Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #41  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not specifically craft related, but all the glue horror stories reminds me of one from my childhood.

My dad lived with my grandpa for awhile. Their unfinished basement had a den room and a woodworking table for my grandpa to putz around in. Since the floors were concrete, my dad let us ride our bikes around down there. One of the 3 of us knocked over some wood glue, and it fell on the floor, creating a large puddle. We didn't want to get in trouble, so we took a bunch of toilet paper from the bathroom and tried to let it soak up the glue. Then we kept riding our bikes, around and around and around. My dad came downstairs and there was toilet paper glued to the floor, and gluey-papery bits tracked through the woodworking area in suspicious bike prints. Needless to say, he was not a happy camper trying to clean that up.

:P
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:39 PM   #42  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arlene,
As the needle sat in the fingernail and I looked I almost blacked out too. I had to get my husband to move the needle to the up position.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #43  
Rubber Obsessor

These are great!!

I was going to apply spray adhesive to my silhouette mat a couple weeks ago, and i hadn't used my spray adhesive in a LONG time so the tip was clogged. I was trying forever to get that darned thing unclogged and nothing was working. I took off the little red plastic spray cap and was using a hole reamer to poke down into the can (in hindsight, VERY stupid thing to do haha)...I couldnt see what was going on, so I tried looking straight down into the hole as I was trying to unclog it. I got it unclogged!! And I know it was unclogged, because it squirted right up into my face and into my eyes! Boy did that sting. I went right downstairs and started squirting eye drops into my eyes in hopes to avoid any permanent damage. ....it was fine. But I felt stupid.

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine-Class of 2012!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #44  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I knocked over a full glass (of course) of Diet Coke that went all over a stack of DP...ugh!

I have poked myself with the pokey stick thing, I have stapled myself, cut myself with sissors, the list is endless but the one that still makes me shudder was a papercut, across my eyeball :shock:, once I had calmed down and realised that the reason I could not see was because of my tears I was good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #45  
Matboard Maniac

My biggest disaster is with embossing powder. I was working with some Iridescent Ice powder, doing assembly line style work. I had stamped and put embossing powder on a bunch of cards, then went to heat set them. I had put the open container of EP in my little powder pal and turned on the heat tool. I somehow managed to bump the powder pal and went to grab it with the same hand that was holding the running heat tool, blowing full speed. Needless to say my entire stamp room looked like the inside of a snow globe in about 2 seconds. Between the fact that the EP container was turning over and the heat tool blowing it everywhere I had a beautiful shimmer over furniture, carpet, my table, and me.

I'm still convinced that sometimes when I sneeze it looks like fairy dust hitting the tissue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #46  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3View Post
I don't have any stories yet, but now I'm extremely worried about my beautiful, beautiful, solid wood, 10 place-setting, dining-room table on which I do all of my stamping. This could put a complete crimp in my entire routine. I never considered that I might actually ruin my table!! I don't think my stamping will ever be quite as relaxing now as it once was. lol
I thought of you when I saw Martha Stewart's surface protector's for crafters in Michael's yesterday. They come in 2 large sizes and you could buy how ever many you may need, one a week with their 40% off weekly coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 AM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

Thanks for starting this thread. It really made me laugh and smile. Happy crafting to everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I was dying tulle using one of my reinkers......I had gloves on and was busy mixing the tulle with the ink and my hair got in the way, so I brushed it back with my hand!!! I had cherry cobbler ink all over the side of my face, my ear, and my hair!

I tie my hair back now........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

What a fun thread to sit and read after braving the Christmas eve crowds! Some of you had me laughing out loud!
Yup, I have adhered cards shut, dumped glitter, dumped embossing powder-the worst was when I dumped it into my brand new Gumball Green ink pad. Thankfully, I have not done any permanent damage to furnishings or floors-yet!
I have one general crafting story from years ago, when my son was about 3 years old. I was enjoying sleeping in a bit on a Saturday morning. You know how even in sleep you can sense that someone is near you? Well, I woke with that feeling, and there stood my son with a big smile on his face and green, paint-filled hands. Boy, did I wake up fast! He had gotten up and pushed a chair up to the upper kitchen cabinet that was my "craft" cabinet-I made sure those supplies were up high and out of the way-He had completely emptied the cabinet and found a jumbo sized bottle of green powdered paint then proceeded to push the chair to the sink and fill it with water. I can say that, thankfully, the paint did not leave the kitchen so no green carpet, etc.!
My non-crafting story is when I painted my bedroom. I am a bit type A with home projects and like to keep things tidy. I had just poured paint into my paint tray and I wanted to clean the drippings off the edge of the can with the brush. Needless to say, I did so by tipping the can towards me and while I was wiping the lip of the can, paint was pouring out the other side-onto the carpet and my jeans!
The moral of the story is if you want new carpet, but don't think you can afford it, accidently pour paint all over it!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #50  
Kookie Creator

I have been rubber stamping for 15 years and I used to do dry embossing with stencils and a light box. Well the light box has this really small wattage bulb in it. I was stencilling on my couch and I set the light box down with the light still on and it burned a two inch circle in my upholstery. I never did that again and I just turned that cushion over and used the other side.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:15 AM   #51  
Mad Swapper

Oh gosh, I've had too many mishaps to mention . . . but I will say they usually involve glitter. You'd think I'd learn, but somehow glitter bottles get knocked over and spilled and I get very sparkly. But, my son will probably tell you the worst mishap was really a chronic problem we had when I taught classes at home. When we worked with glitter the "students" washed their hands in his bathroom. The next morning, when he dried himself off from a shower using the same towels he got glitter in all sorts of places. To this day he has a glitter phobia as a result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #52  
Mad Swapper

Received 496 Likes on 164 Posts

Another pet-related disaster:
We adopted a cat who was a bit nervous around our other two, so I kept a small bowl of water in my craft room because he spent a lot of time sleeping in a chair while I stamped away.
One afternoon I came home from work to find several "bloody" red splotches on my carpet and completely panicked, thinking something horrible had happened. Then I noticed one of my craft sponges floating in the water bowl with the water a beautiful Cherry Cobbler color. Upon closer inspection I found my cat in the chair when one red paw. I was relieved, giggling and angry all at the same time. Still have a colorful carpet and still find sponges in the oddest places...but the water bowl is LONG gone...:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #53  
Glitter Guru

Received 816 Likes on 534 Posts

I was making Christmas cards last year with a big snowman stamp. I inked it up with black ink and then stood it on its end while I moved some paper.....

of course I knocked the stamp face down and now my beautiful wooden dining room table has the perfect impression of the stamp on it.

And of course it's the end of the table that you see first when you walk into my dining room - it couldn't have happened at the far end of the table, now could it??!!

I always seat DH at the chair where you can see the imprint clearly...

Lesson learned. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #54  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh boy, Jukie, I can't even imagine how painful getting a papercut across an eye would be! Makes me shudder to think of it, too.

DH and I have been talking the past few weeks about getting a puppy again but now I think we'll wait on that until we need new carpeting. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 01:57 AM   #55  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieLPView Post
Everyone's stories about their kids and pets getting inky has me LOL.

JoBear, if you ever find yourself coming to Wisconsin please send me a PM, we should meet in person. We can make left handed cards together.
LOL - Oh yes Rosie, I am sure we would make a great team! I also make fabulous cards where the card front is glued upside down so instead of the card opening like this /\ - ie: the card fold is at the top, it opens like this \/ with the fold at the bottom. Not sure what sort of card you would call it but I am open to suggestions?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #56  
Polyshrink Goddess

JoBear, we'll make cards glued upside down and to the wrong side of the fold for April Fool's day cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 04:33 PM   #57  
Rubber Obsessor

I think my biggest DUH! moment came this year when after making 50 snowflake Christmas cards for my mom last year and hand glued some cheapo glitter to each one. Let's just say the results were less then poor, each of the snowflakes curled from the glue and there was glitter everywhere except on the snowflakes, :confused: but my mom was a good sport. I swore I'd never use glitter again.

Then in February I went to a SU demo where she showed the Heat & Stick powder along with Dazzling Diamonds - DUH!!! Yeah that would have made my life so much easier!! Or even with the Adhesive paper. Now I'm making my own glitter paper!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:12 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

I must remember to look at my misters and mini misters to see which direction I am spraying. I have made my face many, many shades of distress inks mixed with Perfect Pearls... Seems like I get a blue or green face, right before someone shows up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #59  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieLPView Post
JoBear, we'll make cards glued upside down and to the wrong side of the fold for April Fool's day cards!
ROTFLMHO :lol: I LOVE this idea! I have certainly had plenty of practice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:03 AM   #60  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Love this thread - makes me feel right at home! My worst mishap was when I knocked over an open bottle of triple thick gloss glaze and didn't notice it right away. It just oozed its way under and around everything on my craft table, including my magnetic cutting mat. Took FOREVER and half a bottle of adhesive solvent to get everything cleaned up.
I also recently ruined a Christmas card that I had stamped and embossed lots of pretty snowflakes on. I decided I could smooth out the embossing a little more by reheating it. Of course I scorched the crap out of it and had to trash it, telling myself "It's only paper, it's only paper...". When I went to remake it I discovered that I somehow misplaced the paper stack. Still haven't found it!
QFTD 258
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #61  
Cardstock Collector

OK, I have MANY stories, I've been stamping for 20 years, scrapping for 12 years, and crafting almost all of my life! The one that is really funny: I was sitting on the couch in the great room watching tv with my hubby, and to keep my hands busy, I was gluing SOMETHING, I don't even remember what. The glue was stopped up and I kept squeezing it until...the lid shot off and hit the CEILING! We have VAULTED ceilings so it shot up 12 feet! AND the glue went EVERYWHERE! Of course my neat freak hubby had to be sitting right beside me :( LOL He banned that glue from the great room! He freaked out for a long time when I would bring my tray of stuff to work on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:46 AM   #62  
Glitter Queen

Even after 15+ years of cardmaking I occasionally make one backwards. I have always saved my bacon by cutting the card front off, trimming 16th of an inch off of each side and gluing it to a different color card. Often the new card looks better that the original!
Most of my worst boo-boos come from leaving an inkpad open on my desk. I will then accidently lay a piece of paper on top of it and then move the paper to somewhere else (usually on top of a card I have just finished) Ink is sneaky stuff, and I am not being paranoid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #63  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh I have laughed reading this thread! Glitter, embossing powder, stamp pads, glue and re-inkers have all had me stomping my feet and growing aaarrrrrggggghhhh! When I make assembly line cards and stamp envelopes with a small message or image to go with the cards, it really helps to make sure the envelope is right side up. That's all I'm saying. (I sent them any way).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:10 AM   #64  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 253 Likes on 137 Posts

One of the funniest (because, in the end, it caused little damage) was when I was crafting in the great room while watching TV where I keep a few often used supplies in the drawer of the couch side table. In a previous session, I had been using a brand new bottle of glue and returned it to the drawer where it had to lay on its side to fit. Obviously the lid was not on tight as it had leaked out during storage and covered the entire bottom of the drawer adhering everything else in the drawer to the bottom, to each other and to itself in one huge mess. Luckily, it was rubber cement and while anything paper was a loss, the TV controllers, pens, pencils, scissors etc. could all be cleaned up and were fine. Also, I managed to scrape it all off the bottom of the drawer pretty easily. Some of my other disasters were not so funny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #65  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmatuschkaView Post
Mine wasn't actually stamping either - more of a "general craft mishap." It was my first time using a hot glue gun; I plugged it in and then wondered aloud how I would know when it was hot enough. My husband said "stick your finger on the tip." So I did.
Oh no!! LOLOLOL!! I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly!!
life is something that happens only when you run out of cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #66  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My worst crafting disaster was an epic fail involving a simple ceramic repair of a Santa's Village piece and some out of control super glue, then some even worse glue remover, and my kitchen counters, etc etc till I wanted to just pack up my toothbrush and move.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:39 PM   #67  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now that I've stopped laughing, my mishap seems pretty tame. I was trying some brown Smoosh Spritz for the first time and RUINED a beautiful quilt style card front! :mad: All I wanted was a bit of distressing, not hideous brown splotches and spots all over the thing. Needless to say, I tossed both the card front and that horrible spray and have been extremely cautious and careful if I want to distress anything since. To distress less is more as far as I'm concerned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
Arlene,
As the needle sat in the fingernail and I looked I almost blacked out too. I had to get my husband to move the needle to the up position.
Ouch! I can feel that now! My mother had to change my bandage for me for a few days because I got queasy just thinking about it!

My stupid trick these days is cutting the web of skin between my thumb and finger when I'm cutting a piece of paper that I'm holding with those two fingers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

This thread has been so fun to read albeit the price being high for the ladies. The only thing I have done that has "gone over the edge" has already been mentioned. But, I will add that my cat frequently sits on my art table and watches me making cards. One day I went in my art room and there laid all my pads, you know, the soft foam ones for all kinds of purposes such as embossing, or stamp cleaning, piercing, etc. with bite marks and pieces missing all around the edges of ALL of them. Not sure if I was more alarmed at the wreckage or the cat with a potential "foam" blockage! All is well, though, she's fine and I just avoid the bite marks when using the pads! Oh, and someone mentioned glitter! The bane of me yet! Trying hard not to get that stuff everywhere when making glitzy Christmas cards, when I turned around then turned back to my project my cat had meandered over to the "catch all" scratch paper and plunked down in the middle of it. I'm just not too keen on the glitter bit any more; it just makes a floaty mess. As far as the sparkly cat....well, I love my kitty with me in there, but not with that stuff all over her or in her eyes, so she is on "careful watch" these days.

Last edited by dottiejdavis; 12-26-2012 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #70  
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MegsLeigh

Mine wasn't stamping either, but it was enough to give me a heart attack.

I had left some sewing on my nightstand and laid down to take a nap. I was just about asleep when I hear the sound of chewing next to me. I looked up and thought I had seen the needle and thread disappear down my middle cat's mouth! I shrieked, grabbed the cat and drove to the closest emergency vet. The doctor looked down the cat's throat but couldn't see the needle, so I was wondering if I dreamed the entire thing. He quoted me the charge of X-rays and surgery. I had just recently been through a lengthy unemployment and didn't have the money and was about in tears, so he suggested to keep an eye on the cat. Feed him wet food and see what happens, he said. If I got wet food in him right away, it would wrap around the needle and he would be able to pass it. If the cat stopped eating or became distressed, bring him straight back.

I ran to the pet store, grabbed a bunch of wet food, and took him to my best friend's house so he wasn't around the other two cats. He was the center of attention for the next day as he got all the wet food and I had the lovely job of wearing rubber gloves and combing through the litter box to see if anything came out. Lil'Bit was perfectly fine and loved all of the attention since he didn't have to compete with the other cats. He ate as much as he wanted, and he ate a lot. At the end of the second day, I figured we had over-reacted. So, I took him home and he continued to be OK.

On the third day, I was scooping the litter box and decided to check one last time. In the middle of one of his "deposits" was the needle and thread! The thread had wrapped around the needle, and as the doctor had predicted, the food had wrapped around the needle. The cat never had any side effects and is currently asleep next to my husband. I was extremely lucky thanks to a kind, quick-thinking doctor, and I made sure never to leave a needle within the cat's reach again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #71  
Kookie Creator

OK - I can't read anymore! My eyes are tearing from laughing so hard! Thank you all for sharing your stories! lol :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 03:02 AM   #72  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 346 Likes on 134 Posts

Not 'horrendous' but certainly embarrassing.......

I was crafting in the kitchen trying to work out the right sandwich for some new die/cardstock combo to go through my Big Shot. Finally worked it out, rolled it through and realised when there was no resistance that I had missed out the die and cardstock - just as DH wandered past, looked, laughed and said 'Crafting Fail'! (I love him but sometimes he dices with death).

My friend's embarrassing mishap: she joined a group of us for a cardmaking session shortly before Christmas one year, explaining that she was way behind with making cards so was just going keep it simple, take minimum time and emboss some card fronts. She had a small amount of foiled cardstock cut up for card fronts, embossed them all assembly line style, then realised she'd been putting them through the embossing folder the wrong way and had beautiful 'Merry Christmas' messages in mirror writing (and no more cardstock).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #73  
Glitter Queen

I've probably had some of these incidents happen, but thankfully, I don't remember them - except for the time that I dropped an inkpad. I'm also a quilter, and had just finished a rather "involved" quilt top. I'd pressed it, and then hung it over the back of the chair in my craft room. The next day, I needed a really quick card - and, being in a bit of a hurry, I worked over the quilt. Needless to say, I dropped my black Versafine inkpad - right on to the quilt top.... I have a replacement block, but I still haven't switched out the blotched block - maybe as a reminder to be more careful!?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 01:52 PM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh my you ladies are making me feel better. I have a real problem with inky finger smears on finished cards. Sometimes an embellishment can cover it but not always.

My worst would have to be when I cut my finger with the end of my super sharp scissors and dripped blood all over my desk and supplies. And never leave kids alone with your craft supplies, especially ink pads and glitter, lol.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:55 PM   #75  
Compulsive Stamper

A couple of recent ones - I stamped a new stamp straight onto my finished layout and got a blurry mess. I decided to 'fix' it by putting dimensional magic over it. Then I had a yellowly lump over a blurred mess. In the end I had to stick a sticker over it. I was trying to pour some fine glitter onto some glue (with a four year old helping me!) and forgot to turn the fan off. I am still finding glitter on the shelves and desk. Even worse when we went out to see the Xmas lights after, I realised the four year old's face was covered in silver glitter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:17 AM   #76  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I keep a drinking glass of water or juice in my craft space. Usually no lid, because it's kept behind me, on a nice coaster, and all to itself. No spills for years. One night though, I had a glass of red wine. It had to be red wine too. Sure enough, I hit the top of the glass. Caught it in mid air, so the glass didn't break. Yeah the wine went everywhere. What an idiot! Some nice card stock had red wine droplets and splashes. I guess I could have kept them for artistic design, but I didn't think of that!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:31 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 253 Likes on 137 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I keep a drinking glass of water or juice in my craft space. Usually no lid, because it's kept behind me, on a nice coaster, and all to itself. No spills for years. One night though, I had a glass of red wine. It had to be red wine too. Sure enough, I hit the top of the glass. Caught it in mid air, so the glass didn't break. Yeah the wine went everywhere. What an idiot! Some nice card stock had red wine droplets and splashes. I guess I could have kept them for artistic design , but I didn't think of that!
Or you could have used it for wine-themed cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:01 PM   #78  
Compulsive Stamper

does breaking my arm following a crop count? All day crop which ended at midnight and I took WAY too much stuff. As I was loading my car I managed to trip over a small case and fell - 2 fractures to my upper arm. Ouch!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 10:56 PM   #79  
Polyshrink Goddess

I adore rubber cement when making altered composition books but when I was making some for my nieces this Christmas a new bottle tipped over and the lid was not on tight. It dripped off my worksurface and into the vertical file box that holds all my neutral CS. The only saving grace is that the paper is packed in so tight and many packages were still in the plastic so I was able to salvage the majority of the papers. I lost nearly an entire bottle of rubber cement however.

My worst mistakes are when I neglect that pearl of wisdom that tell us to measure twice and cut once. Worse are the times when I make multiple mistakes and slowly watch the chosen DP disappear!

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:45 AM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucybusterView Post
does breaking my arm following a crop count? All day crop which ended at midnight and I took WAY too much stuff. As I was loading my car I managed to trip over a small case and fell - 2 fractures to my upper arm. Ouch!
Ouch!

Who knew papercrafting was so dangerous!
Reply With Quote Likes