Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-29-2009, 09:29 AM   #121  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My brother and his wife got me a beautiful throw for Christmas from Kirklands. It is wrapped with the most lovely twill ribbon, I think I was as excited about the twill as the throw. They got the same thing for my other brother and I asked for their twill, they thought I was nuts. So did my dh.

Pamela
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 10:57 AM   #122  
Stampin' Fool

Our dh's should not roll thier eyes at us, we are saving them money by recyling, reusing things, they should be saying "way to go honey". lol, I loved reading this, I read some new ideas I hadn't thought of. TFS everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 11:46 AM   #123  
Rubber Obsessor

I have always heard about using the cardboard from cereal boxes and I am amazed at the other treasures you all are finding to reuse but I have a question. Do you ever worry about whether or not the item is acid free? I know this doesn't matter for some of the projects mentioned but to those of you who use these items on scrapbook pages, how do you handle this question?

I would love to follow your example but worry about this issue.

Thanks,
Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #124  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nana PamView Post
I have always heard about using the cardboard from cereal boxes and I am amazed at the other treasures you all are finding to reuse but I have a question. Do you ever worry about whether or not the item is acid free? I know this doesn't matter for some of the projects mentioned but to those of you who use these items on scrapbook pages, how do you handle this question?

I would love to follow your example but worry about this issue.

Thanks,
Pam
I know that there is a spray you can get that neutralizes the bad stuff from products specifically designed for scrapbooking...can't remember what it's called but I'm sure you'd be able to find it on-line...I'm pretty sure I've seen it advertised in CK magazines.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 10:58 AM   #125  
Embossing Fanatic

Talking Tampax Pearl Box

When I read this I had to laugh because just last week my two year old son had gotten in the drawer where I keep my tampons and had emptied it and was playing with his cars in it. I was sitting there looking at the box thinking how about what a nice box it was, how sturdy it was, and how I could decorate it, so he could continue to play with it. It was really a great box - it had a window - it would be perfect decorated with some car paper and then he could continue to play with it. It was then that I knew that I was at a whole new level. Had I gone too far?? ;) LOL

Last edited by abwhitt; 02-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.. Reason: wrote something wrong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #126  
Stampin' Fool

Cool gone too far?

Nah, you haven't gone round the bend yet! Resisit the urge to pretty up the box - it will lose all of its appeal! To him, anyway. That's part of the charm of childhood, they can see possibilities for fun where we only see trash and housework!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 02:31 PM   #127  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think it was when I made this card out of toilet paper...

Inspiration- you never know where it will hit! LOL!
Check it out- TP card

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #128  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I save those clear plastic Envelopes that Cardstock comes in. and Clear Stamps and other embellishements come in.

I've used the Cardstock Clear plastic Envelopes to store some of my unmounted Rubber stamps in. (they are on those White Plastic Sheets)

I save Priotity Boxes (used ones) and cut them down and cover them. to store my Stamping Magazines in.

I also save wide mouth jars. Cool boxes for Templates.

At christmas time I save Christmas paper from the trash... I can always re-use it again next year.

The Plastic Boxes that my TAC stamps come in. I save them and use them for other things like my Copic Markers, my palette ink spots.
Tombow Markers, Cards that I am working on.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #129  
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, I have to admit I have *never* thought of using tp, lol. Now I'm going to have to try it too.

My poor dh now knows to save *anything* that could have potential...a neat glass jar, beer caps, ribbon from packaging, etc. He has gotten fairly creative, lol.

These are all great ideas! One that I haven't seen yet, or might have missed, is to take the plastic lids off of cappuccino containers, International Coffee tins, etc. and punch out shapes from them. They make great embellies. If you use the "clear" lids, they resemble the ghost shapes in Heidi Swapp's line of scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM   #130  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I save the clear hard plastic that has a smooth surface so many things are sealed in these days. I cut them into 3 x 3 or larger size squares for my stamp-a-ma-jig. That way I can keep several pre-stamped and use over again.
When I go on walks in the neighborhood, if I see a piece of scrap that looks like it would be interesting on a card--something weathered for a vintage look, I think about it. I have yet to find something good enough, but that thought sure enters my mind!
Certain jars are great to recycle! My MIL saves certain fruit jars as large as mason jars for me, and I clean those of their labels and use for ribbon storage. I love being able to recycle and find useful things to do with the recyclables!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 AM   #131  
Stampin' Fool

I love this thread! I've been wondering what to do with all of those Crystal Light containers I have been saving! Thanks for the ideas!

With enough caffeine, I could rule the world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

My friend and I were having lunch the other day. As she finished her tea she looked at the bag and said to me 'do you want me to save this for you?' (it had a cute tag on it..ideal for an inchie!!) Even my friends are giving me garbage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #133  
Insane Embellisher

I love the zippered plastic bags that sheets, pillowcases, and curtains come in. Those never go to the trash. They are great for current projects, embelishments, ribbons, fiber, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 02:57 AM   #134  
Rubber Obsessor

Most of us receive junk mail offers that include return envelopes.
Instead of throwing these out, I keep these return envelopes and use my punches over the part of the envelope flap that has the moisten and stick mucilage. That way I don't have to apply adhesive to the punched shapes, just moisten and stick onto my card! I've punched out snowflakes, little stars, and little white flowers. Or the envelope flap can be colored before using the punch.
I also cut narrow strips from the moisten and stick part of the return envelopes to use as correction strips, like White-Out strips only free! Even better for that purpose is the white area around the border of a sheet of self-stick Postage stamps or those free address labels we get from charities in the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 03:25 AM   #135  
Die Cut Diva

what a great idea on the envelope sticky part. I use the inside of the envelope - the ones that have that stripey and/or colorful inside - for punching too or as a background on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:34 AM   #136  
Stampin' Fool

There are some great ideas on here. Keep them coming ladies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:38 AM   #137  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochelle GetzlerView Post
Most of us receive junk mail offers that include return envelopes.
Instead of throwing these out, I keep these return envelopes and use my punches over the part of the envelope flap that has the moisten and stick mucilage. That way I don't have to apply adhesive to the punched shapes, just moisten and stick onto my card! I've punched out snowflakes, little stars, and little white flowers. Or the envelope flap can be colored before using the punch.
I also cut narrow strips from the moisten and stick part of the return envelopes to use as correction strips, like White-Out strips only free! Even better for that purpose is the white area around the border of a sheet of self-stick Postage stamps or those free address labels we get from charities in the mail.
Super idea! Such a great way to use up the return envelopes! TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:44 AM   #138  
Compulsive Stamper

Know that you are not alone, I think its our artistic eyes that see things in a different way then most. You should embrace it and never feel funny about it. It certainly doesn't hurt to keep more things out of the landfills. I have even seen the stores selling things made from recycled and repurposed stuff made into purses for over $100. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 AM   #139  
Matboard Maniac

When i changed my kitchen colours i saved the old cutlery drainer which has 4 compartments for my pens and the washing up bowl fits nicely into the space in my desk as a drawer. I also save boxes and jars.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #140  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

Check it out- TP card
Gina,
That card is so pretty. We have the same kind of TP and I am going to have to try that. Thanks.:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #141  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, to answer the original question, I think I didn't realize I was in over my head until this past Christmas. And it had nothing to do with the supplies I used. We moved from an apartment in to a 4 bdrm house about 2 1/2 years ago. My hubby and I each picked one of the bedrooms for our "office" (I picked the bigger one! LOL). My MIL was there to visit shortly after, when a lot of stuff was still in boxes...

She was back to visit at Christmas, and when she walked into my office she completely *flipped* out. And I keep most of my "stuff" contained and behind armoire doors and such. I've had friends over before, but they were all kind of crafty types, so they didn't flip out. They kind of just laughed at how much I have. But my MIL, who isn't really into crafts, was freaking out. I saw the room in her eyes for a split second, and it was scary! LOL

I also use "garbage" in my crafts. One of my favorites to use is Starbucks coffee cup holders. I love the corrugated side and love the designs they have on the front (makes for great punched out shapes) when they have special designs on them. I also save things like cereal boxes to protect the fronts of my cards when I mail them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:03 AM   #142  
Hardware Hotshot

now that I am a mom... I keep leakguard woman stuff on hand just in case I ever need to laugh or sneeze or coff...
lol

so when I do the quick application...
everything moms do in the bathroom is rushed right?
I just stick the weird covering fabric and paper from the adhesive stuff back in the same drawer
the darn things never seem to stay in the trashes anyway ... they are staticky and end up on the floor ...
or stuck to your pant leg...not a good look...

when I put away laundry there are all these great certainly celery swirled textured fabric-like papers in the drawer...
ding ding!
I find myself thinking "those would make a great background! I must make cards with them..."

I'm in deep!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #143  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tavias CharmsView Post
I realized I had lost it when the ribbon on the package was more exciting to me than what was inside the package! gotta love that ribbon
TeeHee - this just happened this past Christmas. Got a large box of chocolates from head office. Now I love chocolate but am trying to watch what I eat - what I really raved over was the ribbon - red stretchy kind wrapped around the box with huge red satin bow - and the best part - an acrylic red glittered snowflake!!!! Someone's getting a red snowflake card next Christmas!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 11:05 AM   #144  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAWSView Post
I love the zippered plastic bags that sheets, pillowcases, and curtains come in. Those never go to the trash. They are great for current projects, embelishments, ribbons, fiber, etc.
I use the zippered plastic bags to store my Christmas lights so that they do not get tangled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-08-2009, 12:53 PM   #145  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post

Check it out- TP card
That is such a great card and no one would ever have known.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 08:38 AM   #146  
Cardstock Collector

Default Great post!

Hi Judy, I am so glad I found you from what I remembered you telling me at Rachel's shower. Atleast, I hope this is you I hope you guys had a great trip back home and visit to NYC. I am so glad to have met you and would love to be in contact with you, my email is [email protected]
This is a great post and it is giving me a lot of ideas for more things that I should be reusing. I already keep shoe boxes and tp/papertowel rolls for kids crafts; Ellie's school is always using them. Everyone has such great ideas and I think I should get into to dechoupage now.
I hope to hear from you soon. Take care,
Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #147  
Matboard Maniac

My wonderful hubby sent me beautiful flowers for Easter. They have a gorgeous piece of lavender ribbon tied in a bow on the front of the vase. I've been eyeing it and trying to think of ways to use it in crafting. I know I'll come up with something!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes