Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-03-2005, 06:42 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hummmm....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 06:44 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TNstampgirl
has anyone used the "ask this seller a question" feature on e-bay? maybe you could ask her a question about what her deal is.

even better: all you splitcoasters could flood her with "ask this seller a question" feature, and totally overwhelm her with e-mail....

is that evil? or just really funny?
I did send a question, just to see if she would reply with an email address I could forward to SU! She hasn't replied yet, but I just did it maybe 25 minutes ago!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 06:47 PM   #43  
Insane Embellisher

has anyone used the "ask this seller a question" feature on e-bay? maybe you could ask her what's up with the whole bad business practice thing

or better yet....all splitcoasters could flood her in box with "ask this seller a question" e-mails. man that would be annoying.

is this evil or just really really funny?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 08:27 PM   #44  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampingkaren
Alisa, are you ordering all the way from Australia? I didn't know you could do that. Shipping must be outrageous! But thank you for not buying off Ebay!

I should never, ever look on Ebay, it just makes me mad.

Well this is the first time I'm doing it. My Demo is sending me a catalogue, we'll order, she will get it sent to her and will then send it on to us. We'll pay for the postage of course. Hopefully it will be good.

www.alisatilsner.com - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 09:01 PM   #45  
Insane Embellisher

Before I knew better!!

I hate to admit this, but I bought my first 7-8 stamp sets on ebay - before I knew much about SU.

I paid more than the catalogue price for 5 of the sets I bought plus high shipping costs. I received emails in my ebay account from 2 different SU demos letting me know about the prices and volunteered to be my demo and get me a catalogue - one even volunteered to mail it to me for free. One sent me the link to the SU website and that is when I found a demo in my town and I have not bought on ebay since (plus I signed up as a demo myself!).

Maybe this is a way to stop her - let her customers know that they have been bidding too high - plus they don't have the advantage of having a demo! Let them know that they have better options. I'm glad there were 2 great demos out there that let me know!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 10:08 PM   #46  
Polyshrink Goddess

Question. I was just looking at Hidelee's feedback and several of the item numbers are listed as "private", but the bidder's ID is there. Why would an item number be private?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 11:37 PM   #47  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

I thought eBay had rules about writing to bidders, seems like I remember on one thread, someone mentioned that they'll boot you if they find out. Of course if you never use eBay, then you might not care. LOL

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 01:24 AM   #48  
Pearl-ExPert

She's irritating!

I remember when this came up last time - a few months ago - and I went and looked at her stuff, so that I could be personally appalled, and she had this nasty little note on her auctions about how the SU! people needed to stop harassing her and how she was reporting them to Ebay.

I wish they could shut her down! I'm not a demo, but I understand their plight!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 01:51 AM   #49  
Cardstock Collector

Default Three things to think about

First - We know for a fact she is not a demo? If she's got her arrangements made for delivery in another state or town, and receiving monies under a different way, than why couldn't she find a way to out wit SU and deguise herself? We know she is receiving stamps somehow. Then shouldn't SU figure a way to eliminate her sourse?
Sometimes it doesn't work by going right for the bullseye, you have to work your way there.
Second - If she is allowed to manipulate the regulations set by companys, by means of supporting her, we're saying it's okay and before too long others too begin to manipulate regulations.
You're stuck in a long line of traffic or in a jam, buzzing by you is a motorcycle because the driver can manuveur through small spaces. Do you think it's fair being that he doesn't have to wait like everyone else?
Thirdly - Bottom line; Whatever regulations were set by SU must be followed. Whatever regulations were set by E, must also be followed. If records state for example; under no conditions' or something to that effect.

What ususally happens when you do something you know is wrong but hope to get away with, and do?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 03:26 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by myoos913
Stampin' Up said they would look into it, but they didn't seem to really care.
Reminds me of kindergarten when a kid was grounded from the in-room play area. Next day he was playing there, so I told the teacher. She mumbled something and waved me off.

Right from the beginning we have a keen sense of justice and want the authorities to enforce the rules they make. But Stampin' Up is a private company, and they can wave it off if they want. If it was truly damaging to them financially, they'd take care of it and fast.

Now, for my conspiracy theory ...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 04:58 AM   #51  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I don't understand why people would buy new stuff off of the big E, if you watch what people are bidding up to, they would be better off to order from a SU demonstrator almost 100% of the time!"

I agree about the price issue, but aren't bidders people that live outside of the US or Canada? It's illegal for a demo to send something straight to a customer that lives in a non-SU area, so maybe that's why the consumers go bid on E-Bay.

Just a thought...

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 05:06 AM   #52  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: Panama (the country), used to be Florida, but I've got an APO military address so like USA shipping

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZstampindream This person has just as much stuff if not more than the other seller. And all her stuff seems to be "in hand and ready to ship". I think this person has EVERY set listed. Not that I haven't minded looking at them, but still, its not fair.

Mom to Luke (11), Elizabeth (almost 10) and Andrew (7)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 05:17 AM   #53  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
I thought eBay had rules about writing to bidders, seems like I remember on one thread, someone mentioned that they'll boot you if they find out. Of course if you never use eBay, then you might not care. LOL
You cannot email a bidder and offer to sell an item. That's against ebay's policy because they want you to first list that item so they can get a cut of the final price, listing price, etc.

You *CAN* however, email bidders to let them know they are paying too much for sets, direct them to the SU! site, and give them your email to contact you about buying directly from a demo in the future (as long as you are not listing specific items at specific prices in the email)

IN OTHER NEWS...

I sent a question to this hideelee person asking her what the retail price of the monkey business set was. She replied to me ([email protected] if anyone is interested ;)) saying "it's either $22.95 or $24.95, I don't know for sure because I don't have a catalog yet". To which I replied asking her how she got ahold of the set if she didn't have a catalog?

She never replied... go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 05:41 AM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
You cannot email a bidder and offer to sell an item. That's against ebay's policy because they want you to first list that item so they can get a cut of the final price, listing price, etc.

You *CAN* however, email bidders to let them know they are paying too much for sets, direct them to the SU! site, and give them your email to contact you about buying directly from a demo in the future (as long as you are not listing specific items at specific prices in the email)
Sarah, you cannot contact bidders in this way, either. EBay considers that to be transaction interference, and will suspend you for it if you have an eBay account.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 06:01 AM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Sarah, you cannot contact bidders in this way, either. EBay considers that to be transaction interference, and will suspend you for it if you have an eBay account.
Ok, perhaps I should have been more clear. If this is something you really wanted to do, I would suggest emailing the bidder to let her know the original retail price of the set (you are not offering to sell it to her, simply offering information). You could also offer to give her fair market value INFORMATION for any other sets she is interested in (again, not selling, just fyi stuff). If you build a rapport with the person you may find yourself a customer.

There is no question that you have to be careful of how you approach people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 06:06 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

I think its wrong too. BUT.....I don't think you should be harrassing the woman about it. That's like asking a felon to please play nicer the next time. Obviously, it won't do any good. Instead, we should be harrassing SU to enforce their own rules. Rules are rules. They made them. They should enforce them. And I'm very disappointed that they don't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 07:23 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

As much as I share the disgust for these ebay auctions, please please PLEASE remember Splitcoaststampers' TOS, which specifically says NOT to name names...however much I'd like to see these people shut out of ebay forevermore, it's not worth it if it means the Noltas are left vulnerable to legal action.

Again, all I'm sayin' is (1) I agree with you, but (2) STOP using the names of these folks. Posting a link is sufficient and then folks can figure out names for themselves...

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 07:55 AM   #58  
Glitter Guru

If you look closely at the images she has uploaded, they are not scans of the mini but rather the pics you get when you look at the images on the Demo website! That is why there is the grey Stampin' Up! copyright printing across each page! Obviously, she is able to access the demo website and is cutting and pasting the images from there!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 AM   #59  
Cardstock Collector

Default Ebay seller turned in to SU !

I just turned this lady in this morning for selling a set in the summer mini on ebay. Demonstrator Support took down the item # and said they would forward to the Compliance Dept. But after reading all these posts, I doubt also if anything comes from it ! I sent her an email inquiring about how she could sell this set if it wasn't even available to demo's until much later, but I doubt if I'll ever hear any response from her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 08:22 AM   #60  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm new here. Not a demonstrator, just a customer. I know that SU has COPYRIGHT rules about selling items made using SU stamps. And I know that the rules changed from "no sales at all" (many years ago) to "include the 'SU logo' when you sell" your cards.
What I know nothing about are the rules for selling stamps. Does anyone know the link for reading those rules. I had read two different points of view on an ebay forum (also many years ago). One person said that posting any picture of any SU item was not allowed. Another person said that it is okay to post pictures as long as you give credit to SU for creating the original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 08:44 AM   #61  
Mad Swapper

Here's an idea....Don't the Demos who go to convention and other events get free preview sets? Maybe she is a demos who gathers these from others who don't want them, or buys them from those people cheap and resells, and that's how she gets them. Just a thought. I'm not a demo either so I was wondering if this is possible.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 12:32 PM   #62  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think she's higher up than a demo. Tons of merchandise, some of it hard to lay your hands on, SU doesn't seem to care about closing her down... Like I said earlier, my conspiracy theory. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2005, 12:39 PM   #63  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by meowsikstamp
I believe that with scanning the images this is copyright infringement and they could press charges against her! That's my thoughts on this :rolleyes:
That is exactly the same thought I was having. We had to participate in a "copyright" workshop when I was teaching and they very well could take legal action about that, if nothing else. And the site that allows her to break copyright could also be held accountable!

Of course why would SU do that- I mean they are still making money- it's not the company that suffers it is the honest demonstrators that are working for SU!

And I have had similar conspiracy theories too!

Last edited by stampin_4_sanity; 05-04-2005 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 05:51 AM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sairabee
Ok, perhaps I should have been more clear. If this is something you really wanted to do, I would suggest emailing the bidder to let her know the original retail price of the set (you are not offering to sell it to her, simply offering information). You could also offer to give her fair market value INFORMATION for any other sets she is interested in (again, not selling, just fyi stuff). If you build a rapport with the person you may find yourself a customer.

There is no question that you have to be careful of how you approach people.
Sorry, guess I wasn't totally clear, either. Even "offering information" to a bidder in an open transaction (meaning payment and merchandise have not yet been exchanged) is a no-no, and might even be considered soliciting a sale outside of eBay if you are a demo and they really want to get picky. This is what eBay has to say (I have bolded the info relevant to this discussion):

Quote:

eBay Policy

* Members are not allowed to interfere with another member's transaction.
* Members may not contact a seller and offer to purchase a listed item outside of eBay.
* Members are not permitted to email buyers in an open or completed transaction to warn them away from a seller or item. If you have a problem with a transaction, please use the feedback forum and review our Fraud Protection Program.

Notes:

* eBay will consider the circumstances of an alleged policy violation and the user's trading record before taking action.
* Disciplinary action may result in a formal warning, temporary suspension, or indefinite suspension.
* If a complaint can't be proven with certainty, we may take no action.
* Due to privacy issues, it's not possible for eBay to discuss the results of an investigation.
The entire policy page on this subject can be found here.

I understand how upset everyone gets about the abuses we see on eBay. I hate it, too! However, we cannot break eBay's rules trying to correct the situation. By violating their policies (especially if we knowingly do it), we become just as bad as the sellers we want to see shut down. As my mom used to tell me when I was a kid, two wrongs don't make a right. I'm not trying to pick on you at all, I just don't want to see anyone get themselves in hot water attempting to help get rid of dishonest eBay sellers!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 AM   #65  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just checked out her ebay store to see what all the fuss was about, and guess what? there's no more pictures. Maybe someone got off their bums and actually did something about it. It's a start anyway right?
My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have been watching Ebay for a particular retired set and NITRO923 (mentioned earlier in this thread) has been a busy bidder on most of the auctions I have looked at. I find that interesting as well. Hopefully these people will be stopped right away. It's amazing what lengths some people will go to so they can make a buck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 11:34 AM   #67  

Laurie,

A few weeks ago, there was a thread about two eBayers and one was bidding up anyone who bid on the items (stamps) - our girls on here noticed it and sent a note to eBay and apparently after they checked out the history, they shut them both down. (Or maybe they were the same person, who knows.) They noticed that if the "same bidder" ended up with the item, the auction was pulled and relisted.

If this seems to be what is going on, I would recommend you send a note to eBay, and other eBay users do the same. Apparently this is called shilling (?) and is not allowed if that is what they are doing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 12:22 PM   #68  
Glitter Guru

Default ebay

I think what's happening is she isn't an Demo at all.But however she is working alongside a demo who is forwarding the photos to her in which she is downloading them for the demo.and then selling them.this probably gets her free items from her demo.
So where she's not a demo she is in the clear.They really can't do anything about it.But someone needs to find out the connection between the 2 which might not be that hard to do.Maybe some one should actually try to buy something from her ,then make sure that they have to pay for it by cash or check get this persons' address.Then once they have the address.Locate a demo in her area and maybe nab her.that might be the only way to do this.find out how many demos are in her area close to her.then narrow it down.See what the sales are from all the demos in her area.who know it might be worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 12:40 PM   #69  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Stampin Wrose. I will check into it again next time I go on Ebay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 02:49 PM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GarnetJ
I'm new here. Not a demonstrator, just a customer. I know that SU has COPYRIGHT rules about selling items made using SU stamps. And I know that the rules changed from "no sales at all" (many years ago) to "include the 'SU logo' when you sell" your cards.
What I know nothing about are the rules for selling stamps. Does anyone know the link for reading those rules. I had read two different points of view on an ebay forum (also many years ago). One person said that posting any picture of any SU item was not allowed. Another person said that it is okay to post pictures as long as you give credit to SU for creating the original.
Here is the SU! Me Page On Ebay.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~
Mother to 6 and Grandmother to Katie- 7/31/09 & Kyle-12/6/12

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 08:14 PM   #71  
Stazon Splitcoast

She is NOT a demo -- her name and personal info was easily passed on SU! by several people here. In fact, a while back someone here got an email back from DS (after reporting her) saying that they are sure this person is being supplied by several demos.

Unfortunately, it remains to be seen if what she is doing is really illegal. If she is buying the stamps from several demos, and reselling them as a customer, she is perfectly within her rights -- sad but true. Do her demos know she is doing this? Hard to say, although they are certainly happily raking in the benefits of such high sales.

These types of dishonest people will always be a problem. :(

ETA: That pointer to the ebay page above with SU! policy is not likely the "real" SU!. Those are demo rules, not for the general public. A regular customer CAN sell current sets if they wish.

Last edited by StampinMelis; 05-08-2005 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 09:08 PM   #72  

Actually that page is for everyone. It says right on the page: "Stampin� Up! does not prevent people (other than its demonstrators under certain rules) from offering their genuine Stampin' Up! stamps for re-sale on eBay."

If a demo is knowingly supplying someone who is selling on eBay, that's against her contract, and her demoship would be pulled. It's in the contract we sign.

Hope this helps clear up any questions about that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
ETA: That pointer to the ebay page above with SU! policy is not likely the "real" SU!. Those are demo rules, not for the general public. A regular customer CAN sell current sets if they wish.
That page is accessible to anyone on Ebay. I just gave a short cut because it was asked for.

1.) Go to www.ebay.com
2.)Click Policies on the very bottom of the page
3.)Again go to the bottom and click "Verified Rights Owner (VeRO) Program" under Protecting Intellectual Property
4.) Click " VeRO Program participant About Me pages"
5.)Under Categories choose "Arts, Crafts, and Photography"
6.)They are in alphabetical order.

If you have any questions for the owner of that Me page you can contact them by clicking on the stampinup(r) at the bottom of the page and then choosing contact member.

There may be a shorter way to this page. This is the way Ebay pointed me when I had some curriculum auctions pulled by another company a couple of years ago. I wanted to know their rules.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:12 AM   #74  
Crimping Master

I discovered SU on ebay, rural area, scrapbooking is just getting big here. I was watching the DIY network and saw a program on stamping. I thought wow, I want to do that. I bought several lots of misc stamps. I bought my first SU set, mother and child, then just started searching for SU stamps. I bought a bunch of what I know now to be current stamp sets on EBAY from SU Demos. I know they were demos because they put their cards in the box they shipped my stamps in. They did not try to hide the fact that they were demos. At the time I did not know what they were doing violated any policy. I finally wised up and did a search for SU, found a demo, got a catty and the hostess benifits I missed out on just made me sick. My first order was my starter kit. It would be easy for SU to weed out the demos, find people that have tuns of current SU stuff on their Auctions or items only demos have at the time like the gift set all the demos got, order a stamp set, return address would give them away to SU. Like I said before, most did not hide the fact to me that they were a demo, I got many business cards in with my orders, or follow-up emails about getting 10% off an order. Plus I got a catty once that did not have the hostess portion in it. Guess that demo did not want me to know what I was missing.

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:28 AM   #75  
Crimping Master

Lightbulb

I have not read all the posts, so if this is a repete, sorry. But the demos that sell their retired sets legally on EBAY, might want to consider putting a note on thier auctions explaining the benifits of finding a demo in their area to get current sets and maybe how to find one through the SU website.

Just a thought

Angie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by acopisshe
I have not read all the posts, so if this is a repete, sorry. But the demos that sell their retired sets legally on EBAY, might want to consider putting a note on thier auctions explaining the benifits of finding a demo in their area to get current sets and maybe how to find one through the SU website.

Just a thought

Angie
That would be a great idea!
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:33 AM   #77  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Debbi-slight sidetrack.

That pic of your beautiful family in your profile is awesome!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #78  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Britts~They are my world!

Being a new Demo I am trying to clear out a bunch of my retired to get money to buy new stuff. If I were to list old ones on Ebay how would you word what has been mentioned above. Should I start a new thread? I do not want to hi-jack.
Debbi~SU Demo~SCS#6378
~My Gallery~My SUO Blog~

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:44 AM   #79  
SCS Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup-start a new thread-I bet you will get lots of ideas.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #80  
Insane Embellisher

You got catalogs with the Hostess pages missing??? I can't believe it! Sometimes stuff like this and the fact that people are "preordering" summer mini cattys on ebay just frustrates me. People are just rude...and wrong...and BLAH! Sorry to vent, but what is happening to our society!?!?
I FiNallY DiD iT - TAC AnGeL #2645

Check out my gallery!!
Reply With Quote Likes