Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where in your house do you stamp?

I am moving to a new house in a week (yea!) and I am thrilled that I have some options for a space to stamp.

(In my last home I just kept my supplies in the basement and brought it up to the dining room as needed. And in my current temporary apartment there's no space for anything!)

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out what will be the best option:
1. There's a closet in the living room/library that has shelves and I think will work well for my supplies. I could then put a small table in that room for me to work at, but the table would have to be small. And I also don't have much money to spend and would want the table to be at least somewhat attractive.

2. I could use the same closet for storage, but work in the kitchen (just a few feet away) either at the butcher block top island or at the kitchen table.

3. There is a partially finished basement. It will primarily be a playroom for my kids, but I could put a table down there for me. (I could use a card table or possibly get a big plastic topped one with folding legs.) I'd leave the table out, but I'd have to keep my supplies in the unfinished part of the basement though. If I left them out in the playroom, my 3 year old and 1 year old would destroy them.

Where in your house do you stamp? Any other ideas?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:14 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I stamp in my unfinished basement. I don't have to put things away and can close the door on the mess. ;)

Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:15 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I stamp in a spare bedroom that is now entirely my craft room. It is on the same floor of the house where my husband and son hang out. I like being somewhat nearby.

I think you'll find that eventually you will outgrow all spaces!! It's a disease!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:17 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

When we remodeled our kitchen we ended up a room off the back of it. It should be the mudroom but I've been using it as my scraproom. Its great during the winter, but during the summer all the kids shoes, toys, and outside junk gets deposited in it by the backdoor. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:19 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I stamp in my basement. It was unfinished originally but we are in the process of finishing it - it's about 1/2 way done. I used to carry everything up to the dining room table but that's a pain then to have to clean up everytime you are done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I stamp in the finished part of the basement. I share the room with the kids (5&7 now) playroom. I was concerned about them getting into stuff when they were younger. (been doing this since my 7 yo was 2). I just keep stuff in closed cabinets, drawers and higher up. It's worked out okay and they know NOT to touch mommy's stuff without express permission.

I keep a small storage bin with craft supplies that they can use whenever they want and that seemed to help w/DD when she was little. Now she wants my stuff but wouldn't DARE to try it without me....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

I have a small room in my finished basement that became my craft room. It has a door so I can close it if I need to so no one see how messy it is!!

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:34 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

I took over the office!! Our computer is still in here- but pretty much everything else has been taken over by my stamps..and supplies..
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I stamp in my Stamping Room, which was my oldest DD's bedroom. One advantage of empty-nesthood (and maybe the ONLY one - we loved having our girls at home with us!), is extra rooms when they move out!

Oldest DD's room: Stamp/SBing room
Middle DD's room: DH's office
Youngest DD's room: Library (as of a year ago)

We miss them all, but we enjoy our WHOLE house! <g>

My stamping room is the smallest of the girls' bedrooms, but it has a northern exposure - I've heard that's best for art. <g> My table faces the huge windows - the room gets light all day, but doesn't ever get the real bright light shining in your eyes. It just worked out that way, but I love it!
~ Susan - Celebrating 19 years as an SU demo! Grammy to Anna 15, Elizabeth 14, Nora 12, Abigail 12, Kendall 10 , Isaac 10, Evan 7, and Hudson 3 with me in my avatar Proud to be SCS Fan Club Member since the beginning!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a stamp room upstairs, but, due to many knee surgeries, I now stamp out of a closet in my bedroom. Funny thing is that I actually like it better! It forced me to be more organized and less messy. I may even get around to weeding out some sets! (or NOT! LOL)
I use every available space for stamp storage (I have hundreds of sets!)...two under-bed containers, a large armoire with five drawers, and one drawer in another dresser.
I want to design, or have someone design, a more effective set-up in the closet, because the space isn't well utilized now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

I stamp in a small bedroom upstairs that is completely for my hobby. It is right in between my children's bedrooms so at night I can sit in there and do my thing while they fall asleep!!!

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Our house was built in the 30's, so we have a small room off our bedroom that was orignally used as a nursery. It's the perfect size to put my desk, paper racks and a bookcase. I painted it in River Rock, and I love having a separate space that I don't always have to clean off!

