Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2015, 07:04 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Who does this?

Still buying dimensionals and foam tape...hummmm

After watching Jen Macquire using fun foam to pop up cards, I saw a tut on making your own dimensionals using this product.

Run your fun foam through your Zyron if you have one, and you can cut out any shape dimensional you want including strips for shaker cards.

Added bonus you can make them in color not just white. If you have a purple embellishment you won't have white showing from the side or no need to touch up with marker.

So am I just late to this party or what? Has anyone been doing this and should I dust off my Zyron?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't bother or have time to make stuff like this. I buy it at the store and be done with it;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 08:16 AM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this for years...that way I can hide the white with a color of the paper and cut small pieces for really small areas. I use sookwang tape because it is stronger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I only just got fun foam for the first time so I dont know how this will play out. I cant say that I had any complaints before that the card collapsed in the mail.

So at the moment I have both.

It does seem though like you can color fun foam vs sticky dim tape so that's good but you do still have to put adhesive on it. Plus is it so thin that unless it is right to the edge, who will see it? If my people are inspecting it that closely-that's a little worrisome lol. (non card makers) From what I have seen of McGuires cards on the angle I thing she leaves like a little space from the edge? But that could be just me.

Will it work better for making shaker frames? Seems like it might "on paper" since the sides wont be sticky but again I have to test it.

So to me you are not late to the party.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 09:33 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like this idea.

I've been wanting to find something thinner than foam tape or dimensionals. I'd do this if I can find thin fun foam or something else..maybe a thin chipboard. Something to think about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Yeah, I still have some bits of fun foam stickied through my Xyron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2015, 08:34 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to use fun foam eons ago, before I knew about foam tape. But I still had to buy the fun foam, and I still had to use extra adhesive on the foam. Once I found out about foam tape, I used that, and never went back to fun foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 12:19 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I use fun foam. I don't use the Xyron. I have used it in the past. Now, I use either Aleene's Tacky Glue or Double Sided Tape. It depends on the project which adhesive I will use. I hardly use foam tape any more. I really like with fun foam I can make the thickness and size the way I want it. The color matches my project.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 12:47 AM   #9  
*I stamp, therefore I am......*

I never did this but have fun foam and am running out of dimensionals so thank you for the idea!!!
today is a gift, enjoy every minute....

Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xyron refills are just so expensive, I can't see how it's terribly economical if you do it more than occasionally.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I prefer to buy SU dimensionals. If I had to make my own - I would just have all flat cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
Xyron refills are just so expensive, I can't see how it's terribly economical if you do it more than occasionally.
That's the way I feel. I have one of the small X style xyrons that came with a couple of refills and I am very stingy about using that thing. I only use it for super tiny die cut words and things like that.

I remember when I first started seeing some of the scrapbooking presentations on the shopping channels...the gals would gleefully run huge pieces of cardstock through the giant Xyron machine and do their pages lickety-split. I just cringed when I thought how much those giant refills cost and how I just would not be be able to do that at all. I'm even stingy with my Mono-Multi.:mrgreen:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:46 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Two words: "Coupon" "Sale" 40% off at Hobby Lobby every week, I wait until the category I want from Joann is 50% off online.
I haven't tried fun foam in Xyron, but I found out today that die cutting it in Big Kick squashes it. I cut some circles today for my 2nd shaker card ever, and they were about half as thick. Does the Xyron squash fun foam?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2015, 06:51 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

I think an alternative to the Xyron might be the sheets of double stick paper . If you have one sheet on hand then you can just grab it and cut it it size.I simply added the idea of the Zyron because I happened to see the tutorial while on Pinterest.

.Jen M just puts Tombow tape on her fun foam. I posted this as the idea of using fun foam for items where you would be using a lot of pieces of Scotch foam tape which is not cheap either if you need a lot. With the fun foam you simpy add the Tombow or sookwang tape to your foam. I like the idea of using this when layering a small layer in the centre of a card for a stable layer. I just did one and like look of the smaller stitched layer raised better than on the same card glued down flat.

I also think if you are putting balloons on a card you could also die cut the foam and put it under the balloon for dimension. I do use dimensionals,but after seeing what JM did with this I decided it was worth a try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 12:09 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was forced to use fun foam, I would just use the ATG adhesive on it. I don't even have a Xyron.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 02:00 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
If I was forced to use fun foam, I would just use the ATG adhesive on it. I don't even have a Xyron.
That's exactly what I was thinking!! Love the ATG and refills are so cheap with a 40% coupon at Michaels.

I like the sounds of them being thinner. I often find the dimensions a bit too high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2015, 02:40 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a Xyron but rarely use it.

