Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2005, 03:11 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you a production line or single card maker?

My friend is a production line card maker. So one day she may stamp a lot of images and then a week later she will go back and twinkling h2o them and then when she needs a card she will turn one of the images into a card.

She does this with everything. She may spend a day cutting out Sizzix shapes or coloring in peel offs or whatever it may be.

I am the complete opposite. I have to visualise a card and then make it from start to finish and I will only ever make one at a time. I can't make 2 or 3 of the card, it bores me stupid.

I know my way is more time consuming and labour intensive, but it is the only way I can work.

Which way are you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:00 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

It depends on the day. I actually do both, of course when I need to make a bunch of cards (like for Christmas) I'll do a production line. When I just feel like stamping it is usually one at a time. But sometimes I get so excited about my vision, or I know I need several get well cards so I'll make at least three of the same design.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:02 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm the same as you, Ally! I have to make cards one at a time. I get so bored cutting out CS for workshops! I have to finish the card before I go onto another. If I really like a card and want to make more, I make each one at a time!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:08 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

When I make my Christmas cards it is a production line. Most of the time I make my cards one at a time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:24 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I make cards as a small business so I do alot of production line work...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:25 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

I work on one card at a time, but I have to admit that my favorite part of stamping is when I get a good design and I have to make a few for a swap or something. I love that mindless stamping, cutting, adhering, watercoloring, ect. It reminds me of quilting which I used to do a lot of, but with a 2yo, I just can'y have all the sewing stuff laying around anymore.

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:26 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

No production line here...I take hours sometimes just to do one card. For me, that is what's fun about stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:29 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I personally do some of both. When I have time and am not as inspired, I will make anywhere from 2-4 of the same card or if I make something I LOVE I may go back and make more.

But usually that bores me too so often I will make several different cards. When I get inspired I just start creating and before long I will have several different cards. I have a box full of them that needs sorting so I can start using them.
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:37 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm a single card maker. I just did my first ever production line with my DD's B-day invitations. But I had to do the "prototype" as a single first. I start out with a rough idea in my mind and fine tune it as I go. So the card rarely ever turns out the way I first envisioned it. I think it's because I can't fully picture it in my mind - I actually have to see it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:40 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I make a card one at a time. I usually make 2 cards when I do stamp cos I don't have a stamping space, I have to get everything out of my bedroom and take it to the dining room table. So it's not worth it unless I make 2 or 3 cards at a time. But they can be 2 or 3 completely different cards.

I will do assembly line style for Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 05:53 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I am a single card maker but that is a waste. I should at least make two at a time since I am cutting the card stock.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:01 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

I do both, depending on the situation. For certain people or occasions I'll make just one card, specifically for them. But I also like to have a 'stash' of cards on hand (either to give as a gift in part of a stationery set, or just to be able to write a quick note to someone when the urge strikes...)

Christmas cards are my exception, however. I mass produce those (usually in 2 different designs).

"I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to."
"When we forgive, we free ourselves from the bitter ties that bind us to the one who hurt us."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:05 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

When I do background techniques (like the shaving cream), I do a production line. When I make embellishments like my wire dragonflies, I do a production line. When I do my swaps, I do a production line. Every once in a while I do a production line just because...I like to do each card different though, so production lines kinda take out some of the uniqueness in my mind. I know every card will be slightly differnt, no matter how hard you try to keep them the same, but I like al of my cards to be WAY different.
Becky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

I sort of do both. I will do them one at a time until I find one I really like and then I'll production line it so I have a dozen or so fo that one card. Production line is the only way to go for Chistmas cards!

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:19 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I tend to make only one at a time except when I'm doing Christmas cards or large batch cards. I get bored fast, and can only stand to do one of a kind. I've been told to make more though since people seem to like my cards (and I sell them).

BananaJane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:24 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

I do both. It depends on the amount of time I have and mostly my creativity level! Even if I am doing a production line it is still something I finish the same day. One thing that I have learned, is to stamp at least 2 of every card.... one just to keep as a sample. I didn't do this in the beginning, I made many cards that I couldn't remember days later. Besides, I think it's much easier to get out the supplies once and make several cards. I always do my christmas cards in a production line, because I send the same card to everyone. Thanks for asking this ?. Dina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 06:28 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

When I make a card I make anywhere from 4-8 of the same card..one goes in an "idea box" and the rest go in another box, so I can grab a card when I need it...what if I made one card, never scanned it, and sent if off, never to be seen again? I have to have a record of ideas and creations...I always make at LEAST two, so I can keep one...Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:10 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Talking 1 card, 2 cards, 3 cards, more?

