Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it worth it to be a demonstrator/consultant

Hello All

I am feeling a bit down today. I am trying to figure out the direction I am going with my crafting. I feel compelled that if I am with a company like CTMH/SU that I should only purchase product from them.

I am a CTMH consultant who likes their stamps. I love SU's paper and embellishments. However, is it really worth it to be a demo for either side? Especially when I can go to a website and purchase stamps, paper and embellishments and sometimes get a discount and/or free shipping. Most of the time since these stores are in other states, I don't have to pay sales tax. Given that, am I really saving any money? At CTMH by the time I pay for the sales tax and shipping I have used up most of my discount.

There is also alot of pressure to make the minimums and in this economy it seems like its harder to find people interested in making a purchase for the same reasons its hard for me too. I also love to color and have started to invest in Copic Markers. These two stamp companies don't offer much in the way of line art.

Part of me really just wants to create projects, put them on my blog and maybe some day get on a design team. I love to teach but have really no desire to sell. I feel like people are already inundated with marketing from both CTMH and SU.

I know I am rambling and my direction is lost so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much

Michelle

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

I know *exactly* where you're coming from! I was a demo with SU for 6 years. I learned a lot and made some great friends, but looking back now, I wish I hadn't done it. I wasted a lot of money purchasing things to demo - and many times I liked the older version better, but could no longer use it at workshops. The final straw was when they implemented some policy changes which made it very easy to walk away. There are tons of fabulous products on the market from a wide-range of companies. I haven't purchase a single SU item in about 4 years now and don't miss it a bit - it's liberating being able to make whatever I want with whatever I want....
Be joyful because you have hope. Be patient when trouble comes, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12 (NCV)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I know where you're coming from. I had decided to join SU in order to get the discount for my own crafting. But, now as I look at other companies stamps, I'm not as thrilled with SU's. Plus, in Canada the quarterly min is $400 which (even with the discount) is a huge investment that doesn't go that far when you figure that a stamp set from other top companies are cheaper. I could get more from PTI for the same money and get a break on the shipping to boot.

I figure that I'll try ordering stamps and paper from Papertrey and Gina K before committing to SU. If I'm a demo for them, I wouldn't be able to meet their sales quotas and buy from other companies. And I really like the creative freedom to use stamps and colours that I want to use whenever I want. Also, a friend who is a career demo for SU advised joining during Sale-a-bration next year if I want to go the SU route. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:29 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm a SU demo for 8 years now, and I find it liberating to only purchase from myself. I can understand the problem right now with the economy being slow. But it seems to me that my customers buy what they want when they want it.

One new customer told me she couldn't sign up[which she first brought up to me]because she didn't have the money at that time. Then she went on to tell me that she bought a crickit[sp?] type machine that made cake toppings and she doen't bake. She spent loads of money on retired and current sets off ebay. What she told me about ran into the hundreds of dollars. So I think you buy what you want.

If you want to share your love through teaching then SU and CTMH are a way to do so and to earn some money for your habit while making new friends. It gives some structure to your hobby.

Whatever you decide, I wish you enjoyment in your hobby.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelleh38View Post

Part of me really just wants to create projects, put them on my blog and maybe some day get on a design team. I love to teach but have really no desire to sell. I feel like people are already inundated with marketing from both CTMH and SU.
If you are looking at stamping as being a creative outlet, you might want to be open to many different stamp companies. If you enjoy teaching, there is nothing to preclude you from teaching your friends/family about stamping and the many wonderful stamp/ink/paper manufacturers that exist. It doesn't seem like there would be any benefit to you to be affiliated with either CTMH or SU as you have no interest in selling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>

You cannot be on a design team and be an SU demo, so that may help your decision.

There are some current SU demos who are fulfilling design team contracts, but when those contracts are done, they are not allowed to be on design teams.

There are lots of opportunities to create and teach as a demo, though not wanting to sell means you might not be interested in clubs or workshops. Then again, maybe your "sharing & teaching" clubs/workshops will help you sell product without you having to hard sell it.

Glenda is right, too. You don't have to be a demo/consultant to teach & share. You can have clubs & workshops and use product you want.

back, forth, back, forth... I'm not helping, am I?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

There is a new direct sales company that is part of Unity Stamp Co. called Ippity stamps. They have stamps, some paper, and some ink. I think they are slowly introducing more of everything. I think people do classes with their ippity stamps and whatever other products they want, and it helps sell the stamps, but they also get the use whatever supplies they want. I don't sell it, but I've seen on blogs what people who do sell it are doing and it looks like they enjoy it.

I just like to be creative and post on my blog whatever. I love SU and use their stuff, but I love being able to use whatever I want. It's just a personal preference I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 PM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

I have been a SU demo for over ten years and I am close to calling it quits. I can't meet the quarterly $ amount any more and I don't feel there are really any worthwhile benefits to being a demo nowadays. And this new "color renovation" has made it seem like a good time to let SU go. It will be hard at first not to get those catalogs any more but I'm afraid that's the way it has to be in this tough economy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

In some ways it sounds like you've answered your own question. If you don't like to sell, then maybe it is time to leave? How about going into pending and just seeing how that feels?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I used to be a demo and loved getting all the sneak peeks, news, access to the SU demo forum, etc. - but I quit after meeting the minimums became too much for me. Now I'm happier just being a customer and I have learned to be patient for all the new stuff...lol...I'm not good at selling - but the buying part I have down pat!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Sheepishly confessing that I, too, bought stuff as a demo just on the off chance that I'd have to demo it. Add to that the mental trick of telling myself that I was getting it at a discount (paltry as it was), and it all added up to a craft room filled with impulse buys and stuff that went untouched for years. And I will be the first to say that the resale of this stuff is pennies on the dollar. It just doesn't move when the item becomes "stale".

After leaving SU last year, I feel liberated! I no longer have to meet minimums, I can buy less expensive items from other stores, and I buy only to please myself and no one else.

Now, my craft budget has been cut by nearly 75 percent compared to what I used to spend when I was a demo.

I still like my favorite SU stamps, papers, and inks, and use them all the time. But I also feel free to use other stamp and paper companies guilt free.

Wish I'd left the business end years ago! I would've saved a boatload of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 02:30 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

So, if I wanted to buy the starter kit, does that mean I have to sell and have parties? What's the penalty if you don't meet minimums? Do they make you reimburse them for discounted cost you get it at ? Sometimes I'd like to have the kit , but I'm just not a seller.

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 03:55 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

If you don't like to sell and like to use products from various companies then I don't really see the advantage to being a demo. Years ago when I thought about becoming a demo there was a lot less to choose from. With new stamp companies popping up almost daily, I can't imagine trying to limit myself to one company - although DH would be thrilled if I limited myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

So just buying a kit and never selling or buying another thing is not an option ?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by eaparhamView Post
So just buying a kit and never selling or buying another thing is not an option ?
That is totally an option. You can buy, give the selling a try, and if you don't like it you don't have to do any thing else. The kit is yours to keep...the SU! Police don't come getcha! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:29 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

With SU you could buy the kit, never buy a thing, and after one quarter and pending month of not meeting your sales quota you would be dropped. But, no you don't have to pay anything back to SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 04:48 PM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

