Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are Masculine Cards so Hard To Make??

Why are masculine cards so hard to make. My mom asked me to make some blank masculine cards and get well cards. I am having a very difficult time finding and making masculine cards. I am kind of disappointed with SU for their lack of masculine stamps. They have so many flowers, but hardly anything for men. What about for older guys or those that don't fish, hunt, sail, camp, etc.??
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

It broadens your choices considerably if you can think outside the box a bit! Pocket Silhouettes, Upsy Daisy, Friends 24-7, Embrace Life, Central Park, Thoughts and Prayers, Best Wishes and More and Simply Said are all "flowery" sets that can be used effectively to make masculine cards. Rustic Rooster (hostess), Font of You, Hoppy for You, the Something Fishy jumbo wheel, Wild About You, Kindred Spirits, Trendy Trees, Bird on a Branch, Eastern Influences, Park Avenue Patterns, and Enjoy Every Moment are other less-obvious choices that could also work well for a masculine card. It's all in the choice of colors, textures and embellishments! :mrgreen:

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:30 AM   #3  
Full of Malarky

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I just use fun stamps for masculine cards. I use House Mouse, a fun cartoony of cars for men - and woman. I think men like a chuckle just as much as a woman. I guess I'm just a cute stamper...... and I figure what is good for the good for the goose is good for the gander!! My dad always said he loved those * RATS * - house mouse!! I used Penny Black creatures for him.

I have a really cute set of cars from Sparkle and Sprinkle I think it was - ordered a full plate of them for a great price one line - and they arrived quickly with fabuous customer service....... Look around!! I don't find much in the way of masucline stamps with SU either.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

I have several Snoopy stamps and I think they always work well. Some of the less elaborate hardware is always good on masculine cards, and think twine or hemp instead of ribbon. They're definitely not easy, though. For the IC today, if I hadn't been sticking to the book cover that I chose and used a pink balloon - a red or blue balloon would have made it a great masculine card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:44 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I find masculine cards are easier in a way. You don't have to think about pretty, frilly stuff like flowers, scallops, fancy bows, etc. and you can use strong colors and neutrals. I use punched shapes more than stamps (except for the sentiment and often not even then) and look for stripes, dots, etc in patterned paper.

Most guys don't give a rip about the fussy details anyway. DH gets the flimsy colored envelopes from Staples-he's cheap so that makes him even happier!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

For me they're hard because my usual ways of adding a wow factor--heat embossing, Stickles, ribbon, dew drops--make cards more feminine. The previous suggestion of hemp and twine instead of ribbon is good. Also Kraft or other flecked cardstock, with distressed edges. No flowers! No ribbon! No matter what colors you use, most guys are going to think those are girly. I like to use leaf stamps on guy cards, and SU has had some great sets of those.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

tractorchick03:
I feel your pain! My dad doesn't hunt or fish, isn't outdoorsy. It has been tough to create cards for him. Adding to row4d's suggestions:
Happiness is a Journey, Puns from the Past, Owl Together Now. I also have used patriotic stamps and the set with "complimentary peanuts" I can't remember the names of the sets. But he always appreciates anything I send, just because I made it. Dads are like that :p .

Even harder than adult men, I think, are teen boys! Of which I have one.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Neither my DH nor my dad have obvious hobbies (fishing/sailing/gold/soccer/etc) and I often fall back on either generic nature type images (trees and leaves, for example or wildlife images like African big game animals - lions etc) or, particularly for DH, things like grapes, olives or coffee-related stuff as he is a bit of a wine buff and foodie. Vintage can go over well (things like cars and trains but with a vintage twist to them).

Kraft is a great base for masculine cards and I find hemp, twine and hardware like jumbo eyelets in antiqued metal finishes are useful for adding extras without feeling you're tending towards the feminine.

If you're not tied to SU! why not look around a bit and see if there's anything from other companies out there that appeals to you? Try a search for "masculine" in the gallery and see if there's anything there that sparks your interest, maybe? Not everybody puts it in their keywords but quite a few do so you might turn up some interesting stuff.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Since they don't have specific hobbies or interests that you can use for the basis of your cards, you could use more generic themes with masculine colors for the backgrounds.

Here's a few ideas:

These cards by missiowa81 work very nicely for any summer type occasions:
Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

This card by Stampin Nanny works very well for any theme:
Golden_Cattails_by_Stampin_Nanny by Stampin Nanny at Splitcoaststampers

Here's a Birthday card from my gallery that works well for guys without specific hobbies. It relies on graphics and bold colors to create a masculine look:
Birthday cards for a chaplain overseas by deeth1 at Splitcoaststampers

Here's a quick and easy masculine card from my gallery with a nature theme and a monochromatic color scheme. I used a Cuttlebug distressed stripes embossing folder for the background and a tree stamp from TAC. Just change the saying on the tag to what ever theme you need for any time of the year:

This card from my gallery uses a saying I created with Word Art and bold background papers from SEI Grandpas Attic line:
WT43 Masculine Card II using SEI Grandpa's Attic papers by deeth1 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 01:25 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

I use plaids or stripes, vintage stamps, landscape stamps, boats, metal accents or natural fibers. I think of it is a nice break from flowers!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 01:31 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I do a lot of male cards! In fact I pretty much make more male than female cards. And I find I have guy themes on many of my girly cards...(whats up with that? I have flower stamps but still use the other stuff!!!)

I have everything on my blog but a few things in the gallery.

Guy themes I use -

Transportation (cars,trains, planes, bicycles, motorbikes, keys)
Sports - (colors, teams, mascots, School, University, Professional)
Alcohol - beer, beer, beer... etc.
Technology - computers, ipods, Cell phones,
Music - (groups, genre, juke boxes, Elvis)
TV, Movies...
Job/hobby - mechanic, carpenter, collector, gardening etc.
Or if in doubt make a Large Initial (either with a Cricut or cut it by hand - I have done that in the past by printing a letter on the reverse of my cardstock the size I want it ;) ) or a Large age.

Most of my cards I make specifically for someone like my nephew who is an avid Manchester Utd Supporter (and we still didn't kick him out of the family) I will try to do cards either with that color theme (red, black, white) and maybe pick a different overall theme.

If you aren't confident in layout then use either a challenge etc.

HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think patterned paper ads a lot to a masculine card, economical addition.
When I'm stumped, I enter in this gallery the stamp sets I have and check the
cards for inspiration; so much easier, then trial and error in experimenting

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 01:47 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

GinaK just released a new stamp set called Special Fathers, perfect for masculine cards. The images include a grandfather clock, an ornate wall clock, a lighthouse and beach scene with a father quote. It also includes all the sentiments you'll ever need for any male member of your family. It's perfect for those men who don't do sports and/or are not really outdoorsy and who love ornate things.

Last edited by momtoggk; 05-30-2009 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: url didn't work
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 03:01 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by momtoggkView Post
GinaK just released a new stamp set called Special Fathers, perfect for masculine cards. The images include a grandfather clock, an ornate wall clock, a lighthouse and beach scene with a father quote. It also includes all the sentiments you'll ever need for any male member of your family. It's perfect for those men who don't do sports and/or are not really outdoorsy and who love ornate things.
LOVE these! They are really perfect for masculine cards. Definitely on my list to get someday!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 03:43 PM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually enjoy making masculine cards! I'm not so frilly or girly, so the colors and images of masculine themes are easy for me.
Here are some:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Punches are great for making a multitude of ideas. Go general, or stick to basic shapes (stars, etc.).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Sharon mentioned, I find the lack of embellishments difficult for masculine cards. I like sparkle, ribbon, bling... just doesn't work on a guy card. So I tend to use my crimper to add texture, and in a pinch I will use a brad as long as the colours are strong.

I get tired of trees on cards... so I have ventured away from some of those sets. I have Backwoods right now and am struggling with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 05:37 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Cheers to you is also a good one to use.

My blog
My SU! website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 PM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think the answer is
"because we're not men!"
We don't understand how they think.

I always try to make great masculine cards and proudly show them to my husband. "Is this a good guy card?" I ask. "It's nice," he answers.

Apparently it's all about the stamp set!
Ones he likes... And Many Mower, Under the Stars, Nature Silhouettes, Totally Tool
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I agree with a post above...sparkle and sprinkle has some wonderful car stamps...cartoon and real. I also love to use real like jungle animal stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:03 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also find it difficult to make guy cards. I just flat-out refuse to make guy cards if someone asks me to make some for them to give out.

For my dad, I go ahead and make them girlie; he'll forgive me I'm sure. He likes gardening, so I have flowers on cards for him. He also has a bird, so I also put birds on his cards.

For my brother I have to resort to drawing. Either that or I just stamp a bunch of circles.

For my nephew I stamp the same dang cars over and over again (refuse to buy any other car stamps - sick of them!!). He likes cars. When I can't stand those few stamps anymore, I take a break and draw him a new car. Then I go back to those car stamps 'cause stamping is sooo much easier than drawing. I'm trying to branch out to animals for my nephew too. His sister gets such superiour cards from me (in my opinion) that I don't want him to feel um... cheated?

For my father-in-law I stamp or draw dogs or taxis. He likes those.
If I wasn't so miserly, I'd go and buy all the guy cards I need and only make girlie cards.

My husband only gets girlie cards from me, 'cause that's when my work shines and he prefers those cards over my horribly lame guy cards. I'd always used to make a girlie card for someone else and he'd want to keep it. I would try to make a masculine version of the same card for him, but he never wanted the masculine version 'cause those would always suck in comparison. So I gave up and now he gets only feminine cards from me - all-out feminine too, with ribbon, brads, polka dots, scallops, flowers, pinks and pastels, stickles, you name it!!

edited to add:
In an emergency, I will take a big alphabet set and just fill up the whole card front with just the sentiment and maybe some circles or squares.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I also find it hard to make masculine cards. I think it's because men are kind of boring. I mean with guys "what you see is what you get". Whereas women have so many layers to their personalities it's just easier to find something that is one of their interests.

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #23  
Vintage Vixen

Thanks deeth1 for mentioning my cards!

I actually find masculine cards very easy to make, because I use a lot of vintage images. Here are some examples of cards I have sent to men.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy HeartView Post
I actually enjoy making masculine cards! I'm not so frilly or girly, so the colors and images of masculine themes are easy for me.
Here are some:

Happy Heart, your cards are all great and very amusing! Thanks for sharing!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 06:27 PM   #25  
Vintage Vixen

P.S. Buttons and ribbons are OK for men's cards! My Ron is a manly man, and he loves when I use buttons on his cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 07:39 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow I can't believe all of the feedback and suggestions that I have received. Thanks to all of you talented ladies out there. Can't wait to read the rest of the suggestions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Usually when I make a masculine card, I just skip using an image stamp all together. I'll use some die cut shapes like stars, circles, squares, etc. to make some sort of arrangement, then just stamp the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

If you haven't got enough ideas already here are two -
http://valitasfreshfolds.blogspot.co...llet-card.html

CASED card from ink-e by Lollies at Splitcoaststampers

I try not to use a image, but I use a manly paper or just a sentiment stamp. You can fold a shirt and use that as your focal image.

http://members.tripod.com/cecilia_liu/shirt.htm

good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 02:50 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

My favorite trick to make things look more masculine is to avoid round shapes. I don't know why it works for me (and I've seen great guy cards with ovals/circles/etc) but for me, keeping straight lines, bolder/darker colors and adding metal all seems to help.

Flourishes had a great challenge a while back to make "his n hers" cards. I enjoyed seeing how the same card could look more masculine by only changing a few elements. Here's the link - definitely worth checking out the samples. http://flourishesnewsletter.blogspot...challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Such great ideas and suggestions...thanks tractorchick03 for asking the question.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 05:33 PM   #31  
Glitter Queen

OnyxXpressions offers a nice variety of images suitable for male cards. Just recently, this new series of four card sets were introduced that are suitable for both Father's Day and Birthdays.

The samples in the WhatsNew Gallery show lots of examples of suitable male-oriented cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Lots of terrific ideas & suggestions above!
As to "why" are they so difficult for some of us? It's the Mars/Venus trap. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2009, 11:15 PM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm trained in masculine cards. I have a hubby, six sons and 2 grandsons.
Reply With Quote Likes