I usually make at least 2 cards so I can keep one as an idea starter. But I have been known to do a bunch too. I have found that if I do too many, I get really sick of them, really fast and don't want to look at them again....even to get them out to give away! Another thing I've done is take pictures of my cards (and other cards that I like) and save them in an idea file on my computer. That has been a great resource too.

~Melanie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

i can go either way. i guess i like to be able to be versitile? when i first started swaps and production lines, i was very intimidatedm but i'm comfortable now! ;)
i always make a starter card first to see if i like it or not. production line for swaps, christmas, birthday announcements, baby, that sort.
i also like to do about 4-6 cards with teh same basic layout, but may change up the accents, etc. if it's a card i love i'll only make a few cause i don't want to get sick of it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:35 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

The only cards I mass produce are when I make my Christmas cards (and I find that tedious and boring). Other than that I make them one at a time and sort of create as I go. Sometimes I will make the same card more than once but they never turn out the same either
Isaiah 40:31
check this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:45 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I make one card at a time.. then if I am in a swap I can go back and try to recreate the cards... this summer I have been in swap mode, and I love it... but from sept thru Oct I will be a one card wonder.. not enough time to pay attention to keeping up the quality standard for every card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:50 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Same here! Christmas cards can be soooooooo tedious. Then you end up having to decide which ones to send to whom because some of them always turn out looking better than others. The more I thought about making multiple cards using a "assembly line" procedure, the more I realized how little the big stamping magazines cover this issue. After all, If you are going to make one of those fancy cards with eyelets and buckles, ribbon, confetti, 6 stamped images, and 3 cutouts...you might as well make a few at a time to get the most out of your start-up work. I wrote an article about this that might be some help to a newbie wanting to make multiple cards.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Rubber-Sta...Cards&id=54007

Best of Luck,
Kathy Williams
www.rubberstampingfun.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 07:52 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually get my idea/template and then I cut out all the pieces and then stamp and then color and then assemble them all at once.... Seems the fastest way for me..... Especially when doing a swap or making more than one card...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 08:36 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a work@home mom
I have turned the *work* of stamping into many splendid rituals that enable me to turn out beautiful hand-stamped love tokens. And to love & care for my 2 year old son.

Late at night, I cut, mount and label rubberstamps...legions of rubberstamps! It is something 'round here that can be done, will stay done, and is perfect.

While DS is in the pool (tub), I cut cs, and vellum into manageable sizes for workshops, gifts, swaps, or emergency occasions (quickies) later. Routine, and relaxing work...reminds me of a lady with a loom. And I can leave anytime and come back to it.

While DS paints or drives trucks, I stamp and emboss images 'en masse' and I paint them, another time, out back on the deck while DS does his gardening, construction work, and baking.

I assemble, lovingly, loads of unrelated beads, broken necklaces, other people's yarns with stamped images so when we are invited out we don't need to buy the wine, or bake the cake. *I* bring THE CARD.

I love that my son can stamp for hours even with the attention span of a two-year old and that he can line up the wheels for "DD Road Trip" without a stampamajig and that he off 'stamps off ' the wheels again, a second time, slightly off, because cars have *4* tires!

I am not a factory!
I am efficient! I am a MOM!
Forgive me, but, mass-produced?...... my *****!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 AM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

I usually make one at a time unless I am doing invites or thank you's. I get ideas in my head so I have to make the whole card and get it out of my head :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 09:27 AM   #26  
Crimping Master

I'm a one-card-at-a-time kind of girl . . . wish I could do bunches at one time . . . I think that would be way more time-efficient, but it just doesn't work for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 09:44 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

So far I have done one at a time. But I am looking into ways to improve and do more than one at a time. I do cards for my church family's birthdays and this month is really heavy, so I need to come up with more cards in the time frame I have as I work full time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Mass production

I'm not a huge mass producer but when I have to I can do it. Lots of times I use a particular technique exp. polished stone, reverse jacob's coat, etc... so I don't get too bored when I make about twelve of them. On a regular basis I make anywhere from 2-4 just because it is easier to make several although oftentimes it is because I am switching colors so it's probably not that effective. I also like to play with different layouts how does this look horizontal, vertical, off to the side with eyelets, with a ribbon here? I come up with similar cards that each have a different look. There are also times when I just make one because that is all that I want to make. I guess I don't really feel pressure to create unless I need a card such as birthday right away. I've been trying to aleviate that by creating lots of different cards for occasions so I won't have to stress out about that. Right now I've been doing the gamsol thing so I've got bunches of images stamped out that I color while watching TV and then later put the card together which is my least favorite part. I love making backgrounds and embellishments but putting the card itself together is difficult for me. Yes, I know I have a bazillion more stamps than I need and some of them I haven't even used but it's my hobby and I love it so I try not to get bogged down with useless guilt. Stamp how you want to. If you aren't efficient who cares if that is what makes you happy continue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 09:54 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I do one card at a time.

