Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #121  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the best threads ever!! Its so good to know that there are others like me out there (well, aside from the obvious stamping obsession).

I currently drive my 6 yo DS insane with my constant battles against him picking up so many of our local "non-language." We are in the most central part of KY, and though I hate to propel the stereotypes, the misuse of grammar is rampant.

But just as big for me is when I see cards/projects printed in magazines or catalogs that have errors on them. They become like a bad wreck to me and I can't look away. (hmmm.. I don't have a problem looking away from accidents, but you know what I mean)

I will second what was said earlier about blogs, chatting, etc. No big deal when I see typos, slang, whatever. But when it comes to putting it in print that was MEANT to be editted.... I get a little Type A, I guess.

Maybe that's what you should rename this thread... "Type A and lovin' it!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #122  
Die Cut Diva

Default I can relate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfaddenView Post
Several hundred years ago when I attended the Intro weekend for college freshman I had no idea what people were saying. I grew up in South Florida, of Yankee parents and was thrust into the north GA slang. Not only could I not understand people due to the accent, but such words!

I'm fixing to, down yonder, I reckon, I'm gonna carry her.... I had no idea what was being said. At one point a girl asked if she would have enough time to fix her clothes between appointments. I thought she needed help sewing on a button and offered to help her. I was then asked to stay after the meeting and was called to task for asking that question. The leaders had no idea that I had no idea what was being said, referred to. So I let them know in my yankee way that to me to fix means it was broken.

After living in the South for too many years to count I claimed to be a Southerner and we do have our own language!

There's nothin' quite like learning to interpret the language! My parents are originally from Maine, but we lived in KY since I was 4. But even then it was on/close to the Army base. Until I was about 13. We moved to central KY and I met the man who is now my DH. Wow! Was it ever hard to get used to REALLY living in KY!

I am quite proud of our accents now (finally got one myself!) and agree that coloquiallisms (sp?) can be a wonderful part of regional identity. But it sure was hard getting used to hearing things like "roont" (ruined) and "I got sugar" (I've got diabetes.) And we won't even begin to discuss getting used to the food!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 AM   #123  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColettaView Post
It REALLY bugs me when people use "your" for you are, when it should be "you're.

I am like Rainman when it comes to identifying spelling errors. I think I missed my calling in life to be a proofreader. It's a bit of a curse to be able to easily pick out other people's mistakes, or so my husband tells me ;-}

Coletta
LOL!! My husband says the same thing about me. Mispelled words and typos might as well be in bold print when I am reading. I swear sometimes they jump out to me before I've read a single sentence! Of course, I am always hesitant to admit that because now MY typos will be much more apparent and laughable to everyone else reading this!

To the OP, I would have a mind to point it out to the company, whether it be on a stamp or in their catalog or website text. Not that it is critical to most people, but I think it does refelct on their professionalism and they SHOULD care, even if they might not.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:46 AM   #124  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papertrey InkView Post
It was me! :oops: A few individuals just pointed the error out to me and sent me a link to this thread as well. Grammar is not one of my strong points, but it is something I continue to work on (especially now that all of my errors are very much publicized!).

Why is it in this day and age that there isn't some kind of software on the market that can help me with my grammar disability?!?!? *wink*

My goodness, they have voice activated GPS units for cars and vacuums that clean an entire room by themselves. Bill Gates, do you hear my plea?!??

Thanks for the heads up, ladies! Our website has been corrected!

xx
Nichole
Hey, at least you spelled vacuums right- that one always stumps me--- one c or two??! (Of course, if you didn't spell it right then I wouldn't know because... That one always stumps me. LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #125  
Rubber Obsessor

I've heard the phrase "Spaced It" plenty of times. Rather than saying "I spaced out and forgot to do that", I might say "I totally spaced it!"

Teresa Hall
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 09:57 AM   #126  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=Gina K. Designs;8372184]LOL! You are too funny...see? I do need a proof reader. And I get a lot of emails from people correcting my grammar, punctuation and all kinds of things on my blog and website. I'm a mess. I can't seem to get it right!!!

Gina, I will help you on the days I am in the store - after all, isn't that why I am there?!??

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:22 AM   #127  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
I get annoyed when I see "scraping" instead of "scrapping." For example, when someone writes that they "scraped their children today." Just weird.
of course, when you say it out loud, "I scrapped my kids today" sounds a little weird too! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #128  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

anyone ever seen The Princess Bride? I will paraphrase because I can never remember a quote completely. I do not think that word means what you think it means.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:29 AM   #129  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

My biggest pet peeve is when the school sends a paper home and something is misspelled. The two that come to mind: calendar was spelled calander and this week we got a paper that says "No late orders will be excepted".

