Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wonder if I should take a ride to ACMoore?

I have two Michaels about 15 minutes from my house. I've been to both of them this past weekend to get some embossing folders since I just recently bought the Big Kick.

Right now, I'm not looking for die cuts, just embossing folders (mainly to use on Christmas cards) I found 2 at one of the Michaels and 1 at the other. (polka dots, swirls and snowflakes)

The only ACMoore anywhere near me is about 50 minutes away. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth the trip to try to find different embossing folders than Michaels had. I know you can't tell me for sure, but in general, does ACMoore typically sell more/different folders than Michaels? Or are the generally the same? I might even take my stamp wish list with me and see if I can't find any that I want.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:38 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I vote YES! AC Moore recently started carrying a line of embossing folders by Darice, and there are some wonderful ones! Cheap, too - $3.99, I think... Plus, they still have Cuttlebug and Sizzix folders, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:42 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

used to live in NE Ohio - nearest AC Moore was in Erie, PA - always worth the trip! I really like AC Moore ( in general) better than Michaels - only wish one was in the Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 AM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am not sure about that particular store because I don't live in that area, but AC Moore's is carry some embossing folders that no one else has.....and some are 5X7!!! And there are some edge ones and even BIG (think scrapbooking) edge ones!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I LOVE AC Moore! I don't have an actual art supply store near me any longer but I can get to AC and M's in about 45 mins and they are only maybe 15 mins from each other. I don't go often of course ( my truck would use more gas than I would pay in shipping to order on-line) but honestly the ump of mojo those places give me is often worth the trip LOL. Ac usually IMO has better wood cuts...stamps..and a larger variety of inks as well as some decent prices on canvas and a few other things that I like to use. M's to me, is more silk flowers and the like..which is great if that is what you need.
So all of that to say "GO now" HA!
We are an enbaling lot aren't we!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:06 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

We don't have AC Moore where we live and I don't know what embossing folders they have, but I'd say yes, drive the 50 minutes to get there, LOL!!!

Here, Michael's and HL are 1 hour away, Archiver's 2 hours away and a stamp/scrap "store" within a Tru Value Hardware (Haveman Hardware in Fremont MI) is just incredible ~ and 1-1/2 hours away, but well worth it!

:mrgreen: 50 minutes? Definitely yes . . . even just for fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:51 AM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

I've never been to an AC Moore, but I ALWAYS have luck at Joann's online. They have EVERYTHING! Check it out before your travels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, Okay....I'll go!!!

I don't think either the embossing folders or stamps are on sale this week, so maybe I'll wait until next weekend to go (if there's a sale). And since there's a Yankee Candle within a 10min drive from there, I think some candle shopping is in order too. Got to check out the new Fall/Winter scents!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 06:17 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry, I'm with everyone else in saying, 'Go!'. I can go to 3 Michael's and 2 JoAnn's very easily. The Hobby Lobby is about 40 min away but go every once in awhile because they carry different brands along with Cuttlebug and Sizzix so it's fun to look over their selections. In fact, just bought their Woodgrain EF because I liked the scale/size of grain. The Tim Holtz/Sizzix is a little large for card fronts IMHO.

Don't have an AC Moore in my area but I would like to go to one someday just to see what they carry.

Go, have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:48 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

Found AC Moore online, and a link to the Darice embossing folders: Darice embossing folders A lot of the ones that I saw in the store are not online, apparently, though...?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:05 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Consumer Crafts has the Darice embossing folders on line
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

According the the AC Moore site, my nearest is 659 miles away.

I say you should drive the 50 miles
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm so envious! I'm in Alaska...I've got Jo-Ann's and Michaels and a small scrapbook store! I used to live in the St Louis area with a Hobby Lobby, Archiver's a huge local scrapbook store...I was SO spoiled! Go the 50 minutes! Think of me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
I have two Michaels about 15 minutes from my house. I've been to both of them this past weekend to get some embossing folders since I just recently bought the Big Kick.

Right now, I'm not looking for die cuts, just embossing folders (mainly to use on Christmas cards) I found 2 at one of the Michaels and 1 at the other. (polka dots, swirls and snowflakes)

The only ACMoore anywhere near me is about 50 minutes away. I'm just wondering if it'd be worth the trip to try to find different embossing folders than Michaels had. I know you can't tell me for sure, but in general, does ACMoore typically sell more/different folders than Michaels? Or are the generally the same? I might even take my stamp wish list with me and see if I can't find any that I want.

AC Moore seems like they have definitely got new things in, the Darice E.F. a bunch of Tin Holtz stuff now, the Spectrum Noir markers, etc. To save yourself time and $$$$ I would make a list of some of the things you want, call them ask them if they would please check if they have them in stock before you make the trip out there. Nothing like driving all that ways to get there and be disappointed. Just a thought! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Well I decided to take the trip to ACMoore this morning. First I went to Yankee Candle but they still had 10mins before they opened so I popped into Michaels since it's in the same parking lot. Their stamps were 40% off, but neither of the Michaels near me had them on sale??? Weird. Anyhow, I bought one stamp that says "Christmas Blessings", white embossing powder, brown ribbon and a pack of vanilla cardstock.

Then went to Yankee Candle and bought 19 tarts in these scents. pumpkin pie, apple pumpkin, apple cider, pumpkin buttercream, apple pine, north pole, sugared apple, peppermint bark, cherries in snow.

Then off to ACMoore. I bought a 2-pack of embossing folders from Sizzix (snowflakes and plaid), used my Michaels 40% coupon on it and 4 of those Darice embossing folders (tree & pinecone, scroll frame, corner scroll and cupcake) These were on sale for $1.99!!! Can't beat that.

So, even though I didn't get everything that I was looking for, I think I made out pretty good.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:22 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good that you decided to go, it would be a ride of over 2 thousand miles for me. They aren't in the western half of the country as far as I can tell from their web site. And I'm still waiting for a Hobby Lobby that's less than an 7 hour drive one way.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 10-09-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes