Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #121  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Rude, yes, jealous, yes and probably envious that you have the talent and yes, the time to do what you want! Anymore handmade cards, yes, just not as time consuming as you would make for someone who appreciates your talent! Just kill her with kindness, as I always try to do, Take the High Road and leave her on the Low Road, you will be the better person for it!

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM   #122  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow - I would be soooo cut to pieces and rather shocked that someone would say that to me in front of other people. I would be so flippin' mad but so wounded all at the same time. And I would be stewing about it - wishing I had said something clever at the time. I've had my fair share of similar stuff and even though I am always upset, I try and just let it roll off and not let it destroy my mojo. Nothing disappoints me more than someone putting someone else down in such a way - I mean - what was your SIL trying to achieve? Make you an enemy? And I think you have an incredibly big heart to offer an invitation for her to come and stamp with you - it shows what a lovely, kind and gentle person you must be. I'd be delighted to have you as my SIL any day!

Judging by all the responses on this thread, there are tons of people out there who understand how you feel - and I hope that (in some small way) it helps you feel better. So sorry you have been so hurt :( and sending you some {{{{{hugs}}}}}.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #123  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 179 Likes on 83 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbysGrammyView Post
I made Thanksgiving cards and sent them out to family and friends. They took a little time with punched turkeys and pumpkins and embossing and turned out really nice. We had a late Thanksgiving family dinner this weekend and one of my SIL's says, someone in this family has way to much time on their hands. I wish all I had to do was play with paper all day and she looks at me. I said, I guess some of us are just lucky, please pass the gravy. My first thought to myself, that's the last Thanksgiving card she gets and my second she gets a store bought Xmas card if any at all. Maybe her invitation to the family Xmas party at my house will some how get lost in the mail. I'm still alittle stuned by the remark.
I'd say she's either jealous, or doesn't know enough to appreciate beautiful craftsmanship. Either way, I'd like to think I'd just feel sorry for her, and NEVER waste any more "works of art" on her. More likely though, being Sicilian, I'd want to give her a knuckle sandwich!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #124  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! What a rude comment for someone to make. I don't know if I could've sat there without returning the jibe in some way.

Just to be good, I'd continue sending her the same homemade cards that are sent to other family members. And maybe find a special sentiment to write that includes mention of all that time you've invested in thinking of her.
;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:21 AM   #125  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Update: Guess who just called me, you got it, the SIL asking info about Xmas. She shays what ya doing? I told her playing with my paper and glue and loving it. I said why don't you come over and give it a try, you might like it. She says no, I could never compete with what you make. I told her, it's not a competition, it's fun and relaxing and there is no right or wrong way to do it. Still she says no. I think after the first of the year when I don't have so much to get done for Xmas it will be my mission to get her over here and get her stamping. I know I can win her over once I crack the ice.
I would have been a little hurt, too. She might have thought she was being funny (but was not, of course) and really doesn't think anything negative toward your hobby. Still, a store bought card would probably be in order, which is what I buy for people whom I know won't appreciate a homemade card. Yes, it is a blessing to be able to stay home and stamp! I am grateful for it every day.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:22 AM   #126  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Update: Guess who just called me, you got it, the SIL asking info about Xmas. She shays what ya doing? I told her playing with my paper and glue and loving it. I said why don't you come over and give it a try, you might like it. She says no, I could never compete with what you make. I told her, it's not a competition, it's fun and relaxing and there is no right or wrong way to do it. Still she says no. I think after the first of the year when I don't have so much to get done for Xmas it will be my mission to get her over here and get her stamping. I know I can win her over once I crack the ice.
Good for you!

I'd have had a hard time holding my tongue at Thanksgiving. I would have said something like, "Yeah, I took a break from my soap operas and bon bons to play with glue and paper." But then my defense for hurt feelings is typically sarcasm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 04:33 AM   #127  
Rubber Obsessor

The way I deal with mean people who seem to think I have too much time on my hands is to tell them that creating cards and paper crafts is therapy for me and it keeps me from killing mean spirited people
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 07:46 AM   #128  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by judysewView Post
The way I deal with mean people who seem to think I have too much time on my hands is to tell them that creating cards and paper crafts is therapy for me and it keeps me from killing mean spirited people
Love this response!
I would have liked to have smiled sweetly and said, 'Oh, a Bambi moment', waited for the puzzled look, and said' If you can't say anything nice......, however I would probably have been downright rude, and said' If I spent all day watching soaps/having manicures/ hairdos/ etc, I wouldn't have time for anything else either!'
Sorry, I'm a Leo, and my bite is at least as bad as my roar,lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #129  
Die Cut Diva

Or then again, a very small smile and say' I must be so out of touch, I hadn't realised it had become socially acceptable to insult your host.Still, to each his or her own- I'm sure I'd find a lot of the things you enjoy to be a waste of my precious time.' :rolleyes:
I worked in shops for many years, and the rudeness that you simply HAVE to put up with from some people is horrendous. So, I refuse to put up with it from anyone now. I call them on it, every time. I can't be kindhearted towards them, I'm afraid, I think it just allows them to feel that its acceptable.I work on the theory that it may make them think before they speak next time.;)
You could also have tried' was that intended to be an insult, or were you trying to be amusing?Personally, I always try to treat people the way I would like to be treated.':cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM   #130  
ckm
Rubber Obsessor

