Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2005, 06:51 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Word By Word Background... to cut apart or not to cut apart?

GASP... cut it apart?! I know, I know, just the thought of doing that would drive some people nuts. But... I can't help thinking that it might be worth it.

I really like it as a background, but I kinda think I'll use my markers to put certain words on my projects more than using it as a background. Whenever I do that with other stamps, I use my stampamajig to get the word in the right place.

However, background stamps are close to impossible for me to use with my stampamajig, and the thought of markering one of the middle words on the stamp, then trying to get it in the right spot on my card seems as if it's going to cause me more frustration than success.

Has anyone else considered buying it just to cut out all the words? Or am I just crazy?

I have a great dad who's made me wood blocks before, so that's not an issue. And $16.95 for soooo many words is quite a bargain. Tempting...
member #1507 gallery
witticisms... a witty blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:57 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

IMO, If I wanted to do that, I would buy 2 of them.....have one to cut and one intact!!! lol Why not??;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I've never used my stampa-ma-jig with a big stamp, but I'd be afraid I would ruin it cutting it apart. I was thinking the same about a great deal for all those works, but I'm super chicken. I'll just use me markers. Good luck if you do it.

L
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I just ordered it with my first order and was tickled at how many words it contained. Very reasonable to obtain that many for $16.95. I never thought of cutting it apart to have seperate words but now that I think about it what a great idea. I planned on using it as seperate words anyways and not a background stamp so why not. Save alot of trouble trying to line it up just right. I guess now I too need to find wood blocks for them to fit on
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:00 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree - it's tempting - but I just can't do it.

What I'm going to do is stamp the whole thing then cut down the CS and keep small baggies of each "word". Eventually, I'll have all of the words I need in gobs of colors. Imagine how pretty it would be in it's "natural" state clear embossed then used as a photo background in a frame . . . ahhhh - so simple.

I just can't cut it down - what did it ever do to me? Cutting down a stamp that size is like eating veal! Maybe I should form a group - SETOBS - Stampers for the Ethical Treatment of Background Stamps!?

Step away from the scissors & nobody gets hurt . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:02 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estrovan

I just can't cut it down - what did it ever do to me? Cutting down a stamp that size is like eating veal! Maybe I should form a group - SETOBS - Stampers for the Ethical Treatment of Background Stamps!?

hehehe! thanks for the laugh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:05 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Uh oh... if SETOBS ever sees what I did to my Greetings Galore set I am in big trouble! Although I guess since that's not a background set it doesn't count. Perhaps your new group should just be SETOS?

You are seriously crackin' me up!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:11 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

>>> I can't believe you even suggested that! I could NEVER do that to a stamp!;)

I'm very anal about how my stamps are mounted and stored in the cases. I would panic at the thought of doing that to a BG stamp. I could maybe do it if I bought two of them like someone suggested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:14 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

to the tune of "America the Beautiful" . . .

Ohhhhh beautiful, my Background stamps
don't alter them one biiiiiiiiiiiiiit . . .

For Eggplant Envy's bit the dust
it makes me want to spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Oh Stampin Up! Oh Stampin Up -
please ship our orders soooooooon . . .

And pelt Stampers with wooden blocks
for cutting more than they shouuuuuuuuuuld . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:23 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

to the tune of "America the Beautiful" . . .

Ohhhhh beautiful, my Background stamps
don't alter them one biiiiiiiiiiiiiit . . .

For Eggplant Envy's bit the dust
it makes me want to spiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!

Oh Stampin Up! Oh Stampin Up -
please ship our orders soooooooon . . .

And pelt Stampers with wooden blocks
for cutting more than they shouuuuuuuuuuld . . .
ROFLMAO! There's a thread about someone who unmounted their stamps and is looking for a use for the wood blocks...now we have a use for them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:24 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I have to admit that cutting it up crossed my mind too... but I also like the idea of just stamping the whole thing and cutting out the words you need. I don't have the markers so that's probably what I'd do. But if you do end up cutting it up, let us know how it works out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:34 PM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Location: Oil...Hot Pan...Gordon Ramsay sexiest man alive...Done.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

jess_whitty- Greetings Galore just BEGS to be cut up! I think SETOS would understand! Kinda like a chicken that pecks the heck out of ya! That sucker is just beggin' to be in casserole!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:47 PM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

You all better not look at my stamps....I nearly always mount the sentiments on the side and other things too. It makes the stamps so versatile and is why I love to mount the stamps myself! But if you'd like to keep all of yours as is...that's OK.

