Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the deal with all the stamp stores closing?

Yet another shop is closing here at home. There was two other ones, but they have gone too. This is really starting to stink. I am not really a big fan of Michaels. AC Moore is good,but I don't feel like driving into town to go to the shop.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:10 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Hi, there! Who is closing now?

Always sorry to see another shop close!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:19 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

It's just the economy. It is really hard work to run a small independent store, especially with competition from the mass retailers and online stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 09:31 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's both the economy and the increase of internet shopping sites.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Not to sound preachy but we all need to remember that if we want our local stores to stay open we need to spend our money in those local stores. I know the internet is often cheaper but do they offer the same service you can get locally? I know I can get my Copics online, sometimes for $2 less a marker but will I get hands-on help from a Copic Certified instructor the way I will at my local store? No, I won't. So, small as my budget is these days, I try to spend locally. It helps our local economy, it helps small business owners, and it helps me by giving me access to hands-on help when I need it.

Sorry to sound preachy...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by crafty1021View Post
Not to sound preachy but we all need to remember that if we want our local stores to stay open we need to spend our money in those local stores. I know the internet is often cheaper but do they offer the same service you can get locally? I know I can get my Copics online, sometimes for $2 less a marker but will I get hands-on help from a Copic Certified instructor the way I will at my local store? No, I won't. So, small as my budget is these days, I try to spend locally. It helps our local economy, it helps small business owners, and it helps me by giving me access to hands-on help when I need it.

Sorry to sound preachy...
Oh Jen, i couldn't agree with you more. Most of my supplies are bought at a local stamping store. We don't have too many of them here. I tend to stay away from Joanns and Michaels for numerous reasons. I believe in supporting the local economy even if it costs a few dollars more. But I have been shopping there for so many years that she never charges me full price anymore. This has also rubbed off on my grown up kids.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 55 Likes on 32 Posts

I shop at LSS stores in whatever town I happen to be visiting, LOL!?! I found two of them in Nashville, Indiana! Amazing how much they can put in a tiny space, it has taken me 2 visits just to see what I missed the first time.

I did find a fairly new stamp company (red rubber) today, Heartfelt Creations, make right here in Indiana so I hear. I even bought a sentiment stamps (Christmas) and it is not often I will pay for one sentiment stamp.

You can bet I will visit my LSS once I return home.

Hate to see so many stores closing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

scrapbook cabin in Amherst nh

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosMomView Post
Hi, there! Who is closing now?

Always sorry to see another shop close!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

As someone who owned a rubber stamp store for three years I can tell you it's really difficult to keep the doors open. The "big box" shops hurt us the most, I remember a large new line of stamp launching and all our customers starting asking about them so we placed a huge order only to find out our local Michael's had an exclusive to get them one month earlier than we could (luckily we were able to cancel the order) but things like that and the 40% off coupons and big sale (we couldn't afford to match) hurt us alot. Plus trying to afford all the latest and greatest new items is hard and stock would get stale quickly.

Owning any type of independent store is hard but when you've got so much competition from large stores, the internet or other similar stores in town (we also had another stamp store plus a scrapbooking store in town) it's that much harder. I loved owning the store, best thing I ever did but it was hard.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2010, 09:01 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Pretty much all of the local stores have closed here. We are down to an Archivers and one other store that is quite far from me. All the smaller sized places and smaller shops have shut down.

I think it does have a lot to do with the change in economy and the quickness in the change in taste of the customers. The stores often get stuck with merchandise that the customers are not interested in, and if it doesn't move quick enough many customers don't go back. The online market has been a big killer as customers can reach out and get whatever they want and many times do it cheaper. I do miss the fun of local stores though. I was a teacher at many of the local stores.

Just my thoughts

Holley
a new project everyday! Holley's Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

The trend has been to shop locally to support the local businesses lately, especially farmer's markets, etc. For many, it is too easy to go the big box stores and use that coupon, however, service is the one thing they don't have.

It is too bad that the mom and pops are going out. I am a soapmaker also, and totally believe in the shop local mentally.

Chris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 03:53 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have a stamp shop that is doing pretty well. They always have new items and what is currently in style. They have Nesties, Sugar Nellies, WOJ and others and i LOVE this shop and spend money there.
We also have a scrapbook shop that is closing. I rarely went there as it is all geared to scrapbooking and I stamp more than scrapbook. Several people have told her to bring in stamps line that also cater to us and we all would shop there more. She always complained of how she cannot afford it to the customers. Also snide remarks were always made if a different store was mentioned or even the stamp expo here.
SO no I rarely shopped here.

But yes it is always sad to see a shop close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 04:38 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

I live in Rural, Ohio and the one and only true LSS is about 45M drive and in that same town is a J's. I tend to shop at J"s first due to coupons and then the LSS second because the costs are high- but at least 1X month I stop in to see if they have anything new. I am one that prefers to get as much out of money as possible- so I Internet shop 80% of the time. I Love the discounts Internet stores can provide. At a time when every dollar counts- and we have to pinch pennies to make ends meet- it only makes sense to go shop where I can get the best price. I wish I could afford to only buy at the LSS but they seem to have a difficult time getting in the newest and brightest products. At this point I really don't care if I have a LSS because I have the Internet- one place I can find almost everything I want at prices that makes my purse happy.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:19 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

I have had very different service from my LSS. I get better service at the big box stores. I can actually get someone to talk to me and I can use a coupon. The big box stores also have more current product. There are two great local stamp and scrapbook stores that are 45 minutes away. Luckily my MIL is moving a block away from one. I will have to schedule shopping trips when I visit her.

Last edited by frogwoman; 08-07-2010 at 05:20 AM.. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:31 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I drive 40 minutes to 2 hours to go to my stores and I live in Dallas! We have every big store buuuutt they rarely cary any of the hard to find stuff...like Graphic 45 papers. I go every chance I get. I know the owner of one in Winnsboro TX (she is the bestest store ever!) and she will tell you she is not in it for the money. She does it because it is a service to the small towns in East Texas. She gets by but it is not a huge salary for her at all...long hours and hard work but everyone loves her and her store.

If you are ever driving through it is 25 miles off I30 in Texas...go south at Sulpher Springs to Winnsboro...she is just past the big intersection to the east on Franklin--Scrappy K's. (don't you love the direction about the 'big' intersection downtown...it is the only 'big' intersection in the city!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:56 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

We only have two stores in the whole state. One is too far from me, the other is nearby.

However, I rarely shop there because they only carry one line of stamps and I don't want to pay $12 for one stamp. They also only carry one company brand of DP.

If they would just diversify a bit and order from other companies to get a selection, I would go there. It seems like they don't keep up with the trends and don't even carry the things that are "in" right now at all. No die cutting at all, no Copics, no vintage items.

They have been there for years and have always done this, so I know it isn't the economy as the reason for the low selection.

Sometimes they can't compete with the big box stores simply because they are choosing not to compete with them. Keep up with things that are going on in your business and change accordingly to bring in new customers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #17  
RHS
Rubber Obsessor

I firmly believe in shopping locally in the independent shops, but I gotta tell you that I get better product & customer service from Gina K than I do from any of the shops around here. The local ones have attitude and I hate having to always watch for their coupons - then I drive 30 mins to get there and they have so many restrictions on the use of these coupons. They never seem to have the time to do any kind of demo of a product, but I've learned so much from watching Gina's video tutorials. It's less costly and better service for me to just shop with Gina K and it feels like I'm suppporting a friend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

We have one local stamp store left, and then we have J's and Michaels. I have to say that our local store is much, much better than our Michaels or Joanns. They may not do the coupon thing, but at least they carry all the Nestabilities and cuttlebug items, not to mention a HUGE variety of stamps and just about every brand of ink pad I can think of. Yes, I know that I can get these items cheaper online, but even when I use the 40% off coupon at Cut at Home, by the time you add the shipping it's only a few dollars less. I'd rather support my local store and plus I get the instant gratification of being able to take my items home and use them immediately instead of waiting for the mail. But I rarely find anything to buy at Michael's and Joanns anymore.

One poster mentioned Gina K., and I do have to admit that I buy a lot online from that company. In fact, I'm planning to place an order today. But as far as local shopping is concerned, I'd just as soon go to our local store and have a decent selection, instead of the sad offerings that M's and J's have, even if I do pay a little more.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 11:54 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would love to shop my LSS but they haven't gotten new product in in months and months. They always promise new product but I don't see it. I've bought all I can from them.
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #20  
Mad Swapper

I usually only get things like adhesive at AcMoore or Michaels. Sometimes I'll get Nesties there since I can use a coupon.

I have a few LSS about 30-45 mins from me and they have a pretty good selection of product and get newer items in. The one store carries Amuse stamps which I use a lot and always have the newest ones, as well as a great selection of older ones. That store also has a rewards program where once they stamp my card for the amount I spend and once it gets filled up I get 20% off. I was able to get my scorepal with that.

I also do a lot of shopping online.

I am not one that chooses just to spend my money at mom and pop type stores, I try and spread my money around evenly. I look at it as if we stop spending money at big box retailers and they have to close then you are still putting local people out of jobs.

Wishlist
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

I tend to shop at Michaels more than anywhere else. Lately I've slowed down as money is really, really tight. There is a scrapbooking store that is nearby. I've been there a few times. My problem is that I don't like the majority of the DP they have there. The stamps are too expensive and not what I really want anyway. They do carry my Stickles and Smooch so I purchase those there. I know the owner (well the owner who had to get it up for 9 months because of legal action from CTMH). It's just difficult for me to spend my money there when I have coupons for Michaels and it fits in my budget more.

We also have a Hobby Lobby about 20 minutes away and an Archivers on the other side of town. Plus there are several other scrapbooking stores. There aren't any stamp stores that I can tell. I just don't get to the other places often.

I figure if I spend my money in any store that it saves jobs in some small way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Sheena, where in Ohio did you grow up? I too, am from Ohio, a little town called CIRCLEVILLE, just south of Columbus. And I have a cousin who's name is Sheena!! LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
I live in Rural, Ohio and the one and only true LSS is about 45M drive and in that same town is a J's. I tend to shop at J"s first due to coupons and then the LSS second because the costs are high- but at least 1X month I stop in to see if they have anything new. I am one that prefers to get as much out of money as possible- so I Internet shop 80% of the time. I Love the discounts Internet stores can provide. At a time when every dollar counts- and we have to pinch pennies to make ends meet- it only makes sense to go shop where I can get the best price. I wish I could afford to only buy at the LSS but they seem to have a difficult time getting in the newest and brightest products. At this point I really don't care if I have a LSS because I have the Internet- one place I can find almost everything I want at prices that makes my purse happy.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:42 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwelch10377View Post
I usually only get things like adhesive at AcMoore or Michaels. Sometimes I'll get Nesties there since I can use a coupon.

I have a few LSS about 30-45 mins from me and they have a pretty good selection of product and get newer items in. The one store carries Amuse stamps which I use a lot and always have the newest ones, as well as a great selection of older ones. That store also has a rewards program where once they stamp my card for the amount I spend and once it gets filled up I get 20% off. I was able to get my scorepal with that.

I also do a lot of shopping online.

I am not one that chooses just to spend my money at mom and pop type stores, I try and spread my money around evenly. I look at it as if we stop spending money at big box retailers and they have to close then you are still putting local people out of jobs.
I think a lot like you Kelli. I tend to "spread it around" a little as well. I have done lots on line but I have a favorite LSS that I try to shop at once a month or so and then run into Michaels or AC Moore on occasion for some things my LSS doesn't carry. Now that I've become a SU Demo, I will be restricted from purchasing my supplies elsewhere for awhile and I hope some people will buy SU online and/or out of the catalog from me directly. It is just that there are so many choices out there for us to get our supplies and it is unfortunate that everyone is competing for the same $$$.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually shop online or the big box stores but I also used to go to my LSS at least once a month and spend a few dollars there, as money got tighter I just stopped going. I understand the reason for the higher pricing (the cost of rent could choke a horse in NYC), unfortunately, I still have to get the most I can for my money since my stamping budget shrunk. You know what, I really miss going there, I always had a blast, it would be awful if it wasn't there anymore. I think I'm going to take a trip there this week. Yeah, I'm going to my stamp store....woohoo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

I just visited my local craft store today - it's really a scrapbooking store and they don't have much in the way of stamps, but I can usually find something in there!
Today I purchased a few sheet of designer paper that is not found in any of the chain craft stores and I found a wonderful stamp (and paper) from a company called Harmonie. I mentioned that I really like what she had displayed so she showed me the catalog and - oh my! - their christmas paper for this season is just so pretty! And they have coordinating stamps as well!
I hope she decides to carry that line for this winter because I love it and have not seen it around anywhere else!

I also try and take a class every couple of months there.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 02:09 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

I don't have any stamping/craft stores within a half hour of me, but, luckily, in the nearest "big" town where I have lots of doctor appts is a LARGE craft store with many rows of stamping and scrapbooking, plus yarn and all the other stuff I might want. It is a local company tho, and not a chain, so it is like a LSS to me! There was an actual scrapbooking only store in the same town, but it closed in the past year. I think Crafts Direct makes it cuz they are so big and have all craft stuff anyone could want.

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2010, 05:36 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Unfortunately, I think that many of the hobby/craft/arts specialty stores are closing for several reasons.
1. I think the internet has hurt most brick-and-mortar stores, including those that cater to our hobbies/arts/crafts. Price and selection are often better online.
2. The economy has hurt the kind of discretionary spending that these types of stores depend on.
3. Cyclical trends in crafting tend to shake out shops pretty often (ie quilting, knitting, paper crafts all go through highs and lows in participation)
4. Some of the people that open these stores aren't good businessmen/women, and find that they cannot sustain a business profitably because they don't have the business skills needed. They have a passion for their art/craft//hobby, but that doesn't always translate into a thriving shop.

Just my opinion, after many years of seeing these types of stores cycle in and out of business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 04:59 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Most of our scrapbook stores have closed but the stamp stores are still open. One scrabook owner had 3 stores and although business was down, they closed because they were tired after 12 years. Others closed for lack of business. The ones that are open had a strong business plan, dedicated customers, and they offer the newest items, great classes, and they don't really try to compete with Michaels, Joanns, or another local hobby store. The stores that are still open had a established customer base whereas the new ones that closed did not have this. One store was so huge (it was wonderful to browse) but we always wondered how they were going to pay the rent and yep, it closed, rent was too high.

I miss having the other stores, especially the one that was 5 minutes from my house. But in the end, it's good for the ones that are still open. I try to buy locally from SU first, LSS second, then Michaels/JoAnns, then online as last resort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:20 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

We have 3 local LSS store. One is more of a dedicated stamping store and the others are scrapbooking. All 3 are very different in style and selection appealing to a wide range of crafters. My favorite one here in Cape Coral is very creative in her themes for her crops and has a big following of fans. While I have never been able to participate in her crops, I follow her on facebook and check in with her at the shop from time to time and she is having a good time and I think that is why she has such a good following. She has grown from a very small shop to a larger shop on a busier road and is doing well. I'm very happy for her. I don't follow the other two as much but I hear from my friends that they have their following too and stay fairly busy. I guess we are just lucky in this area as while we lost construction jobs we still have a fair amount service based/medical business in the area so the business that are well managed and know how to ride out these waves in the economy are doing well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #30  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinmomnhView Post
Yet another shop is closing here at home.
I know, it's so sad :(

Where are you in NH? I'm just above Rochester.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:53 AM   #31  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
Sheena, where in Ohio did you grow up? I too, am from Ohio, a little town called CIRCLEVILLE, just south of Columbus. And I have a cousin who's name is Sheena!! LOL
I live about 2 hours North-East of Columbus- but I know where Circleville is from traveling to columbus to party years ago. Also Sheena isn't my RL name it is more of a Nik-Name given to me over 10 years ago and I carried it onto the internet around the same time. Most people in RL also know me a Sheena before they ever know my birthname.

Sheena
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:18 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Where I am in Sonoma County Ca. we have 1 LSS that is small and another LSS that has 2 stores but is a general craft store with fabrics. In fact this one just BOUGHT a new building front as the old place didn't have the room for fabric. This new store is just down the street from a Wal-Mart, which we now know doesn't really do card making crafts supplies any longer, nor much in the fabric area. So hopefully this new version will do well. The name is Beverly's BTW.
The small LSS is also a frame shop and if it weren't for that part of the business she would have closed already like the rest have. This wonderful owner (Helene) will help in may areas and has many classes offered. She will do special orders to get her customers what they are wanting. But, she is struggling like any other small business. All of her customers know that she is struggling, so we try to spend a good part of our crafting dollars at her store.
As we are a tourist area (wine country and coast) she does get a few out of towners that come in and splurge which helps, but... it's still a struggle.
We also have 2 Joann's, and2 Michaels that are within 20 miles of each other, so all these big stores do take away from the LSS.
Shop locally and keep the tax dollars in your area where needed.

Have fun and be creative!

Jennifer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #33  
Stampin' Fool

Most of my shopping is done on the internet now. When I first started stamping 6 or 7 years ago, I tried to buy local. Several stores listed in the phone book had already closed (this would have been before the economy went sour), and I really tried to buy from the remaining ones.

One about 15 minutes away was mostly geared to scrapping. They did offer monthly card classes for $20, but I never liked any of the projects I made there, so didn't continue paying $20 for long. They closed and the owner now works for the same employer as I do.

There was another pretty large stamp and scrap store about 30 minutes away. They had so much space that I didn't see how they could cover expenses. They had a newsletter and a monthly coupon. Again, I didn't like most of the projects offered in their classes, and the merchandise selections didn't change. Eventually it got to where I would go in with a coupon and cash in my pocket, and leave without finding a single thing to buy. They closed, too.

Now we're down to Michaels, JoAnn and Hobby Lobby. I go in JoAnn about once a year, due to stagnant merchandise, cluttered sales floor, and employees who don't seem to know crafting. I visit Michaels with a coupon every couple of months, but again their employees aren't very knowledgeable and most of the stock is old.

To buy really cool new paper, embellishments and tools, I've been forced to shop online. A number of online vendors give stellar service, consistently new merchandise, and great prices plus sales - even free shipping. With being so disappointed in the local stores, the only thing I'm missing by shopping online is the pleasure of being able to actually touch the items before purchasing. It's still providing a job for somebody's next door neighbor, just not mine.

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It would be so nice to have a national list of the stores. That way when we travel we could buy our souvenirs at those shops!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 AM   #35  
Crimping Master

I've often wondered if our own appetite for the latest and greatest is driving local stores out of business. With the sheer number of stamps, paper lines, and accessories on the market, it would be difficult for any one store to stock everything we want.

Katy, I'm disappointed to hear that Scrapbook Cabin is closing up shop. They seemed to have a pretty good selection of scrapbooking lines the few times I visited. Because I'm a stamper more than a scrapbooker, they weren't high on my list of local shops though. I try to make a trip to Ink About It once every other month and make pit stops at Michael's and ACMoore in between for incidentals and my Martha Stewart fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

I think people's inability to wait - the 'must have latest and greatest' does hurt small business. If I like something enough that I want to buy it, I'll like it a year after it comes out, too. So I am finding I'll get older at M's that my lss missed. Our Michaels is NOT up to date. At all.

I won't pay $11+ for a single stamp. Pretty much all my stamps are SU! I like the images, and I like the price. Especially now that there is an unmounted option.

Another big problem is small business owners who won't listen to the customers. I got tired of the lss (now closed) bringing in stuff from companies nobody was interested in. The stamp store in town is the same way. Actually, her problem is she's clique-y. She has certain people she 'likes' and if they want something, she gets it. If I ask for certain things, it's, "I'm not taking orders right now." I'm not the only person to notice this behaviour. And this start before I stoppped spending decent amounts of $$ there, so it's not that she doesn't think I'll shop.

The lss we have in the next town - about 20-30 mins away (depending on traffic) is great. I don't like to go more than monthly due to the drive, and because it's so fab I'd be broke if I went more often.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 03:13 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

It's really a Catch-22 for LSS. We, and they, want the latest and greatest, but if no one bought the last latest and greatest there is no money to buy new product. No new product means that the old stuff sits on the shelf or has to be sold at a discount just to cover the cost of getting it in the stores.

This type of situation is starting to affect internet stores as well. Even though they don't have the overhead, providing a nice place to shop and browse and have classes, they still have to have the latest and greatest in order to attract business. And if they guessed wrong, what the greatest would be, they are stuck with no money to buy new product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
I live about 2 hours North-East of Columbus- but I know where Circleville is from traveling to columbus to party years ago. Also Sheena isn't my RL name it is more of a Nik-Name given to me over 10 years ago and I carried it onto the internet around the same time. Most people in RL also know me a Sheena before they ever know my birthname.

Sheena
I am about 2 hours northeast of Columbus. I sure hope it's not my store you're referring to with your earlier statement... "I wish I could afford to only buy at the LSS but they seem to have a difficult time getting in the newest and brightest products." I'd be crushed to find out someone was that disappointed in the selection after visiting my store... I work really hard to have the newest and trendiest at all times.

Many thanks to everyone who supports their small, local stores! Some of us are still afloat, and appreciate it greatly!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewflakeView Post
I shop at LSS stores in whatever town I happen to be visiting, LOL!?! I found two of them in Nashville, Indiana! Amazing how much they can put in a tiny space, it has taken me 2 visits just to see what I missed the first time.

I did find a fairly new stamp company (red rubber) today, Heartfelt Creations, make right here in Indiana so I hear. I even bought a sentiment stamps (Christmas) and it is not often I will pay for one sentiment stamp.

You can bet I will visit my LSS once I return home.

Hate to see so many stores closing.
I LOVE Papertrix in Nashville...such a fun store! The owners are so nice and they'll talk shop with you all day. I'm amazed at how much they pack into a small shop, too.

I'm just thankful that I live near an Archiver's store for those times when I have to feel it in my hands before I actually buy it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by isewquilts2View Post
Unfortunately, I think that many of the hobby/craft/arts specialty stores are closing for several reasons.
1. I think the internet has hurt most brick-and-mortar stores, including those that cater to our hobbies/arts/crafts. Price and selection are often better online.
2. The economy has hurt the kind of discretionary spending that these types of stores depend on.
3. Cyclical trends in crafting tend to shake out shops pretty often (ie quilting, knitting, paper crafts all go through highs and lows in participation)
4. Some of the people that open these stores aren't good businessmen/women, and find that they cannot sustain a business profitably because they don't have the business skills needed. They have a passion for their art/craft//hobby, but that doesn't always translate into a thriving shop.

Just my opinion, after many years of seeing these types of stores cycle in and out of business.
I agree with everything you said.

I like to shop local when I can. We have a store geared toward scrapbooking, a store geared toward stamping and then a M's and HL. Our JoAnn's dont really carry much in the line of papercrafting stuff so I dont count it.

I was a little put out tho when I was at my local stamp shop, commented on some stamps that they had, but they didnt have the exact 2 I wanted. The person there offered to order them for me and I said great! I would rather give them my money first. Well, I wish I had ordered online because it was over 2 months before I got my stamps and I had called 2 times in between to find out what the deal was. Each time I was told "oh, its been ordered" but I could have had those stamps in 2 weeks if I had just ordered from the site! Its little things like that that make me just want to internet shop.
Reply With Quote Likes