Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-10-2009, 10:30 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no sneak peek photos?

I was checking out another thread to new catty sneak peeks & see that several demo blogs have removed photos showing new products, saying it was against company policy to show photos before the catalog release date. Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? As an SU customer I love the building anticipation of the new catty. I don't understand the company's decision to not allow peeks of soon-to-be-released products from their demos. Obviously the success of companies like Papertrey, My Favorite Things, etc have used the the excitement building up to the release to their marketing advantage! I don't get why SU doesn't want their customers to have a glance at what's to come?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree! It's pure torture not having a sneak peek!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

I think I read somewhere that the reason demos aren't allowed to show sneak peeks of the new catty is that if customers can see what is in the new catalog before it comes out, they may want things in there and save their money for them instead of spending that money now on the current catalog and holiday mini which both expire next week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:33 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm saving my money for the new catalog, with or without sneak peeks. I just don't see much in the old catalog to interest me. For the past few of my clubs, I've been buying basic paper & other supplies because none of the stamp sets caught my eye. Other companies such as Papertrey, Gina K, Sugar Nellie, etc. have been introducing many more stamps that are my style, and less and less of what I want comes from SU. Sneak peeks could only help them get business from me.

Deb
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 AM   #5  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem is, demos sign a contract to abide by SU!'s rules. Posting pics in advance may violate those rules. I love the sneak peeks myself (and am not a demo), but I do understand SU's position in this, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:13 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

Well, I know I was extremely disappointed (not my wallet, tho) with the last catty. I really hope the new catty (again, not my wallet) has more to offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:52 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

SU has asked that demos not post sneak peeks on their blogs. Due to bulk shipping in the US, some demos get their catalogs a full week before others. Some of these demos then give them to their customers prior to the starting sales date of the catty. This means there are customers getting catalogs before some demos even see theirs.
This request by SU is a way to even the playing field.

Most demos have agreed to abide by SU's request. Not doing so could result in a violation of their demo agreement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I am a demo and you will not be disappointed with this cattie. I even was unhappy last year with the cattie but this year I am in trouble. Just 9 more days and you can see. Happy stamping. Stacy
Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
Well, I know I was extremely disappointed (not my wallet, tho) with the last catty. I really hope the new catty (again, not my wallet) has more to offer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I understand SU! trying to even the playing field. I think a few "leaks" or peeks builds the excitement. Perhaps SU! can do what some other companies do and have a company peek before release day. I know I love to go to PTI's blog and see the peeks for the release.

andrea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:36 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Out of the last catalog, all I bought was cardstock, patterned paper, some of the filigree brads, and 1 stamp set. In fact, the only stamp set I bought....I JUST bought. And thusly got my hostess set. First die-cut stamp sets I've gotten from SU!. I have to say, there are just too many other companies to purchase from that SU! gets less of my $$$ for stamp sets. I still like their patterned paper and will always buy their cardstock....other than their white/black. I started buying CS from PTI and LOVE it! I love that there is ribbon to match...and not just one TYPE of ribbon for each color. Granted, I wish PTI would come up with markers to match as well.....but I've expressed that wish to them! I use a little bit of every company, but found that stamp-wise, I've moved away from SU! I used to like their more cute stamps, so I really only buy those types from them. CC Designs has more of that style, so I buy from them. PTI has versatile, classic sets....so I buy from them. Stamping Bella has cute stamps, so I buy from them. OurDailyBread has wonderful religious stamps, so I buy from them. I like the differences each company offers. I do NOT look forward to the new SU! catty like I used to...just doesn't excite me anymore because they are so many other companies to buy from, I'm not limited anymore. I think SU! needs to move with the times and not care so much about what info leaks, etc. I actually get VERY angry when I just ordered In Color cardstock, and 2 days afterwards...they've got it at REDUCED PRICES? I call bullcrap on that! I think they should have a policy that refunds some $$$ to customers that just purchased within 10 days of them posting a sale like that. I would have saved about $15....so there went my free hostess benefits, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:38 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekip2View Post
I understand SU! trying to even the playing field. I think a few "leaks" or peeks builds the excitement. Perhaps SU! can do what some other companies do and have a company peek before release day. I know I love to go to PTI's blog and see the peeks for the release.

