Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2015, 07:22 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 735 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Wounded Warrior Project

So-with the announcement that Operation Write Home is closing by the end this year (last cards to be received by Aug 1st) there has been a lot of posts of people wondering what to do now.

I got a brainwave and called The Wounded Warrior Project b/c it seemed like a natural evolution for people who like to support the troops to now send for the troops here who are in a difficult place in their lives and not able to run to Hallmark to stay in touch with family and say thank you to people in their lives.

Before raising it here, I wanted to find out if they had a mechanism to receive the cards, or wanted to point me in another direction.

The woman could not answer me right away but was directed to tell me to email them with the offer. She did say they have Operation Gratitude where people can just write thank you's directly to the troops-sounds a lot like Hero Mail at OWH.

Before I do that though, I would like to hear from you all if this sounds like a good idea to you that you would be willing to do?

She said she has a wounded brother and they do have local events for them to socialize and give them things so there might be a way for this to happen.

I did say we are very good at taking direction-like if they only want "thank you" cards or specific topics and that the quality of the cards is really high and the cost of cards is high-which these troops may not have financially since the person is wounded, possibly not working and/or spending their funds on getting well.

What do you all think?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My nephew is a Marine and was wounded on base last fall and is now in the Wounded Warrior program, so I'd be very interested in supporting these men and women.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 01:29 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 02:55 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've supported them for years now. I'd love a more personal way to contribute as well. Count me in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 04:00 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

No matter how many more say yes, I will contact them, but I would like to wait a bit longer and see if we can say a dozen for starters.

I am glad to hear someone here is familiar with the program directly. The woman who answered the phone said her brother is in it and he goes to play bingo and they win prizes-which could be a pack of cards.

This is in NO way meant to say stop sending to Sandy at OWH btw-but Aug 1st is only 2 1/2 months away now and it could take time for WWP to set this up for us. I know I cant be a collection point, living in a small apt. We need to be able to send to them directly.

How interested would people be in getting receipts like Sandy sends?

I would guess the no glitter rule would be lifted too? For our glitterati
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 04:27 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

In order to 'get a receipt like Sandy's' you would need to become a charitable organization. Then the receipts would be deductible.
I agree with No Glitter for all the reasons Sandy lists....it just gets on EVERYTHING and can be very irritating.
I would send cards if this becomes official.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 06:15 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

So harvest moon, are you saying WWP does not qualify as a charity in the right way?

Noticing that over 200 people have looked at this and only 4 have raised their hands, I went looking and I see a lot of bad press for WWP. I dont know what's true and isnt...but maybe this wasnt the right org for me to consider. I dont know that this the right place to debate that either. I'm too new.

The glitter issue as I understood it, was that the men in the field could get it on them and be visible to the enemy. These troops are here at home and that isnt a risk for them. That was my thought.

I guess I should let this go and think about another option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

WWP is set up as a non-profit charity.

You can check out WWP's page here: Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project or any other charity on Charity Navigator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 03:31 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
So harvest moon, are you saying WWP does not qualify as a charity in the right way?

Noticing that over 200 people have looked at this and only 4 have raised their hands, I went looking and I see a lot of bad press for WWP. I dont know what's true and isnt...but maybe this wasnt the right org for me to consider. I dont know that this the right place to debate that either. I'm too new.

The glitter issue as I understood it, was that the men in the field could get it on them and be visible to the enemy. These troops are here at home and that isnt a risk for them. That was my thought.

I guess I should let this go and think about another option.
The issue many people have with WWP is that so much of its budget is spent on fundraising (over 35%) and that the CEO receives over $350,000/yr. Granted, the organization generates over $200 million, so even with their high overhead they're still giving a lot, but some folks would like to see more of that going to wounded warriors and their families.

I have no doubt that WWP does good work and that their help is greatly appreciated. I have two sons in the military and am all for supporting our troops and their families. I'm just giving some insight into why the WWP gets some bad press.

