Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-07-2004, 08:14 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where do u get su supplies cheaper

what websites, or stores do u visit to get some su supplies cheaper...i know viking for mono, but i was wondering where u get the things u would use for your own personal or non su stamping.

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:29 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Dollar stores, Michaels or Joanns with coupons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi there, I get most of my cardstock from Walmart- you can find several colored packages and white for pretty cheap. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:38 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Anchor paper in Mpls has the same envelopes, and some of the paper like confetti and natural.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:44 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

The only other thing (besides mono) that I get from another company are envelopes. You can get them really cheap at Wal-Mart. All of the other products are great and reasonable. Plus, by using them, you encourage your customers to use and purchase them too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:46 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

winniethepoodle,

where is anchor papaer located?

i live in st paul...

thanks,
elsa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 08:53 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

erased message to avoid confusion

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:13 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

I love the Anchor Paper - Here are the Directions - I need to make a trip there soon but you buy your paper and envelopes by the pound which is alot cheaper - They also have every other supply imaginable. This is one of my favorite Stores. If you go to http://www.anchorpaper.com there are other locations around the Twin Cities area. I do believe the one on Hwy 55 is actually called Express

Plymouth
12855 Highway 55
Plymouth, MN 55441

1-800-398-2524 763-550-0926
Fax: 763-550-0511

Directions
From the West - Take 494 to the Highway 55 exit. Go East approximately 1 mile to Industrial Park Blvd. Take a right turn and an immediate left turn on the service road. We are the 3rd building on the right. We have our store entrance at the back of the building.

From the East - From Highway 169, go west on Highway 55. Go to County Road 6 and get in the right hand left turn lane. Take a left hand turn and an immediate right hand turn on the service road. We are the 2nd building on the left. We have our store entrance at the back of the building.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:22 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Let me see if I understand. Are you asking where to get SU materials for WORKSHOPS but not buying them from SU? Did you know that violates SU policy? It's one thing for you to use whatever you want for cards to send, it's another thing to demo non-SU products. I don't even demo non-su EP. That would be against the agreement I remember signing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

no no no....i guess i wasn't saying it right....I am a new demo, and was wondering where u get supplies cheaper than su for things u make on your own so that u can save supplies for workshops, etc. I know that especially this time of year, this year in particular, i had quite a few people order christmas cards from me. I go through a ton of paper, and mono....i know anything that's su sponsored or however u want to put it, is su products only. im not trying to not buy su, but...here's an example...i spent about $150 on JUST paper, etc from su knowing christmas was coming up, and i would have to make a ton of cards. I got way more orders than i was expecting, and ran out of paper, and adhesive very quickly. i ordered about 14 mono refills from viking, and am on my last one. I just thought for times like these when orders are delayed, etc, it would be good to know where u could get supplies in a bind. i became a demo because i love su and think they have great products...however, things like especially us white, and mono go so quickly for their price...since i do other things for non su customers, etc., i thought i might be able to save a bit of $$ that way. sorry if i didn't explain myself correctly the first time, but this was all i was getting at

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:31 AM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

I am with Kymber. I never demo non-SU. I may make products for personal use but never demo them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

You also can't beat Stampin'Up! quality in paper anywhere. I started out 6 1/2 years ago. Tried to save money and found out the other stuff is inferior. I will only use Stampin'Up! now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Default paper craft supplies online

Do a google search on 'scrapbooking' or 'rubber stamps'... you'll find all kinds of online stores that carry similar or same product as in the SU catalog. Addicted to Rubberstamps and Addicted to scrapbooking are some of my favorite sites. I also get very high quality paper and envelopes at neenahpaper.com

have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:38 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Gotcha, ok, that makes more sense. The only think I buy non SU is mono and white envelopes and that is on the rare occasion that I am not using SU. Sorry, I can't be of any more help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 09:51 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default SU Supplies

There are very few items that I don't buy from Stampin' Up. I think I bought my crimper before I became a demo.

Card stock - since at one time I was employed by a paper manufacturer, I can tell you that there are differences in paper quality. The card stock that we purchase through Stampin' Up is a higher quality, absorbs ink better and matches more consistently. I have never thought about purchasing white stock; although we might make a request from SU to allow us to purchase by the ream. That might cut our cost down. And theirs as well, in the repackaging end.

Envelopes from Wal-Mart are inexpensive but also look cheap. They are not the same quality either.

Ribbons - I have priced both Michaels, JoAnns and Hancock. SU packages them in a roll of 25 yards. If you calculate the cost, you are actually paying more for a lesser quality ribbon.

For the most part, it's just not worth hunting around for the "great" deals; let me know if you find something that just can't miss.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:04 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Location: This must be heaven...there are stamps & scrapbooks EVERYWHERE!!!

There are several things that I buy outside form SU, but not for demo purposes. I buy mono from viking; envelopes from clearenvelopes.com; and lots of embellishments form JoAnn's or AC Moore. However, I feel very strongly about SU paper, ink and embossing products. I have tried others...SU's is just better!!! Just one demo's opinion!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:21 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I have to agree with everyone on the paper issue. I have even found that for my own personal purposes- like scrapbooking and cards that I'm not demoing but making for personal use, I can't use anything but SU paper. I haven't found anything I like better. And I can get it at a discount so why not use it. I use Mono from viking but only at stamp camps and for personal use. Lately I have been demoing using the SNAIL. My sister in law found white cardstock at sam's club for $5.00 for 250 sheets so I picked some of that up for kids projects, but other than that I have found that I gravitate towards all SU products. Except I do use my 40 % off Michaels coupon to buy the white gift bags (13 for 9.99)to wheel on.
Angel #2865
Ask me about TAC.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:33 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

ok...i totally agree with everyone about su paper...even the white..however, being a new demo, im not trying to "break the bank" trying to make examples, etc. This year i sold over 200 christmas cards, and am still working on "packs" of all occasion cards that some people are wanting to give with calendars. I only sell my cards for $1-$2. This being said, I am just worried with all the problems with su shipping at the moment that i will not be able to order more paper, let alone have time to finish making things by the time it gets here. I know as time goes on, i will get better about what to order, how much, and when, but until then, it just seems like there's got to be a way to save a little bit for the non demo stuff...when i originally posted, i meant to put for anything but stamps camps, etc, and somehow i put for stamp camps, etc. guess that's what i get for trying to listen to a 2 year old and type at the same time. i totally love su, and would use only su stuff for everything, it's just that starting out, there seem to be so many things to get, and it gets expensive...i just didn't know if there were just a couple things, mono for example that is the same as su quality, but just a tad cheaper in a bind. i don't want anyone to misunderstand me that im not all about su....there paper quality is second to none. i guess im just feeling overwhelmed, and biting off more than i can chew....i guess the question should have been more like what do u do when your order wont get here fast enough to complete orders u have for selling your su supplies...and before i get bombarded with this, please let me state, thanks to past scs posts, i am fully aware, and am following every bit of the angel policy! thanks for your help gals!

steph

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 10:49 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Default Re: SU Supplies

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gail Hollar

Ribbons - I have priced both Michaels, JoAnns and Hancock. SU packages them in a roll of 25 yards. If you calculate the cost, you are actually paying more for a lesser quality ribbon.
I recently have been on the ribbon search and you are right. SU is better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

I used to get Georgia-Pacific white cs at Wal-Mart for my kids to use, but I won't do that anymore. At a homeschool group class a couple of months ago, I tried to save a little bit and gave the kids the non-SU! cardstock, and their projects just didn't look as good as my sample. Right there in front of everybody, my 12-year old daughter piped up, "Mommy, is this Stampin' Up! cardstock?" How embarrassing! I learned my lesson!

Barb Coblentz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 11:32 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Oh my gosh, my girls would do that to me. They know SU's products inside out and upside down.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 12:43 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

My DS knows SU products!!! He could probably demo a workshop as well as, or better than me. And he's six and a half!!! :shock:

Unless you are in a major bind and really don't think that if you order today you won't get your supplies in time would use SU. With your 20% off (I'm assuming you are a demo) and the fact that it goes toward your monthly sales, you are coming out way ahead.

If your customers are worth using SU materials aren't your loved ones? That's just my opinion on the matter. I can REALLY tell a difference in SU and other brands, ESPECIALLY the US cardstock (white/vanilla) and the ribbon (so much softer, silkier and easier to work with).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 01:51 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Almost everyone I know keeps the cards that I send. These same people glance at the envelope theat the project comes in and then throw it away. I buy my envies at Wal-Mart so I can use the $$$ I save to buy more SU stuff like ribbon and other embelishmens. Just a thought!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 03:49 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Default uline!

i understand where you are coming from! i am a fairly new demo too, and i want to incorporate stamping into everythiing that i do (it makes me so happy!) i love all that SU! sells and i am sure that i have spent 5 times as much as i have "made, " so i too went in search of cheaper items for things that i wanted to make a lot of, such as cards and gift bags/ boxes.

***** VISIT ULINE.COM *****

they have gable boxes that are the same size as the SU! large boxes. they also have cello bags (reallllllllllllly cheap) and gift bags. here's the catch.... they sell them in large quantities -100 gable boxes is about $50!
that may sound scary, but i went in on an order with 2 friends and packaged all of my coaster sets in them!

have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 03:55 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

I buy my envelopes from actionenvelopes.com. You can buy the thicker ones or you can buy the cheap ones. The only thing is that you buy in bulk. But, I go through envelopes so fast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Re: uline!

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarahs1225
***** VISIT ULINE.COM *****

they have gable boxes that are the same size as the SU! large boxes. they also have cello bags (reallllllllllllly cheap) and gift bags.
have fun!
Are the poly bags the same as our cello bags? Just wanted to make sure before I buy 1000 of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:00 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Shouldn't this be in the demo-only forum? I like to save $, too, when making samples, cards/projects for personal use, etc., but I don't want to encourage my customers that may be on this site to go elsewhere for their "SU" supplies... :?
Just a thought...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

the cello bags are not exactly the same as su!'s kind. i ordered the 1 mil and they are very thin, but they work (i made 60 bags with toppers...)
i know that you can request a sample of the items and they will send them out to help you decide what you'd like.

hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 PM   #29  
Embossing Fanatic

Sarah, check out central pack:

http://www.centralpack.com/Merchant2...de=002-PBF-10F
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:29 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree this should be in a demo. only forum...
That said, as a demonstrator, I feel you are shooting yourself in the foot to purchase products elsewhere.
1. Instant 20% off
2. Volume rebate
3. You never know who is going to see your creations. If you create something using Non-SU! products you can't promote those products when a potential customer pays those creations a compliment. Does this make sense?
4. Great Rewards(every sale (non-supply) counts!

I know we all want to cut corners and stretch every penny. So invest in a few really excellent sets and invest in the ink pads THEN only buy cardstock, ribbon, eyelets, brads...etc as needed. More sets doesn't make you a great demonstrator. What makes a great demonstrator is showing your customers how versatile the sets you have are. Customers can't buy unlimited amounts of supplies..they have to make their dollars count as well. Show them how.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:36 PM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks, Amy! I felt like I was invisible for a moment there... :lol:

Demo chit-chat needs to be just that....demo chit-chat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 04:45 PM   #32  
Inking Addict

I disagree that this should be a demo only topic. We all want to get the most for our dollar and as a customer (a very loyal SU customer) I know that there are some non exclusive SU items I can get elsewhere cheaper. The more money I save on those items, the more I have to spend on exclusive SU stuff like the stamps, cardstock and ink. So why should cost savings be discussed only amongst the demos and the customers left to purchase only through SU.

Just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:10 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have no problem sharing great bargains, websites, etc...I have shared in the past and have also had others share with me.

From a business standpoint (which is my point of view), I just find it odd that demos would share multiple product sources with each other in an open forum when there is a forum for demo discussions. It's not like these are big secrets (anyone with some time and a search engine can find just about anything...), but considering we do this to make a profit (and most of the contributors to this thread appear to be demos), I questioned the thread placement.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:24 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Group Leader

Hi guys,

Cardstock:

You can't beat SU's cardstock. I had a friend who worked for the major paper distributor and I went with her to her sample room which was a huge room filled with every brand of CS from every company. She was sure we could match SU's cardstock and she could get it for us. She also let me take home armloads of huge sheets of CS from the sample room. But guess what? We did not find any color matches! She was stunned because she has been in this business for years...oh we did find confetti, ivory and white but none of the 48 colors. She was sure that SU gets their CS from them and said that they must have custom colors manufactured just for them.

Ribbon:

I buy the identical ribbon in the identical spools with the identical markings and 25 yards for...get ready...$2.00 a bolt for organdy! I cannot get the greens and I cannot get the rainbow...but this ribbon is identical. Problem is it is not an online source and if you don't live near me you can't get it probably...only this one discount store has it.

I know that some of my customers want the best prices they can get on things so if they ask me I tell them the truth and they know the quality of what I sell and they love it too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 05:31 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

but none of the 48 colors. She was sure that SU gets their CS from them and said that they must have custom colors manufactured just for them.
Yes - SU has the cardstock custom............. they use more than one paper mill however - that is why sometimes there is a variation in the color............

- April
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2004, 07:08 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

wow...if i knew there would be such an uproar i wouldn't have posted. if i could move this on my own i would....sorry for the problem

stephr119@yahoo.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 02:42 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinstephy
wow...if i knew there would be such an uproar i wouldn't have posted. if i could move this on my own i would....sorry for the problem
I wouldn't be sorry at all! I would NEVER buy from a demo that was so into it for the money that they woldn't share money savings ideas with customers! I get more business from customers who come back because I'm honest about them being able to get the same product at a different store for cheaper! I'm all for your blowing the horn of SU exclusive product but if I can get the other products somewhere else for a lot cheaper and my demo is the one that tells me than she has earned a lot of respect from me and will in the end earn more money from me as I will continue to buy from them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 04:14 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

I purchased a $9 item (plus shipping) from SU. The week after I ordered it I found the EXACT same item and manufacturer at Michaels for $5 and with my 40% coupon would have cost me $3...with no shipping. Now that's a big difference to me. I would have purchased something else from SU and went and to Michaels and spent $3. It's not like SU would have lost on me. I still would have spent the same amount of money (if not more), I just would have something else to enjoy as well.

I agree with the previous post. My demo will get a lot more respect and money from me by being honest. The more I save, the more I can buy . The demo I have now openly shares cost savings advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 05:56 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Another thing to remember is that on those items that are carried in stores or online and not exclusive to Stampin' Up!, SU! has to set ONE price, whereas the price of that particular item may vary by state or region. Mono/SNAIL is a good example of this. Locally, for me, the SU! price is competitive, and with my discount I make up the difference in shipping, so I would just as soon buy from myself and add to my sales totals. Now having said that, being disorganized, I have been caught in a pinch and made the occasional purchase at the scrapbook store I haven't really looked into the whole Viking thing - I know from reading posts that many are thrilled to order these huge quantities. For me, it wouldn't be too practical as I don't do many stamp camps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 09:32 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally agree with karinlm and Cheezer. My demonstrator knows that I need to spend money in the smartest way possible and she has no problem with me buying things from Michael's or somewhere else. I never buy stamps or inks or things like that from anyone but her, but there are certain things that I can save significant money on if I buy if elsewhere. Take the crimper for example. The SU crimper is the same one sold in Michael's - SU sells it for just under $20 and Michael's sells it for just under $17 - combine that savings with a 40% off coupon and by buying it at Michael's I saved myself almost $10. That doesn't mean I'll spend $10 less with my demo, it justs leaves me $10 dollars to use toward stamps or something else that I really want from SU and wouldn't have been able to get if I spent $20 plus S&H on a crimper. It just makes sense to me and my demo totally understands - she's even given me her AC Moore and Michael's coupons if she's not going to use them. She's not just my demo, she's my friend and co-worker and she's not in the business to try to sucker me out of my money. She wants me to be able to have as many wonderful supplies (SU or otherwise) as I can so my creativity can grow. And to me that's what SU is all about.
Reply With Quote Likes