Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2017, 10:14 AM   #41  
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Received 379 Likes on 324 Posts

Love this thread! I don't have any insight to add, but I have not found a good space to craft in this house and I know that I have things to purge and organize. This was a great read!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things, or make them unimportant. - The Eleventh Doctor
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #42  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had a wake-up call Thanksgiving afternoon.

Instead of purging I bought a bigger plastic tub to put my hoard of paper into. It's black paper, white paper, lined paper, plain paper, cardstock paper, just a bunch of paper but it's something I came across for a good price here and there and figured I use it cuz it won't go out of style. I put it under a table thinking I'd slide it further under but it was heavy and I left it sticking out a bit. Anyway...

I was relaxing and making a few Christmas cards at my desk. I got up to look for something and my foot got stuck on that new tub, I wanted to pivot but I didn't!! I fall down and go boom! Hubby and son are dozing due to eating too much turkey and hear me crash. Long story short, I'm okay!

A little bruised, a lot sore, my butt and back took the brunt. I was so very lucky because it could have been way worse! While going down (felt like slow motion) I heard my brain say "Broken HIP!"> But that didn't happen, but honestly, when I feel more like cleaning/purging/etc. I will do that in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #43  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

At the end of November, I sat down to take stock of my crafty area/stash. I don't have a whole room dedicated to just crafting - just a portion of my walk-in closet and a desk and shelf in my bedroom. So, my space is somewhat limited, but I still have things spilling over and boxes worth of stuff stored in the back of the closet that I have not used.

The first big thing I figured out is that asking if something "sparks joy" or not does not work for me. For example, I do need to keep some of the sympathy stamp sets that don't spark joy (they're more somber), but I don't need to keep kitty cat stamp #1255541 even though it makes me happy to see it.

In addition, I think just removing things that cause negative feelings might not help in the long run (for me, at least). Sure, there's guilt in seeing that stamp set I got a year ago and still haven't used. But if I get rid of it, I know I'll just end up replacing it with another set and find myself in the same position a year later. If the core problem is that I'm not careful with what/how/when I buy supplies, getting rid of extra supplies doesn't help. It just leaves me with free room to fill up with more stuff I only collect.

Instead, I'm going to focus on what I want to ultimately get out of all of my supplies - and that's to use them. Instead of shopping outside, I'll be shopping my stash and keeping a record of how far that takes me in 2018. By not bringing anything new in, I'll still get my supplies under control.

If I look at a stamp set and it makes me feel guilty, I put it in my "use next" box that sits on my desk. Next time I'm making a card, I will use that set. What if it's difficult or uninspiring to use the supply? That's actually great, because it will confirm that I'm ready to let it go - while also helping me define my style or my process better. That means my future purchases will be more mindful and more careful, which is a much bigger win (in my opinion).

So, to answer your question... I'm not letting go of anything that's not a definite "yes" right now. I'm using, learning and then making that decision easy for myself later. I'll be borrowing the lovely advice of having a donation box I can easily put things into when I'm ready to part with them, though. That's a pretty smart idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hugs to everyone for the kind words. I really appreciate it. I was like "Girl, that was a long thread!" All my years over here I know I have struggled with and so many others have struggled with organizing and decluttering. I always have said it is mainly emotional for a lot of us. I know so many of us have gone through some pretty horrific things in the past few years. Truly, thank you for the kind words.

I told my husband at the beginning of the year that it feels like since we moved in our new home we have been decluttering. We don't own anything, lol. That is what is so funny about it. We have spent our time decluttering things that didn't work for our new home, decluttering toxicity out of our lives, decluttering family and friends who were abusive or unhealthy. I told him we are never decluttering again. We are upgrading. Yes, we are still getting rid of things to buy the thing we want. I like upgrading. It is more fun.

Sue, did you get to start on your room? I want to hear about it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2017, 11:27 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What a wonderful topic. I know I am a better buyer than I am a card maker. I have so much stuff that I don't know what it is.When I do want to make cards I spend so much time looking that I never get to crafting. I made myself a promise recently to cut down on my buying. When the Holiday SU catalog came out I was happy that I was able to tell myself, you don't love or I have something similar. then the SALE started and I had to remind myself, even at half price it's not worth it if you don't use it.
I am starting a holding box today! Thanks for all the good ideas.
Carol Jean
Reply With Quote Likes