andrea
This is a great suggestion. Pass this on to your demo so they can submit the suggestion. A few sneak peeks on the SU website is a fabulous idea!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I have to LOL because the entire world sends out catalogs to customers of items that are not available until a certain date. Many of which are for sales, but the general catalogs come almost a week before the available order dates. I am a demo and don't have my catalog yet either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 07:43 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

In my humble opinion, SU should post sneak peaks on the website. Everyone with an internet connection would have access.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

I would like sneak peeks from SU!. What I don't like is when some have the opportunity to get advance stamp sets, they make and post cards all over the place, and them by the time the rest of us can get those stamps, the excitement is over and stampers have moved on to other sets.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 09:28 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

To be honest, I have about had it with SU. I know they are the proverbial 'big boy' of the stamping world, but come on, isn't all this cloak and dagger stuff getting a bit old! I mean really, we are talking stamps, not national security. So who cares if Jane Doe posts a pic of the newest set o flowers on her blog. It's not like the fate of the entire free world is at stake, (I'm Jane, Jane Doe, and I like my stamps clear, not rubber). Good Grief!!

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
To be honest, I have about had it with SU. I know they are the proverbial 'big boy' of the stamping world, but come on, isn't all this cloak and dagger stuff getting a bit old! I mean really, we are talking stamps, not national security. So who cares if Jane Doe posts a pic of the newest set o flowers on her blog. It's not like the fate of the entire free world is at stake, (I'm Jane, Jane Doe, and I like my stamps clear, not rubber). Good Grief!!

Pamela
I am a demo and there were a LOT of angry demos last year when the new cattie came out stating they lost business because Sally Sue saw a blog and decided to postpone her show. That was some of the reasoning.

I see it both ways since SU isn't a source of income for me, I personally don't care either way. You have to remember that SU is a completely different business model than Papertrey or Gina K. Obviously we are all consumers and can choose to spend our money where it works best for us.

I'm impatiently awaiting my new catties!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I think that the idea that people are going to hold off buying stuff or hold off having a party really shouldn't bother SU! as much as it seems to. Quite frankly, in THIS economy (I just love that buzz phrase!) SU! should be grateful for every little PENNY that comes their way. A lot of people are going to stop buying....people don't feel like inviting people over to a party where it's "expected" that they purchase something.....people are going to be more discerning about where their dollars are going and will want to get more bang for their buck. Thankfully my DH has a "recession-proof" job and this downturn in the economy hasn't hurt us....only helped us. So my crafting purchases haven't changed too much.....other than I have SO many more options to choose from now when spending my stamping $$$. And if I can pay $24 for a set of stamps rather than $29.95, than I'll probably buy the $24 set. Plus, I feel like I waste $$$ with SU! for the sheer fact that I'm paying for wood blocks that I don't use. It makes me feel wasteful, and I don't like it. I think they need to offer an unmounted version as well....that would mean that they are "listening" to their customers. It would save them $$$ in the long run too, but.....I digress.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:16 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

Were the demos angry because they thought the customers would have had a show for both catties? I guess I don't understand how postponing a show until a new cattie comes out would be a lose of business. You are still getting the same commission.

Do most people have 2 shows a year? I generally have 1 a year and that is what my friends do as well. I had one in October to get the free set in the catalog sampler and if I have another this year (and that is a BIG if) it won't be late summer, early fall, but certainly not in this catty.

Maybe our area isn't as affluent as others, we couldn't afford to do that. I am not trying to be obtuse but I don't understand.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:33 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Just a reminder, you can see sneak peeks from some of the sets demos are able to purchase. So we are still allowed to post sneak peeks, there are few sets we, as demos, were able to purchase and show on our blogs and to customers. So it's not zero sneak peeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Were the demos angry because they thought the customers would have had a show for both catties? I guess I don't understand how postponing a show until a new cattie comes out would be a lose of business. You are still getting the same commission.

Do most people have 2 shows a year? I generally have 1 a year and that is what my friends do as well. I had one in October to get the free set in the catalog sampler and if I have another this year (and that is a BIG if) it won't be late summer, early fall, but certainly not in this catty.

Maybe our area isn't as affluent as others, we couldn't afford to do that. I am not trying to be obtuse but I don't understand.