I'm totally laughing at the "Cutters Penalty" song!
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 07:58 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbyanita
You all better not look at my stamps....I nearly always mount the sentiments on the side and other things too. It makes the stamps so versatile and is why I love to mount the stamps myself! But if you'd like to keep all of yours as is...that's OK.

I'm totally laughing at the "Cutters Penalty" song!
Anita
I'm sure I would probably start hyperventilating if I saw what you did to your stamps! I freaked out when my cousin took her SU set of stamps and dumped them OUT of the box into a drawer with other stamps! And then she started giving away the stamps from Mini Mates that she didn't think she would use!

Mine have to be mounted the way the sticker and the catalog shows and each set has to stay together. I go as far as I put stamps back into the case after each time I use it so I know where it belongs!

I think we NEED a support group.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 09:12 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

ROTFLOL!!! You ladies are hilarious!!

I too cannot bring myself to cut up a background stamp. I am planning on saving all the little words, I will definately be using baggies. It'll be alphabetical neat and organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 09:23 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

I am with StampCrazyGirl - all my sets HAVE to be together - just like in the catalog. I don't even want a partial set!!! Heaven Forbid! Cut up a background stamp - I don't think I could bring myself to do it!!!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

I agree, I could get two... but that adds up to $34... and then I might as well get the Expressive Flexible Phrases to go with my much loved EvFP!

For those of you who say you can't possibly cut it up because you are too anal... let it be known that I am the girl who is not even a demo but who already had her catalog laminated and bound with clear pockets and clear DIVIDERS (they had to match with the clear coiling binding... duh)! (Um... overboard, maybe?!) Just looking at all that organization puts a very big smile on my face.

It is because of my anal-ness (look, I just made a new word!) that makes me want to cut Word By Word... the very thought of markering it and lining it up wrong on my card... causing the sentiment to be slightly askew (NOOOOOO! NOT THAT!!!) just raises my blood pressure to quite an unhealthy level. Perhaps I should make my own organization to rival Estroven's... it would be ASA... Anal Stampers Anonymous! I welcome any and all stampers who claim the stampamajig as the greatest invention since sliced bread!

I must go to bed now... though I am fearful that I might have nightmares of wooden blocks flying at me. (Kidding, kidding!)
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 04:32 AM   #18  
Inking Addict

That's an awesome idea!! I think i'll get it for that purpose!! I scrapbook too so would get *SO* much use out it, if I could use all the words seperately!!

I figure, it's just a stamp. If you regret it down the line, just buy another one. No biggie...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 04:47 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by jess_witty
I agree, I could get two... but that adds up to $34... and then I might as well get the Expressive Flexible Phrases to go with my much loved EvFP!

For those of you who say you can't possibly cut it up because you are too anal... let it be known that I am the girl who is not even a demo but who already had her catalog laminated and bound with clear pockets and clear DIVIDERS (they had to match with the clear coiling binding... duh)! (Um... overboard, maybe?!) Just looking at all that organization puts a very big smile on my face.

It is because of my anal-ness (look, I just made a new word!) that makes me want to cut Word By Word... the very thought of markering it and lining it up wrong on my card... causing the sentiment to be slightly askew (NOOOOOO! NOT THAT!!!) just raises my blood pressure to quite an unhealthy level. Perhaps I should make my own organization to rival Estroven's... it would be ASA... Anal Stampers Anonymous! I welcome any and all stampers who claim the stampamajig as the greatest invention since sliced bread!

I must go to bed now... though I am fearful that I might have nightmares of wooden blocks flying at me. (Kidding, kidding!)
LOL...I'll be your first member of ASA! Although, I dont have the Stampamajig because I've never really fully understood how it works, but it's on my list! I bet you are also one of us who takes a LONG time to make one card or project because it just has to be perfect. (at least that's how I'm am).

I think I'll do what someone else suggested....each time you stamp the background, cut out the word you need for your project, then keep a folder or something with the remaining words and use for other projects. I don't think I'm going to try and line up the word on my project each time...seems easier to me to cut them out and use them that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:02 AM   #20  
A LOST 4400

Jess_Witty,
Us North Texas gals must stick together!! I am so on board with the cutting it out for the words but I would probably mount it on a cling system for acrylic blocks. I DO love the idea of the whole bg being used to make a photo frame, though! WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO??!!! I would probably get it and play around with it first before cutting it up and then order another one to cut up. I apologize to the rubber purists--I know what you must be thinking. I have taken sets that have little words and separated them from the images as I may not want to use that word at the time but don't want to use a marker or masking. I mounted my EFP on a cling system and stored it in 2 cd cases--it works for me!
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:21 AM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampcrazygirl
LOL...I'll be your first member of ASA! Although, I dont have the Stampamajig because I've never really fully understood how it works, but it's on my list! I bet you are also one of us who takes a LONG time to make one card or project because it just has to be perfect. (at least that's how I'm am).
Holy moly! You don't have a stampamajig?!! Life without a stampamajig would be like life without AIR!!! You MUST get one! If you are anal, you must get TWO!!!

Really, though, it is soooo simple. The purple thing has two 90 degree angles on it (so you can use it both right and left handed). I usually hold the purple thing down with my left hand, then slide the top, left hand corner of the clear plastic square and snug it up into that 90 degree angle (the angle that is on the right hand side). Ink your stamp, then slide the stamp down along the 90 degree angle of the stampamajig so that it stamps the image on the top left hand corner of the plastic sheet. You now have an image on your sheet that allows you to "see" where your stamp will actually stamp! Next, slide the sheet around on your project until the image is positioned where you want it. Then, snug the 90 degree angle of the purple thing back onto the top left hand corner of your plastic sheet. Keep holding the purple thing down while you remove the plastic sheet and ink up your image again. Then slide the stamp down against it just like you did the first time, being careful not to rock the stamp. Stamp down and voila... the image is stamped right where you want it. I don't use it with every image... I have kinda figured out which stamps in my collection are mounted fairly straight and are pretty forgiving and which ones aren't!

Stampamajig, stampamajig, how do I love thee?
Let me count the ways...
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie G
Jess_Witty,
Us North Texas gals must stick together!! I am so on board with the cutting it out for the words but I would probably mount it on a cling system for acrylic blocks. I DO love the idea of the whole bg being used to make a photo frame, though! WHAT IS A GIRL TO DO??!!! I would probably get it and play around with it first before cutting it up and then order another one to cut up.
I was considering trying an unmounted system for this set, too! I am, in fact, going to Canton today to try and find something to give me more storage space cause I am running out! I think I may be able to cut mine apart, and bank on the fact that hopefully my mom will get one, too... then I can hopefully borrow hers for backgrounds!
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:30 AM   #23  
The Digi-Freak

Well, I'm all for it! But then my Lexicon of love has the main word as a "pop out".... I have it made so it perfectly pops out so you can stamp the background in a different color OR just stamp the main word I love it and don't regret it at all!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:36 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Not planning this myself, so take it for what it's worth... If you cut it up and use EZ Mount & an acrylic block, you might be able to reassemble for using it as BG???

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:40 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: My very hot stamp room, in Phoenix! It's a dry heat.

Hey MamaK! How do you have that word as a pop out? I can't think how to do it. Once you tell me I will probably be, "duh!".
This thread is pretty funny. I do love my stampamajig!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 05:43 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinchick
IMO, If I wanted to do that, I would buy 2 of them.....have one to cut and one intact!!! lol Why not??;)
That's what I was going to say! I have it in my "considering list"....Because I do like it as a background, but was also thinking that I owuld like to use certain words seperately...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 06:01 AM   #27  
A LOST 4400

Jess, Canton in July???!!!! I did that once.....once!!! I know you will have a blast but you will definitely be a HOT mama today!!! I am jealous--I haven't been there in quite a while. Hope you get lots of cool stuff!

Mamak, I must see your LofL. I didn't know that you had done that with it. I can totally imagine how cool that would be to use it like you mentioned--you are just the mostest creative chica!!! (I am still droooooooling over my borrowed catty but I am using a bib!)
Jackie G. (aka Jacquita) SCSmember #656

Write your sorrows in sand and your blessings in stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 06:17 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

MamaK I am anxious to hear your LofL explanation as well...I have an unmounted set that I may just have to do that with!
When I saw word by word my first thought was CUT IT UP! I agree...it seems like the smartest thing to do. My dilemna...no wood blocks...may have to get an unmounted system for this...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 06:35 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeimFamily
Not planning this myself, so take it for what it's worth... If you cut it up and use EZ Mount & an acrylic block, you might be able to reassemble for using it as BG???
This same thought hit me while I was blow drying my hair!!! I'm thinkin I can get an acrylic block (they make them that big, right?), cut all the words out and remount using the EZ mount stuff, then keep them all stored on the block as a background stamp and just take the words off one at a time and slap them on a smaller block when I want to use them individually!

