Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default White Card Stock for Intricate Dies

I have been bitten by the die bug lately and have purchased some beautiful but intricate dies by companies like Memory Box. I generally use SU Whisper White and Georgia Pacific 110 lb for my card making, but it seems to be too flimsy for creating detailed die cuts. Whenever I try, the pieces tend to curl up on the edges and just don't look very nice when I try to use them on a card.

Just wondering what other people are using to get the nice results I'm seeing on cards on Pinterest using these dies?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:20 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually use the Recollections brand from Michaels for die cutting. Its 65lb and it works great in the thin dies like Memory Box or Spellbinders. It also cuts beautifully in the electronic die cutting machines. I have a Zing and it cuts like a dream.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I usually use the Recollections brand from Michaels for die cutting. Its 65lb and it works great in the thin dies like Memory Box or Spellbinders. It also cuts beautifully in the electronic die cutting machines. I have a Zing and it cuts like a dream.
Thanks for the tip. I just purchased Spellbinders Marvelous squares and have had a difficult time with them. I was using GinaK light layering paper and still had problems with the paper releasing from the dies.

Maybe using 65lb paper will be better. I posted my question on another thread but no response so far there.

So thanks again for this thread and your answer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 04:20 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the reply, Cat Woman. I have a Michaels nearby so I will have to pick some up and try it.

Anybody else have any recommendations? I was thinking that I probably needed HEAVIER cardstock to help eliminate the curling. I have never had any problems with my paper releasing from my Memory Box dies, so I guess I wasn't worried about that problem. Maybe that's an issue with the thicker cardstock, though, so I'll have to keep that in mind.

What about Gina K? Wonder how that would work for die cuts?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2014, 04:53 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michael's also sells the Recollections 110lb cardstock in white and cream (kind of like very vanilla). I like to use this weight when cutting some of the intricate dies because it is so much heavier. You can only get it in the 2 colors and it's sold in a package of 250 sheets. Make sure you use your coupon for this item!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 02:55 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Michael's also sells the Recollections 110lb cardstock in white and cream (kind of like very vanilla). I like to use this weight when cutting some of the intricate dies because it is so much heavier. You can only get it in the 2 colors and it's sold in a package of 250 sheets. Make sure you use your coupon for this item!
I was just coming back to suggest this as well! Great minds think alike. I haven't tried cutting this in any of the dies I have or on my Zing yet since I've only been using it for card bases so far. But I have to say, the Recollections coloured cardstock is really nice for die cutting and layering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 03:00 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you haven't tried Recollections paper for card bases, you really need to. It is the best. And with a coupon, it is a real bargain. Love it. Don't use anything else. Happy Stamping...Bobbi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 03:46 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used the 110# ivory Recollections card stock from Michael's and have die cut with it and it worked wonderfully. (Also love the thickness for card bases and embossing). Loll Thompson has mentioned on some of her die cuts she cuts out several and glues them together to make them more sturdy. Might be an option to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you everyone for your input! Marymint, the suggestion of gluing multiple die cuts together is a good one. I will definitely try it. I just got a few more dies in my order from Addicted to Rubber Stamps today so I can't wait to get home and play with my new toys!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 10:19 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I could not get an intricate Spellbinders die (Lattice) to cut SU cardstock! I have not tried anything heavier. I tried 65 lb cardstock and had better luck, but could not get paper to release without using wax paper between die and paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe I am missing something but, I use cardstock from Office Depot, the thickest kind (IDK the weight) and it does not curl up. Why spend money needlessly when regular old cardstock will suffice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2014, 05:39 PM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

The same Memory Box bug that bit you got me too! I don't want to think about how much I've spent over the past few months.

I just use basic run-of-the mill CS and I haven't noticed it curling. What adhesive are u using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love Recollection's from Michael's. I don't live close to Michael's any more. I know we can order from them now. I have been using ColorBok's cardstock from WalMart. It cuts like a dream.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 09:33 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the paper from Staples - it is 110 lb. weight and comes in white and off white with a few packets of 5 colors (I think) like light blue, pink, mint green and coral. It cuts very nicely with all my die types. You can feel the difference in weight just by touching it and I have no trouble stamping on it or using various coloring inks and techniques. I also use this paper as my base cardstock as it doesn't crack when I fold it in half. There are lots and lots of paper out there, but my preference is Staples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,065 Likes on 820 Posts

I can't remember how I came to use some of my Cryogen white for cutting - there must have been a scrap 1/4 sheet on the floor near my dies. But it cuts beautifully, comes out well, and then is a pleasure to sponge colour onto if you want to add detail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 06:42 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

If you are having trouble with the die releasing your paper, add a sheet of waxed paper to your sandwich between the die and the cardstock. For intricate dies the waxed paper will help everything release very nicely!!

Sometimes when I am using a very intricate die, I run my cardstock thru the Xyron first and then die cut. It really helps with curling and such when you go to adhere your die cut to your project.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 07:58 AM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

hmmm, I have some intricate dies that I put in my "sell" pile because I cannot get a good die cut with them. Even with waxed paper. The (110 lb GP) paper sticks to the die and then it crumples or breaks when I try to get it out.