I saw Jennifer's video on fun foam for dimension and was immediately struck at how frugal that it is. Sheets of fun foam are very inexpensive and you can cut them to size. I use Tombow glue to attach the fun foam to the shape and my card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:20 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I doubt I will use fun foam, but I did want to offer another suggestion. Fun foam comes in the form of stickers in all shapes, colors, and sizes and can easily be located in the big box stores on the kids craft aisle. If using those, adhesive would only need to be applied to one side and they could still be cut down if needed. I would suggest trying some of the letters since you could get lots of angles using them. They usually have seasonal ones that can be purchased at a reduced price following a major holiday. If you buy them and they don't work for you, give them to a church or preschool...kids love them. They are not very expensive and you can use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use fun foam for my shaker cards (all 3 that I've actually made, LOL). I just use whatever double sided tape I have to adhere the acetate and then mono-multi to glue the paper to the foam. Works great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 05:50 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Thanks for the tip, canada goose and brookskaren.

I bought some fun foam from the dollar store with the intention of trying this after seeing J McGuire do it. I have not yet tried it though.

My general question: So if you are using fun foam to pop up card panels, are you now applying adhesive to both sides of the foam?

Is the savings on the foam counteracted by the extra use of glue/tape runner/adhesive of choice?

If there is still a cost savings I would see this really benefiting the frugal crafter. Maybe not so much for the gal with limited craft time. Well, now that I think about it, cutting off foam tape strips and removing the particularly tricky backing isn't a speedy task either.

I really love the 3M foam tape though. Just the right amount of lift.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:25 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 931 Likes on 852 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by brookskarenView Post
I doubt I will use fun foam, but I did want to offer another suggestion. Fun foam comes in the form of stickers in all shapes, colors, and sizes and can easily be located in the big box stores on the kids craft aisle. If using those, adhesive would only need to be applied to one side and they could still be cut down if needed. I would suggest trying some of the letters since you could get lots of angles using them. They usually have seasonal ones that can be purchased at a reduced price following a major holiday. If you buy them and they don't work for you, give them to a church or preschool...kids love them. They are not very expensive and you can use a coupon.
I use these alot! My grandkids are over alot and I keep buying the huge seasonal tubs of un foam stickers with a coupon at Michaels. If I don't want a white dimentional to show from the side of color stock I find a colored fun foam shape and use that instead with a little dab of glue. It's also handy to have these around for the occaisional times I run out of dimentionals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:37 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I have been making my dimensionals for years now and I still make them. I find the 2mm thickness of the fun foam is perfect. I run them through my Xyron twice to place adhesive on both sides and then place them next to my favorite TV watching chair. I punch the sheets with a mini circle punch from Stampin Up to make cute little circles. I never buy a Xyron adhesive refill without a coupon. I keep a baggy full of dimensionals In my craft bag and in my craftroom. Have you ever had dimensionals that dried up and didn't keep your cards together? These keep your cards together years from now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 08:07 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Who does this

Quote:

Originally Posted by meeyore151View Post
I use fun foam for my shaker cards (all 3 that I've actually made, LOL). I just use whatever double sided tape I have to adhere the acetate and then mono-multi to glue the paper to the foam. Works great!
I watched a tut by Jen and the opening was a heart being layered onto another piece of card stock. By cutting out the heart in the foam in a slightly smaller layer gave the whole top layer even stability.

In an other tut She layered a lacy die cut between two layers (with foam)and it suspended the floral die between the two layers of card stock layers to appear to be floating.

As many are aware this is her job,as she says and she makes tons of cards. I don't think she would be sharing this technique if she did not think it beneficial for a number of reasons not just money alone. As already mentioned it comes in different thicknesses and I also use to shape my flowers, now I have another use for it .Fun foam can be bought at a dollar store so no waiting for michaels coupons to save money lol.

Anyway just thought I would pass on what I found to be a good technique, at least for me, and hope someone else might find it useful. Happy Stamping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 08:11 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

As with so many products, it does serve a good purpose. Nice to but the shape and use it as a dimensional for a large piece. But also, need my regular dimensionals. That is why I have too much of everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I think fun foam would work. I like the thinner thickness it has as sometimes the pop dots are quite high! I would probably be more liberal with it too than I am with my pop dots or foam tape.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a package of fun foam that came with adhesive on the back side. I actually didn't realize it had adhesive on it when I bought it. I only need to add adhesive to one side yo use it as dimensional so for cards. Very inexpensive and great to keep on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I don't bother or have time to make stuff like this. I buy it at the store and be done with it;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I love my xyron, but not for making popups. I can't be bothered my own. They aren't that expensive. Do the math, and figure $$ for your time, and see if it's really worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2015, 07:25 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Just to clarify what may be a misunderstanding.

I did not say Jennifer McQuire used fun foam with a Zyron.

I said she uses fun foam ....period

Another person suggested using Xyron on fun foam in a tutorial I saw

These were two different things . Just wanted to clarify that J was not endorsing using a Zyron for adhesive which she does not.

Seems to be most are focusing on the Zyron tutorial as opposed to just the suggestion on how ff can be used for dimension.

Just want to clarify.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2015, 10:53 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

If I thought that foam tape showed too much, I might use fun foam, but I don't see it as that obtrusive. However, I do use foam tape not pop dots which are too high in my opinion, so they probably do show more. Now, for shaker cards, fun foam is the way to go as it can be cut perfectly to fit, the adhesive is not on the sides and it can be somewhat color coordinated.
Reply With Quote Likes