Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2006, 08:19 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your retiring strategy?

I'm tempted to buy only a few of the retiring sets and wait for the rest to show up here on the Buy/Sell/Trade board. It seems that there are a lot of SU demos that want to ditch the retired stuff since they can't demo it anymore. But it needs to be discounted enough to make up for the $4.55 shipping charges.

It seems that ordering the smaller sets now and waiting for the larger sets to trade is a better option. The larger sets are more likely to be discounted $5 or more to recover the shipping charges.....??

What's a girl to do?

Melissa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 08:44 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Personally I would go for the larger sets and wait for the smaller sets.you end up paying more for the larger sets.here not so much ,but ebay yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 09:11 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

If you have a demo, you might want to ask her if she is selling the stamp sets that she can no longer demo. Mine sells hers (minus the few special ones she wants to keep). She may give you a great discount on her set. My demo does this and she charges us what she paid for it. It makes for a great deal on sets that you really need to have!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

I personally really look at the sets I think I want . . . are you going to be so desperate later that you will turn to ebay then buy it now. However some of the sets that are on the list are already avail on ebay for cheaper than retail so they won't spike in price afterwards

I am debating on Terrific Tulips . . .I have always liked it, but I think Roses In Winter would satisfy the needs I have for it so I will probably just live without it.

I have been wanting Houndstooth for a very long time and therefore I am going to get that one, I love the quality of SU backgrounds and I will definitely be using it. I would hate to turn to the bay and pay bucks like Paisley BG is going for.

I got Paisley last year when it came out on the retired list, I didn't use it much and traded it to a very happy stamper later on the BST board, so it was a win win situation.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 10:50 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally, I won't be posting any of my retired sets on the B/S/T board. I'll be holding them for about a year (like I always do) and then try my luck selling them. They usually go for a higher amount if I don't try to sell them right away. I'm getting ready to sell the ones that retired last year. However, if I see someone desperatly looking for a set and I have it, I'll do a trade just to help them out. I'm not totally money hungry!:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

I am keeping mine , I only have 2 this year but i am a newby , I cant demo them anymore but I use them alot for my personal use they are delightful doodles which is an awesome thing to use at this time of year ! And stipple rose i love this stamp use it as a toile type card for many occasions, But I want to knab Daisy before it goes i love that set and want to use it for christmas gifts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:08 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

This is only my second year with the retired list. I still have all the ones from last year's list and will probably keep these also until I get tired of them.

I understand everyone's strategy, but if I have some ladies over and they are looking for something specific and I HAD it and sold it, I would feel worse. So, I will keep them for a while and maybe sell them when I see that I haven't touched them for a while.

All this is kind of fun, isn't it? I lost 33 sets plus sab/mini/hostes sets. How about you?

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/wynona
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, I also hold on to mine for about a year after they retire. The few I do sell right away are to my friends and customers after the new catalog is released.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

It seems to me that plenty of demos will be looking to sell retired sets so they can buy new sets that can be used in demonstrations. All of that said, there are certain sets people will be less likely to part with (Toile Blossoms? Terrific Tullips?) that you might need to go ahead and purchase now. I wonder if any demos will go ahead and list their stuff on BST now?
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:45 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeahsCreations
It seems to me that plenty of demos will be looking to sell retired sets so they can buy new sets that can be used in demonstrations. All of that said, there are certain sets people will be less likely to part with (Toile Blossoms? Terrific Tullips?) that you might need to go ahead and purchase now. I wonder if any demos will go ahead and list their stuff on BST now?

To a degree, yes.

Speaking for myself only, as a demonstrator, selling them at a discount, via a BST, isn't worth the hassle, due to past experience.

At this point, considering how many boxes of retired stamps I'll now have with this year's R sets, I'll prolly have a Retired Rubber Rummage sale for my Hostesses and customers in my driveway, come July 1st or shortly thereafter. That's always been more fun and waaaaay less hassle for me! :grin:

As for Demonstrators posting this year's Retiring sets for sale, they cannot sell them at this point, per SU! policy. They can only trade them because they are still CURRENT. They CAN list them for sale after July 1st, when they are indeed actually retired with the expiration of the current IB & C.

Also, sometimes (rare, but it has happened) a stamp set on the Retiring List actually remains in the catalog, and sometimes, a set NOT on the list, ends up being in fact retired.

While SU! issues the list as a courtesy, there are no "guarantees" that the list is 100% carved in stone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 11:50 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

I forgot about them still technically being current. I guess they could trade for sets that aren't on the retired list, if they wanted...
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:05 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRR
At this point, considering how many boxes of retired stamps I'll now have with this year's R sets, I'll prolly have a Retired Rubber Rummage sale for my Hostesses and customers in my driveway, come July 1st or shortly thereafter. That's always been more fun and waaaaay less hassle for me!
Can I come??? That sounds like a lot of fun! My demo used to have tables set up where any of her customers could sell their sets during her stamp camps if they wanted to, but she hasn't done it at the last few... Not sure why. If it was cannibalizing her sales, you'd think she would have picked up on that much earlier. Maybe she just doesn't have time to coordinate all of that right now.

At any rate, my strategy is to buy the one or two sets that I know I'd regret not getting and then try my luck with the other ones that I like... Meaning on the BST or Ebay at a later date...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
Can I come??? That sounds like a lot of fun!
On a beautiful sunny day, it really is a lot of fun!!! And, if you wanna fly out here to WA state, of COURSE you can come!!! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:18 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Nice, Julie...you sorta forgot to mention the LENGTHY drive to catch the LENGTHY (albeit gorgeous) ferry ride to get to your house....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Nice, Julie...you sorta forgot to mention the LENGTHY drive to catch the LENGTHY (albeit gorgeous) ferry ride to get to your house....
Now, Betsy, some folks will go to great lengths for rubbah! ;)

(chuckle)

Dang, tho, you're right. Once in Seattle, it's another 2 hours to my driveway, IF you can drive right onto the ferry without waiting . . . :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:30 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Now, Betsy, some folks will go to great lengths for rubbah! ;)

(chuckle)

Dang, tho, you're right. Once in Seattle, it's another 2 hours to my driveway, IF you can drive right onto the ferry without waiting . . . :shock:
I'D do it......in the hopes that your rubbah is blessed......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Back to the OP, though...I hope you guys aren't counting on MY Terrific Tulips, Tender Toile, etc., lol. Don't even THINK about my Houndstooth! Them babies aren't going anywhere...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 12:58 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

While I will be letting go of many of my retiring (and past retired) sets in July, I'd much rather sell them to my customers at a Retirement Party than list them on B/S/T forums on any site. That way shipping is not required (already paid for it to be shipped once) and the whole process will be quicker and more enjoyable for everyone.

I will keep an eye out for those looking for a particular set on B/S/T and help when I can. But for the bulk of my sets, I will be getting together with other demos for a big Retirement Party.

mother of two stampers: Breana (1 and Nicolas (15)
my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:42 PM   #19  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa73
I'm tempted to buy only a few of the retiring sets and wait for the rest to show up here on the Buy/Sell/Trade board. It seems that there are a lot of SU demos that want to ditch the retired stuff since they can't demo it anymore. But it needs to be discounted enough to make up for the $4.55 shipping charges.

It seems that ordering the smaller sets now and waiting for the larger sets to trade is a better option. The larger sets are more likely to be discounted $5 or more to recover the shipping charges.....??

What's a girl to do?

Melissa
Well- I am amazed in the amount of trading already going on today! As a demo, I am planning on keeping my beloveds as well (toile blossoms, shapes and shadows, etc.) I don't plan on discounting them to cover shipping. They are worth what they are worth, and I believe maybe more down the road.
If there are sets you are wanting, you should go ahead and buy them now. This is why they give us notice on what is no longer available!;)

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

You really need to take into consideration the fact that some of these less popular sets are rare/hard to find, after retirement, cause they didn't sell well in the first place. I am a toile nut, and I searched for Pastoral Toile for MONTHS. I finally found one on ebay, but demo after demo would tell me that they never had a customer purchase that stamp! That is what I try to take into consideration when looking at the retirees I want...buy the least popular ones, and ones like Paris in the Spring, might be more readily available. JMO..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 01:58 PM   #21  
Mad Swapper

My strategy is to pace myself..........

I know that on July 1st I will have LOTS of set to spend money on (LOL!) and I am trying not to get carried away with the "Gone Forever" mentality. (Can you tell that I went nuts on one retirement and am still looking at sets wondering "What on earth was I thinking???").

The only two sets I wanted were Tags & More (I cannot believe I don't have that set yet!!!!!!!! Am I the only one? I used it at the very first workshop I attended FIVE years ago!) and Birthday Best (check out the gallery on that one! A very basic set, not expensive and lots of CUTE cards!) Neither one is on the retiring list so I am good.

I went thru the list a couple of times and there are a couple of "maybes" - Time for Fun and Simple Stripes - but I still have to think about that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 02:13 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Bah who sells their retired sets.. Not me i horde them all LOL...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 04:16 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

I sell mine to my customers for a SUBSTANTIAL discount! They draw numbers, then they go in order, each picking one set per round. This prevents hurt feelings, people arriving early and buying them all, and that sort of thing. As each gal shoots her wad, she drops out of the round. It works well for us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 04:33 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa73

What's a girl to do?

Melissa
My strategy is to make a wish list of all the SU stamp sets in the catty BEFORE the retired list comes out. My list includes MUST HAVE sets. It is LONG.

When the retired list comes out I check it against my list. All retired sets that are on my list get highlighted and any matching wheel or SS kit gets highlighted as well.

I always go with assuming that if there is a matching wheel that it has a good possibility of going. I have to narrow down my list now of things that I think I need to get before they retire. So far I have 5 sets with matching wheels and 2 sets that have matching SS kits that I have to consider.

I don't ever chance it hitting the BST board, I would rather order it new from my demo as a hostess order. However if my own demo had items on my list that she was going to ditch I would get them from her to help her out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

On a beautiful sunny day, it really is a lot of fun!!! And, if you wanna fly out here to WA state, of COURSE you can come!!! :grin:
Ok julie I live in WA Snohomish area Let me know I'll come raid your stuff. LOL

Can I help you take control of your families healthy care?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 05:17 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

I plan on buying sets that are retiring. I'm gonna get them while I can!

Check out my gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 05:36 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

If I like the set enough to decide I want it before it retires, I'll buy it. If not, then it wasn't meant to be. I don't have that middle "maybe I'll trade for it later if the price is right" ground. I get what I "need" now and then move onto the next catalog. In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a hobby demo and so I'm ordering from myself. On the other hand, being a hobby demo means that I don't really care all that much what retires since I rarely do workshops. I'm just happy that there will be all sorts of new stuff to choose from soon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 06:27 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 86 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just getting the ones that I "have to have" or are going to be harder to find. I think Just Beakause will be harder to find, and my daughter-in-law wants Fintastic. That set probably wasnt' that popular. Those are my main choices. I'm anxiously awaiting the new catty, when I can have my very own birthday "party." - Gay Howe
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 06:48 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommamea
Ok julie I live in WA Snohomish area Let me know I'll come raid your stuff. LOL
Giggle! I'll leave the light on for ya'! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2006, 06:49 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by gv-copperdog
I'm anxiously awaiting the new catty, when I can have my very own birthday "party." - Gay Howe
Now *that's* a party! ;) Hmmmm. I need to throw myself one of those! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2006, 08:36 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Julie, can I come? How long would it take from CT? lol Actually it wouldn't seem all that bad to me now! I had a car a few years ago that would just turn off if I went above 45! lol What fun that was trying to get places!! teehee

As for my rubber, I sell it to my customers and the ones that don't go to them I have at my tag sale in August.. I usually get rid of all of them! I don't discount them much. To be honest it isn't worth the shipping problems! They go just fine and quick here for a good price!
jan
Reply With Quote Likes