I will spend hours upon hours making that one card. Im sooooo slow. LOL!
I also take hours upon hours to make a scrapbook page!

I have been known to spend all day on one card, and still have it not finished. OOps :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 10:13 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Default One Card Kind of Girl

I'm a one card kind of girl! However, when I make something that turns our really well, I will make a few so I have one for my sample box and then some to send or swap. I have too many ideas in my head to get totally into production mode right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 10:28 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm not very good at creating an idea, so I CASE most of my cards and then make several of them at one time. I don't put the saying on them until I need to use one because it makes them much more versatile. This way I have lots of cards ready to use at a moment's notice...I just stamp the sentiment on it and add my personal note to it and it's ready to go. This works best for me. I end up loving them so much that I absolutely have to keep at least one of them to use for samples and sometimes even "show-n-tell" at the stamp club I attend.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 01:30 PM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I do both. When it's for something certain like a family birthday, I will only make two. Right now though, I am making set samplers for my demo so I make six of one card and four different designs per set. Then she pays me with free product!!

"It would be crazy to choose this world over Eternity."
-Mercy Me

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2005, 04:23 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default 2@a time

I try to always make 2 at at time. One to keep and one to send. I'm thinking about making that 3 so I always have one ready to send when I don't have time to start fresh. But 2 is so easy as I usually start with a half a sheet of cardstock so 2 is a natural. So I guess I could go to 4 to have some extra and ready when I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

I know it is more effective to make more than 1 card of the same kind, but I am just a one kind of card gal. I get bored way too easy. I will 'mass produce' during Christmas but it has to be a few different kinds of cards, not all the same.

When I send away my one and only kind of a card, I will make sure I scan it and put it on my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 04:28 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I find something I like I usually make a few - put them in my box and pick through them for christmas and other gifts where I send a collection of cards to people. Now Rox has me started getting cards for Keiki, they especially need teenage boys cards so I was busy last night punching out baseball gloves.
And I have been trying to use all those things that are BBHUY (bought but haven't used yet) so if I am on a roll I will use up any of those supplies so that I don't have to look at them any longer! I can usually pull out a few months of card swaps at any time! So now if I don't have time for stamping I am set.

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 08:16 AM   #36  
Glitter Guru

With swaps its usually a production lime, but most of the time its one card at a time and when I am really tired and inspired its a card I can not repeat what I did

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 08:33 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so a one card at a time girl. Even at Christmas. I have tried making a few of the smae card, but it really drives me nice.
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2005, 05:10 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Ally is talking about me - it makes me sound really anal doesn't it
What she should have said was that I do all the coloring in when I'm away on my hols - that way I don't have to take too much away with me. I then keep all the designs ready for when the whim takes me. It came in very handy - I had colored a peeloff of a land rover car with twinkling H2O's and a friend wanted a card for a boy who was mad on land rovers - so that was nice and easy. I am capable of free thinking and making a card from start to finish - but I like to keep some stuff in reserve for emergencies
I also keep some sizzix stuff ready done so I can try it out and see if I like it on a card. It means I am more likely to remember what I've got and use more of my stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2005, 05:43 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

BOTH. SOMETIMES I LIKE THE WAY THE FRONT TURNED OUT, SO I WILL MAKE A BUNCH, LEAVING THE SALUTATION OFF UNTILL I A BIRTHDAY OR ETC. COMES AROUND.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2005, 05:50 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Smile 2 @ a time

It depends on what I am working on. For the most part I design/make one card at a time. I do however usually make two of every card � this way I have one card to give to the intended recipient and one card to add to my idea book/ set samplers. I use to just do card fronts for my idea book/set samplers, but now I a make a complete card � Then I always have a card ready to go if I need one in a pinch.

I do the assembly line processes when I am mass producing cards for the holidays, but this is only after I have designed the card.The first year I did Christmas cards I made 70 plus of the same design, boy did that get old. Now that I am more into stamping and since I own several holiday stamp sets � I like to do about 10 cards of each design. This way I do not get bored making one card and two, I get to use all my different stamp sets :p

SCS memeber # 27799
Reply With Quote Likes