Last edited by TheOtherMeg; 05-15-2015 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 05:41 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I looked at some of the other charities involved with the military, and some have worse ratings than Wounded Warrior, some have better. The dollar amounts vary greatly from organization to organization, as well. Wounded Warrior (probably because of their visibility, which is directly related to their fundraising expenditures) deals with more money than most of the others, and uses more actual dollars than most in funding its programs, even though the percentage of revenue is lower (mostly because of fundraising expenditures). It comes down to personal choice and confidence that your money (or other contribution) is going where you intend it to. My personal thought is that whether they're helping a little or helping a lot, at least they're helping...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

I keep mulling this over in my mind....I understand the issue the big charity consumer watchdogs have with them.

375K sounds like a lot but a lot of other institutions and groups pay a lot more. There is a theory that says you have to pay your top dog b/c you need people who can pull in the big money and there is competition for them.

Sue you make a good point-any help is better than none. The question is to me now-they are much better known than in the past, so could they downshift on the advertising (I see tons of tv ads and those are very expensive in my NE market) a bit and have more go to the people? That isnt going to get answered here though.

Maybe a better choice would be for people to approach their local PXes and ask them if they would take them and sell them cheaply (just b/c I cant see them giving them away) and then all Vets could have access to the cards? Or maybe contact their local office of WWP and see about giving to them?

But at this point-some 300 people have looked at this and still few have stepped up. This is such a massively giving place, that number screams at me that right or wrong-there is a bad perception of WWP. As said, this is personal preference kind of thing and there is no right or wrong to that too.

I was just trying to find another military type place since that is OWH's focus.

I am sure we will figure something out. As said there are already other charities available.

In a bit of irony, I have an ad on my screen right now to donate to WWP! I know it is b/c I went to the site a couple of times.

In any case I really appreciate the responses. When 50 people had looked and no one posted I really thought I had laid a big egg. Not something you ever want to do, but especially not as a newbie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 10:27 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

I would stamp and send cards for WWP if all the details were set up and we could find the information out here as to what they wanted for themes and where to send them.

What I loved about OWH was that once I heard about them I could go to their web site and find out all I needed to contribute.

I don't stamp a LOT, but I did like having a place to donate for our military if I got "on a roll" or wanted to dedicate some craft time to creating cards specifically to give away.

So...count me in if you get it all set up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 10:34 AM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Point being: I expect that WWP will not be administering our card giving like OWH was, unless they agree to receive our cards, distribute them directly to soldiers, and agree to send each of us who donate a tax deductible receipt, it will not be the same process as OWH with a 'single person' handling things....AND We won't have Sandy's neat videos!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 12:28 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Point being: I expect that WWP will not be administering our card giving like OWH was, unless they agree to receive our cards, distribute them directly to soldiers, and agree to send each of us who donate a tax deductible receipt, it will not be the same process as OWH with a 'single person' handling things....AND We won't have Sandy's neat videos!!!
I never expected it to be as cool as OWH with the tutorials, the sketches, the featured friday card maker, the opening of boxes, etc.

I just wanted to know if people wanted me to ask them if they can send a receipt usable for taxes when I contacted them.

And the idea was for them to admin this. I was looking for them to tell me where we could send the cards to. Since I understand they do give stuff to their clients, (I dont know what they call the participants) I dont know if they have a central collection/distribution warehouse or what. I would have found all that out.

There will never be another OWH. Sandy is a unique blessing on the earth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 05:31 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

For now, until we find out more, maybe we can focus on the SCS Cards for a Cause effort? I just finished some cards for the May effort, supporting a church in Florida that a SCS member suggested. I believe there is a new cause each month, and it doesn't feel so overwhelming as some good souls here are organizing it, and the rules are quite flexible. Thank you organizers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2015, 08:57 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

... In any case I really appreciate the responses. When 50 people had looked and no one posted I really thought I had laid a big egg. Not something you ever want to do, but especially not as a newbie.
I don't think you've laid an egg at all. Unless maybe it's a golden egg. Please don't be discouraged by low response at the beginning. I think people have a hard time jumping in when they are unclear about what they are committing to. I've found the folks at SCS to be kind and caring. I think that as you clarify your plans and get details worked out, that you will find more and more people on board. So whether you work something out with WWP or some other organization, I think you'll get support. Thank you for your courage to start something new.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2015, 04:55 AM   #17  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 592 Likes on 243 Posts

Wounded Warriors has a big budget and tons of fund raising because they donate the really big-ticket item like high-tech limbs, challenge athlete equipment and housing rehabs to make accessible homes for the more than 500,000 military men and women who have been wounded over the past 12 years of conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. On a smaller level, I've seen schools and scout troops assemble kits with toiletries, electronics, etc., for use in hospitals and rehab centers. Maybe that's where cards could be included. Please keep us posted if cards are desired.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wavejumper, I would have no need of receipts. And try not to be discouraged -- I agree with StamperDea that people like to have more details before committing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you for the kind words

I see my mistake now. I was not clear. I was just looking for interest-people MIGHT be interested IF they were willing to set up something, since they are sure to ask how many people are we talking about. Not commitments.

I apologize. I am not good with posting-much better in person communicating. I leave out important bits! :oops:

Ok then. I will email and see what they say and let you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2015, 08:34 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I didn't respond because I wanted to find out a little more about WWP first (which I still haven't had time to do, been a busy week)

If there is an organization set up that would take donations of handmade cards I'm definitely interested. I'm going to be sending to OWH until their deadline and then I'll decide what I'll do after that. I'm not going to stop making cards altogether, since it does look like there is a need right here on SCS, but I'm planning to start school in September and I just have to see how much crafting time I'll get then. Which is the main reason I'm not committing to anything right now, because I don't know what my life will look like in a few months.

Please keep us posted.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2015, 02:26 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I would be happy to send cards
Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #22  
Proud Fan Club Member

I sent the email. So far I got back a insta reply with some basic info. Let's see what happens. I'll post when I hear.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:55 AM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Location: Virginia, where we have the beach and mountains all in one state!!

I would love to send cards.

My "Small" Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 01:27 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Update:
I got an answer. WWP cant handle it. They referred me to Operation Gratitude.

Those guys seem to have a good rating (I looked them up) and imo, a much better website to negotiate. They make care packages for troops- active, vets and new recruits, and some others. I like the vets idea. Too many are living on next to nothing.

https://www.operationgratitude.com/

I already emailed them...so let's see what they say. Will update again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 02:57 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Update:
I got an answer. WWP cant handle it. They referred me to Operation Gratitude.

Those guys seem to have a good rating (I looked them up) and imo, a much better website to negotiate. They make care packages for troops- active, vets and new recruits, and some others. I like the vets idea. Too many are living on next to nothing.

https://www.operationgratitude.com/

I already emailed them...so let's see what they say. Will update again.
Wavejumper - First thank you for starting this thread and doing all the research. I just went to the Operation Gratitude site and agree with you, it looks like a very worthwhile organization.

I don't know if I can contribute cards, as I have a huge extended family (5 grown kids and spouses, and 19 grandchildren!) and barely manage to get all the holiday and birthday cards made, lol. If I can make extras, I will certainly participate.

At the Operation Gratitude site they say they need hats and scarves, too. My second love after cards is crocheting, and I'm excited about making hats and scarves which they always send for Christmas.

So, thank you again.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Holy cow Bugga! I'd be Bugg-y with so many people to tend to! LOL

The site is interesting and has a lot of other donation options as you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:16 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Holy cow Bugga! I'd be Bugg-y with so many people to tend to! LOL

The site is interesting and has a lot of other donation options as you mentioned.
Yes, large families are wonderful, but sometimes it can get pretty chaotic. Our youngest daughter has 8 great kids, ages 1, 3, 7, 9, 10, 12, 14 and 15! They came over this weekend for pizza and a visit, and this grandma was happy to see them, but really pooped out when they left.

My screen name, Bugga, is the name that my oldest grandson gave me when he was about 2 and learning to talk. He could say all kinds of things, but would not say Nana, or Grandma, or MiMi or any other grandma name. He insisted that I was "Bugga", and it stuck with all the kids since then.

He is a tall handsome 22 year old now, and it still warms my heart when he calls me Bugga in his deep baritone.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I am always looking for places to donate cards!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 02:32 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Great story Bugga!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 02:42 PM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Received 819 Likes on 536 Posts

I'd be happy to donate cards.

I love Bugga's story too :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 04:41 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Just bumping this up. :-)

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 PM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

I have been with OWH for many many years and feel kinda lost as to what to do with my cards. I donate to my local nursing home and to one other project, but still want to do something for the military. So, I too would be interested in donating cards and NO receipt would be needed. Waiting to hear what kind of response you receive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #33  
Glitter Queen

I am new here as a poster...came today looking to see if there were any suggestions to replace OHW. I would be glad to find a place to donate my cards. I also would not need any kind of receipt, just glad to donate. I will check back. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

Update: none really. I have not heard back so I am going to try to call next week on the phone after the holiday. They could be very busy with the holiday.

I am glad to hear people are interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2015, 01:22 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Another Alternative...maybe....

There's another organization that kinda works with Wounded Warrior called Hope for the Warriors - Gary Sinise is on the board and he and Lt Dan's Band are a large part of their visibility. All of Sinise's politics aside - the organization does good work!
They rank 96.3 on Charity Navigator.
I cannot take on a challenge like doing the legwork to see if they might be a good fit for OWHrs looking for a cause supporting military - but agree that it would be great to be able to continue supporting our troops. There may be a niche support opportunity in Hope For the Warriors that could use donated cards...

As a side note - Sinise is also closely linked with the USO - which may also be another avenue to pursue - either locally or nationally. Folks with bases close might be able to work with local USO offices ... which we don't have close to where I live, regretfully.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Golden egg

[QUOTE=StamperDea;20980341]I don't think you've laid an egg at all. Unless maybe it's a golden egg. Please don't be discouraged by low response at the beginning. I think people have a hard time jumping in when they are unclear about what they are committing to. I've found the folks at SCS to be kind and caring. I think that as you clarify your plans and get details worked out, that you will find more and {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252

I agree. As specifics become available, I believe you will see many more people step up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2015, 01:05 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

So...to sum up so far, it's a "no-go" for Wounded Warrior but they referred you to Operation Gratitude ( www.operationgratitude.com) which seems like a good fit. Plus they take other donations like hats and scarves ( for those of us that also knit or crochet) :-D The original poster of this thread...wavejumper...is attempting to get more details from them and will post when she has them.

Also, another poster mentioned Hope for Warriors for which the actor Gary Sinise is a huge supporter and visible "face" of the organization. That might also be a place those of us who are looking to donate our cards that help the military in some way can go,to now that OWH is shutting down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2015, 08:45 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
So...to sum up so far, it's a "no-go" for Wounded Warrior but they referred you to Operation Gratitude ( Operation Gratitude - Sending Care Packages to U.S. Military Operation Gratitude) which seems like a good fit. Plus they take other donations like hats and scarves ( for those of us that also knit or crochet) :-D The original poster of this thread...wavejumper...is attempting to get more details from them and will post when she has them.

Also, another poster mentioned Hope for Warriors for which the actor Gary Sinise is a huge supporter and visible "face" of the organization. That might also be a place those of us who are looking to donate our cards that help the military in some way can go,to now that OWH is shutting down.
Yep. That's it in a nutshell.

I didnt think this was going to be a one email/it's done thing. That's why I am starting now....so maybe by the time we stop for OWH there will be another place to go.

Nor do I want to give the impression I am making tons of calls. Not so far anyway. It's more like I am scouting ahead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2015, 06:04 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Update:
I got back an email from OperationGratitude and they seem interested. I hope to talk to them on the phone Monday. I just have to attend a funeral and stuff before then.

I saw where Sandy at OWH said that people are already bailing on her...so people might want to do an extra "push" now if they can.

Hope for Warriors looks promising too.

Last edited by wavejumper; 06-10-2015 at 06:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2015, 03:06 AM   #40  
Kookie Creator

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Update:

I saw where Sandy at OWH said that people are already bailing on her...so people might want to do an extra "push" now if they can.

Hope for Warriors looks promising too.
It's a shame folks are bailing early - cuz the Good Lord knows - those troops are not getting to come home "early"...
I've done some looking around for somewhere to go after while staying focused on the mission - and diligently filling a Large express box - I'm at 55 cards now (pictures of some on my blog) - with the intent of shipping 2nd week in July.
Reply With Quote Likes