Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:52 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the best way to pack stamping supplies for a move?

We're getting ready to move and it looks like our household stuff will be in storage for about a month before we can get into a new house at our next base. What is the best/safest way for me to pack the things like my ink pads? I was going to put them in ziplock bags by color family and then I got thinking that if for some reason one pad leaked it could ruin all the rest of the ink pads and I would not be happy. So then I started thinking maybe individual ziplock bags for each pad?

Any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 01:16 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I'm pretty paranoid, so I did the following:
All ink pads were wrapped with paper towels, newspaper, etc. to absorb any ink spills. They were then wrapped individually into a small sandwich baggie, (not ziplock, the cheap ones you can get 150 for $1) and all of those were placed in a bigger ziplock bag. Then the bag was put into a shoe box filled with crumpled newspaper. In hindsight, the crumpled paper in the shoe box was overkill.
I did basically the same thing for my markers, ink refills and anything meltable. I filled 2 large moving boxes with lots of small shoeboxes! (You can get those for free from Payless Shoes if you happen to catch them before they break them down for recycling.) I treated these boxes like they were more valuable than our electronics! LOL
Hope that helps! Good luck with the move!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 02:26 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You can also find the ziploc goodie baggies at a dollar store that are the same size as a stamp pad to put each individual pad in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

I wrapped each ink pad in saran wrap to hold the covers on and prevent leaks then I put color families in a zip lock bag. I also put my loose paper in a priority box. I left alot in the original containers. My hint is to make sure the boxes don't get too heavy! Good luck
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any wisdom to add...just

I'd be glad to babysit all your supplies for you!! new stamps sets...... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi! Good luck with your move. I've moved A LOT with my supplies and have never had problems. For the past five years--and four moves--my ink pads have been in a smaller rubbermaid container. I filled it with pads which helped keep the lids secure. It's been a couple years since I last used my stuff and so far so good! All the pads work great. Another set of pads have been packed in a gallon ziplock and those too have done well. For my reinkers, I put them in snacksized zip locks and then in a larger ziplock. Now, I have no idea how they're fairing as they're in storage and have been for a couple years now. (I could have sworn I left them at my parents but no luck so far.:confused I packed all my scrapbook paper in 12x12 boxes so there was no wory about it getting crushed. Those boxes too have done quite well. Just don't get boxes that are too deep as they weigh down fast. Stamps, those I packed into bigger sterlite boxes, in their original boxes. No probelms there either!

Inkspots101 my crafting blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 06:30 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Are you packing just certain things and having movers come or are you doing a DITY move? I just packed all my stuff over the last week, as we PCS next month. I taped all my inkpads shut then put them in bags inside the tacklebox I usually keep them in, inside a box with lots of padding. I think they will make the trip, but we will be lucky enough not to have to put stuff in storage, as we should have housing as soon as we get to there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

We have moved twice in 5 years (first time we did it all ourselves NEVER AGAIN! The next time we did a partial DITY) and I just packed them like I they came. My SU inks are in their color family box. My other inks I put in a smaller box to put in the packing box. I make sure to pack the box tight so they stay standing up. I also keep a watchful eye on my craft room boxes. They go on top or even better in one of the cars. Be sure and mark all over the box FRAGILE, top shelf only, do not stack on, ect. I am fortunate, my husband, is very careful and picky about his toys too! Good luck with your move.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

Silly suggestion: mark your craft room boxes with painter's tape so you can tell instantly which boxes are craft. I just put a splodge of it on each corner (or you could put one stripe all around the box). You can see immediately which ones need to go in your craft room.

Cindy/CA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 09:26 AM   #10  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

What ever you do, make sure the stamp pads and markers are kept flat. Mark your box "this side up" so they stay in the right position. I'd also consider labeling your paper as "fragile" and add some descant packages to absorb moisture.

When we moved, I used a moving company and each box was color coded and had the room name. Then I labeled the doors to each room to match the boxes. The movers placed each box in the appropriate room. All I had to do while they were there was sit in the garage with a beer and answer any questions they had. It was wonderful and fast. Well worth the extra cost.

Oh and when they picked up our stuff I stored everything in groups by room so they loaded it this way and it came off the truck in the same order. As the movers emptied a room and made a last quick clean & vacum and closed the door. Then I knew everything was out. We didn't leave anything behind and within an hour of the movers leaving, we left.

Good luck with your room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
What ever you do, make sure the stamp pads and markers are kept flat. Mark your box "this side up" so they stay in the right position. I'd also consider labeling your paper as "fragile" and add some descant packages to absorb moisture.
Since this is a military move, there is no guarntee of a box remaining upright. I know it's something I never worried about, and my pads have always been fine. So long as the lids remain secure, all should be good.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 06:57 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

May I suggest that you make all your family ride in the moving van and place your much loved crafting supplies on the seat next to you!!!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 85 Likes on 44 Posts

A quick hi-jack: Just wanted to give a big shout-out to you military wives out there and let you know that I appreciate the sacrifices you make while your husbands serve our country. And to thank your husbands for their service. And vice versa if you're in the military yourself. Thank you and may God bless you and keep your family safe.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

have only done one Cross country move and nothing special was done for my ink and they arrived jes' fine. next one will either be back to San Diego or back to Japan. if we do get the Japan orders, I will be a little more paranoid.

will never do a DITY. never ever EVER. it's bad enough I have to take stuff off the walls and take pictures and unpack.....:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Your stamping stuff should move just fine. I think if you've taped the lids closed they'll be ok. Our last move before this one was to Ft.Bliss and our household goods went in storage (not climate controlled) in El Paso in the middle of summer. I had no problems with my craft supplies, acrylic paints, ink supplies, everything was fine. There was however a little issue with shrink-wrapping the sofas. Did you know plastic melts in direct sunlight?? Not pretty.

Good luck with the move and try not to stress too much about it. Just remember, if it's irreplaceable try to bring it with you, don't ship it. Everything else, cross your fingers and hope for the best and if bad things happen, collect the money and buy new better things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsjvbView Post
have only done one Cross country move and nothing special was done for my ink and they arrived jes' fine. next one will either be back to San Diego or back to Japan. if we do get the Japan orders, I will be a little more paranoid.
will never do a DITY. never ever EVER. it's bad enough I have to take stuff off the walls and take pictures and unpack.....:rolleyes:
You should be fine! We went from CO to Korea to Japan with no issues at all. Also remember that you now have full replacement value too, so just make sure to check everything and file a claim if need be.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 02:06 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

My stuff has moved from CA to AR to KS to HI to NJ to AL and is all fine. I just put my ink pads and anything "leaky" in ziploc bags and then put them in a box that just fits them or a plastic tub. Never had any problems with heat or having them in non-climate controlled storage for several months at a time.
Just becareful shipping anything flamable. As a former Transportation Officer, I could tell you horror stories. Trust me, it's not worth shipping the flamable stuff. Either take it with you or give it away and buy new. I know it can get expensive, but so is replacing everything you own that is on one truck with your flamable whatever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 04:35 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I am finding it hard to move my stuff just across the hallway from my scraproom. Room totally being emptied, new paint job, flooring. Just trying to box up and keep organized is a chore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I've done three PCS moves since I started stamping. The longest was from Rota Spain to Norfolk VA. In that one I put them in my express shipment so I could have them for the three months I was in FL for school. So far no problems what so ever and I didn't really do anything special. Maybe I was just lucky and the movers had wives that stamped. ;););)
Reply With Quote Likes