That said, if I didn't have that room, I would probably be sharing the office with my husband. It's just better for both of us if we don't. Ha!
My Etsy Shop!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Mississippi McGyver

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I stamp at the dining room table. I have my supplies in boxes by the table. An eyesore, I know but convienient. I have to hide them all if I want to have company. I have a basement that I hope to finish to have a stamping room, but I am waiting until I have some $ to add some lighting. A lot of room and a bare lightbulb hanging from a string is no good!!! Especially since I work during the day and can only stamp at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

I revamped the biggest bedroom into a stamp studio! I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a large enclosed front porch and that is where I stamp. It's a nice-sized space and works well for me. The drawback is the mess of my stamp room is the first thing visitors see as they enter - luckily we do not have too much company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:27 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Our house has a basement with fam room, bath and bonus room. My son used to live down there, but when he got married, I refurbished his room into my stamping room. It's nice and cool and peaceful down there. I have no other kids at home, so I don't mind being down there away from the main floor. (But when I did have kids at home and more activity, I did all my stamping in the dining room so I could still keep an eye on things.) It's nice not having to put everything away all the time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a wonderful stamp room. My hubby and I also have a nice size room for our office...oh the joys of all the kids moving off...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

In my Scrapbook/craft room, stamping stuff is a a smaller collection of the two but We built our house last year and I took over the front room which is seperate than the living room, it is for now my very own, but we eventually are building my own seperate location from the house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Sad to say in the spare bedroom on a table tray
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:48 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't have much room either, and so I crafted : ) an area out of our family room, it is about 46 inches wide by about 77 inches long, and it really has been wonderful!

Here is a link to the photos of the area:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jheffner...eaInFamilyRoom

You would be surprised what you can do with a small area, a corner of a room, just by putting in shelves and a small desk, and with a small investment of maybe a moveable type of screen, you can also hide your stamp area.

I stamped at my kitchen table for a very sort time before my family kicked me out because for some reason they wanted to eat at the table! Go figure ; )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

I stamp in our bonus room above the garage. It's the size of a double garage, so there is a good amount of space up there. It doubles as a play room for the kids, but I'm slowly taking over. The only downside is that it is in a far corner of the house. I can't stamp and hang out with my DH at the same time in the evenings so there are many times when I'm either stamping alone up there or longing to be up there while I hang out with hubby while we (he) watch boxing together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use a small extra bedroom that a previous owner added on in the early 2000s. It isn't connected to the house's HVAC system (no heat in the winter isn't so fun), but it does have a good sized closet and plenty of wall space for bookcases and shelving. My husband's desk is on the landing right outside my door so it is nice in the evenings (he reads or listens to hockey and I craft).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 09:14 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

I keep all of my stuff in the garage turned craft room, but since it does not have heat or air, I bring into the kitchen/dining table what I will work on and then put it back when I am done. I also run a dehumidifier 24/7 in the garage so my paper stays nice and dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp in the kitchen. Its not too bad of a situation, lots of counter space to spread out on and forces me to not be as messy. But, it can get annoying to drag everything out and have to set-up each time I stamp. At least my supplies won't go missing like if I had a permanent stamp area since I'm sure my cats would make it their new fav play area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 AM   #25  
Kookie Creator

In my former house, I stamped at a table set up in the corner of my bedroom. By having such tight quarters, it limited how much I purchased on stamping supplies
Now I have a home where I have a stamping room in the finished basement. It is a small room, but is octagonal shaped (I love the character of it). It had been an office, so there are built in cupboards/shelves and lots of counter. I claimed it as mine as soon as we decided on the house. Loving being in the basement during the summer with 100 degree heat.
My vote for you would be the basement. I agree with others that it is a pain to have to either pick up your supplies after every creative session or cart your supplies from one place to another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:23 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I stamp in my craft room. The previous owners of our house enclosed a side porch as a playroom for their children. Now it's my playroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM   #27  
Die Cut Diva

We turned the second smallest bedroom in our 4 bedroom house into my stamping room. Now I want to get rid of the bed that's in there! It's not being used anyways.

We don't have children yet, but the smallest bedroom is my hubby's office (although he doesn't use it!), the next size up bedroom is my stamp room, and then we still have one bedroom for when we start our family (right now it's our "collect all" room and is a giant mess!). Hopefully we'll have moved by the time we have more than one child, so I can still have a room for my hobby!

My Little Blog! Amy's Inky Fingers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,062 Likes on 817 Posts

I used to stamp on the dining room table, along with all my DH's home studio recording stuff and bits of his PC.
Then we moved, and I got the attic, with 3 skylight windows. I love it, I don't have to tidy everything away when we have guests, and everything is always going to be exactly where I left it.
Still doesn't mean I can always find everything, though, LOL.
Slightly cold in the winter and hot in the summer, but those are minor compared to having space.
And the luxury of being able to put all my stuff on shelves, instead of having to get it out of plastic boxes all the time.
Lucky you having more space - enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 11:47 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go for the basement with the kids. You can craft and keep an eye on them. You could purchase a metal cabinet that could be padlocked. They are inexpensive and used to store flamables, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp in the living room because there's tons of light and I'm close to everyone that way. I have 2 6ft long banquet tables to work on. I store my stuff in plastic boxes underneath them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinchicagoView Post
I would go for the basement with the kids. You can craft and keep an eye on them. You could purchase a metal cabinet that could be padlocked. They are inexpensive and used to store flamables, etc.
ITA. Being able to close the door on the mess is a big bonus, as is being able to watch the kids. But if you don't like it, you can always move to the closet and see if that works better. I always remind myself that I CAN change my mind...;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #32  
Montague Mingler

I have a craft area in middle son's old bedroom (or, as he prefers to say, the OLDEST son's old bedroom!) I have a desk and a small table with all my crafting stuff on shelves or a rack in the closet.

My family coat of arms ties at the back... is that normal?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I stamp in an extra bedroom. I have a closet to store all my stuff and have a table in the corner to stamp on. I share the room with exercise equipment. Sadly, the stamps get used the most!!!
#24 Fan!
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I stamp in my *stamping closet* of course!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #35  
Inking Addict

My stamp space is half of the finished basement, the other half is a craft/play area for the kids. My DS that is 6 is very artistic so for his birthday I converted an area just for him to do his crafts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 2 room apartment at one end of my husband's workshop-barn and I have converted it into a stamping studio. It has a complete kitchen and living area in one room and then a bedroom and bath in the other. I use the kitchen cabinets for stamps and have a library table that holds all of my SU stamps. I have an 8 ft. table in the living area with all the supplies, embellishments, pencils, stamp pads, etc. at my finger tips. My friend next door has a key and she can come stamp anytime she wants to or stamps with me. We share purchases of SU stuff and put it all together. It is a wonderful arrangement. I am so fortunate.

-------------------------

Doris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 01:40 PM   #37  
Glitter Guru

I have an entire 11x15 open loft and of that, a 4x6 area contains toys for my 2 year old. A pain to keep cool in Texas summers though. I was going to take the spare room downstairs until my DH decided that the office needed to be downstairs in the cooler room. Oh well, I got the bigger space and an AC window unit to help cool the loft.
I would LOVE to have a basement someday, even if only half of one!
I think taking the partial basement and finding some tall book shelves, perhaps 2, either at a garage sale or see if you can find them on discount at office max or office depot for storage. Then, you could store all your things on the upper 3 shelves or so, out of little hands reach.
As far as a table, I think those laminated pressboard ones with folding legs are much more sturdy than the plastic ones. I have found the plastic ones give way sometimes and leave an unstamped area of my image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I stamp in a spare bedroom that is now entirely my craft room. It is on the same floor of the house where my husband and son hang out. I like being somewhat nearby.

I think you'll find that eventually you will outgrow all spaces!! It's a disease!!
TOTALLY AGREE!! I also stamp in a spare bedroom, and its now packed FULL of stuff. And its only been 1 year since I moved in..... :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #39  
Insane Embellisher

I stamp in my spare bedroom. I have a old buffett (like a tall dresser but with lots of drawers) that I use to hold all my junk, and I just use the top of it for my work space. I have to stand up when doing anything. It holds alot of my stuff, and I have a 2 drawer nightstand that is full of paper, cardstock, and envelopes. I need some better organization coz it's kind of a mess. My 4 year old son loves to come in and juimp on the bed and bug me when I'm trying to get something accomplished. I have to totally clean it all up and find room to stuff all my junk that just sits on top whenever we have someone come to stay for a few days- drives me nuts!

I frequently whine to my hubby that it's not fair that he has a 40 x 40 polebarn where he gets to play and hang out and I only get part of a room. Hoping that some day we will add on to out house and I can have my own room with a lock on the door. And a computer and maybe even a fridge....

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

Another one in the closet here. We transformed the closet in our office. It looks very similar to the elfa systems from the container store, we just did it cheaper ourselves. There is a desktop and then shelves above and to the sides. We had the home improvement store cut a big piece of melamime for us for the desktop and shelves (it's wood coated with a white finish). I think overall it cost us under $150 for the materials.

It's nice because my husband plays a lot of computer games and we can both be in the office indulging in our hobbies at the same time without getting in each other's way.

The basement sounds like the best option for the OP.
Reply With Quote Likes