The first time I called the school, and this time my husband is going to email the principal. Maybe a little extreme, but misspellings coming from a school are unacceptable!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #130  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuGView Post
of course, when you say it out loud, "I scrapped my kids today" sounds a little weird too! LOL!

I have been reading this thread and saying that sentence over and over....I could not for the life of me figure out what it ment until you put the "I" on scrapped my kids.

I have never heard that before and my imagination was running with it! :rolleyes:

-Isha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:11 AM   #131  

Quote:

Originally Posted by guateliciaView Post
The first time I called the school, and this time my husband is going to email the principal. Maybe a little extreme, but misspellings coming from a school are unacceptable!
You sure you don't mean unexceptable? Maybe they would understand that. HAHAHA...okay...couldn't resist.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:20 AM   #132  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kristin MooreView Post
... Mispelled words and typos might as well be in bold print when I am reading. I swear sometimes they jump out to me before I've read a single sentence! ...
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!!!

I am the most annoying red-pen person you would ever want to meet. I correct people's grammar in meetings (usually to add a 'ly' to a word.) And when asked to proof-read a document or email for someone, I jump all over the grammar before I ever focus on the content. I just cannot get past it!

I even correct myself sometimes - while speaking! "Do you have a knife I can open this with (with which I can open this)?"

And one of these days I plan to do a Blog Rant on "The Demise of the Hyphen". :twisted:

BTW, are you aware of why PA had to change their license plates? The phrase on the plates said, "You've Got A Friend In Pennsylvania". Apparently some grammar freak (!) pointed out to them that that statement should have read "You've Gotten A Friend In Pennsylvania" or "You Have A Friend ..." :rolleyes:

And yes, *I* would have mentioned the error.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM   #133  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Ha, I would've noticed that one too. Years ago I used to collect Japanese stationery items, and I was a huge eBay shopper. I always had to search for both spellings of the word, because it was such a commonly mispelled word.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM   #134  
Crimping Master

This thread made me giggle as I have a 4 year old who is learning the correct use of "her" and "she" and today she corrected her 14 year old brother. Priceless!!

"Typo's" really bother me when I find them in newspapers. Don't they actually pay people to proof read that stuff? I've seen some on our AFN tv commericals too and that really bothers me too.

I think what really bothers me to actually see written is "I seen it". THAT drives me insane!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM   #135  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Hi Courtney!

I would tell. I would want to be told if there was an error on my blog or anything else that I had written!

Should there be a comma after blog? Yikes, I'm outta here before I embarrass myself.
Nope! No comma needed. The *or* is the division between the two items.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by karla56View Post
Now we should all go and read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves"!
Hilarious book. Then again, only proofreaders seem to get it.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #137  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by se_tacstamperView Post
This thread made me giggle as I have a 4 year old who is learning the correct use of "her" and "she" and today she corrected her 14 year old brother. Priceless!!

"Typo's" really bother me when I find them in newspapers. Don't they actually pay people to proof read that stuff? I've seen some on our AFN tv commericals too and that really bothers me too.

I think what really bothers me to actually see written is "I seen it". THAT drives me insane!
Typos annoy me in newspapers, too - especially when I'm the one who's missed them! :mrgreen: Yes they really do pay people to proof-read that stuff but when you have a million things to do and a deadline hanging over you like a black cloud, things get missed. And it's weird how typos are sooooooo much easier to spot once the paper is printed! :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #138  
Failed Lurker

If I posted all my pet peeves, SCS would crash. My current peeve is the Carte Postale set. I'm concerned about the "Mon Amie" stamp. Surely, "mon" is only applied to male nouns, yet "amie" is the word for female friend? So shouldn't it be "mon ami" or "ma amie"? I'm not 100% sure but it still bugs me.

Also, I was taught that if you were referring to any old friend, you'd say "un ami" or "une amie" (depending on gender) - you'd only use "mon" or "ma" if it was your boyfriend or girlfriend. So that makes the stamp useless for anyone other than your transgender significant other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #139  
Failed Lurker

And another thing... before I go to bed. Please DO let me know if you see any typos or spellos on my blog. I NEED to know! :mrgreen: Because they would irritate me enormously.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #140  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BagpussView Post
If I posted all my pet peeves, SCS would crash. My current peeve is the Carte Postale set. I'm concerned about the "Mon Amie" stamp. Surely, "mon" is only applied to male nouns, yet "amie" is the word for female friend? So shouldn't it be "mon ami" or "ma amie"? I'm not 100% sure but it still bugs me.

Also, I was taught that if you were referring to any old friend, you'd say "un ami" or "une amie" (depending on gender) - you'd only use "mon" or "ma" if it was your boyfriend or girlfriend. So that makes the stamp useless for anyone other than your transgender significant other!
I'm a little wary of writing anything in this thread but go ahead a red pencil me if I mess up.

I'm dusting off my college French here. "Mon Amie" is correct because when a singular feminine noun starts with a vowel you use the masculine possesive because otherwise you'd have two vowels together and that doesn't flow well. Ma Amie is awkward to say. Although for me, even though I took French in college and love to hear it, everything is awkard for me to say - they have so many rules and a different word for almost everything. "Un ami" and une amie" are correct because there aren't two vowels together. Hope that makes sense.

So go ahead and use your Carte Postale set with no worries. Except for the worry of that being a term for a girlfriend instead of just a girl friend. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. Anyone?
HTH
April

Last edited by stampintoo; 01-16-2008 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #141  
Doo
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by amymcgsView Post
I grew up with two parents who were BOTH English teachers. My dad once corrected grocery signs with a red pen. Grammar errors jump out at me as a result of my genes.

I would point out a mistake to the company, and I definitely couldn't buy the stamp myself.
HAHA, I had a great aunt like that. My mum would send her letters (back in the day when people actually put pen to paper), and she would return them corrected with red pen. It was hilarious!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 05:02 PM   #142  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoosierMamaView Post
I get annoyed when I see "scraping" instead of "scrapping." For example, when someone writes that they "scraped their children today." Just weird.
LOL funny! I also hate the whole me vs. I thing. Why can't people get it straight? It is SO easy!!! Don't get me started on that! Scraping kids...HAHAHAHA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #143  
ked
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizzieView Post
Okay Kirsten you can help me round up some slang for a sentiments set. It would be fun to do the BFF and KWIM and OMG stuff too. I mean it would be totally fun. Okay I've got to stop with the totallys. I mean I've totally got to stop. aaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!
No problem!!! I'll be thinkin'... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:18 PM   #144  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJView Post
Hilarious book. Then again, only proofreaders seem to get it.
I LOVED Eats, Shoots and Leaves, and I am not a proofreader (or is that proof-reader? :-)); I am just an annoying Red Pen Queen. Perhaps I missed my calling? Though if I had to proof other people's stuff all day long it might drive me to drink.
My blog:
The Crooked Stamper
Dear spell-checker, "bling" is SO a word. Pffth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 06:29 PM   #145  
Matboard Maniac

Along with grammar issues...I also have issues with the cent sign used with a decimal point, esp. in a grocery store. For example: .98 cents/pound.....do they mean 98 cents a pound? I'm sure they don't mean 98 hundredths of a cent per pound! Yet they use both! That's just the math teacher in me speaking out. MaggieSt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 07:01 PM   #146  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaggieStView Post
Along with grammar issues...I also have issues with the cent sign used with a decimal point, esp. in a grocery store. For example: .98 cents/pound.....do they mean 98 cents a pound? I'm sure they don't mean 98 hundredths of a cent per pound! Yet they use both! That's just the math teacher in me speaking out. MaggieSt
This drives my DH nuts too! At the store the other day, he told me I was overcharged. Gee, I thought something on clearance cost two dimes, and it did ring up as $0.20. He said the sign said it cost .20 cents, so I was overcharged by more than 19 cents!

Years ago, he tried to correct the manager at a Wendy's for advertising .99 cent hamburgers. The prices were painted on the windows. It would have been easy enough to remove the decimal points, (or the cents sign) but it was still incorrect a week later. We think that the manager just didn't understand why we said he was using false advertising.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 07:34 PM   #147  
Kookie Creator

Try to be southern and live in the north! My dd brings home homework from the 1st grade and I have the hardest time helping her with her vowel sounds...she says that I don't say it like her teacher! For the life of me, I can't say dog, wolf, ten, pen, or oil correctly. I have an extrememly heavy accent. You don't notice it until you move away. Most one syllable words I say as two..It really is difficult. But of course like my grandfather use to say, "I am fixin to learn you somethin!"

