Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Would you be willing to share your tips

I have read another thread about putting the sentiments in cards with your computer. I didn't want to hijack that thread, but I am looking for a little help.

For those of you who do use the computer on a regular basis to generate your sentiments, would you be willing to share your tips on how to do this? Do you print the card itself or do you cut what you have printed and then put it in the card? Do you print cards ahead of time? How do you figure out the placement of the sentiment on the card?

I have only printed my cards a couple of times, and I didn't think I was very good at it. It seemed to take me forever. Any help you could provide is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Annie
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

being challenged I print my sentiments on vellum and adhere that to the inside of my card. I have tried printing on cardstock and I never get it in the spot I want it. Also with printing it on the vellum sheet, if I am making a grouping of cards, then I can print the sentiment out several times on the same sheet and crop to the size I need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:01 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been printing off my sediments longer then stamping them because I like unique sediments to be personal to the person receiving them... On to your question.

I have always printed off sediments by themselves on card-stock, vellum and transparencies. Then I would either cut them out with my paper trimmer or use a nestie then place the sediment anywhere I want it to be on my card or scrap-book page. This is very easy and there are so many great sites to download sediments or you can write then out yourself- my favorite. This is the easiest way plus it always works since you are cutting out the sediment and then placing it onto the card. I call this the "dummy proof" way when talking to friends or my Mom who also makes card. When it comes to doing this I was unable to ever get my message where I wanted it, if I tried to print directly onto cards- so I had to find a Dummy Proof way ... I know alot of people are able to print directly on to the card or the layer of the card but I wasn't. So calling it Dummy Proof is what I call it to myself- never referring to others.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

When I print sentiments for inside, I do it on cardstock to place inside the card. I usually set it for the line to center. I cut it either just slightly smaller than the card or with a nestie or my paper cutter around the sentiment. It can give a nice finished look to the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:25 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not savvy using computer programs or templates, but this is how I do it.

I have Microsoft Word on my computer and this is what I use. For a standard card, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, I pull up a page and use the Columns tab at the top to set for 2 columns. I usually set the margins at 1".

You space down on the document to the bottom, and then your cursor will jump back to the top, which places it in the second column, which is on the right side of your page.

Then I space down to what looks to be the middle of the top half of the page, and type and center my sentiment. I adjust the font, size, etc., type my sentiment and then print it out on printer paper to see if it is in the right place. If not, I go back to the document and adjust it for spacing and print again. When it is in the right spot, I print on 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock. When cut in half this makes a standard cardfront when it's folded.

For a "horizontal" card, 5-1/2 x 4-1/4, I set the page layout to be "Landscape" and follow the same steps.

It's a little tricky to do the first one, but once you get it like you want it, you can use the same document again and again by renaming it and saving it, and just changing the sentiments.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually use MS Word to print my sentiments. I use a text box the size of the piece of paper I want the finished size to be. If I'm using a special piece of paper (such as a piece of cardstock or vellum) I first print my sentiment in rough draft on a plain piece of paper, then place my good paper over that and centre. I then use low tack tape to adhere that to the paper and run it through my printer again. I've even use this method to print on ribbon. Works well, but you need to feed it through your printer from the bypass tray (or the back on some printers) so that your paper isn't bent going through on the second pass. It may cause the piece taped on to come off and jam in your printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 490 Likes on 308 Posts

Usually when i print sentiments, i am printing for a mass production so i print them out in the color(s) of ink I want on GP cardstock or vellum or other full sized sheets of paper.
Then I cut them with Nesties or other ways to utilize inside the card.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Thanks for all your great tips!! For those of you who print on vellum... do you ever have problems with it drying, and how do you attach it to the card? I can see I need to find some time to do some practicing with a real card in mind, so I can understand what measurements, etc are needed. I am excited at the prospect of having so many options for the insides of my cards!

Please share more tips, if you think of any.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:55 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

great question, annie and great answers, everyone!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
...For those of you who print on vellum... do you ever have problems with it drying, and how do you attach it to the card? ...
I use a spray fixative over the ink after I let it dry. I find that even if the ink is dry, it will still smear on vellum. You could use hairspray as well. For attaching velum, I usually mount it on another piece of matching cardstock and use the corner adorner punches so that I can put adhesive on the backside and it won't show through on the vellum. I find even the vellum adhesive shows through. Or, I will use a brad to attach it, or put some other sort of embellishment over the spot where the adhesive is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 04:52 PM   #11  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I have always wanted to know how to do this and I am no whiz at it. I am printing this off and this is one fabulous question with super answers. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2010, 05:08 PM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

I use an inexpensive card program, PrintMaster, chose the card size and print the sentiments on a good quality computer weight paper, then fold and trim the folded paper so that it's 1/4" smaller on three sides than the card itself. I adhere it to the inside front of the card using ScorTape and leave the the half with the sentiment free, just as it is on store bought cards. Using a card program eliminates all the hassle of measuring or guessing....it's perfect every time.[IMG]//www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif[/IMG]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 02:50 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I usually use MS Word to print my sentiments. I use a text box the size of the piece of paper I want the finished size to be. If I'm using a special piece of paper (such as a piece of cardstock or vellum) I first print my sentiment in rough draft on a plain piece of paper, then place my good paper over that and centre. I then use low tack tape to adhere that to the paper and run it through my printer again. I've even use this method to print on ribbon. Works well, but you need to feed it through your printer from the bypass tray (or the back on some printers) so that your paper isn't bent going through on the second pass. It may cause the piece taped on to come off and jam in your printer.
This is what I do too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:12 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
This is what I do too.
Me three!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 05:22 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

I use my label program on WordPerfect (same as Word), set it for business cards & type lots of sentiments at one time. I have white and ivory business cards (comes in sheets of 20) & I can change the font, etc. Then I just have to adhere the business cards to the inside of my card. I have separate files for sympathy, birthday, etc., and whenever I have a full set I print them off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

Being completely computer illiterate these suggestions are going to be of some help. Thanks for asking this question and thanks for all the great suggestions.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

I finally figured out that typing is nice than stamping (on the inside). It's hard to find the right sentiment and stamping anything long doesn't look crisp and professional enough for me.

I now type out my sentiment, cut it with a Nestie and sponge with the Nestie left on. This adds a professional finish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 02:15 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

I love to print on small scraps. It helps me use up the scraps! I then cut them out and ink the edges or cut with a die of some sort and sponge the edges, etc. Depends on what I am looking for. Each card is different. I have a detailed tutorial with photos here on my blog. I hope you find it helpful! Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 05:10 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Thanks Patter and all for the great tips. I am excited to give your ideas a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 07:11 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

Great tips for printing 'inside' card sentiments and for printing on scraps!

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:22 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 80 Likes on 43 Posts

I have used clear full-sheet labels with great success. I type an entire sheet with sentiments, cut them apart and adhere them either to the inside or front of my card. These labels are matte, not glossy, so they virtually disappear on your card. They're made by Avery and can be found at any office supply store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:53 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for such wonderful tips. the label sheet idea is brilliance!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

subbing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2010, 09:18 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I too use the mailing label function in Word when I am doing classroom gifts, etc and I need many tags. Then, I punch out the printed sheet with a Marvy label punch. Then stamp something on the tag and add ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2010, 04:48 AM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have printed sediments on Vellum for years and never have had a problem with ink drying, never once. I buy Vellum in bulk (50 sheets) with a coupon at J's it usually costs 5-6 dollars for 50 sheets this way. I have used my Xyron or brads for adhering depending on the look I want.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:31 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

For the inside sentiment, typically I will computer generate the sentiment directly on the card base. I use MS Word and set the dimensions of the paper as the card......4.25x5.50. Choose landscape or portrait and depending on the orientation, move the left margin over or top margin down so that it will be the same as the inside of the card. The other margins I set at .2.

If printing on a separate quality linen, laid or silk paper, I will set the paper size to the inside of the card dimensions with a .2 margin on right and left and set it to center verticle.

In either case I do center the text verticle and horizontal.

I have several templates set up on my computer so I just have to enter in the text and print it out.

If I'm computer generating the greeting on the front of the card, I will do that on separate cardstock and then either use a Nestability to cut out a shape or use Center Point feature on my Expression and what ever shape from a cartridge I choose.

As long as you're comfortable using your computer and the MS Word program, it's very easy to do this and looks more professional than hand writing.

I also have the same templates in MS Publisher so I can exactly and precisely place text depending on the card and occasion. For truly personalizing a card, this works best for me.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Awesome ideas everyone, thanks so much for sharing your information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I have used clear full-sheet labels with great success. I type an entire sheet with sentiments, cut them apart and adhere them either to the inside or front of my card. These labels are matte, not glossy, so they virtually disappear on your card. They're made by Avery and can be found at any office supply store.
I love this idea! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm not savvy using computer programs or templates, but this is how I do it.

I have Microsoft Word on my computer and this is what I use. For a standard card, 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, I pull up a page and use the Columns tab at the top to set for 2 columns. I usually set the margins at 1".

You space down on the document to the bottom, and then your cursor will jump back to the top, which places it in the second column, which is on the right side of your page.

Then I space down to what looks to be the middle of the top half of the page, and type and center my sentiment. I adjust the font, size, etc., type my sentiment and then print it out on printer paper to see if it is in the right place. If not, I go back to the document and adjust it for spacing and print again. When it is in the right spot, I print on 8-1/2 x 11 cardstock. When cut in half this makes a standard cardfront when it's folded.

For a "horizontal" card, 5-1/2 x 4-1/4, I set the page layout to be "Landscape" and follow the same steps.

It's a little tricky to do the first one, but once you get it like you want it, you can use the same document again and again by renaming it and saving it, and just changing the sentiments.
This is exactly what I do! Even the reusing of the document by renaming and saving it. This way the words are already lined up in the right places...
Reply With Quote Likes