamps on their daily behavior sheet so I think she would use the stamps..but I am not sure if I want to give her something for her class or something for her and her family....
If the below is not acceptable then I am thinking I will either do the certificate to the local scrapbook store or get teacher time or another set that others have mentioned....

For those of you teachers out there - what if I did a scrapbooking gift certificate and then gave her (in a paint can) a couple of my used sets that I no longer use - cute critters and itty bitty borders for instance? Would you be offended by this??

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 03:54 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by photocropper
Jeannie,

For those of you teachers out there - what if I did a scrapbooking gift certificate and then gave her (in a paint can) a couple of my used sets that I no longer use - cute critters and itty bitty borders for instance? Would you be offended by this??
If you cleaned them very well and it wasn't "totally obvious" they were used then nope won't be a big deal at all! Try the Dawn gel power cleaner made my dirtiest stamps look brand new- found that tip on this site!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 07:28 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

I teach at a high school and very rarely get gifts, but every now and then I do. I would love to get the paint can thing (I haven't quite mastered that technique yet). Usually I have a feeling when I'm getting something because my students will ask what I like, what I do when I'm not at school, favorite color, those kinds of questions. You can always have your little one do some questioning like "my mommy likes to stamp, do you?" type deal. I'm sure any gift you give will be appreciated. I know I always do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 07:46 PM   #11  
Babe-Alicious!!

Im not sure that she has stamped before I came along. I have given her several stamped gifts and she has loved them all. She even told me that she did her first card making class at Archivers because she loved the stuff I gave her. For teacher appreciation week, I made several thank you cards and pens in a portfolio type thing that I made out of a placemat (that I totally forgot to take a picture of! ) and today she told me she really loved it. My DD said to her "my mom has too many hobbies" haha the teacher said "I dont think so, especially when she makes me things" And I think she might have Teacher Time because DD has had papers stamped with the frog stamp. I only wanted to do the $11.95 deal because I plan on putting a bunch more stuff in the paint can as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-11-2005, 08:02 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

I'm a teacher and an SU demonstrator. Have you thought about filling it with already made thank you notes that you have stamped? I think any teacher would appreciate these. Teachers use a great number of those throughout the year.

Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 07:49 AM   #13  
Gabfest Goddess

Cute Critters is another cutesy set - good for kindergartners. Do you have a spot to give her? No one wants a green hedgehog! LOL
Let's Party would be another good one - easy for birthdays! (This personally would be my choice as a teacher!)
Spring Fling is cute too - especially that bird! A Tree for all Seasons would be good too - could use it for a lot of things.
Lastly, seriously consider spending $1 and getting a personalized stamp. I would die to get that for a gift!
I'd love to know what you decide! - Kendra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:35 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
If you are a demonstrator, you might consider giving her several of the Jumbo incentive stamps, some small white notecards, perhaps a few ink spots? AND, a certificate for a private lesson one on one with you, and coffee to boot!!!!

After all, you said she took a class at Archiver's--the gift of your time and instruction would be wonderful, it seems to me?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-12-2005, 09:32 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Don't mean to hijack, but I have seen the paint can for an expectant mother, havn't seen on for teacher. Is there a poem or somthing that goes along w/it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2005, 02:44 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

I am an elementary teacher, and any small gift is a lovely gesture. Don't spend more than you are comfortable with, as with any gift. You decide the cost and give from the heart.

A couple of cents of opinion here.

As far as a used set, I advise against it. It just doesn't sit well with me. Buy for yourself and make things for others.

I think the idea of things that you have made is the best one so far.
(cards, note pads, etc.)

How about some bread from a specialty store? I am also a Girl Scout leader and my co-leader and I received a large loaf of cinnamon chip bread from our local Great Harvest Bread Company (Breadsmith, etc.) It was great! Consumables are always great for teachers!

kk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2005, 05:31 AM   #17  
Babe-Alicious!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
If you are a demonstrator, you might consider giving her several of the Jumbo incentive stamps, some small white notecards, perhaps a few ink spots? AND, a certificate for a private lesson one on one with you, and coffee to boot!!!!

After all, you said she took a class at Archiver's--the gift of your time and instruction would be wonderful, it seems to me?!
Im not a demo so I dont have all those incentive stamps you are talking about. I ended up getting her the delightful doodles set, and I think I will mount it for her. Not sure if she would know to do that. Im thinkin of throwing in a few ink pads as well. Plus some other goodies like chocolate!
Reply With Quote Likes