Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #201  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mypixiegirlView Post
My pet peeve is about online shopping. I just hate it when I want a closer look at a product and when I click to enlarge the image a new window opens with the very same size photo as the first one. I also hate music on blogs.
I have to agree with you, this really annoys me. My other peeve is websites that don't have a 'real-time' stock level, or at least the decency to e-mail you and tell you that something is currently out of stock, give you an expected in-by date, and the option to wait or cancel.
Music on blogs- WHY for goodness sake! Music taste is individual, I'm a heavy metal fan, but I wouldn't subject anyone kind enough to visit my blog to my musical choice. Thats probably my number one turn-off for blogs.;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #202  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have another peeve, glad I have somewhere to share it...
It irks me that I paid $4 for shipping for one UM stamp and I received it in a plain envelope with a .44 cent stamp. ugghhh....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 04:01 PM   #203  
Compulsive Stamper

What I hate is when I am working on a card and I lay something down that I have been using and then when I need it again, I spend forever trying to find it, only to finally find it right in front of me. Duh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 PM   #204  
Kookie Creator

This was one of the most enjoyable threads I've read here in a lost time.
My peeves:
-Companies that overcharge for shipping
-Companies that make you register, create a user name and ID, input your address,e mail and telephone information BEFORE you can find out that you will be overcharged for shipping ( see above)
-Michaels coupons that cannot be applied to books and magazines
-Joann's 10% discount on magazines so that you cannot use a 40% coupon on them.

Non -craft related:
-Veggies. I HATE HATE HATE this word. How difficult is it to say/write "vegetables"?
-"Nesties" is starting to irk me as well. Same logic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #205  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
In any case, I used to be a proud member of the grammar police, quick to dismiss a person's intelligence for the misuse of their, there, and they're, or me, myself, and I. But, the more I work in a global marketplace, the more aware I have become that the English language isn't easy to master, even if it was your first language as a toddler followed by 12-ish years of education.
ITA. I learned how to speak French at the age of 24 and am now 36. I learn something new everyday. I've become a lot more tolerant of the use and misuse of language. *Especially* on a message board.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 05:28 PM   #206  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand all your peeves with the English language and how we all pronounce it! I grew up in America, but in a Danish speaking home, with Grandparents and Great Grandmother who I learned my English from...Buy the time I got to Kindergarten, no one could understand me! LOL I had to go to speech class to learn to speak English the right way, so I tend to be very picky on how others screw it up...

But only in American can one word be spelled more than one way and mean more than one thing!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:06 AM   #207  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonieView Post
My biggest pet peeve is having to type out the "security code" when posting a comment on a blog. I can never read the numbers and usually have to try it 2-3 times before getting it right. Drives me nuts!! You can have all comments go to your email inbox before they post to your blog to save people from having to type in the code. Annoying!!!
Yes! I swear I type that code correctly and it STILL tells me I'm wrong and try again!:-( Please take this off your comments, I beg you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:19 AM   #208  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess my pet peeve would be people who leave comments that are not meaningful. I really want to hear what you like about the creation. One word comments such as "Wonderful!" seem comforting but it doesn't tell me why it's wonderful. And sometimes I think they just can't seem to find anything good about the card so they type in a one word comment and just move on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #209  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post
I understand all your peeves with the English language and how we all pronounce it! I grew up in America, but in a Danish speaking home, with Grandparents and Great Grandmother who I learned my English from...Buy the time I got to Kindergarten, no one could understand me! LOL I had to go to speech class to learn to speak English the right way, so I tend to be very picky on how others screw it up...

Quote:

But only in American can one word be spelled more than one way and mean more than one thing!
That so true LOL, not to mention some words are spelled exactly the same and have a different meaning tear (as in crying) and tear (as in torn paper). But I think it's the same for these in the UK and Canada.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 11:22 PM   #210  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by denisecarolclarkView Post
I guess my pet peeve would be people who leave comments that are not meaningful. I really want to hear what you like about the creation. One word comments such as "Wonderful!" seem comforting but it doesn't tell me why it's wonderful. And sometimes I think they just can't seem to find anything good about the card so they type in a one word comment and just move on.
I am, on occasion, guilty of that! I usually do give specifics but sometimes a card just strikes me as, well...simply wonderful. When i really love the overall look of a piece I can get stuck for words. Picking out elements seems inadequate, words can seem trite, and not leaving a comment when i feel so strongly about it just seems totally wrong. So..."wonderful" has to suffice.

