Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-05-2005, 05:08 AM   #41  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jessica, how was Canton? Did you get what you needed?
I think cutting up the BG stamp is a great idea. The first thing I thought when I saw that stamp was how cost effective it was for having all of those words that could be used separately. I hadn't even thought about cutting it up. I figured I'd be markering (I can make up words too!).

MamaK, please post a picture of LofL.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 06:27 AM   #42  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by charming
I cut up 'alphabits' set tooo! SHOCKED? I mounted them on little tiny legos and its soooo fiddly but very effective. I can even put them in another block and make wordstamps.
OMG - how cool is that! Can you then put the letters (on the little legos) on a big lego to spell the word... that way, stamping it once and straight? Neat idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I cut the center word out of the rubber/foam. Then I put mono on the back of it so it is sticky but removable... then if I want it out, I pop it out.. if I want it in, I put it back in
No way!? And, I've already mounted my set. I'll have to see about cutting it up. This is SUCH a cool idea...

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
I'm sure I would probably start hyperventilating if I saw what you did to your stamps! I freaked out when my cousin took her SU set of stamps and dumped them OUT of the box into a drawer with other stamps! And then she started giving away the stamps from Mini Mates that she didn't think she would use! ...
I'm with you! All my stamps stay together in the case. I have been known to cut a few apart, but they still STAY WITH THE SET

Quote:

I think we NEED a support group.
We have one already... it's called SCS (who I really think is an enabler! hee hee)
Old 07-05-2005, 06:54 AM   #43  
sjb
Rubber Obsessor

I'm with the CUTTERS!!! I will use this more as individual words than as a background. Look at all the cool words, and they are vertical & Horizontal!! That's my favorite part. Scrapbook, beware!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 07:10 AM   #44  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreations
Jessica, how was Canton? Did you get what you needed?
Canton was HOT!!! No customers and not many sellers... upside is that I got lots of FREE stuff! Little tiny compasses, old sheet music and books, etc... all perfect for cards! I got a few other things, too... an old wire bread rack (for cooling the loaves) that I will hang and then clip my Christmas cards to. So cool and only $3!
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #45  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonda
I just need some wood blocks - anyone have some they'd like to sell me? :o)
Just thought I would let everyone know that Joan B started another thread with the idea that wood blocks from the Jenga game would be great blocks to mount the Word by Word stamps on! What a good idea!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 08:12 AM   #46  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

this is sooofunny! I cut up 'alphabits' set tooo! SHOCKED?
I mounted them on little tiny legos and its soooo fiddly but very effective.
I can even put them in another block and make wordstamps.
I'd promised to upload pics but still can't figure out how.

That is awesome, I'd consider doing that too!
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 08:30 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Jess,

Thank you for this wonderful idea! I am most definitely going to cut mine apart and I may even try an acylic block system. After reading your thread, I did a quick peek through the catalog and guess what, I didn't find ONE example of this stamp being used in the background. Is that because the stamp is too busy (such as Holiday Print...very hard stamp to use as a background IMHO)? Personally, I like my background stamps to add depth to my cards without distracting from the focal image. I'm afraid Word by Word would make it difficult to add a verse above it. I also LOVE the idea of grabbing a single stamp, being able to ink it up in what ever color and stamp on any cardstock. D you know how many combinations of ink and cardstock one would have to have on hand if you are stamping the whole stamp and then cutting it apart. 48x48=2304!:o There is no way I want 2304 color combos for each word on that stamp cut up and in plastic bags!!! Yikes!!!

So anyway, I'm with you. Be brave and cut away! Let me know how it goes!

Last edited by MichelleY; 07-05-2005 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 08:36 AM   #48  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_witty
Just thought I would let everyone know that Joan B started another thread with the idea that wood blocks from the Jenga game would be great blocks to mount the Word by Word stamps on! What a good idea!
Awesome! That is exactly what I'm going to do! I also love the idea about mounting alphabits on little legos, then you can use a bigger lego to pop the little ones on and customize your words......Fantastic!!! Think of all the possibilities, if we just let go of our "anal-ness" for awhile. I'm going for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 08:56 AM   #49  
Ross' Island Lobster

Quote:

Canton was HOT!!! No customers and not many sellers... upside is that I got lots of FREE stuff! Little tiny compasses, old sheet music and books, etc... all perfect for cards! I got a few other things, too... an old wire bread rack (for cooling the loaves) that I will hang and then clip my Christmas cards to. So cool and only $3!
Oh wow I love Canton...haven't been there in several years but what a great place to walk around. And I love those lemonade stands that they have there..if they are still there. Sorry for the hijack...I too am going to buy the background stamp and cut it up! I will get more use out of it that way!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 10:02 AM   #50  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I cut the center word out of the rubber/foam. Then I put mono on the back of it so it is sticky but removable... then if I want it out, I pop it out.. if I want it in, I put it back in

I put it on the end of the block to stamp it separately

Does that make sense? I could totally take a pic if needed
Oh my!!! What a great idea! Gonna definitely do that!

I would say CUT AWAY! I always cut mine and never regret it. My Little Hellos have the words cut off and I even *GASP* cut the blocks. I used the electric miter saw and lopped it off then mounted the words separately. Love it. I doctored my curvy verses too. Saying "Time passes, friendship stays right were it's put!" just didn't make sense to me so I cut off "right where it's put" and moved the exclaimation to the end. Now mine says "Time passes, friendship stays!

As for extra wood, for little stamps like that, go to Mikes or any Craft store. I buy the 1" blocks that come in a dark green bag hanging in the wood section. I glue them together (just tacky or wood glue)and press them onto a flat surface to dry. It only takes a few seconds. They are perfectly cut so they line up perfectly. Then I can make as long a 'line' of 1" blocks as I want or glue two rows together and make 2" wide blocks. Does that make sense? I can try to attach a thumbnail if you want. These customized blocks make the perfect size for little sayings and small stamps. (cheap too)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 10:59 AM   #51  
Crimping Master

[QUOTE=MichelleY]After reading your thread, I did a quick peek through the catalog and guess what, I didn't find ONE example of this stamp being used in the background. QUOTE]

That is very interesting... I was wondering where it was used as a background. I was going to do a search of my own... thank you for getting to it before me!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 12:36 PM   #52  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

It seems like SU! isn't really behind this stamp since it isn't demoed in the catty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #53  
Hardware Hotshot

Okay it's me again
THE CUTTER QUEEN!
and 'mounter upon lego'
---my other title
see earlier post if you don't understand!teehee

MY CATTY CAME and I stand by what I said, I'm getting this one twice ...to cut and to keep! it is awesome!

The whole point of SU! to me is "Everything in Every Color" (or almost) and the ability to make "custom stamping implements that complement my creativity"
Implements that Complement get Compliments!
FYI : there are only (Royal Canadian ) Mounted Police in Canada, but there are no MOUNTING POLICE anywhere!
Ps:
I double-mount lots of images that 'go together', like alphadots and alphablocks sets and my Crazy and Collage are doublemounted on each other so that's one way I get extra blocks , but even they get used up when I cut up last years level II host set, suitable for framing set into individual blocks for giveaways that cost me nothing!
Get Creative! I always say
I'm going back to read again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 01:34 PM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

It truly depends on how you will best use (and get the most from) your stamp/stamps. Think about your projects and then you will know what to do. I do not hesitate to cut up my stamps (I can hear a loud gasp)....if there is something I don't like (usually extra words), I just take them off with the xacto knife or Kai scissors. No big deal. Some of my stamps were foam mounted...tore them apart and replaced the cushion and wood mounted them. Sealed and clear coated the wood blocks. They look awesome. It is a very personal decision...

Plus...if enough people talk about cutting up the background stamp...perhaps just perhaps SU will introduce a set using your concept. Voila a new set is born!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 01:37 PM   #55  
Hardware Hotshot

okay ,
I'm still here!
I forgot to say that I am terribly freaky anal too, though, sometimes.
hence the double purchase of the big things I slice and dice.
(I am,however, going to cut up and give away pieces of canvas, it is too regular and gridlike for me- or I will sand it bald in places...it is not my favorite at all!)don't faint!

the anal thing is:
I have a way to use the stampamajig to line up my rubber and sticker when I mount them on the block so that they are the same and in line.
EXACTLY, AND PERFECTLY.
My SU! sisters think that it is freaky but you can very reliably 'eyeball' my stamps and they are perfect to use. AND NOT ASKEW! unless your glasses are!teeheee!
Things like 'simple sketches' are mounted PAINSTAKINGLY so that when I place the 't' shaped wand of the stampamajig down, and hold it, I can stamp all three images and they will line up perfectly,PERFECTLY! without using the sheet in between.
AT ALL!!! (except for initial placement on the page.)
IT'S TRUE.
So I have *all sorts *of kinks
just wanted to come clean
admitting it is the first step
I may need the support group after all!
Cha cha cha
Char-Min!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 03:20 PM   #56  
Matboard Maniac

Default Curvy verse

Oh thank you lbirus for the Curvy verse suggestion..I am ordering that set, but wasn't crazy about that saying. I cut words off and trim parts of stamps I didn't like..but I don't know if I would personally tackle cutting up the Word by Word background..oh and you can get wood blocks online..here's one place..http://www.pfy.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 03:30 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Word by word

I would say it would be better to just use your marker and color in the word you want.Not sure that it would bother me much as I do so want this stamp set but am wondering how to use it to the best of its ability. That was a mouth full.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 05:27 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have a way to use the stampamajig to line up my rubber and sticker when I mount them on the block so that they are the same and in line.
EXACTLY, AND PERFECTLY.
My SU! sisters think that it is freaky but you can very reliably 'eyeball' my stamps and they are perfect to use. AND NOT ASKEW! unless your glasses are!teeheee!
Things like 'simple sketches' are mounted PAINSTAKINGLY so that when I place the 't' shaped wand of the stampamajig down, and hold it, I can stamp all three images and they will line up perfectly,PERFECTLY! without using the sheet in between.
WHAT?!!! Ok... walk me through this... I must know how to do it!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 05:39 PM   #59  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm cutting mine apart. I was only going to use it for the individual words anyway. Yep- in a few days I'm gonna be playing surgeon. Scalpel please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 07:04 PM   #60  
Crimping Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay Okay...I didn't read every single reply on this....so I might be changing the subject...SORRY!

JESS - I think your original suggestion to cut up the stamp and mount each word on a wood block ROCKS! HELLO! Now I gotta get it!!!

ASA?-stampinmajig?-huh?...... JUST STAMP, DAMN IT!!!! giggle giggle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2005, 10:30 PM   #61  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

WOW! Jenga Blocks? Who'd a thunk it?!?!?! And, I just happen to have Jenga! Now all I need is the stamp - which is high on my wish list!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 06:46 AM   #62  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by parisotremba
ASA?-stampinmajig?-huh?...... JUST STAMP, DAMN IT!!!! giggle giggle
I know, I know... truly, I am working on my addiction. I'm trying to live with some of the imperfections... but on some things I just can't resist... before I even know it it's already there in my hand... begging to be used!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #63  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

I'm sure I would probably start hyperventilating if I saw what you did to your stamps! I freaked out when my cousin took her SU set of stamps and dumped them OUT of the box into a drawer with other stamps! And then she started giving away the stamps from Mini Mates that she didn't think she would use!

Mine have to be mounted the way the sticker and the catalog shows and each set has to stay together. I go as far as I put stamps back into the case after each time I use it so I know where it belongs!

I think we NEED a support group.:rolleyes:

I would NEVER break apart a set even if there was a certain stamp that I didnt like or think I would use so often. The horror.......

Patricia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 05:03 PM   #64  
Mad Swapper

oh yes, I will be cutting it up definitely! I think this BG stamp is a favor to us from SU...if THEY cut it up for us, they would charge us, hmmm...what do you thing, $34 or so?

hee hee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #65  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jael
oh yes, I will be cutting it up definitely! I think this BG stamp is a favor to us from SU...if THEY cut it up for us, they would charge us, hmmm...what do you thing, $34 or so?

hee hee
At least!! I count 22 words - I would say probably the same price as ExFxP and EvFxP. I wonder what they would call the set?

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2005, 10:39 PM   #66  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Stamp-a-ma-jig perfection!

Quote:

WHAT?!!! Ok... walk me through this... I must know how to do it!
for jess_witty,
and any one else that has problems with their STAMP-A-MA-JIG!!!!

okay
this is hard to explain in person but I love that you've asked

Stamp-a-ma-jig Mounting Perfection
a recipe

cut out rubber image
mount to block any way you think is sensible
place clear sheet in the 'crook'/ 'T' of your s*a*j

IT IS CRUCIAL TO NOTE HERE FOR EVERYONE WHO 'cannot' USE S*A*J WITH THE PROPER RESULTS...

****check the rubber under the 'T'-shaped wand (purple or black piece)****

IT IS CRUCIAL TO GOOD OPERATION THAT IT *MEETS* WITH THE EDGE OF THE WAND

****no border allowed****
if you have a border...this is why you have incorrect placement by an eighth of an inch ALL THE TIME...the clear sheet is slipping underneath !!!!!
I have been able to slowly peel back rubber, almost all the way from the fat end to near the narrow end, and let it relax on the table for a while.
then carefully line it up and re-stick.
I've done this several times and have always had it work. If not, I'd prob take it back to SU! demo support, but for me it hasn't come to that.

back to the mounting:

stamp clear sheet with image, leave to one side
leave block in the 'crook' of the wand in the same position

cut out sticker, close to image
save a small sticker scrap strip to use as a piece of tape

unstick sticker
flip over imaging sheet, but don't lay it down! it is wet!
juggle
just until you can put the sticker on the imaging sheet
STICKY SIDE UP! (wet side down !...like an inside-out jam & honey sandwich )
wiggle it until it corresponds to image
tape with a scrap of sticker to imaging sheet...
just across one corner & nearest to center of sheet
no part of the sticker should be off the edge, trim if need be, re-align

block should still be resting in the 'crook' of the wand, rubberside down in the same position as when the imaging sheet was stamped
now just flip the imaging sheet and place the corner in the 'crook' of the wand, and on top of the block, it should stick.
Voila !

this is good for checking the ambiguous letters in your mounted alpha sets too !
stamp the clear sheet, then switch the block and the image sheet
the image sheet is now on top of the label and you can see how much your little 'L' (or flower stem or whatever) is out of whack
great for lowercase 'B' , 'D' , 'P' , 'Q' or 'N' , 'U' or '6' ,'9' that are not somehow 'jiving' for you.

post your questions !
and I'll help you through my 3 step stampin' trick if you can get through this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2005, 06:18 AM   #67  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much, Charming! I'm copying this into a word document and printing it... I'm planning on trying it out on all my new catty stamps! Sounds like some extra work, but I think it will be worth it for me in the long run. You are definitely a member of my ASA society!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #68  
MnM
Crimping Master

Default Get the scissors!

I am ordering another one and cutting it up! I tried all the other methods of using just one word and they are all way too much of a hassle.
I don't want to have to keep track of a bunch of words that were pre stamped. And using a stamp positioner is out of the question for this one.

Marianne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:11 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I cut mine up last week and didn't look back. I like using the individual words and knew I wouldn't use the whole background. It was quite liberating to cut it all up :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2005, 02:15 PM   #70  
Die Cut Diva

I cut mine apart. I had to stretch the rubber apart in some places, but am very happy with the results! Off to stamp with my cut-apart set!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 01:51 PM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

I ordered it to cut apart and I am one happy stamper!
I was thinking about getting the acrylic mounting system, but a friend offered my some Jenga blocks and I couldn't wait to explore other options, so its mounted on wooden blocks except for about 43 fat ones I need to find some wood for! its not stopping my stampin' I love it !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 03:53 PM   #72  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
IMO, If I wanted to do that, I would buy 2 of them.....have one to cut and one intact!!! lol Why not??;)

I was thinking the same thing as well, however if I have two of one stamp, that means there's another set out there I could have had but don't. This set is definately on my wish list not just for the background but also so I can stamp it and cut it up to apply to tags, cards, etc. The only thing that would be good to really have it cut up for is to apply it to ribbon.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-14-2005, 04:06 PM   #73  
Glitter Guru

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I purchased 2 of these. One is cut and the other is a background!! I LOVE IT!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 06:12 AM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

I broke down and purchased a second stamp, as well! I'm leaving one whole and the other I've cut up, removed the foam, attached one side of velcro (fuzzy side) and I have one wooden block with the tooth side of the velcro. I got the wooden block for $1 on the internet (I think the site was adictedtosrapbooking or something like that). The velcro allows me to only need one wooden block. This makes it cheaper and easier to store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #75  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My SIL & I were both looking at this BG stamp & thinking the exact same thing... way too much as 1 stamp but w/b great cut apart! The amazing thing is that she's very much a 'follow the rules' person so I was astounded when she said this out loud to me.
It's on my list for next time & it will be cut up. Not a problem here separating the image for words or even separating words in a greeting... whatever works!!!
Kitty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Cut it up!

Personally, I'd cut it up and mount on ezmount. That way you could easily reassemble on a block if you wanted the whole thing. I'm not sure about storing it on a large block (although that makes sense). Just don't know if it'd get dried out or some might fall off. If I stored on the acrylic block I think I'd store the whole thing in a plastic baggie just for security.

Jane
Reply With Quote Likes