I think I should try using some of my PTI or GinaK cs with the dies to see if I get better results. I really like the dies (hence why I bought them!) and it sure would make me happy if I can actually use them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 08:07 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
hmmm, I have some intricate dies that I put in my "sell" pile because I cannot get a good die cut with them. Even with waxed paper. The (110 lb GP) paper sticks to the die and then it crumples or breaks when I try to get it out.

I think I should try using some of my PTI or GinaK cs with the dies to see if I get better results. I really like the dies (hence why I bought them!) and it sure would make me happy if I can actually use them!

I have tried Papertrey and GinaK 110lb paper to cut my intricate dies along with wax paper between die and paper. I can't get it to work. I have tried GinaK 80lb paper in my intricate dies with wax paper. Dies cut better but sometimes still stick. I am on a search for smaller weight paper, but it has to be good quality for stamping and coloring with copics.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
[/COLOR]

I have tried Papertrey and GinaK 110lb paper to cut my intricate dies along with wax paper between die and paper. I can't get it to work. I have tried GinaK 80lb paper in my intricate dies with wax paper. Dies cut better but sometimes still stick. I am on a search for smaller weight paper, but it has to be good quality for stamping and coloring with copics.

Thank you for that information.

Maybe I should try a lighter weight paper instead of heavier! I would love to be able to get some good diecuts with my intricate dies. I feel like I've wasted my money on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-01-2014, 12:13 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a detailed butterfly sizzlit that just wouldn't cut - I tried cardstock, DSP, normal copy paper - nothing worked.

Then I tried PTI's Linen Vellum and it's perfect! The only thing that works. So now I only cut butterflies from that I highly recommend it, as it's not as thick as cardstock but is thicker than normal vellum. The structure of the paper seems to allow the detailed bits to be removed after just one pass.

I sometimes curve/roll the die cut around my finger to loosen the bits that need to be removed. I also use my tailor's awl to push out the more tenacious pieces...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2014, 06:10 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

hobby lobby has an extra heavy cardstock I love it 50 sheets $4.50 this week as all Paper Studio is 1/2 off this week. Comes in cr�me, white and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #22  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJP111View Post
I had a heck of a time with the Memory Box Winterland Tree die. I just could not get a good cut. I checked Youtube and they recommended putting a few layers of Scotch tape on the back. Didn't work. I tried wax paper. Ditto. I added a shim between the die and the top plate. Finally, I added a scrap of cardstock underneath the dp I was trying to cut and that worked much better. I still had to do a little spot cutting.

Intricate dies are not for the faint of heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

I was at a stamping convention last year, and the demonstrator from the Cherry Lynn company showed us how to cut intricate dies. Reading this thread, I heard a lot of you trying the waxed paper between the cardstock and die and it didn't seem to help much. She used 2 pcs. of waxed paper, cut the die out (she demo'd a lovely butterfly with lots of skinny, cut out areas) and it cut like a charm. I have started doing that and it really works well. Then, she took the 2 pieces of waxed paper (which will stick together like glue) colored this with alcohol inks using a finger dauber, sprinkled with glitter and it made a lovely delicate looking, lacy looking, sparkly, shimmering butterfly that was surprisingly "heavy" and not delicate to the touch. Maybe try something like that. I have hundreds of dies and some cut better than others but it's rare that I have to scissors cut any part of them. One other thing - sometimes I run the dies back and forth up to 20 times, turning the die a quarter turn after about 5 "back-and-forth" - this helps too. Good luck - don't give up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

sorry - after she colored the wax paper butterfly with finger daubers, she added a thin layer of glue, sprinkled with glitter.....so sorry.......... didn't want to leave out any steps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 04:10 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I can't remember how I came to use some of my Cryogen white for cutting - there must have been a scrap 1/4 sheet on the floor near my dies. But it cuts beautifully, comes out well, and then is a pleasure to sponge colour onto if you want to add detail.

love the "on the floor near my dies" reference. Yes! My floor is often littered with "stuff".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 AM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

bluebird, running it through 20 times did the trick! I'm building up my bicep muscles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

I'm so happy that works for you Treasures! The money we spend on our dies - there has to be something we can do to make them cut easier. Good for the bicep muscles as you said. I have a small tear in the muscle that holds the shoulder and - this is sort of funny - it hurt too much to use my machine! Oh noooooo. LOL 2 months later, cortisone shots and lots of exercises and I'm back to cranking the machine! Yeah! Happy cranking to you too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2014, 04:54 PM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,927 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Are you sure of the number of sheets? I pulled my label out and there are only 100 sheets because its so heavy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 08:17 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I watched multiple demos at CKC (San Marcos) this past weekend using blank index cards of all things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

I have the 110# Recollections Ivory and it is indeed 100 sheets. That stuff is great - very heavy, awesome for a card base.
Reply With Quote Likes