Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2011, 04:58 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 807 Likes on 329 Posts
Default What is Your Stamping Style?

Me, I don't do cute... well except for House Mouse. I don't why I just can't resist them. They make me smile I collect themes: travel, Indian, floral, butterflies/dragonflies, Oriental, architectural, ocean, African animals etc.

So, what about you? Do you like cute, collage, gothic, lots of ribbons, scrapbook paper, artsy or are you more eclectic?

I love hearing other peoples thoughts and perspectives on art:-) I think it's very enriching and just might give some of us some new ideas or new ways of looking at something.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 05:19 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm probaby the only one who understands what I mean.....but I like whimsical, or sometimes "cute" but not what I call "cutesey." There is difference to my mind when I see it, but probably can't explain it in a coherent way.

For example, I love the little waif girl from MFT's Pure Innocence line, but I'm not crazy about the Magnolia stamps.

Example:Sending Happy Mail by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I love animals in this style: Glitter Window Kitty by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I also like colors, bright or pastel, but not neutral. Add in some embellishments and maybe some Stickles or bling, and call it my card!

I admire other styles and have attempted to break out of the box. I've tried vintage, clean and simple, and technique/artistic. They just don't look like me, so I come back to what I like.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 PM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I'm probaby the only one who understands what I mean.....but I like whimsical, or sometimes "cute" but not what I call "cutesey." There is difference to my mind when I see it, but probably can't explain it in a coherent way.

I also like colors, bright or pastel, but not neutral. Add in some embellishments and maybe some Stickles or bling, and call it my card!
I understand just what you are saying. Whimsical is not the same thing as cute to me either. And you know what? I hadn't thought of color as being part of a person's style either - but you are right it really is. I love color and tend to work with vibrant, rich shades and often darker tones. I've been trying to branch out and do lighter things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well... I can tell you what I don't like, that might be easier. I don't do goth, or scary/spooky... I don't like a lot detail like grass etc... I like clean lines... I do like Magnolias (although a mouth would be nice ;) )... and some cute stuff... I should take some time to load some stuff in the gallery to show my style. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:01 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelDeLlanosView Post
Well... I can tell you what I don't like, that might be easier. I don't do goth, or scary/spooky... I don't like a lot detail like grass etc... I like clean lines... I do like Magnolias (although a mouth would be nice ;) )... and some cute stuff... I should take some time to load some stuff in the gallery to show my style. LOL
Yes, load up some stuff - we'd love to see it.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

My style is more Clean and Simple, but do use ribbons, brads, not overly done.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure.

I seem wander all over the place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #8  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MelDeLlanosView Post
Ohhh I know what you mean. I don't care for scarey or spooky either. For a while, Somerset Studio seemed to have a good bit of that and it totally creeped me out. I hate it when there are stamped images of people's eyes, and bodies with wings and things sticking out of the head. I know that is avant garde but it is scarey/creepy to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 07:43 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I like some cute - mostly Whipper Snapper's snowmen, Halloween and Easter stamps. But have lots of floral, garden-type like leaves, butterflies, even bugs, love geometric and art deco, American Art's Emerson stamps. Also love to use patterned paper, gems, brads, Stickles and ribbon. I use lots of color, both pastel and jewel tone depending on the person and occasion. Learning to use embossing folders and Nesties and loving both! Don't like goth, steampunk, or overly decorated cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 09:13 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do clean and simple. I like flowers, beach, winter designs. I also like brassy ladies and seniors like bugaboo and American arts 'listen honey' gals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2011, 10:47 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

I'm not good at CAS except when it just happens - if I set out trying to make a CAS card it's a struggle. But I don't tend to use a lot of embellishments or ribbon either.
I like trying out techniques - fun folds, creating backgrounds and so on. In fact Resources was my introduction to SCS .
Stamp wise - not into the steampunk, goth, anime, Tim Holtz style much. Nor into people - I have very few people stamps, almost all Rubber Romance. I like flowers, birds, animals and cute-ish animals - Penny Black for example. I'd love some of the Crafty Secrets stamps.
I must use quite a bit of green and brown as they're the colours of Bazzill that I bulk buy.
So I don't think I have a trademark style that is easily identifiable as *me*, even after all these years. I'll settle for just having fun . I was actually thinking about this recently because one of the last VSN challenges was about using your *signature style* on your card (AUG11VSNF ~ Saturday, August 27 ~ High Noon EST ~ Put Your Brand on That by stamp_momma at Splitcoaststampers). I wasn't doing VSN, but if I had been I'd have been stumped to come up with something. I enjoyed seeing what other people did, though...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
So I don't think I have a trademark style that is easily identifiable as *me*, even after all these years. I'll settle for just having fun .
^ Me too!

Vintage, CAS, graphic, artsy... I'll have a go at most things. I don't do what Bugga would call "cutesy" and cannot bear the mouthless children stamps, I find them disturbing and the fact that the expected reaction is "Oh, cute!" even more disturbing still. Whimsical and cute is fine although I don't have many stamps that would fall in to that category.

I guess I tend to be a "stampy stamper" - I very rarely use patterned paper and my embellishments if I'm doing a more embellished style project tend to be in the buttons/brads/ribbon categories rather than the really fancy stuff. I like to use vintage or repurposed items for embellishments rather than buying in to the latest manufacturer trend if I can.

I'm drawn to earthy colours with a particular thing for greens and blues but looking at my rack of inkpads tells me that I just like using colours!

My stamp collection is heavy on CHF (which is an eclectic range in itself!) and Crafty Secrets with a sprinkling of all sorts of others - Technique Tuesday, IndigoBlu, Chocolate Baroque, Tanda, Inkadinkado etc etc. I go through phases of using different parts of my collection.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:09 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
Not sure.

I seem wander all over the place.
Ditto! :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:55 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You know, I don't know if I really have a set style. I love clean lines, simple designs, punches of color. But then I also love more intricate designs with quilted backgrounds and lots of embellishments. I guess I'm just all over the place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 10:52 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I think my favorite style would be vintage. That's what I tend to make when I'm stamping for myself. However, I have to show lots of different styles at my stamp camps since I have lots of different stampers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #16  

Joanne,
I think your trademark style is "gorgeous!" I always love your work. You never just grab some decorative paper, stamp an image and slap it together. Your things always show a lot of thought, effort and ART.

Actually, I've been very impressed with the British stamp art I've seen. It is very artistic
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #17  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I'm not good at CAS except when it just happens - if I set out trying to make a CAS card it's a struggle. But I don't tend to use a lot of embellishments or ribbon either.
I like trying out techniques - fun folds, creating backgrounds and so on. In fact Resources was my introduction to SCS .
Stamp wise - not into the steampunk, goth, anime, Tim Holtz style much. Nor into people - I have very few people stamps, almost all Rubber Romance. I like flowers, birds, animals and cute-ish animals - Penny Black for example. I'd love some of the Crafty Secrets stamps.
I must use quite a bit of green and brown as they're the colours of Bazzill that I bulk buy.
So I don't think I have a trademark style that is easily identifiable as *me*, even after all these years. I'll settle for just having fun . I was actually thinking about this recently because one of the last VSN challenges was about using your *signature style* on your card (AUG11VSNF ~ Saturday, August 27 ~ High Noon EST ~ Put Your Brand on That by stamp_momma at Splitcoaststampers). I wasn't doing VSN, but if I had been I'd have been stumped to come up with something. I enjoyed seeing what other people did, though...
Sabrina,
I really like your work! I especially love the way you create a lot of your own backgrounds. I adore the peacock in your gallery, those tail feathers are gorgeous!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 11:32 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm still figuring this out. I like a lot of different styles, and I CASE much of what I make. I know what I like when I see it, but my stash of cards that I've made seems to resemble my music collection -- an eclectic mix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Received 816 Likes on 534 Posts

I guess I'm a whimsical traditional stamper. I like using card sketches when I need some mojo to come up with an idea.

I do like CAS cards but also like putting 2 or 3 layers on a card.

I like brads and ribbon too!

I use just paper, punches, stamps and embellies.

I don't own a cuttlebug, or big shot, or nesties, or any of the fun toys.

I'm pretty simple
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 02:05 PM   #20  

I'd like to think I make more clean & simple cards. The complicated and advanced techniques just aren't for me mainly because I don't have the time. I like easy and simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

I love vintage designs and collage style stamps. I also love clean simple cards without a lot of fluff. Small brads and thin ribbon are my favorite embelishments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never know what to call my style either. I play in so many challenges that I fluctuate quite a bit...but I think without prompting I lean toward neutrals, natural images and embellishments, and distressing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 10:45 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think my style is harebrained. I love making vintage cards - sponging, distressing, making things look old or using old-looking/antiqued images (like Tim Holtz and Crafty Secrets). I also love cutesy - ESPECIALLY the mouthless Magnolia children! However, I also don't like them without a mouth, so I ALWAYS draw on a nose and mouth. I also LOVE the Penny Black hedgehogs and all the other critters drawn by the artist (Margaret something?) who draws the hedgehogs. I think those would be cutesy/whimsical. I also love country (gingham ribbon, fonts with big dots at the tips of each letter, checkered stuff, etc.). I ALWAYS aim to make one of those extremely busy cards full of layers of different beautiful decorative papers, brads, embellishments, etc. etc. but they somehow nearly always fall short of being busy enough to please me. I guess I keep in mind that I have to mail them so I don't put anything significantly bumpy on there (3-D roses, big gorgeous bows, etc.). I fail so badly at making my cards busy enough that by the time I'm done, to ME they look like badly-made CAS cards (as opposed to beautiful CAS cards)!! Sometimes, particularly on cards for males, I just give up in the middle and call it finished (the harebrained look). But I always enjoy myself in the vain attempts to make the ultimate "busy" card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:10 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Clean and Simple. The cleaner and simpler, the better!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:17 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

If a card has many bright colors on it my stamper friends know I made! LOL! I like happy colors (bright and beachy), water colors...teal, turquoise, blues. LOVE to see the rainbow of colors used on a card! I think my style is all over the place but it probably really isn't. I like whimsical, beach, nautical, CAS, snowflakes, nativities, humorous, puns/twisted humor, etc., etc., etc...it all depends on what the stamp store has to offer! When I go to gatherings I tend to make masculine cards for swaps and shoebox projects because so few others do. If I'm mass producing cards for the troops I usually keep the design simple.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I'm not sure what you would call my style of cards, I kind of like a lot on a card but also like it to look neat if you know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 12:15 AM   #28  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Laughing at Sophie's *harebrained* style. I'd say vintage for you for sure, but on the shabby chic end of the scale rather than the grungy end. And I always think your colouring is fabulous .
Margaret Sherry is the hedgie artist, I think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:18 AM   #29  

I like elegant cards. They can have cute images, or be CAS, but to me the elegance is in the details. No raw edges, a nice ribbon or embellishment, several layers, coloring, sponging, all of that will probably be on there, but at the end, the card is elegant.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:30 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Mine is probably one step up from CAS. I like a layer or two, definatley has to have ribbon and some embossing, die cut shape or a punched shape. I don't like cutesy but I love whimsical flowers. I love botanicals.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I would say I'm sort of a "mutt". I like CAS, but I'm not that good at it--every now and then I stamp a winner, but those are few and far between. I'm probably best described as "classic". Lots of balance, clean lines and I'm pretty good at matching colors. I can't do vintage or shabby chic to save my life! I like lots of different stamp companies, I enjoy coloring with Copics, I adore my Cricut...and as a result you get a bit of everything with my cards--much like the beloved Heinz 57 pet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 07:48 AM   #32  

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

I would say I like making cas cards...clean and simple but ya just never know. Sometimes what starts as an idea gets more layers or turns into something else. Wherever the wind takes me I guess...
Have fun! This hobby should not be like work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 01:50 PM   #33  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My stamping style has multiple personality disorder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
My stamping style has multiple personality disorder.
Just think of all the fun y'all have!;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #35  
Sis
Insane Embellisher

I absolutely love................:wander all over the place............that is me.............and it is so much fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:18 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I'm a "cheapo" stamper - I will go to extremes to use up anything and everything I have at my disposal. Designer paper, weird colours of card-stock, older-than-when-the-Dead-Sea-was-just-sick stickers (yes, gasp, stickers!). I don't have a particular style - I just try to make it not look like my kindergartner did it......

I do have distinct dislikes, like steampunk, so I purposely went out and bought myself some Graphic 45 paper (very vintage/steampunky) to challenge myself to go outside of my very conservative box of tricks. Now I have to actually take it out of the package.....the magic punk fairies refuse to visit my house to put them together for me.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
I'm a "cheapo" stamper - I will go to extremes to use up anything and everything I have at my disposal. Designer paper, weird colours of card-stock, older-than-when-the-Dead-Sea-was-just-sick stickers (yes, gasp, stickers!). I don't have a particular style - I just try to make it not look like my kindergartner did it......

I do have distinct dislikes, like steampunk, so I purposely went out and bought myself some Graphic 45 paper (very vintage/steampunky) to challenge myself to go outside of my very conservative box of tricks. Now I have to actually take it out of the package.....the magic punk fairies refuse to visit my house to put them together for me.......
Absolutely LOVE this entire post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #38  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Absolutely LOVE this entire post!
Now I'm curious, what is steampunk?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #39  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

You'd know it as soon as you saw it .
Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Some of Tim Holtz' stuff, airships, gears, Victorian-style costumes.
Here's a good sample from the gallery: Sneaking Up On You by peeps321 at Splitcoaststampers
If you saw The Golden Compass that's the general feel, too.

Last edited by Cook22; 09-26-2011 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: adding
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Erm erm .. *sigh* mine always seem to come out "cute" ..
What I WISH I could do is elegant.. but when I try to make it.. it looks just like someone tossed stuff on it.. so pretty much its a no fru fru..
I love ribbon, but it doesnt love me.. and lord knows I have drawers full of it, I go in and it says "C'mere come see me my pretty" and I walk out with 3-4 ok 10 rolls of ribbon.. and brads? eyelets? oh my gawd dont get me started on those!! *rolls eyes* TONS!! they just never seem to get to my cards that often..

Ok wait let me rephrase that.. can you say HOARDER??
Reply With Quote Likes