Default thank you

I really was worried about the SU! Police.........I'll sleep better tonight !:lol:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 07:39 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was a demo and quit last September. I since have found a whole new world out there for stamping supplies. I still buy SU once in while but nothing like I was for the last 4 years.
My cardstock is now all PTI and my stamps are a wide variety of companies and I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tah Dah!View Post
I know *exactly* where you're coming from! I was a demo with SU for 6 years. I learned a lot and made some great friends, but looking back now, I wish I hadn't done it. I wasted a lot of money purchasing things to demo - and many times I liked the older version better, but could no longer use it at workshops. The final straw was when they implemented some policy changes which made it very easy to walk away. There are tons of fabulous products on the market from a wide-range of companies. I haven't purchase a single SU item in about 4 years now and don't miss it a bit - it's liberating being able to make whatever I want with whatever I want....
Pretty well describes my experience being a SU demo. Found myself always needing to purchase new items and put away the old. Spent way too much for what I made. I walked away when they implemented the IDA and haven't looked back. Just became Copic certified and am having a blast exploring other companies and teaching classes instead of trying to "Sell". Now if I had more hours in the day, but will be retiring in a couple of years and plan to spend a lot more time in my stamp room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2010, 09:23 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm an SU demo and I love it. My selling pays for my habit. I don't use any of my own money to buy stamps, etc. I have everything I want. Sometimes I buy other stuff for personal use.
I love it that my SU stuff gets lots of use - that's what stamps are for - to be used multiple times! I find my non-SU stuff sits around and gets used once or twice and that seems a waste to me.
Just my 2 cents!

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:16 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. I love all the input. To me I just feel like there is too much competition, too much variety to stay as a demo. If I can't be loyal to one company how can I expect others to be. I too find that I spend money on items because I thought I would need to demo them and now its mostly to keep my minimums. I feel like I have wasted money that could have been better spent on items that make me want to create. I think that I am going to stop being a demo and just start being me and create what makes me feel good inside.

Thanks so much!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #22  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

If you want a bunch of stuff but don't want to sell, then getting the kit (changing out what you can for stuff you do want instead of the stock offerings). Don't know if they still have it, but your first workshop order within a certain time frame is 30% off instead of the regular 20%. So, if you wanted a bunch of things, have no intention of selling or even long-term purchasing for yourself, get the kit, place your first big order to stock up, never sell/purchase anything else and you get dropped. You get to keep all your stuff - no problem.

I signed up as a demo because I was already buying enough to support myself as a demo, plus I had lots of friends who wanted to buy from me and attend classes (which they never did on either count). So, that left me buying for me which was okay for awhile until the compensation plan changes and finally this past fall with the new IDA. I buy very little SU now, lots from other companies and still spend much less than I did trying to keep my demo status. Plus, I can use whatever I want whenever I want, talk about and post links to other companies, etc. As a demo, you supposedly now have to watch what you link to, although there are lots of demos who still link to stuff they're not supposed to. Not being a demo saves me money and frees up my creativity.

Last edited by geogymnast82; 04-17-2010 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherMegView Post
>

You cannot be on a design team and be an SU demo, so that may help your decision.
Slight correction here - you CAN be on a design team - the Dirty Dozen is a great example!! There are also other DT opportunities with sketch challenges, like MOJO MONDAY and Jen Tapler's Sketches that don't require use of products from other companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have made up your mind, sometimes just talking it out and listening to some thoughts on both sides will cement your decision. Good for you!

I also toyed with becoming a demo. For about 10 minutes. Then I knew that the pressure to create when I didn't feel like it would take away the joy for me. I also love to share my love for the craft so once in awhile I host a group of friends, they pay me a little, we use my stuff and I do a bit of prep work for them but it's more a case of them ad libbing, if you will, and I teach them a few techniques but they make what they want. They go home with 3 cards, and they are pretty much all different because there is more liberty than a true workshop, I get some money to recoup my cost and it's all good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I was a SU demo for 3 or 4 years, then quit to switch to CTMH and after only 6 months with CTMH, came back to SU. I love it, but I'm just a hobby demo. I sell to friends and family only, never have workshops, so for me, it's easy. I am a SU paper and ink snob...even when I was selling CTMH, I would only use SU paper and ink. It was silly for me to switch. If I had to do it as a business, I'm not sure how I would do. Times are just tough right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I'm going to jump in here...

I am also considering becoming an SU demo. I have been for a while. I typically spend enough per month to make the quarterly quota (even in Canada!) and am wondering if it would be worth my while to get the demo benefits. My problem is that there are 2 other demonstrators within a 5 block radius of where I live. One of them is VERY successful and sells worldwide through her blog.

Does SU limit the number of demos within a single geographical area? Should I take the plunge and give it a shot or just stick with ordering my stuff through someone else? I already have a full-time job (I'm a teacher) and I'm a mom...am I kidding myself to think I can make this be worthwhile?

Thoughts would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:45 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

There are no limits on number of demos in any given geographical area. However, I think there is a room for all of us. I can see it being intimidating living so close to someone very successful (Andrea Walford, maybe? ) but it also can be very stimulating. Different people have different opportunities for meeting people and possibly turning them into potential clients or stamping buddies. I say go for it and see where it takes you. Don't be intimidated by others. Your business will be what you make of it, and as you said, you're spending the money needed anyway. Why not to get more stuff for your bucks if nothing else. Good luck.

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leena GView Post
I'm going to jump in here...

I am also considering becoming an SU demo. I have been for a while. I typically spend enough per month to make the quarterly quota (even in Canada!) and am wondering if it would be worth my while to get the demo benefits. My problem is that there are 2 other demonstrators within a 5 block radius of where I live. One of them is VERY successful and sells worldwide through her blog.

Does SU limit the number of demos within a single geographical area? Should I take the plunge and give it a shot or just stick with ordering my stuff through someone else? I already have a full-time job (I'm a teacher) and I'm a mom...am I kidding myself to think I can make this be worthwhile?

Thoughts would be appreciated...
Not to be a pointdexter about the rules but if she's doing this she's knowingly breaking the SU Demo agreement. We're strictly forbidden from selling across international borders. This allows for demos in the US to sell to US customers and Canada, UK, France, Germany, etc etc to sell to their citizens. The only exception is selling to APO/FPO (military) addresses overseas.

If you offer something different than other demos in your area you'll get customers. Southeastern Wisconsin is pretty saturated with demos but I haven't tried to become more than a hobby demo. As far as making it worthwhile you have to decide what worthwhile is for you. Making enough to support your family??? That's a rare thing and requires the same # of hours per week as a regular job. Paying for your stamps and paper... much more likely if you prioritize and don't impulse buy.

I like the discount and get the odd order that helps me make my minimums.

To the OP: Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just make sure you're enjoying it or it is defnitely not worth it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:07 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's MommyView Post
Not to be a pointdexter about the rules but if she's doing this she's knowingly breaking the SU Demo agreement. We're strictly forbidden from selling across international borders. This allows for demos in the US to sell to US customers and Canada, UK, France, Germany, etc etc to sell to their citizens. The only exception is selling to APO/FPO (military) addresses overseas.

If you offer something different than other demos in your area you'll get customers. Southeastern Wisconsin is pretty saturated with demos but I haven't tried to become more than a hobby demo. As far as making it worthwhile you have to decide what worthwhile is for you. Making enough to support your family??? That's a rare thing and requires the same # of hours per week as a regular job. Paying for your stamps and paper... much more likely if you prioritize and don't impulse buy.

I like the discount and get the odd order that helps me make my minimums.

To the OP: Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Just make sure you're enjoying it or it is defnitely not worth it!
I think that a demo in question is selling instructions for wonderful projects she comes up with. She is also selling kits (pre-cut cardstock and all the embellishments and such to make projects). I am not sure 100% that I know which demo she is talking about, but if it is Andrea - she is not doing anything against the agreement. She is not selling our product worldwide. I would have loved to have her as my upline. So much we all can learn from her.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:19 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by happyinkerView Post
I think that a demo in question is selling instructions for wonderful projects she comes up with. She is also selling kits (pre-cut cardstock and all the embellishments and such to make projects). I am not sure 100% that I know which demo she is talking about, but if it is Andrea - she is not doing anything against the agreement. She is not selling our product worldwide. I would have loved to have her as my upline. So much we all can learn from her.
Sorry I read wrong it sounded like she was saying that the demo was selling SU product to customers. So never mind!

I've bought tutorials from a couple of Canadian SU demos (and they're awesome).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #31  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivi's MommyView Post
Sorry I read wrong it sounded like she was saying that the demo was selling SU product to customers. So never mind!

I've bought tutorials from a couple of Canadian SU demos (and they're awesome).
Those make your life so much easier when in a pinch for a class or workshop project. And that woman in Cambridge is a genius.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:22 AM   #32  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have thought about demoing. For a very brief period of time, I did TAC, but realized that I enjoy my "craft bachelorette" status too much to be married to one brand. There are too many great things about so many companies out there in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
That is totally an option. You can buy, give the selling a try, and if you don't like it you don't have to do any thing else. The kit is yours to keep...the SU! Police don't come getcha! ;)
Talk about buying the kit and never doing anything with it. I've had two downlines do that. One signed up her daughter the same day and became a supervisor and never did anything, not even buy for her 30% discount. Neither did her daughter. She went inactive and is now talking about signing up again. There's something for everyone.

I still love it, but it's getting harder for me; my customers have everything and aren't purchasing as much. Perhaps with the new colors and the new catalog, it will pick up.
Stasia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:31 AM   #34  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
I have thought about demoing. For a very brief period of time, I did TAC, but realized that I enjoy my "craft bachelorette" status too much to be married to one brand. There are too many great things about so many companies out there in my opinion.
I still use all those other companies for my crafting. I am not going to do a workshop hoping to sell some SU stuff and use Verve stamps, but you bet I use them in my personal crafting, or for cards I am selling all over the town. I think it is as restricting as you make it to be. If you want to try to sell Ippity and TAC and SU, well it won't work, but I am still in charge of my wallet (although I should probably be pronounced incompetent and have someone do a power of attorney on me, hehe). There is something for everyone out there though. And that is one of the things I love about this business.

Last edited by happyinker; 04-23-2010 at 10:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Location: in a parallel universe, where i get to stamp all day!

Michelle. I joined SU because I love the products and I found that I could make the quarterly minimums on my own and the discounts were useful. I don't like to sell either. I have a couple of clients that I love with a passion. Most of the people who visit my blog are customers of other demos and buy what they see on my blog from their demos and I am absolutely OK with that. My blog allows me to share things that I love to do. I don't have the time to do workshops and Stamp a Stacks, etc.
So.. the decision I made was to sign up with SU, because I enjoyed using their products more than any others. I went into it with the mindset that I didn't have the time to make a business out of it, but to enjoy.
I say, if you can make the minimums (with either company) and you have a couple of friends who would buy from you and you are OK with that. Then sign up. You don't HAVE to demo every new thing. I like to show my customers and my blog followers what they can do with the old stamps and any new stamps that I love.
Does it stop me from being an equal opportunity spender - NO. Does it stop me from showing things on my blog that are not SU - NO. Does it stop me from being a member of a design team - NO... but noone has asked me to be part of one yet either :-)
Do I feel that I'm behind the times and a lover of "old-fashioned, out of date" products. NO. I buy what I love and show lots of love to what I buy. I buy for me. Not what I think I might sell. Occasionally, I do buy something I love and find that I cannot get it to work for me - like Circle Circus for instance - so I trade it with a fellow demo.

Would I walk away from what I have right now... NO. I love doing what I'm doing. It's working for me.

I wish you all the very best in whatever you decide to do. If you love teaching, why not try your local LSS or Michaels or somewhere and see if you can run classes. If you love either SU or CTMH (or other direct marketing company) stamps and thing that you would like to use a lot of them and get the discounts, then consider it.

Otherwise, do what you love doing and spend your money where you want to spend it on stuff you love..... thats the great thing about stamping... there's so much choice for us all to love.

Not sure if this helped :-)
Jaydee
Reply With Quote Likes