Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your style?? Cards on the go, or special made?

As i was preparing to make some birthday cards this morning for some friends, I was thinking about the fact that I am the type of person who just makes a card or cards when I need them for a specific person, usually someone i know, then i try to design something that would suit that person. Then i was thinking about having a handy stash, for when i don't have time, but then thinking that was a little impersonal...as you can see...too much thinking and not enough card making here! :rolleyes:

What do you do? Do you make a whole pile for when you need them, or do you make them only when needed? Or a mix?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been a "card for the specific person" type for a while, but lately I'm trying to make multiples of the more generic ones, just so I can have a stash on hand.

My friend was trying to be nice and hooked me up with a local store that might want to display and sell my cards, but my friend told the owner I'd be by later in the week with samples. This sent me into a panic, because I had nothing on hand. That was December. I'm working on samples now, and hope to have enough to show my range soon.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 03:53 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

I have a rack that I keep stocked, as my Mom and my sister and other fam members like to come by and take cards. If something is getting low, I make some more. Just whatever I feel like making. For myself, I mostly make cards with the person in mind, unless I am caught without one or am too sick to work on one, then I find one on the rack too. I also make cards for my Mom to give for birthdays specifically too...and in Feb my two brothers' birthdays are a week apart, so I make two exactly the same cards that say "for my favorite son" every year for her....

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

When I have time (which is not as often as I would like), I will make some cards to have on hand. These are usually get well, sympathy or baby cards because it's nice to have those available to send right away when you hear news of someone in need of a card for one of those reasons. But even when I happen to have cards already made up, I find that I like making a card specifically for the recipient. That's what I think is so neat about a handmade card is that you can personalize it in that way.

Last edited by mcost; 01-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Both. When I make cards for ME to give to someone, I make it with that person in mind. But when I make cards for say, my sister-in-law, who wants a bunch of generic kids' birthday cards or whatever, I make a whole pile (well, like about 7 - I don't work very fast). That's really fun and freeing. It's like junk food cards (versus the "gourmet" cards made specifically for a certain person).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:52 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I usually do both. While I like to make cardscfor a specific person, my time is pretty limited. Ilike having a stash to pick from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #7  
CBC Lady Violet

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I do both. I keep a stash on hand in case I need a card for something last minute (and I sometimes have family or friends who come to me for a card). But for family and close friends, I generally tend to make a specific card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 05:16 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 56 Likes on 32 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnemoneView Post
I do both. I keep a stash on hand in case I need a card for something last minute (and I sometimes have family or friends who come to me for a card). But for family and close friends, I generally tend to make a specific card.
I do this exact same thing. I also keep lots of kids cards on hand for when I need a RAK card for the kids with cancer that are posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Every once in a while I make a special card for a specific person, but not usually. Mostly I make a special card like that for my younger grandkids, with whatever they are liking at the moment. You know that changes quickly when they are little.

I mostly make cards that are inspired by the stamps, paper, etc. that I have. I make them for different occasions, birthday, thinking of you, hello, etc.

Then when I need a card, I sort of do like I would if I was at the card store - I look at all the cards in my stash, and pick one that I think the person would like.

My style is mostly whimsical, fun and cheerful, so people expect that kind of card from me. And, like I said, that's probably what I would pick out at the store if I was buying the card.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
Every once in a while I make a special card for a specific person, but not usually. Mostly I make a special card like that for my younger grandkids, with whatever they are liking at the moment. You know that changes quickly when they are little.

I mostly make cards that are inspired by the stamps, paper, etc. that I have. I make them for different occasions, birthday, thinking of you, hello, etc.

Then when I need a card, I sort of do like I would if I was at the card store - I look at all the cards in my stash, and pick one that I think the person would like.

My style is mostly whimsical, fun and cheerful, so people expect that kind of card from me. And, like I said, that's probably what I would pick out at the store if I was buying the card.
This is what I usually do too. I make special cards for my young nieces and nephews, sister, mom, husband and daughter and SIL but almost everyone else gets one from my stash. I do different types so I can usually find one to fit the person with just a little personalization.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 07:53 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I make cards for each individual, however, I am toying with the idea of making a stockpile so I can concentrate on other things as necessary. I have worked out that often I don't get the time to create exactly what I would like for someone.

At the moment I have two birthday's next weekend that I will have to make at least one of them tomorrow to get in the post Tuesday. I had planned to sit down the first week of January but have been yucky and ill with various bugs since Christmas.

I'm seriously thinking about telling the hubs that I am sitting down and doing nothing this week except creating cards for everyone through the end of the year (and beyond i.e. through next January).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I do both. I like to use the Resources section and try a new technique and some other challenges. I try to use them to look ahead for birthdays etc (for example--the cards I make this month are for February and March) but there are times when I find I need a card right away and don't have the time to make one (as for a new baby, job promotion, sympathy card etc) and I like having some on hand and choosing from my stash. Some times I will make the cards and not put sentiments on them and then they are available for multi occasions. And it is nice having some so when you hear someone is having a bad day, ill, etc I can quickly pop one into the mail.

So, I'm a bit of both type of person. And this year I vow to do my Christmas cards ahead of time and plan on making multiple types, addressing envelopes and then as it gets close I will choose which card for which person. A lot less stress that I put on myself this way!! It is supposed to be fun, not cause me aggravation to craft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:26 PM   #13  
Crimping Master

Apart from Christmas, I only customise. Never seem to have the time or inclination to do otherwise and it is the customisation of the card to the person's interests/likes that draws me to making cards anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:50 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Both.
I do most of the challenges during the week, so I end up with a good stock of cards. Sometimes I'll make my challenge card with a specific purpose in mind; a couple of weeks back there was a challenge I knew would help me with my dad's birthday card.
As quite a few of the cards I send out are for the BRAK, I don't often know enough about the recipient to be able to personalise them much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:23 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

You know, I've built up a stash by participating in challenges but when it comes to giving a card to someone I know I find I end up making a card just for them at the last minute, even though I have several choices in my stash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 05:25 AM   #16  
Crimping Master

I make custom cards for the "special" folks in my life - something that I relate to them. But I also have a good stock on hand of cards I've collected from cards swaps at our LSS and from the Stamp Club I participate in. While some of these cards are not "my style", they can very easily work for the recipient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:01 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a "both" as well. I also sell my cards so I always have a good selection in those boxes. I love having cards that I can just grab and go with! I make specific cards for people as needs arise or I'll make something for a challenge that reminds me of someone and I'll set it aside for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Although I will make just one of a special card for DH or someone I am close to, I tend to make my cards in multiples for a few reasons. First, it takes me forever to plan out a card, with colors, stamps, embellies, etc, so I want to make the most of it when I finally put something together. Also, my husband sends my cards to each of his employees for their birthdays, Christmas, etc, and so we go though many, many cards to people I don't really know--I let him pick from my stash for those. I also sell my cards once a year at a church fundraiser, so whatever I have on hand and haven't used at the time goes toward that.
One benefit I have found to making cards in multiples is fewer leftovers. I like to use patterned papers on my cards, and so I will often make as many cards as I can get from that sheet of paper to reduce leftovers.
All of that being said, I am not a very fancy / skilled card maker. If I could produce works of art like many of you do, there is no way I'd want to reproduce multiples of those in one sitting!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:58 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I am like KoffeeKat, only at Christmas do I make more then one card of the same design.

All my cards are one offs outside of Christmas, I almost need to know the person before my creativity kicks in. Even if its for someone I dont' know and is a special request I will ask some questions to get a feel and flavour for the recipent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:07 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
I am like KoffeeKat, only at Christmas do I make more then one card of the same design.

All my cards are one offs outside of Christmas, I almost need to know the person before my creativity kicks in. Even if its for someone I dont' know and is a special request I will ask some questions to get a feel and flavour for the recipent.
Good thing my DH doesn't see these forums--if he read your response, he would want me to start individually designing birthday cards for each person he works with, and since that's 50+ people, I think I would lose my mind!!! I'm not too creative, so the individual ones I come up go to those especially near and dear to me. Fortunately, I try to go to card classes every month, so that helps build me stash as well.

One benefit to making so many cards for DH--he knows he can never bat an eyelash at my stamping spending, or it will be back to Hallmark for him I actually love looking at and buying cards, but he likes the convenience of having them ready-made at our house.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #21  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to gogogonz

I make cards one at a time, and it depends on my supply. I'm influenced by the tutorials under resources tab, and look at he RAK Wish list. I'm lucky. Women from Split Coast Stampers have encouraged me. My mentor sees to it that I don't make beginners mistakes and my RAK Wishes open up new doors of inspiration. Love this club.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do them one at a time taylored for the person I am giving to. I have often thought about keeping some on hand. Sympathy cards come to mind...sad to make those, so I should have some on hand for such occasions. Christmas cards are the only ones I make in "bulk" and even then I find myself making certain ones for certain friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

Juki, you hit the nail on the head. My creativity doesn't kick in until I have a recipient in mind.

Then almost while I'm not looking something will be dredged up from the things I've read and blended with something I've got in the cupboard and an idea gets sparked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

I normally mass produce all my cards. I keep a few for my private stash, take some to the church bookstore to sell, supply one other church with cards to sell (I donate all of them to the churches) give some to the troops, supply a few ladies I know who have been going through rough financial times with a pile every week to sell at work. These I donate to the ladies too. I love to make cards...I love to spend time in my stamp room. I feel like it is a gift given by God to make others smile or to help financially if possible.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 01:47 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

I make cards as I need them. I just can't make them ahead for some reason. I guess I need pressure to get me motivated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:16 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

Default A Mix for Me

Hi. I usually have a small stash for when I need a card and don't have time to make one. But for the most part, if I am giving the card, I make it specifically for the person receiving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 08:05 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I normally mass produce all my cards. I keep a few for my private stash, take some to the church bookstore to sell, supply one other church with cards to sell (I donate all of them to the churches) give some to the troops, supply a few ladies I know who have been going through rough financial times with a pile every week to sell at work. These I donate to the ladies too. I love to make cards...I love to spend time in my stamp room. I feel like it is a gift given by God to make others smile or to help financially if possible.
blessings.
You sound like the sweetest person ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

annie* Dont let that get out..it would ruin my wicked reputation...
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

I usually make 6 - 10 cards at a time so that I have some on hand and don't have to run out to the store when I am desperate!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

All my cards are one offs - I have a commitment to myself to shopping my stash, so because I am using a lot of scraps most of the time, no two cards are ever the same.

I usually have a supply of random cards that are generic enough to be used for many occasions (mother's day, female birthday, thinking of you, sympathy, etc.) but there are a few times when I will make a card with a specific recipient in mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2012, 03:48 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually make cards with the recipient in mind, although I do have a couple new baby cards on hand because I made a card and really liked the way it came out so made 3 duplicates. And I have a couple thank you cards on hand. I've been thinking, tho, that I need to make some cards for various occasions, but leave the inside blank till I know who it's for so I can still personalize it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I create a card I like, I make 4 of them - it's easier to "mass produce" a card you like than to think it up in the first place! One goes to my notebook of favorite cards to keep; one goes to my stash in case I need something in a hurry; one goes to my friend that I met in the internet at a similiar stamping site who swaps cards with me, and one is donated to our local Ronald McDonald house for the children to give to a special care giver or doctor/nurse who is special to them. Since it seems to take me hours to make one I like, it takes no time at all to make the other 3 up. It's fun; I love to make them up and it keeps me out of trouble! (LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:03 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What a great idea :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 360 Likes on 186 Posts

I have boxes of cards I've made for challenges, but it seems when I need one I feel like I want to make a new one specific for that person. Silly, huh? I am trying to make myself use what's in my stash a bit more. I'm also trying to design one card for nieces this year and one for nephews so I can be on time for their actual birthdays. That will probably go by the wayside, too. The one type of card I do try to make ahead are sympathy cards. It is just too hard to create when you are truly sad. It's interesting to hear what others do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

So at 11pm Friday night I was stamping for my cousin's 10th birthday - party the next afternoon but I was away on a school trip at 6am... hmmm why do I do specialty cards again?! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

I have built a stash as I want to use the stamp or cardstock!! I do make cards for individuals to but mainly I make the card becasuse i want to use a stamp! sometimes the stamp cries out for somone i know in which case that person influences the finished card!! If i have a run of birthdays i try and sit down and make some specifics, but if the pressure is on I can't always perform!! My stash helps me out when I get a block!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #37  
Watercolor Wizard

I do both. But then, I make WAYYYY more cards than I could ever send.

What sometimes happens is I'm just making away and realize, wow, this card would be perfect for my friend Liz! So I send it to Liz. I might not have started making her the card, but if the card fits, I send it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have way too many cards already made. I'm a bit embarrassed about the size of the card stash. I give cards to friends and give stacks of cards as donations, and still have a big stash. But I'll still custom make a card for the intended recipient a lot of the time too. I've got my feet firmly planted in both camps. I just love making cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I was making multiples but then I found I really wanted to make new. I donated most of my cards and now I'm starting over. This time I'm only making duplicates of the ones I love the most. I went from 10 photo boxes of cards down to 3. I still have enough to sell once in awhile and use for myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2012, 06:17 AM   #40  
Matboard Maniac

Good discussion. I'm an extremely organized, forward thinking person so I was making 4 or 5 of the same card at one time. Then, lol- I realized I didn't know who I'd sent which card to! I don't have a huge circle of friends and family, so I could easily have sent the same card out twice and not realized it. Now, what I do is make ONE card, but I do keep a stash. I get an idea, make the card, and tuck it into a box.
I saw this video once of a woman who pulls a box of greeting cards out of the closet to show her husband. Anything he can name- the more bizarre the better- she's got a card for it. I'm pretty sure I don't want to be that woman, lol!
-c
Reply With Quote Likes