Wow! Did your SIL's comment bring on the replies. I think it was totally ungrateful. My mom actually looks at the back of store bought cards to try to determine how much they probably cost. You cannot change some people's heart or minds. I am in my 50s, and I feel the time ticking away on my clock. I don't get to enjoy this hobby as much as I would like but hope to one day. I plan on making a lot of cards and donating them to organizations. I did not have many hobbies growing up, and I plan to use my time as I see fit. You enjoy your hobby and let the SIL be too busy or whatever. You will gain the rewards from your time, energy, and thoughtfulness. Send her a funny dead turkey card next year! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 10:54 AM   #131  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a stamp that says, "This is a handmade card. Either I really like you or I have way too much time on my hands." you could use that and add a note saying, Yup! I DO have way too much time on my hands because I certainly don't like you! Ok, so I wouldn't do that but I get pleasure out of thinking about doing that. I always do Thanksgiving dinner at my house. Nobody ever helps with the food so it is a ton of work. Usually have between 15 and 20 people. This year I decided to make really detailed cute invites and mailed them. My DIL sent a text asking, "Is there a reason you are being so formal this year?" made me mad at first but then remembered how much she enjoys my cards and asks for help on her projects sometimes. I think people just don't always think before opening their mouths.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:27 PM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 179 Likes on 83 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ckmView Post
Wow! Did your SIL's comment bring on the replies. I think it was totally ungrateful. My mom actually looks at the back of store bought cards to try to determine how much they probably cost. You cannot change some people's heart or minds. I am in my 50s, and I feel the time ticking away on my clock. I don't get to enjoy this hobby as much as I would like but hope to one day. I plan on making a lot of cards and donating them to organizations. I did not have many hobbies growing up, and I plan to use my time as I see fit. You enjoy your hobby and let the SIL be too busy or whatever. You will gain the rewards from your time, energy, and thoughtfulness. Send her a funny dead turkey card next year! LOL!
That's sooo funny!! I thought my Grandma was the only one who did that looking at the back of the card to see how much it cost thing! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #133  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovellView Post
Sounds like something one of my SILs would say, too. Needless to say, I don't send any homemade cards or projects that direction! I realize that we are all passionate about our craft but we do have to realize that not everyone sees value in the same things. Yes, they could be more tactful about it, but everyone is not tactful. Just do what I do, which is to stop giving things that aren't appreciated to people that can't appreciate them. Save your heartfelt creations for those with a heart.
Yah, what Novell said!

I find it interesting when people criticise others without considering how they themselves spend their "spare" time. Personally, I'd rather craft at home than do lots of other things, like wander hallways of malls, or spend hours watching television.
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #134  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by grateful2bsavedView Post
That's sooo funny!! I thought my Grandma was the only one who did that looking at the back of the card to see how much it cost thing! LOL
My cards regularly cost thousands of dollars sometimes even millions if people look on the back ;) Its a standing joke in our family to give the most expensive card :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2010, 08:19 PM   #135  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by judysewView Post
Ooo, I like this - I'm storing that little gem away for my next cardmaking put-down!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #136  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJillView Post
II think people just don't always think before opening their mouths.
How true- I have a number of humourous fridge magnets, and a couple of them read:
Ensure that the brain is in gear before engaging the mouth,
and
It is true that light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:23 AM   #137  
Die Cut Diva

okay, I find myself coming back to this thread and reading all the great responses.... It would seem that we need a thread called "great responses to rude people" or "what would you say.....?" I agree that cardmaking and crafting of any sort is therapy... it is was makes us feel happy~ specially when it brings smiles to those who appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #138  
Glitter Guru

Someone I used to work with repeatedly said the same thing to me - that I must have too much time on my hands. She even said this when I made cards (and red, white & blue cupcakes) for two co-workers on Veterans Day. My response was, "Well, when something is important to me, I make time for it." She never said anything like that to me again.

I know it's more fun/satisfying to shoot a smart remark back to the rude people, but that just turns you into one. With family, the older I get, the better I get at just saying, "You know, your comment really hurt my feelings. Was that what you wanted to do?" That usually kills the snarkiness dead in its tracks. I just think, life is short, so let's get real. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 08:57 AM   #139  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Someone here on the board posted a good response to people who say such thoughtless, unkind things. She said to smile at them and say sweetly, "Is that really what you meant to say?" You will get probably get quite a look, and not much of a comeback.
OOh! That's a good one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #140  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
How true- I have a number of humourous fridge magnets, and a couple of them read:
Ensure that the brain is in gear before engaging the mouth,
and
It is true that light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until they open their mouth!
ROFL... I love those! Most of my family really need to live the first one so they resemble the second one less! Myself included. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 09:43 AM   #141  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

well, she spends way to much money going on too many vacations. hehehehehe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #142  
Insane Embellisher

very rude! She's probably jealous because she's not that talented! Just send her a store bought next time don't waste your art on her......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #143  
Stampin' Fool

I have finally reached the age where I just don't take crap from people anymore. Spent alot of years being the better person and letting sarcastic remarks or things that really hurt my feelings slide. Always family, not friends who say things. Well boys and girls, those days are gone gone gone. Have to tell you....it's very liberating. So, if somebody says something really nasty to me, they get it right back and I have to say I'm very good at it - lol. I officially took the door mat sign off my back. Hallelujah!!

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Reply With Quote Likes