Pamela
Some demos do this as a full-time job and count on their SU! income for the family budget, so if a good customer (or three) postpones her show for a month, that could really hurt. Also, there are performance periods for certain incentives and rewards, and if you're counting on a couple of bookings to reach that next goal and the hostesses cancel -- well, there goes your chance to earn the next level of rewards. Make sense now?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:47 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DisneyDollView Post
I actually get VERY angry when I just ordered In Color cardstock, and 2 days afterwards...they've got it at REDUCED PRICES? I call bullcrap on that! I think they should have a policy that refunds some $$$ to customers that just purchased within 10 days of them posting a sale like that. I would have saved about $15....so there went my free hostess benefits, huh?
I've never heard of ANY shop doing that. :confused:
Is that standard practice in the US?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:57 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Pamela
Several demo's had cancelled shows as the customer decided to wait. then that show never happened due to whatever reason.
Many demos lost sales ans shows due to all the pre-photo's. Most companies do not show previews. SU is no different. It is took the complaints from demos and is doing something to help them.

As for another issue in this thread - NO ONE knew about the Inventory blowout sale until it was announced to everyone.
Stores do the same thing and so do many other companies. They have extra stock so to liquidate some of it they put it on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalcharmView Post
No this is not standard in the US. If they would have such a policy, then what about the ones that ordered it 11 days before?
This would never work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

[/QUOTE]I actually get VERY angry when I just ordered In Color cardstock, and 2 days afterwards...they've got it at REDUCED PRICES? I call bullcrap on that! I think they should have a policy that refunds some $$$ to customers that just purchased within 10 days of them posting a sale like that. I would have saved about $15....so there went my free hostess benefits, huh?[/QUOTE]

What about the customers that ordered 11 days ago?
have many websites to you buy from that offer sales and do NOT announce a week ahead of time? How many of them have such a policy?
It is unheard of because it would not work. No matter what SU does, they cannot make everyone happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

This happens all the time in all kinds of stores all over the world, although there are some stores (owned by large corporations) that do honour a 7-day-on-either-side-of-the-sale reimbursment of your funds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:37 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

Exclamation New and Old

I think it has something to do w/the fact that they don't need two "catalogs" at the same time kind of thing.

Think about other companies do they put out there catalogs pictures before they go live, I'm not sure but I don't think so.

Really why would a Demo really push a workshop or another type event during this period before the new catalog. This gives them a chance to take a break after the holidays and such. I think this time is better spent in planning and gearing up for the new year. I know there are those who do but really just to have customers get upset if in fact something is cheaper I can't really see that happening.

Then the fairness issue there are alot of Demo's out there that have not come of age as of yet they don't have a Blog much less a DBWS to help generate sales. Some will say I can't afford the monthly charge to have the DBWS or there are those that will say I have had mine for a month now and NO one has bought anything.

1. how are you helping your customer find your DBWS? you have to get the word out.

Frankly I think it's an awesome tool and like any business it takes time to get people to use your product, you can't do it for a month and then say it doesn't work.

2. Do you have a blog or better yet a WEB SITE????

I would never pay for a blog alone like typepad or even some of the others out there. You are locked into there community and it is harder to get yhour site into the search engines. Most web hosts or at least the bigger ones out there have the ability to have a blog attached to there web site. and the cost for most web sites today are really cheap like $6.00 to $8.00 a month when you purchase a year at a time.

Today one of the #1 things business are being told is they need a web site to promote there business.

I now I have gotten a little OT thanks for taking the time to read this post, and have a GREAT 2009 stamping / scrapbooking / crafting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Hmm, I have a part-time job for a call center for a catalog/internet company, and if you purchase an item from them and the price on that item is reduced within 30 days of your purchase, we will refund the difference. Most brick-and-mortar stores around here will do the same thing; if they don't, you can return the item for a refund and then re-buy it at the lower price. I know both these situations are different that home-party sellers, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:57 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Yes different, but I think your right for sure. all it would take is "oh this is not what I want" and then reorder it. a bit of a hassel but It would work. I think as a demo I would just make my customer happy and fix the difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 01:59 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftygirl04View Post
This happens all the time in all kinds of stores all over the world, although there are some stores (owned by large corporations) that do honour a 7-day-on-either-side-of-the-sale reimbursment of your funds.
This would retroactively affect the sales totals for the workshop where that order was placed. If the hostess was only at, say, $151 dollars in merchandise when the show closed, then a price adjustment after the fact would drop her below that total. This would eventually snowball and affect the demo as well. What if she were in "pending" status after not reaching her minimum sales quota for the previous quarter and this workshop just managed to tip her over the top and back into active standing? She could lose her demoship if her sales totals came up short when the books were officially balanced for the month. This is why SU! does not offer refunds -- only replacements for defective products, or exchanges in cases of buyer's remorse or customers accidentally ordering a wrong product. Like a previous poster said, direct-sales home businesses cannot operate the same way as Best Buy or Sears and offer sale price guarantees.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 02:29 PM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampersHusbandView Post
Yes different, but I think your right for sure. all it would take is "oh this is not what I want" and then reorder it. a bit of a hassel but It would work. I think as a demo I would just make my customer happy and fix the difference.
The big corporations have the "price guarantee" policy....Joanns, Michaels, and ACM's. Unless something has changed, I've had my prices(during the past year) adjusted at Michaels, Joanns and ACM's for recent purchases prior to a sale...and just checked a question on Joann's and confirmed this practice.

I agree with wanting, as a demo, to make the customer happy. I would think that it would break a trust if I bought something today and then realized that my demo knew it was going on sale early the following week and didn't mention it. Let me make the decision to buy or not. The sale may make today's quota but I, personally,(IMHO) would think again before buying again from that demo:rolleyes: . I know that small business/home businesses are different but there are far too many places for the crafter to spend their money these days and it is far easier to keep a good customer than to try to locate and develop a NEW customer. A customer wants to be treated fairly.... no matter the type of business. Money, in this economy, is hard earned and we need to spend it in the best way.

Just my thoughts.....

As for Sneak previews....Nestabilities has been doing a great one for the last several days and will be for the next 10 or so leading up to CHA....I think it has been a GREAT marketing tool ...I and many of my crafting friends have been watching the blogs earnestly and with great anticipation to see the new sets and how they can be used and are planning to place advance orders ( Example:Marco's Papers is taking orders for $24.99 sets at $19.99 prior to the sets being available for sale...can't use the VIP coupon at Cut at Home...so this is a good deal).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
I agree with wanting, as a demo, to make the customer happy. I would think that it would break a trust if I bought something today and then realized that my demo knew it was going on sale early the following week and didn't mention it. Let me make the decision to buy or not. The sale may make today's quota but I, personally,(IMHO) would think again before buying again from that demo:rolleyes: . I know that small business/home businesses are different but there are far too many places for the crafter to spend their money these days and it is far easier to keep a good customer than to try to locate and develop a NEW customer. A customer wants to be treated fairly.... no matter the type of business. Money, in this economy, is hard earned and we need to spend it in the best way.
I believe this is why some promotions are kept a complete surprise, even to demos -- it avoids putting us in a bad spot, because we didn't know the sale was coming, either!

My Stampin' Up! blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

There are some 'sneak peeks' at cards done with new sets at this section of the gallery.
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #33  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that gallery might be for demos only until the catalog is officially released.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:22 AM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

When does the new catalog come out??? I thought it was supposed to be yesterday.

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #35  

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The official start date is January 19. Some demos have received their pre-ordered catalogs already though (not me yet...but should be today!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

I heard the 19th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 06:48 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreenDragonLadyView Post
I think that gallery might be for demos only until the catalog is officially released.
Nope, there are definitely some cards in the gallery for all to view!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #38  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

so did anyone see Shelli's blog post today?

Shelli says: "I found out today that I�ve been a bad girl! I didn�t realize that we weren�t supposed to post photos on our blogs of products that were in the new catalog until January 19, the date the catalog goes live. So the boxes I showed on my blog yesterday are actually forbidden pictures!

However, since I�m not selling anything, I�m hoping that my photos generate a lot of interest and hopefully drum up a little business for our demonstrators. For those of you who are customers, contact a Stampin� Up! demonstrator come Monday (January 19) for the papers and products you need to make the boxes. And for those who are demonstrators, I promise I won�t post early again!"

see - EVERYONE makes mistakes