Will this work? Can someone who uses an unmounted system help me out here?
member #1507 gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 07:16 AM   #30  
The Digi-Freak

Quote:

Originally Posted by imastampin
Hey MamaK! How do you have that word as a pop out? I can't think how to do it. Once you tell me I will probably be, "duh!".
This thread is pretty funny. I do love my stampamajig!
I cut the center word out of the rubber/foam. Then I put mono on the back of it so it is sticky but removable... then if I want it out, I pop it out.. if I want it in, I put it back in

I put it on the end of the block to stamp it separately

Does that make sense? I could totally take a pic if needed

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 08:10 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I'd leave it intact and just use markers on the word I needed.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am keeping mine intact but I am going to stamp in a few really common colors of ink on white and vanilla then as I need each word, cut it out of the paper!!! And who knows...the stampamajig may come in handy as well when I want to stamp straight onto the colored paper. I am going to just stamp it on a window sheet with Stazon and keep it in the bottom of the box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by mamakimberly
I cut the center word out of the rubber/foam. Then I put mono on the back of it so it is sticky but removable... then if I want it out, I pop it out.. if I want it in, I put it back in

I put it on the end of the block to stamp it separately

Does that make sense? I could totally take a pic if needed

Mamak, you rock! What a cool idea! I'm gonna have to try that! Is the rubber you cut out of the middle attached to the foam, or separated?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

Kimberly, that is too cool!! Mine is alreay mounted, can I still do this??

I would love to see a picture of this so I can copy the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 01:37 PM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Jess,

I JUST got my catty and finished looking thorugh it and saw the background you're talking about. I LOVE it! I understand your dilemma though. I think I would try stamp-a-ma-jig, or buying two and cutting one apart. I would hate to not have the entire thing intact when making background paper for scrapping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, I just finished reading all the posts in this thread. I haven't seen this stamp yet, but my thought is to use a marker on the word you want, flip the background stamp on it's back. Have a piece of cardstock cut the size you want the word on and lay it on the rubber. Seems to me this would work and you wouldn't have to cut up the stamp or have baggies of unused words to store. Just a thought.
D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 02:21 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi Gals-

I am totally planning on getting Word by Word and cutting it up!!! If I want a "word" background I will use By Definition, but I just want this one for the words.....Stamping on cardstock and cutting is great, but what about when you want the word directly on the card? I just need some wood blocks - anyone have some they'd like to sell me? :o)

I used to be completely anal about my stamps too - I would hyperventilate if there were any ink marks on them whatsoever. I'm learning to let go, and this will be the ultimate test!

~Nonda~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 02:43 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Do IT!!! That is an excellent idea. ANd I LOVE the idea about using the acrylic block to store it on with the unmounted system....be careful you might get addicted to UM. Also, you have totally sold me on the stamp-a-ma-jig.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

this is sooofunny!
I don't even have the new catty yet and I *know* that I've got to get 2 of this set, sight unseen!!!
because of this thread!
and cut one apart!!!
I break up sets too, for storage!!!
bugs with bugs, all birthday, all friend etc...
I've done the pop out thing too and I sidemount extra things like coffeecups, little purses, the extra birds etc...from most sets!
nya,nya,nya na, naaaa! I'm not an animal! I am not a freak!
not much anyways!
I cut up 'alphabits' set tooo! SHOCKED?
I mounted them on little tiny legos and its soooo fiddly but very effective.
I can even put them in another block and make wordstamps.
I'd promised to upload pics but still can't figure out how.
So you'll just have to imagine it for a little while longer.
anyway I'm calling DS to complain about my missing catty first thing tomorrow!!!
and the day I get it I'll prob order this set twice!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #40  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

What I'm going to do is stamp the whole thing then cut down the CS and keep small baggies of each "word". Eventually, I'll have all of the words I need in gobs of colors. Imagine how pretty it would be in it's "natural" state clear embossed then used as a photo background in a frame . . . ahhhh - so simple.

I agree!! I'm going to stamp it in several different colors and on different card stocks and then cut out the words and keep them in different containers. I have found a wonderful blue plastic one that has about 9 or 10 different compartments. It looks like a weekly pill keeper. I got them at Hobby Lobby and keep different alphabet ones in there. I also keep my "paper piecing" punches in different colors in it. It's great!!

I would have to buy a second one if I wanted to cut up the rubber I think!!
Reply With Quote Likes