I work at a bar, and the first thing everyone asks is, "Where are you from?" Of course, I answer, "my mama."

ps...if I have grammer errors, no need to correct, I type like I speak - nuf said

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:34 PM   #148  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintooView Post
I'm a little wary of writing anything in this thread but go ahead a red pencil me if I mess up.

I'm dusting off my college French here. "Mon Amie" is correct because when a singular feminine noun starts with a vowel you use the masculine possesive because otherwise you'd have two vowels together and that doesn't flow well. Ma Amie is awkward to say. Although for me, even though I took French in college and love to hear it, everything is awkard for me to say - they have so many rules and a different word for almost everything. "Un ami" and une amie" are correct because there aren't two vowels together. Hope that makes sense.

So go ahead and use your Carte Postale set with no worries. Except for the worry of that being a term for a girlfriend instead of just a girl friend. I'm afraid I don't know the answer to that. Anyone?
HTH
April
When I typed it and said it in my head it sounded awkward so what you said makes sense, thanks! The girlfriend business might be out of date, I don't know - we need a French person for that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 10:40 PM   #149  
Mad Swapper

Default What NOT to do...

I just came across this thread and I think it's hysterical! I can tell you what NOT to do if you want to contact a company about a possible error. Do not start the 'conversation' in a public forum--I made that mistake because I had seen a project and not the actual stamp set and was just hoping it wasn't a part of the stamp so I questioned it immediately. Hindsight is always 20/20--I shouldn't have brought it up in a public forum. It just wasn't appropriate and I know better--I should have thought it through and sent a PM from the start. Anyway, once I saw the actual stamp image and saw there was in fact an error, I sent a private message to the company explaining the error. However, the company didn't really see it as an error because they thought the two spellings of the word in question were interchangeable. They put a post on the public forum with a link to the dictionary saying the spelling was an acceptable alternative (with no regard to the part of speech!). I tried sending another private message explaining the difference between the two spellings hoping they would just explain the different ways one could use their stamp in the correct context, but they never did. I ended up explaining the difference in that same public forum I mentioned earlier because I thought it was important to point out the two spellings were not interchangeable. In the end, I felt like an idiot for bringing it up because it seemed like people thought I was trying to bash the company when really I wasn't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #150  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

This thread is so funny, but I find I would buy a product if it read how I talked, even if the grammar was not quite correct. "It was I" just sounds weird, "It was me" is what I know. I don't think I would actually buy a stamp that said something like "It was I".

I had never even heard of ""I spaced it/I spaced out". Ha ha, come to NZ, you'll hear a whole new set of slang then. And we even add letters to words "color" is "colour" for us, that is normal to me. So if I were to buy a stamp set that said "color" I would never use it, as no one I knew would know what I meant.

We have "togs" instead of swimsuits, "jandals" instead of thongs", "college" instead of high school in a lot of places too. So I think you have to take grammar with a grain of salt sometimes and realise that everyone speaks differently (yes, that's another thing we do, substitute "s" instead of "z" all the time ie realise is normal for us).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:16 AM   #151  
Kookie Creator

My pet peeve is when I see "walla" used when the person really means "voila". For some reason this really sends me over the edge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:43 AM   #152  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Typos annoy me in newspapers, too - especially when I'm the one who's missed them! :mrgreen: Yes they really do pay people to proof-read that stuff but when you have a million things to do and a deadline hanging over you like a black cloud, things get missed. And it's weird how typos are sooooooo much easier to spot once the paper is printed! :rolleyes:
Um, yeah. I worked as an editor for years, and not much got past me, but when it did, oh, lordy, did I feel stupid, even though I understood perfectly how it happened.

I've also taught college English and know too well that mistakes easily happen, so I'm very forgiving of mistakes in informal writing (most blogs, posts online, personal letters and emails, etc.). I would never, ever correct someone in those situations, under the philosophy "except for the grace of God, there go I." As for the person whose aunt returned letters corrected in red, rest comfortably knowing there's a special place in purgatory for people like that, LOL.

What eats at my shoots and leaves, so to speak, is when mistakes happen in professional writing. Not just simple typos, mind you, but significant errors that affect (not effect) the meaning of the writing.

For all you Stephen King fans out there, he made such a big error in his book on writing, I had to quit reading it. He ranted for several pages about "passive tense" and how you should never use it. Well, no such thing exists. The proper term is "passive voice," which definitely weakens writing. But jeez, if you're going to rant about it, get it right! I blame his editor. I hope he/she feels really stupid about it. :twisted:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 AM   #153  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, this has nothing at all to do with the OP, but since this thread seems to have wandered so far from that subject....

Recently there has been a proliferation (or maybe it's just because it's bugging me, so I see it everywhere- you know?) of the phrase "for free" and it drives me mad but maybe it has no reason to. Does anyone know? Some of you highly educated EM? To me it should be "free" or "for $1.99" or whatever .

Of course, I grew up in Scotland where we have our own highly original expressions for everything, and have lived all over the US before settling in the south, so it could just that I am a little whacked out from all that!

I have been told I have a lovely southern Scottish accent - I bet I could come up with some wonderful phrases for a stamp set. It might have a kind of limited audience though....

So anyhow, "for free" anyone?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 04:37 AM   #154  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampintooView Post

HTH
April
Yes, you are right. "Mon amie" is correct for a female friend. "Une amie" is also correct even though the vowel "e" in "une" is next to the vowel "a" in "amie", the "e" is not pronounced (it is just there to let you know to pronounce the "u" differently).

A girlfriend (instead of just a female friend) can be "ma petite amie" but it can also be "mon amie" depending on the context.

When I use this set to make a card for my DH, I leave the last "e" un-inked so it reads "Mon ami". This is very convenient for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 AM   #155  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Yes, you are right. "Mon amie" is correct for a female friend. "Une amie" is also correct even though the vowel "e" in "une" is next to the vowel "a" in "amie", the "e" is not pronounced (it is just there to let you know to pronounce the "u" differently).

A girlfriend (instead of just a female friend) can be "ma petite amie" but it can also be "mon amie" depending on the context.

When I use this set to make a card for my DH, I leave the last "e" un-inked so it reads "Mon ami". This is very convenient for me.
I was thinking about this on the way to work and realised you could ink just part of the word. Don't know why it didn't come to me before!
Thanks for clearing up the grammar - it's been a long time since I studied French!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 AM   #156  
Failed Lurker

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
This thread is so funny, but I find I would buy a product if it read how I talked, even if the grammar was not quite correct. "It was I" just sounds weird, "It was me" is what I know. I don't think I would actually buy a stamp that said something like "It was I".

I had never even heard of ""I spaced it/I spaced out". Ha ha, come to NZ, you'll hear a whole new set of slang then. And we even add letters to words "color" is "colour" for us, that is normal to me. So if I were to buy a stamp set that said "color" I would never use it, as no one I knew would know what I meant.

We have "togs" instead of swimsuits, "jandals" instead of thongs", "college" instead of high school in a lot of places too. So I think you have to take grammar with a grain of salt sometimes and realise that everyone speaks differently (yes, that's another thing we do, substitute "s" instead of "z" all the time ie realise is normal for us).

Do SU take into account your spellings in their stamps? I'm hoping they will for us because I wouldn't use a stamp that said "favorite".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #157  
Glitter Guru

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post

Thanks for clearing that up! I should have said vowel sounds instead of vowels. And leave it to me, in a thread about typos and grammar, it looks like I did a major typo on the word 'and'. :oops: So I'll red pencil myself and change that 'a' to 'and'.
Thanks for the reminder to ink up only a portion of the word - that makes the stamp much more versatile.
April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #158  
Polyshrink Goddess

So wheres this typo at?

(Sorry, I just had to put that in this thread!!!) ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #159  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post

What eats at my shoots and leaves, so to speak, is when mistakes happen in professional writing. Not just simple typos, mind you, but significant errors that affect (not effect) the meaning of the writing.

For all you Stephen King fans out there, he made such a big error in his book on writing, I had to quit reading it. He ranted for several pages about "passive tense" and how you should never use it. Well, no such thing exists. The proper term is "passive voice," which definitely weakens writing. But jeez, if you're going to rant about it, get it right! I blame his editor. I hope he/she feels really stupid about it. :twisted:
I had a political science textbook in college, written by the professor teaching the class, that discussed "pubic policy" for multiple chapters. The worst part- the book was in it's SIXTH edition. It was such a mess a friend and I would edit it during class and at the end of the semester left it under his door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #160  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Do SU take into account your spellings in their stamps? I'm hoping they will for us because I wouldn't use a stamp that said "favorite".
As a proud Canadian (and an intermediate teacher), I have not bought "Define your life" because of the "misspelling" of the word favourite. I know that's how it's spelled in the US, but it's a faux pas here.
Reply With Quote Likes