My suggestion - take it as a compliment. It would be easier to not make a comment at all. Most probably the person who wrote it couldn't come up with adequate words and really does think it's "wonderful"!

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever. Gandhi
My (poor, neglected) Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 07:14 AM   #211  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CirceView Post
I am, on occasion, guilty of that! I usually do give specifics but sometimes a card just strikes me as, well...simply wonderful. When i really love the overall look of a piece I can get stuck for words. Picking out elements seems inadequate, words can seem trite, and not leaving a comment when i feel so strongly about it just seems totally wrong. So..."wonderful" has to suffice.

My suggestion - take it as a compliment. It would be easier to not make a comment at all. Most probably the person who wrote it couldn't come up with adequate words and really does think it's "wonderful"!
I like the way you put this
I would never feel "put out" or upset if someone said my card was "wonderful." I'd rather have a "Wonderful!" than no comment at all or, even worse "This sucks, what were you thinking?!" LOL

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 07:56 AM   #212  
Die Cut Diva

But only in American can one word be spelled more than one way and mean more than one thing![/QUOTE]
Not strictly true- its that way in England- ie.
Bow(ribbon, or part of a boat) Bow ( to bend over or give in) Bough ( branch of a tree) or even worse : Haw(fruit of a hawthorn tree) Hoar (type of crystalised frost) ***** (we all know what that is)lol, is it any wonder that English is said to be the hardest language to learn?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:02 AM   #213  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphorseView Post

Not strictly true- its that way in England- ie.
Bow(ribbon, or part of a boat) Bow ( to bend over or give in) Bough ( branch of a tree) or even worse : Haw(fruit of a hawthorn tree) Hoar (type of crystalised frost) ***** (we all know what that is)lol, is it any wonder that English is said to be the hardest language to learn?:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 AM   #214  
Die Cut Diva

Another thing that peeves me, and it is true in England, probably not so much in the USA, is stores that sell inkpads but not re- inkers!Distress Re-inkers are available pretty much anywhere, Staz-on & Archival are fairly ok to get, but anything else- forget it. I find it ridiculous that to get re-inkers for pads like Versafine, Encore I have to order them from the USA.:confused: I know that they probably make more profit from pads, but why should I have to keep throwing them away?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:12 AM   #215  
Die Cut Diva

Just going back to the language subject I really, really hate people writing in 'txt' form on forums/blogs. I can understand it for phones, (although I have to admit I write all my words in full when texting),but nowhere else. What scares me is that a lot of people possibly think that this is how these words are actually spelt- and probably will be in a few years!:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 10:14 AM   #216  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Just going back to the language subject I really, really hate people writing in 'txt' form on forums/blogs. I can understand it for phones, (although I have to admit I write all my words in full when texting),but nowhere else. What scares me is that a lot of people possibly think that this is how these words are actually spelt- and probably will be in a few years!:
You think that's scary, I'll tell you what is scary to me. My friends' son is in the 5th grade but is in an advanced 6th grade math class. His first homework assignment had the 2 times tables and 4+4 on it. :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 11:32 AM   #217  
Kookie Creator

Another pet peeve of mine....the whole "creative spelling" or "alternative spelling" that they are teaching in schools. Seriously, there are enough Americans who can barely spell when TAUGHT properly... people can't just all go around spelling words however they want to. No one would ever be able to understand a written document!

A friend of mine was correcting her daughter's homework before turning it in, the teacher sent a note home to the mother asking her to NOT correct the spelling. Seriously?

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM   #218  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MM2002View Post
Another pet peeve of mine....the whole "creative spelling" or "alternative spelling" that they are teaching in schools. Seriously, there are enough Americans who can barely spell when TAUGHT properly... people can't just all go around spelling words however they want to. No one would ever be able to understand a written document!

A friend of mine was correcting her daughter's homework before turning it in, the teacher sent a note home to the mother asking her to NOT correct the spelling. Seriously?

God bless!
I think that is when I'd start home schooling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #219  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The word Cutesy..I don't like it when people say they don't "DO" a certain style..example I don't DO cutesy... Usually said when looking at one of my cards
(I guess I DO cutesy) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 PM   #220  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
We were told by our daughter's first grade teacher (and the principal) that we "shouldn't be helping her with her homework, because she's in the Gifted Program." We took her out of that school within a month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM   #221  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Ha. Funny you mention that, because when I was told that, it made me think.. "If that's what puclic schools are doing now, then I'm even MORE thankful that I homeschool." LOL

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #222  
Kookie Creator

there, their, they're
your, you're

I just saw a beautiful card with a sentiment "Your Invited."

UGH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:45 PM   #223  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Ha. Funny you mention that, because when I was told that, it made me think.. "If that's what puclic schools are doing now, then I'm even MORE thankful that I homeschool." LOL

God bless!
You homeschool??!! That's neat - I'm a homeschooled student!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 02:46 PM   #224  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by good_day1214View Post
there, their, they're
your, you're

UGH!
LOL!!! I've seen ones like that, too :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #225  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Last edited by Mindykid; 10-31-2010 at 04:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #226  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
We were told by our daughter's first grade teacher (and the principal) that we "shouldn't be helping her with her homework, because she's in the Gifted Program." We took her out of that school within a month.
Scary! If they meant you shouldn't be doing your child's homework, that's one thing. But, not "helping" seems a little bit cruel. As a teacher, I WANT parents being involved with homework to understand what their children are learning, and making sure the homework actually gets attempted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #227  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

there, their, they're
your, you're

I saw this on a published (I guess that's what they are called) not a handmade card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 PM   #228  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

God bless!
I just had a phone discussion with my sister about this a couple minutes ago and she brought up an important point. Perhaps the teacher didn't want her to correct her mistakes so the teacher was able to assess the student's needs and where her mistakes are. I can agree with that and admit that I probably jumped the gun. I guess not having children of my own means that I don't/wouldn't think of all the different scenarios. However, once the problem areas are identified, the parents should step in and be allowed to help their children learn the material.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #229  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
Scary! If they meant you shouldn't be doing your child's homework, that's one thing. But, not "helping" seems a little bit cruel. As a teacher, I WANT parents being involved with homework to understand what their children are learning, and making sure the homework actually gets attempted.
I used to teach also, and was surprised (to say the least) that they didn't want parents helping their children - not doing, but helping. We thought it was ridiculous, since I always wanted the parents of my students to take an interest in their homework. (Sorry to go off topic a bit in this thread.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #230  
Glitter Queen

There was a time when misspelled words, etc. bothered me but 7 months ago I had a stroke at 31 and now I often misspell or even write the wrong thing. I've looked directly at something and called it something completely different. It's one of the reasons I avoid posting online as much as possible and have become a person of fewer words. Many people never stop to consider these things. I didn't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #231  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndcordovView Post
There was a time when misspelled words, etc. bothered me but 7 months ago I had a stroke at 31 and now I often misspell or even write the wrong thing. I've looked directly at something and called it something completely different. It's one of the reasons I avoid posting online as much as possible and have become a person of fewer words. Many people never stop to consider these things. I didn't.
I have a close friend whose 40 year old husband had a stroke, and I remember how difficult it was for them both during his recovery. Lightning strikes and your life changes in an instant.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts in this post - especially since you usually avoid posting. We all need reminding that our ways of looking at something depend entirely on where we ourselves are when we look.

I'm so sorry you had this happen to you, and you have my best wishes for continued recovery.

PS Please keep posting.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #232  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I second that! Hugs to you ndcordov. Thanks for posting your view.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #233  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeedubyaView Post
I second that! Hugs to you ndcordov. Thanks for posting your view.
Hugs from me too, and you are so right- people can be quick to judge, and not consider anything but their own judgement- thanks for making us all realise we need to stop and think sometimes.:smile:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #234  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

I find some of these annoying as well, but I must admit I'm guilty of using "embellies" when I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. I'm also guilty of not listing supplies on cards I've uploaded to the gallery simply because I use the bulk upload feature and - again - I've been too lazy to type all that stuff out.

The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. Come on people, it has a silent "t". It irritates me so much that I won't watch news shows where the news anchors mispronounce this word. They're suppose to be educated people. How can you mispronounce a simple word like "often". So this follows that if I'm watching someone's You Tube tutorial, I immediately click it off if they mispronouce words - especially this one.

Ok that's my rant/pet peeve...
Actually both pronunciations are acceptable. Look it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2010, 07:34 PM   #235  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippysueView Post
Actually both pronunciations are acceptable. Look it up.
I agree. It would annoy me to no end to hear "often" pronounced without the T.

And to those talking about how strokes affect spelling and pronunciation. Thank you for sharing that. It's just another reminder that we don't know the full story when we see a post full of misspelled words!

So thank you for sharing that. You have shown me another area where I can improve myself

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 AM   #236  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, I just have to chime in here and inform y'all of something you might not have thought about. I happen to be deaf, and even after years of speech therapy, there are going to be words that I won't know how to pronounce. Case in point:

You all know who Cher is, right (from Sonny and Cher)? Well, according to how this is spelled, I always said "chair" cuz that's the way it's supposed to be said. It wasn't until years later, a friend was laughing at me and I finally pinned her down and asked her about it. She explained to me it sounds more like "sherrrr" - something I never would have known simply because I can't hear it.

So please don't think I am lazy or dumb because I say things funny from time to time, okay? :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #237  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curly ChickView Post
As the mother of 2 (well almost 1 as ds will be 20) teenagers, I can say that 'Whatever' and 'my bad' are definitely last year. Now everything is 'epic' as in 'Dude, that was epic!'. Sigh...

Pamela
HAHA! Too funny.
As I have told my husband before... I am NOT looking forward to the time when I have 3 teenage boys in the house. When the youngest turns 13, the older two will be 15 and 17. LOL

Hugs mama. You need some prayers over there? :giggle:

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #238  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post
Well, I just have to chime in here and inform y'all of something you might not have thought about. I happen to be deaf, and even after years of speech therapy, there are going to be words that I won't know how to pronounce. Case in point:

You all know who Cher is, right (from Sonny and Cher)? Well, according to how this is spelled, I always said "chair" cuz that's the way it's supposed to be said. It wasn't until years later, a friend was laughing at me and I finally pinned her down and asked her about it. She explained to me it sounds more like "sherrrr" - something I never would have known simply because I can't hear it.

So please don't think I am lazy or dumb because I say things funny from time to time, okay? :-)
OH yeah, that's totally different!!! I can honestly say I have never (and would never) be annoyed at a deaf (or hearing impaired if you want me to be PC) person mispronouncing words. I mean, if you can't hear, then how can you be expected to know how to say it? KWIM?

My 5 yr old is in speech therapy. He had terrible ear infections constantly from the age of 1 until the age of 2. Since that is the time when most children are REALLY listening to language to learn how to speak, he literally could not speak properly. He would repeat words the way they sounded to him. And since he couln't hear properly, he couldn't speak properly.

I got so tired of people saying to me (when DS would try to say something and end up pointing and grunting out of frustration) "Oh I would make him SAY what he wanted." or "You should really MAKE him actually ASK for it." That really REALLY made me mad!!!

He's been in speach therapy for over a year now. He's MUCH better, but there are still times I have to ask him to repeat something a dozen times and still end up saying "Honey, I'm sorry. I can't understand you."

So, from the mother of a child who kindof started off as hearing impaired... I totally get where you are coming from on that!!!!

Off topic question.... can you lip read? If so, how difficult was it to learn? Was it something that kindof came naturally, like learning how to speak does? Or was it something you had to work at? And what is your bigest pet peeve regarding how hearling people treat or react to you? Or something we do that irks you that we may not realize is a pet peeve to deaf people?

Thanks for putting up with me

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:41 AM   #239  
Kookie Creator

Default !

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbrownView Post

Another question.... does it irriate you if you are signing, and someone is staring... like is it considered eaves dropping? Or butting in on a private conversation?

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #240  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 590 Likes on 242 Posts

Quote:

HAHA! Too funny.
As I have told my husband before... I am NOT looking forward to the time when I have 3 teenage boys in the house. When the youngest turns 13, the older two will be 15 and 17. LOL

Hugs mama. You need some prayers over there? :giggle:

God bless!
That was me, the summer of 2009. Everyone was home all summer, pretty much, four teens and a seven year old. By noon each day I wanted to scream, they pushed me to my last nerve, starting with the first few days school let out. Then I figured out that's why people drink. This summer was much better -- I didn't lose it until mid-July!
Hang in there -- they move out eventually!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes