Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-27-2021, 08:41 PM   #41  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I have always used older stamps and embellishments when the card called for it. I hardly watch any videos, as I would rather read the SCS tutorials. I’m trying to get my mojo back too. I spent all summer into fall sewing masks for my family and friends. And I’m a town clerk, so I had 4 elections in 2020, which saw a huge uptick in absentee requests. I literally had no time for anything else. So I;m trying to find some stamping time and take part in the weekly challenges. Not doing so good on that, but hoping to get better. When I do stamp with or without the challenges, it calms me and I can feel all the stress, anger or whatever go away. I hope stamping never goes away.

I think if some of the old stamps and techniques were brought back, they’d be new again. Especially for newer stampers who were not stamping at that time.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 04:20 AM   #42  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Karen, you're so right about the UK magazines and the oldie but goodie techniques. If you want to see some really nice demos, there are 2 UK craft shopping channels I watch on Roku that have websites where you can watch some of their shows. They also offer free downloads. I've linked them below.

Hochanda

Create and Craft
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 03:25 PM   #43  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is one particular stamp company that seems to be releasing something new every week. And the amount of emails they send is off the wall. It is really starting to turn me off. I can't imagine the accumulating stock they must have, but then they are always having some type of sale, too. I would much rather a company spend time using their product in videos, combining new with old in new and fun ways, and build the interest in their product that way. Not by just putting something new out. Many of us have been stamping for a long time and would prefer to see techniques and methods for using our stash. Granted, that doesn't necessarily benefit a company in new product sales. However, a company has to come up with the money to get the stamps and dies made for their first order. If they spent some time using past releases, they may make money selling what they have already in stock and recouping their money. And if you have great videos and demos or tutorials, you could bring in a lot of new customers who don't have your products and are willing to buy them, even if they aren't the newest designs. I, too, am burning out on the constant releases and appreciate the companies who don't necessarily have something new every month but are online showing us what can be done with what we purchased. As a previous poster said, Jennifer McGuire does a great job of showing how to stretch your stamps, dies and supplies. I would love to see more of that online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 06:14 PM   #44  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

If it's who I'm thinking of, they do have the ability to make stamps in house and press to order, so it's likely that they're not overflowing. I hear you though.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #45  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
If it's who I'm thinking of, they do have the ability to make stamps in house and press to order, so it's likely that they're not overflowing. I hear you though.
And if it's who I think it is, because of that, they rarely retire anything so it's possible to fall in love with an older image and still get it, which is great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 04:44 AM   #46  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

LOL You ladies make this sound like a guessing game! IF they still have product from years past, I WISH I KNEW WHO IT WAS! LOL ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 07:12 AM   #47  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I was assuming that it's Unity. I'm sure that's who Dina is referencing. I had to unsubscribe from the newsletters because import taxes are making it prohibitive to buy even in their sales. But I've always liked that you could fall in love with an older stamp of theirs and, most likely, still find it in their inventory.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 07:16 AM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Heart THANK YOU!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I was assuming that it's Unity. I'm sure that's who Dina is referencing. I had to unsubscribe from the newsletters because import taxes are making it prohibitive to buy even in their sales. But I've always liked that you could fall in love with an older stamp of theirs and, most likely, still find it in their inventory.
THANKS, Sabrina! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 11:03 AM   #49  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 733 Likes on 355 Posts

Do you think some of it is working alone all the time? This is a social hobby. I think it might be.
There is a difference between choosing to be alone and having to be. We want our peeps back!
Zoom baby zoom! I want to try that this year with peeps who are far away.

Oh heck...they will be purging ME long before I use up everything around here....LOL

For the FIFTH year now, I would like to start doing challenges and take classes. Fingers crossed.

What I am burned out on is LIFE getting in the way of playing!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2021, 05:21 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 137 Likes on 54 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

What I am burned out on is LIFE getting in the way of playing!!!
YES!

My mom fell in Nov. and has been with us since. I took a six week leave to get her back on her feet, went back to work 12/27, worked for three weeks then took another three week leave (which ends next Sat.) when she had surgery on 1/14. I had to skip my yearly girls' trip on MLK weekend due to caring for her post-surgery. Even though I've been off and home, I haven't been OFF. No time or mojo to play. I have managed to take an hour or two here and there to work on cleaning up the mess that is my craft room, but not enough time or ability to devote full attention to a craft project. The plan is to move her back to her apt. the first weekend in March, but I don't know how long it will last. She could surprise us, but at this point I'm feeling that she's gonna need someone around 24/7, if for anything to make sure she eats and do every other day or weekly needs (supervise bathing, do laundry, basic cleaning, etc.)

Getting back to the OP, I do think that many people are getting burned out, whether it's because companies are pushing sales/new products (people not buying because they've lost jobs or watching $$ because of reduced hours, etc.) or because they are home and realizing that they have SO MUCH stuff that they don't NEED to buy anything new.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 06:29 AM   #51  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am sorry about the mom stuff Regina. It is not easy being the "sandwich" generation-taking care of your family and kids and also taking of parents. I hope a way is found for her to have that level of care w/o it being you.

That is a good point. With us being home instead of out working....we have all this time to SEE our stashes. Not so easy to put on blinders coming and going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 11:34 AM   #52  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Hi Regina,
I am so sorry to hear about your mom and your struggles with caring for your mom. My mother had congestive heart failure for years, and the last two and a half years of her life, she lived in a senior residence right near us. She wanted to move in with us, but we have a split level home, which meant stairs everywhere. She was unable to use stairs at all, so we had to move her into a small senior apartment. They cleaned, cooked all her meals, and she had company if she wanted it. My husband and I worked full time, so she had people around here more than if she lived with us. I know she would have preferred to live here with me, but I felt this was the best option for all. Hugs to you as you deal with all of this.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 11:38 AM   #53  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I am sorry about the mom stuff Regina. It is not easy being the "sandwich" generation-taking care of your family and kids and also taking of parents. I hope a way is found for her to have that level of care w/o it being you.

That is a good point. With us being home instead of out working....we have all this time to SEE our stashes. Not so easy to put on blinders coming and going.
Not only are we home more, so able to see how much stuff we have, but many of us are crafting more as well. The experience of trying to find things and not being able to get past the piles of supplies and stamping tools, has made me realize exactly how much I've accumulated. How in the world have I ended up with boxes full of baggies, full of crazy assortments from buttons to tiny die cut, to stickers, to ribbon scraps?! Eeek!
Now I'm organizing and even purging a bit, so that I can use what I have and actually make something instead of accumulate. I think a lot of crafters realized they've been collecting supplies, but not really using them. If we just grab a few of those items that we've been buying and storing, I think a lot of the mojo will eventually return.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 05:42 PM   #54  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 976 Likes on 475 Posts

Aside from the strange year we just had, I’m guessing this sort of thing (people stepping back or down) happens every so often. When I look through the tutorials and see names of people who once contributed a lot but are no longer active I always wonder if they’re crafting anymore. It could be that they’re just busy (family needs change) or decided to scale back and just create for themselves.

Maybe we are more aware because of the popularity of videos?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2021, 11:20 PM   #55  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

With us being home instead of out working....we have all this time to SEE our stashes. Not so easy to put on blinders coming and going.
I've worked from home for nearly a year now. While I much prefer that to being in an office, I work in a corner of my craft room with my back to the craft table. Usually I'm pretty good about not looking round, but on slow days, it's really difficult
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2021, 08:39 AM   #56  
Proud Fan Club Member

That's a good point Adriana. We have lost of a lot of people posting and I am not even here as long as many others.

Sadly we have lost more members than I care to think about to illness. Including some early tutorial teachers :( But we have the gift of their knowledge, craft and sharing forever.

Also true Karen. As we interact more with our stashes we are being reminded just how much we have and that might depress/overwhelm some people instead of charging them up to use it or purge it.

LOL Stampnatter...I dont know if I could do that. Try to do paid work in the same space...I suspect I would be distracted and want to play. I might have to put up a screen wall or something...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 06:51 AM   #57  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in the same boat everyone here seems to be in. (Maybe, we need to be in a ship, there are so many of us!)
I too, at the beginning of the pandemic, started buying stuff. I find wood mounted stamps to be a little piece of art. I started to purchase lots on eBay. I got a lot of stamps fast. I had them sorted into flats according to the subject. My husband built shelves so I could buy fabric bins to put them in to. Well, the first 9 bins filled up quickly and I still had flats, and packages of more stamps continued to arrive, weekly. I am now filling the last 9 bins and have stopped looking for more stamps.
Next, I am hoping to go through all my color pencils, watercolor pencils, alcohol markers, fine line markers that are in tins, and lovely containers. I hope that placing them in cups where I can see them will inspire me to use them!
I also realized I spend more time looking and purchasing items, than actually using them.
When I first started and had fewer craft products, I produced more!
I think I need a 12 step program to stop this cycle of thinking that if I had the right, better product, I could produce something better.
Wish me luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 11:16 AM   #58  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mischelle1View Post
I also realized I spend more time looking and purchasing items, than actually using them.
When I first started and had fewer craft products, I produced more!
I think I need a 12 step program to stop this cycle of thinking that if I had the right, better product, I could produce something better.
Wish me luck!
You are not the only one who could use a 12-step program for craft supplies. If you start one, let me know. I'll join -- but first, just one more purchase, or two, or three.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2021, 02:08 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

My Ottlite bulb burned out last night and I had to order one from Michaels online...and pick it up today. I purposely planned to do curbside pickup, so I wouldn't go in and start browsing. Oops, I forgot my phone at home so couldn't let them know I was there. Yup...had to go in to pick it up.
And yup...had to start browsing the aisles.
HOWEVER, big pat on the back to me because I did NOT buy a single thing! I kept picking up things and looking at them, then asking myself if I already had one (or two, or ten) of these already in my stash. I saw that packs of 100 sheets of shimmer cardstock were on sale and oh my goodness...that was hard to pass up. However, I reminded myself that I already have enough card stock to build a community of paper houses...so I put them down.
I walked briskly out to my car, got inside and drove home. Put my new Ottlite bulb in my lamp and now I'm sitting here all proud and happy. I'm finding that making do with the stash I already have is actually jump starting my creativity. Fewer options mean more gets done.
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 02-10-2021 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2021, 07:43 AM   #60  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Melissa59,
If I could start a group for over purchasing craft stuff I would. My issue is I live near Death Valley. For over 20 years, I would have to plan a trip to the city to purchase craft products. It would take me a full week, looking at magazines for ads, to find new items. Then a full day to make the trip (about 150 miles one way.

5 years ago, we got the internet installed at our home. (before using the internet, we'd travel to the library (20 miles one way).

Now, all of the craft new products were a click away. I just couldn't help myself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 09:29 AM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I was actually referring to Altenew. I do like their stamps and they have branched out into markers, etc. However, I think I get at least one email from them each day, there is almost a weekly new stamp set, die, etc., and now I am getting text messages too. In my opinion it is just too much and is turning me off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 10:06 AM   #62  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
I was actually referring to Altenew. I do like their stamps and they have branched out into markers, etc. However, I think I get at least one email from them each day, there is almost a weekly new stamp set, die, etc., and now I am getting text messages too. In my opinion it is just too much and is turning me off.
I agree with you about being turned off by the daily & weekly email announcements from companies regarding their "new" stamp and dies.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 12:21 PM   #63  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I asked Altenew to stop emailing me after feeling overwhelmed by their emails, but when I had a problem with an order it was sort of crickets chirping. I thought I would miss them so much, but I actually kind of forgot about them until your comment brought it all back again. Too much contact becomes white noise and you tend to look past their products. Sometimes it just is so annoying you need to ask them to stop. It is too bad they don't recognize it themselves because it costs them sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #64  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I get emails from Crafter's Companion every day. They seem to be launching new products and/or product lines every day as well. They also have their own channel with shows all day. I wish they would create more videos and how-tos for the products I've already spent so much money on, and less on what they just released. It's a real turn-off for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2021, 04:54 AM   #65  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen3000View Post
Ok, interesting! I don't follow them. Sabrina was right that I was thinking of Unity.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes