Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are your thoughts about cutting down 12x12 paper to store it?

I'm talking about cutting 12x12 paper into 4 6-inch blocks. I guess it would be really wasteful to try to do this with 8.5x11 paper. But, as a cardmaker and not a scrapbooker, does this make sense? I'm thinking there are some spellbinder dies and perhaps some other dies that would then be too large for the smaller size... Has anyone done this and do you have regrets? I know it's only paper, but it is so difficult for me to use any of my pretty paper. Despite having tons of it, I end up using white almost exclusively, and either use a background stamp on it or color it with an inkpad and sponge. It's really ridiculous!

Thoughts?

Karen
(I accidently posted this on the SU board, and the ladies there had helpful information, but I'm primarily talking about paper stacks from local craft stores, not even dsp, so I thought I would post the same question here. I hope this is all right.)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 02:58 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 297 Likes on 115 Posts

I cut mine down to 8 1/2" x 11" so I could store it in standard-size file folders and drawers. That way I'm using it the same way I do the 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock, as well. There are usually multiples of the patterns in any of the pads/packs I buy, so I cut half in one direction, the other half in the other direction, so I can use the patterns either way (landscape or portrait orientation - if that made any sense).

Any patterns that took the entire 12" space or that didn't have a good "cutting point" I left whole, so I do have a small stash of those. As far as solid colors, I did the same thing, since I don't scrapbook and rarely make anything that requires 12". I haven't regretted it so far!

An added bonus: I cut the strips I lopped off into squares, wrote the name of the paper and manufacturer on the back, hole-punched the corners and put them on a book ring. Now I have an inventory/reference of all of my papers!
Attached Thumbnails
What are your thoughts about cutting down 12x12 paper to store it?-paper-rings.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 03:42 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It makes sense to me. I have very rarely bought 12 x 12 paper but if I did, I would cut it down. I don't have a way of storing 12 x 12 paper. Even the very few scrapbooks that I made were done in an 8.5 x 11 format, NOT 12 x 12.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 AM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This sounds like a good idea for a cardmaker, but then I make different size cards. Mostly 6 x 6. I think I would cut my paper down to 6 x 6 and store it that size. I also use the cameo and cricut, so then there is the problem of not having a big enough sheet of paper for a pattern maybe, (for a scrapbook page). But it sure would be nice to just pull a few sheets of paper out and have your card almost made!
Who does this? I would like to hear more feedback on how you like this idea!

Oh! That is a brilliant idea of having a paper swatch on a ring for reference also!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:13 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I have done it and it makes it so much easier to store and find a piece that you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 07:20 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love to cut down my ton of 12 x 12 but I make boxes and bags with my Cricut and I know if I cut any down that would be the piece I would need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a great idea!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I cut mine down to 8 1/2" x 11" so I could store it in standard-size file folders and drawers. That way I'm using it the same way I do the 8 1/2" x 11" cardstock, as well. There are usually multiples of the patterns in any of the pads/packs I buy, so I cut half in one direction, the other half in the other direction, so I can use the patterns either way (landscape or portrait orientation - if that made any sense).

Any patterns that took the entire 12" space or that didn't have a good "cutting point" I left whole, so I do have a small stash of those. As far as solid colors, I did the same thing, since I don't scrapbook and rarely make anything that requires 12". I haven't regretted it so far!

An added bonus: I cut the strips I lopped off into squares, wrote the name of the paper and manufacturer on the back, hole-punched the corners and put them on a book ring. Now I have an inventory/reference of all of my papers!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,076 Likes on 826 Posts

I've never cut mine down. I think, unless I made all square cards ( I do, mostly!) 6" squares wouldn't be an economical use of the paper, there'd be more waste (or strips to save and try to use) from cutting a 6" square down to A2. Plus, sometimes I need bigger pieces for covering chipboard or whatever. I have a couple of 12x12 storage things (Cropper Hopper, I think), and that's all I need and I find it easy to find what I'm looking for. I feel that if I cut it up, it would require more depth to store and probably be harder to find, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I DO make boxes using dies and my Cricut/Cameo. I kind of forgot that fact! I was so entranced by this one lady's blog post and got carried away by the idea. I'm SO glad I posted because I may have regretted doing it once I went to make a box! Ok, well I guess that settles that notion.

Thank you, again, for your thoughts on this.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:05 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

search for one sheet wonders. that might give you some great ideas about cutting your paper into practical bits
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut most of my 12x12 down into 8x8 or 6x6. Living in a small house. and my stamp room is even smaller.

It just makes sense to do that.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes