Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-31-2019, 10:23 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What's the worst / funniest / craziest thing, you've experienced in your card room?

I decided to get in my card room and start putting things away I don't use, and just generally straightening up the room. It's a fairly small room, but it's amazing how much stuff you can accumulate after a while!

It does look much better now, but I still want to continue with getting it a little more organized.

This morning, in going through some of my items I just don't use, I found a Tim Holtz Distress Paint (Antique Linen) paint dabber. I knew it was probably all dried up, but decided to take the top off and gently squeeze the top to see if I could get anything to come out of the spongy end. Nothing happened. I shook the bottle and continued to see if I could get it flowing again on some paper. Nothing. Then I had the bright (sarcasm intended) idea to just squeeze the bottle really hard, thinking that might help get it to start flowing. It flowed. Not only did it flow, it exploded! Paint went all over the bottom portion of my face, my neck, my shirt, my jeans, on the antique table I use, my "Cardspiration" notebook and the wall. The moment it happened, I was so shocked, I did not know what to do, and I literally stood there. I just stood there. LOL Then, my brain kicked in and I got to work, pulling my top off, getting that in the washer, wiping my face (and every other part of me that got hit) and then tending to the rest of the splatter. It took a while, but everything ended up fine. The paint came off me with a few wipes and came out of my shirt, just fine. The dabber was immediately put in file 13. :-)

One more mention: I haven't been making cards very long - about 4 years, so I guess all considered, these two incidents aren't that bad. But a few months ago, I was making a card and somehow, someway, I did not see an extra die that was left in my sandwich. So, when I ran my die through my Cuttlebug (I love that cute thing), it made a weird, extra loud popping noise! I then found out what happened. And unfortunately, it "cracked" one of my little heart dies (that I did not see in the sandwich). But, that's ok. It didn't ruin it. Well, it won't cut right, but it doesn't matter, because that was a die that had a lot of hearts on it, so I can see get plenty of use from that die.

I just wanted to share my story and to see if anyone else has any hilarious, not so hilarious, funny stories to share.

And the reason I use this large font is because, I love it, and for me, it's just easier to read. LOL

Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 11:53 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a similar experience.. I had been doing acrylic painting and had some white paint in a large bottle that was fairly new. It had a pump dispenser. I pushed it down- expecting the paint to flow downward into a cup. But, Nooooo, it had become clogged and shot out UPWARDS and sprayed way over to the opposite green wall from top to bottom. I was so stunned! Then I laughed. Then I cleaned it up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 12:06 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like you had lots of clean up to do, don't you just hate when you add more work to what you had planned! Glad you were able to clean it up!

I too have ruined a die that way a few years ago now I always double check before using my big shot.

My recent mishaps - just this past week. Nothing as messy but definitely created extra work for me. I had just finished my card and was getting ready to clean up after myself when I could not for the life of me find one of my tonic stamp platform's magnets. Made me furious, I looked everwhere for it, even searched through my trash can in my stamp room and got the kids involved searching! Finally found it on the back of my Hero Arts stamp kit, it attached itself to the dies on the backside of the kit.

Then yesterday as I was done with my card front ready to mount to a card base, I was so focused on taping it down straight that the card front ended up being upside down. I had used scor-tape, so could not remove it without ruining it.

Oh, and at the beginning of January I was re-organizing some drawers when I hit my box of metal hardware onto a corner and it went flying down the stairs, all pieces of course scattered around everywhere on the steps and then down in the living room.

Isn't it funny how these things always seem to happen when we're already busy cleaning up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 12:15 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Sleepymom and Ellibelle, thanks for the laughs! Yes, it is definitely frustrating, but we all know that laughter is the best medicine!

Ellibelle, I had had issues with "losing" stuff! In my case, it was photopolymer stamps and since they're pretty clear, it was almost impossible to see them, when they hit the floor. I actually reordered a couple of stamp sets (yes, I paid for another stamp set, to replace the one stamp I couldn't find) when I lost just one stamp. I decided to keep a tally, to help myself LEARN not to lose stamps, since I have order more, to replace them. I'm very funny about that. My rule is, I must have the complete set! So far, I have only spent $57.00 to replace a few stamps. But I have $57.00 written down in my card room, where I see it, so that doesn't keep happening.

But the best rule is: Never cry over spilled paint. I mean, stamps. I mean milk!!!! :-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Having squeezed things explode must be a common occurrence because that is the silliest and messiest thing that ever happened in my craft space, too! I was attempting to reink an ink pad and nothing was coming out of the bottle, but I knew it was 3/4 full (I could see the ink in the bottle). I even thought to myself, "Be careful....it might explode...." and yet I gave it one last squeeze. The tip flew off and Taken With Teal ink came out. I was incredibly fortunate, though, in that ALL that ink sprayed out onto my scratch paper only. I don't know how it stayed contained to a 16"x12" piece of scratch paper but it did! It didn't even get on my card that was sitting on the scratch paper! I decided that God must have wanted me to send that very card to a very specific person with a very specific message!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

cnstelle, that is an amazing story! You were very lucky. And yes, I too think God had a hand in that!

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

One of my cats loved to be in my craft room with me. She would jump on my table and then on top of a tall file cabinet where she liked to sit. As she got older she wasn't as agile and in her younger years. One day I had a glass of orange juice on my table and when she jumped up onto the cabinet she missed and fell into my glass of orange juice. She was one mad cat. I cleaned up orange juice for years. (I seemed.) My cat didn't go into my room for a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 06:29 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Kate, you sound like a wonderful cat mama! Very patient. I bet she was a mad cat. LOL

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2019, 08:40 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

After halloween I was cleaning my table and putting all stamps back in their cases. I found that I misplaced "lost" a photopolymer SU small spider from the bit me set. Looked and looked for a long time.

Eventually I went back to the basement to make Thanksgiving cards. Dropped something on the floor and went to pick it up. Well there was the lost spider right on the floor! I was so happy I found it! Then I dropped something else on the floor, bent over to pick it up and saw another spider. I didn't think I lost two spider stamps did I??

Go to pick up the spider stamp and in my hand is a REAL DEAD SPIDER. Seriously !!!!

EEEKKKK
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2019, 04:55 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Lesliespringer, I would have died, right there. I'd rather it have been a snake! Spiders terrify me. I've had 2 pet snakes but never a pet spider. A good spider, is a dead spider, if it's in the house. Outside, I leave them alone!

Glad you found your spider stamp.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamborghini GalView Post
Lesliespringer, I would have died, right there. I'd rather it have been a snake! Spiders terrify me. I've had 2 pet snakes but never a pet spider. A good spider, is a dead spider, if it's in the house. Outside, I leave them alone!

Glad you found your spider stamp.

Beth

Oh if you only knew. My hubby is so into snakes, got my daughter into snakes at a very young age.

Currently we have 3 "pet" snakes. within the past year we gave 3 away which two of them actually mated and laid 7 eggs and all hatched.

So at one time we had at least 13 snakes in our house, in reptile glass tanks of course.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2019, 05:57 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like spiders and protect them in my garden but picking one up is another thing. Goes double for snakes. Ewww. My husband gets called to trap the spiders in the bathtub and take them outside. It’s why I got married. These are great stories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:09 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say my story is a worst/best story. I was crawling on the floor of my craft room retrieving something that fell under my table which was against a window. I discovered mold! It had grown on the bottom of the wall and across the legs of my table and two shelving units. I was oblivious to the smell because I had no clue.

The best part was being able to empty the room, so dh could take it apart to the framing and rebuild it. So I got a new, fresh painted room, nice floors and new crafty storage furniture. Took awhile, but worth the wait!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryalenaView Post
I like spiders and protect them in my garden but picking one up is another thing. Goes double for snakes. Ewww. My husband gets called to trap the spiders in the bathtub and take them outside. It’s why I got married. These are great stories.

We have a spider catching kit - a huge, clear plastic glass and a thin piece of chipboard. Plop glass over spider, slide cardboard under glass, take outside. They do so much good, but I’d prefer they do it outside.

There is one that has lived in our *exterior* entryway for a long time and who darts into a tiny space if she senses anyone, so no one sees her but me. We have an understanding; she catches bugs I let her stay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I understand we stampers work in an "organized mess". One day I was working with my friend at my dining table on a few projects using a brand new Stampin' Up! Framelits set. We had great fun and when it was time for my friend to leave, she decided to help me clean up a bit. Well, putting the Framelits away, one piece was missing. We looked everywhere for it. We cleared the table twice, swept the rug , everything! Finally my friend left feeling sick at heart, I told her not to worry, it was bound to be here somewhere. Well, lo and behold, before she got to the fifth traffic light, I found it stuck to the back of my iPad. That was the worst (sick feeling), funniest (we were going bonkers), craziest (we didn't have that "duh" moment sooner) experience in the "craft room"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 05:16 PM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Ellibelle, when you tape something down the wrong way, try your heat gun. I have also taped the front down the wrong way (and upsidedown) and once when I needed the card right away, I tried heating it to lift the adhesive, usually works and I am careful lifting it off. I cool it retape and put it back on the base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2019, 07:08 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son who never touches my craft supplies unless we are playing together decided to eat one of my polymer stamps. He never puts anything in his mouth. I caught him after the first chew. He didn't swallow anything but I had to throw it away because use could clearly see the teeth marks in a nice semi circle.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 05:41 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Ellibelle;21776734]. Then yesterday as I was done with my card front ready to mount to a card base, I was so focused on taping it down straight that the card front ended up being upside down. I had used scor-tape, so could not remove it without ruining it.

Ellibelle, have you ever tried Un-Du? It works wonders to save cards when whatever kind of tape you use is placed where it shouldn't be. It does not harm paper, but loosens the "stick factor" of the tape so the paper can be lifted off and reused once the Un-Du dries. Often you don't even have to replace or add to the tape when you move and re-stick the cardstock to its correct spot. It can be found in most local stamping stores, JoAnn's, Michaels, on line, or in hardware stores. It's been a life--oops--card saver for me and the people who participate in my card classes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 07:19 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

I have taped the card front to the wrong side also and if I can't undo it, I cut it off and add it to a new base card. Just one more layer!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,391 Likes on 521 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
We have a spider catching kit - a huge, clear plastic glass and a thin piece of chipboard. Plop glass over spider, slide cardboard under glass, take outside. They do so much good, but I’d prefer they do it outside.

There is one that has lived in our *exterior* entryway for a long time and who darts into a tiny space if she senses anyone, so no one sees her but me. We have an understanding; she catches bugs I let her stay.

I love this! I won't kill spiders in my home, either. I take them outside if they let me catch them. My three daughters are horrified I do this, but I bet when they are older, they will do the same thing!

One time I was carrying a spider upstairs to release outside and I tripped and squashed him. I felt terrible!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Ugh, I'll take a snake over a spider any day...Last week I was going through some baskets of "stuff" in my craft room. I found a tiny flower die. I have no idea what set it goes to and I never missed it. OOps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 11:57 AM   #22  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are all really great and entertaining stories, Thanks for the laughs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
After halloween I was cleaning my table and putting all stamps back in their cases. I found that I misplaced "lost" a photopolymer SU small spider from the bit me set. Looked and looked for a long time.

Eventually I went back to the basement to make Thanksgiving cards. Dropped something on the floor and went to pick it up. Well there was the lost spider right on the floor! I was so happy I found it! Then I dropped something else on the floor, bent over to pick it up and saw another spider. I didn't think I lost two spider stamps did I??

Go to pick up the spider stamp and in my hand is a REAL DEAD SPIDER. Seriously !!!!

EEEKKKK
I bet the real spider took the spider stamp and then tried to mate with it - only to get polymar poisoning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2019, 09:48 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julie GerbitzView Post
I bet the real spider took the spider stamp and then tried to mate with it - only to get polymar poisoning.
OMG. You are too funny. Thanks for the laugh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2019, 09:13 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve knocked over my OJ or iced tea more times than I can recall. I now have a spot on a nearby shelf for my drink complete with coaster. My kid once dumped half a jar of glitter all over my desk, chair and the carpeted floor. I was able to reclaim a small amount but what a mess!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default I can make myself crazy

After my last move and after setting up my studio: putting supplies away in designated areas, condensing and purging old product that had not been used in years; when I finally settled in to get busy I could not find my Brushos and ColorBurst collections. I knew I did not get rid of them, they were grouped together and stored in a designated area.:confused: I searched high and low, I tore the room up looking for them. I told myself, let it go and accept the fact that I may have purged them when I was in that crazy stage of packing to move. But I couldn't, I was making myself crazy and wasted a most of my Saturday tearing up the room.:( I did not want to re-invest in another set of either one.:mad: I had to take a time out and pray.

That evening while in bed I had to get up and I went back in the room. I went through the storage drawers again. I opened the bottom drawer and actually removed everything from the drawer, instead of lifting and peeking under things, and there they were tuck in back corner under my embossing tray. Hallellujha! Peace and calm returned again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

I misplaced a magnet from my Tim Holtz platform. Found it stuck on my arm to the magnetic bracelet of my Fitbit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
You know I love RED

Received 746 Likes on 357 Posts

I've lost stamps in my messy room, but the worst was when I lost the "E" to my favorite lower case alphabet dies. I have tried every combination to make an "E" but all for naught. And don't tell me to get another set! It was hard enough to justify what this one cost!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:10 AM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Well, there was that tarantula that crawled behind a picture frame . . . . Bug bomb to the rescue.

The biggest disaster was when I couldn't find my cat to put her and the dog into the laundry room for the night. I figured she had already gone outside through the pet door. The next morning I finally found her when I heard her meowing behind the hobby room closet door. I guess she had a pretty comfortable night of it, sleeping in a soft basket filled with about two dozen packages and sheets of printed tissue paper for collage work. However, by the next morning she apparently gave up on me and relieved herself in the basket. Phew! Basket and all had to go straight to the garbage can, and I didn't even want to take a chance on the tissue sealed in plastic. It took months before the odor left that closet though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:20 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I lost my eye-glasses. Could not find them, searched everywhere. Had to go to a college 35th reunion and drive from Illinois to Pennsylvania. I had been wearing my sunglasses everywhere as a stopgap, I knew I had them someplace! Finally gave up and purchased a new pair. About 5 or 6 years (yes, YEARS) later, I finally found them. Tucked in to a basket of ribbons that I had put on a shelf when I tidied up. By that time the prescription (and style) were outdated, so they were tossed. Maybe I should have bronzed them or framed them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 07:37 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Well, there was that tarantula that crawled behind a picture frame . . . . Bug bomb to the rescue.

The biggest disaster was when I couldn't find my cat to put her and the dog into the laundry room for the night. I figured she had already gone outside through the pet door. The next morning I finally found her when I heard her meowing behind the hobby room closet door. I guess she had a pretty comfortable night of it, sleeping in a soft basket filled with about two dozen packages and sheets of printed tissue paper for collage work. However, by the next morning she apparently gave up on me and relieved herself in the basket. Phew! Basket and all had to go straight to the garbage can, and I didn't even want to take a chance on the tissue sealed in plastic. It took months before the odor left that closet though.
P U. Some enzyme sprays formulated for animal stuff work well on smells. The enzymes “eat” the bacteria that causes the smell. Our animals would have formed a gang and plotted to hurt us if we tried to lock them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 10:40 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

In our last house, the mudroom also served as office, laundry, and craft rooms. I tried to keep all supplies either up high, or locked in a huge, metal, vintage office desk. However, sometimes, if you didn't get the drawers closed just so, one wouldn't lock.

During this time period, child #4, who was about a year old, had an unnatural fetish with butter. She would troll the edge of the counter, and if someone left it where she could reach it, she would rub it in her hair.

One day, I thought she was in the living room watching a movie. I was shocked when I turned around from switching a load of clothes to find her hiding under the desk, rubbing sequins for shaker cards into her freshly buttered hair. She had sequins all over the floor and the chair. Her hair positively shimmered.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

These stories are so funny! I have enjoyed reading each and every one of them! I think Split Coast Stampers really needs to consider adding a LOL button, or something, because many of these stories were absolutely hilarious! Thanks for sharing them. :-)

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes