Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #81  
clean and krafty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I find some of these annoying as well, but I must admit I'm guilty of using "embellies" when I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. I'm also guilty of not listing supplies on cards I've uploaded to the gallery simply because I use the bulk upload feature and - again - I've been too lazy to type all that stuff out.

The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. Come on people, it has a silent "t". It irritates me so much that I won't watch news shows where the news anchors mispronounce this word. They're suppose to be educated people. How can you mispronounce a simple word like "often". So this follows that if I'm watching someone's You Tube tutorial, I immediately click it off if they mispronouce words - especially this one.

Ok that's my rant/pet peeve...
wow- I just gave my kids a speech on enunciating words, and I was taught to pronounce each say Often using the "T" as in OFF-TEN.
Maybe it's a regional thing as most people I know say it this way.

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #82  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
Should be losing.....Sorry, just had to point it out!
lol-I am a spelling nut in every day life, but in regards to forums, etc I let it go. Otherwise, I would go crazy!

Doesn't everyone have spell check? Doesn't the red line show up underneath when posting? I have slight OCD issues, so I always assume it's just me and try to let go of the misspellings!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #83  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftsView Post
For me, it's exclamation points!!! Have you noticed them lately?!!!! I read a blog a while ago that didn't use a single period in an entire post!! Every sentence ended with at least one exclamation point, usually more!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!!!!!!!!!
I so know what you mean!!!!!!!!!!!
it's such a bad habit!!!!!!!!!!!!

;)
I myself am guilty of this and am currently working on it. <---- no exclamation used.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:13 AM   #84  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by willosmamaView Post
wow- I just gave my kids a speech on enunciating words, and I was taught to pronounce each say Often using the "T" as in OFF-TEN.
Maybe it's a regional thing as most people I know say it this way.
lol, see, it's because we are in the wild wild west of Washington.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:22 AM   #85  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvalouView Post
lol, see, it's because we are in the wild wild west of Washington.
No, I'm from Atlanta Georgia and Tennessee and Louisiana and I pronounce the "t". I don't think I know of anyone around me that doesn't say the "t" in often. And I live in Nebraska now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #86  
Stampin' Fool

Oh and it's "grosgrain" or "gros-grain" ribbon. And it's French which is why the "s" is silent. Gross grain sounds like something that's just not pleasant.

I will say this though. I cannot, for the life of me, say the word "ruin". It comes out sounding like "rurn". And when I ruin a shirt or something, it comes out like "rurnt". Now, my DD asked her uncle to say the word and golly gee whiz, he says it the same way I do. So I am not alone in the world. And both of us are educated. So sometimes it's just what you grow up listening to. Both of our grandparents said "rurn".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:31 AM   #87  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Should be losing.....Sorry, just had to point it out!
Ah, you got me! My dad and I used to try catch each other making mistakes like this. I guess that's where I get it from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:41 AM   #88  
Kookie Creator

I consider myself an educated person, and I have lived all over the US and overseas, and I've always heard often pronounced "off-ten." I will also say that I live in the South and one of the running jokes around my office is how easy it is to tell how long someone has lived in this area...if you can still understand them when they speak, then they are the "new guy/gal." Love the southern accent! LOL!

had to say something about the abbreviations...I believe someone else posted that they don't use the names of their family and friends on open forums, I am the same way. I rarely mention my own name unless asked (not axxed...my pet peeve). I will never use my family's names here or friends unless they are SCS members and have chosen to publicly use their name. I've had scary experiences from previous forums with people walking up to me in public (that I had never met) who knew my name and could speak fluently about my private life. I considered it a lesson learned and moved on from there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #89  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm just sitting here laughing at some of these replies! LOL

My craft related peeve is this: some evil craft fairy keeps messing up my studio while I'm sleeping and while I'm at work. When I go in to start stamping a card, I have to spend 10 minutes cleaning up after that dadgummed fairy before I can play. She's a quick little thing, too, because I can never seem to catch her! Hmph!

Anyone know where her sister is - the cleaning fairy??

BTW - those of you who can't stand "embellies" - don't hate me! LOL I'm one of the gals on the Belli Challenge DT. Hee hee hee!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #90  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
#2: gross grain ribbon(is supposed to be pronounced "grow" grain... NO /s/ SOUND). Folks mispronounced it twice at Regionals in Baltimore!

I learned something new today. I have always heard it pronounced as gross-grain. Never knew the "s" was silent. Thanks for informing me.

Trish
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:51 AM   #91  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by laadeedaaView Post
I've had scary experiences from previous forums with people walking up to me in public (that I had never met) who knew my name and could speak fluently about my private life. I considered it a lesson learned and moved on from there.
WOW, how scary is that! I try not to use anyone's first name unless I see it in their signature line. And I will never use my children's names either. When I was writing my post for the Scrapbox entry awhile back I had to come up with a story that didn't use my children's names. I ended up using names like: princess, prince, elder princess child, royal pet dog, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:52 AM   #92  

Quote:

Originally Posted by mouseprintsView Post
I learned something new today. I have always heard it pronounced as gross-grain. Never knew the "s" was silent. Thanks for informing me.

Trish
Me too, I never knew I was pronouncing it wrong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 AM   #93  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by hawkView Post
post # 64 I had to giggle a little at your comment about texting shorthand when I looked at your user name. Seems things bother us more when other people do them than it does when we do those things ourselves. ;)

Actually, I said in my post that I was referring to forum postings. And no, I'm quite certain I do not do that. Now, user names, I've probably got a whole set of pet peeves about those, , but shorthand isn't one of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #94  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
No, I'm from Atlanta Georgia and Tennessee and Louisiana and I pronounce the "t". I don't think I know of anyone around me that doesn't say the "t" in often. And I live in Nebraska now.
I'm from NE and currently live in NE, but I have also lived in TN and MO and I've heard it both ways. Both ways are considered "correct" as well.

I always notice grammar mistakes (I'm a Language Arts major), but it doesn't just kill me to see them. I know I'm guilty of typos and accidentally spelling things incorrectly as well.
The little mistakes I see the most are things like:
suppose to instead of supposed to
your instead of you're - as in your so kind, your a doll...
Their instead of there and vice versa
Viola or Walla instead of voil� - viola always makes me giggle as that is a musical instrument! :grin:

I also do not like blogs with music. They often mess up my browsers or take forever to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 11:01 AM   #95  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
Interesting thread.... I guess I am not bothered by most of these things.

However, I do have one pet peeve. I don't like to see the same card design with a slight variation of that card posted 4, 5, 6, and so on times in the gallery. The only thing that has changed is a different color ink/CS, another stamp from the same set (for example the ornaments), or a different strip of ribbon or DSP. I get it -- seeing 6 different variations does not inspire me anymore than the first post (if that inspired me). If someone does this on their blog it doesn't bother me because it is their blog but I don't like to see it on the forum galleries.
Oh, no! I'm so guilty of this. I usually upload a group photo of my cards (when I'm making them similar), but then I think maybe someone would want to see a close up picture of each card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 PM   #96  
Pearl-ExPert

Maybe it is different here...but often does not have a silent t if pronounced correctly. I would be more annoyed for people to swallow the letter!

Michelle
who gets annoyed with the state of spelling and things like.....fill-um for film!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I find some of these annoying as well, but I must admit I'm guilty of using "embellies" when I'm too lazy to type out the whole word. I'm also guilty of not listing supplies on cards I've uploaded to the gallery simply because I use the bulk upload feature and - again - I've been too lazy to type all that stuff out.

The one thing that really annoys me, and this is in general, when I hear people mispronounce words. What is that most people are mispronouncing the word "often" these days. Come on people, it has a silent "t". It irritates me so much that I won't watch news shows where the news anchors mispronounce this word. They're suppose to be educated people. How can you mispronounce a simple word like "often". So this follows that if I'm watching someone's You Tube tutorial, I immediately click it off if they mispronouce words - especially this one.

Ok that's my rant/pet peeve...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 12:36 PM   #97  
Pearl-ExPert

Ok.... I just have to say it....still reading the replies....but.....

loose....is opposite of tight....

lose....you cannot find something....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #98  
Pearl-ExPert

My biggest peeve:

The total newcomer signing up for a pyramid-type selling arrangement immediately turning around to "share" their expertise and skill.

mmm...

I dislike incorrect spelling, but it happens even to the best when the fingers move out of sync. with the mind. There are good spell checks out there we all should take advantage of. I am fairly certain there is one called "iespell" which can be used in places such as this forum.

To the Canadian lass, can't you change your spelling default? I have. I have no wish to spell any other way, other than "Australian" spelling.

Music on blogs equates to an exit from me, never to return. It is ultra annoying.

The loose for lose, your instead of you're, to instead of too, but also the prolly for probably and walla for voil�, I personally find annoying. In saying that, I am known to have a love affair with words, so I just groan inwardly and keep reading. I also sit and fervently hope I taught my students enough for them to remember the differences in those common ones!

Grosgrain should be "grow-grain" in pronunciation, no matter where you live.

The security code on blogs is an inconvenience. Does it really keep the "unwanted" out?

The lack of information on uploads is a tad thoughtless as SCS has asked for a few details to be added. Doesn't take long to whip up a couple of words. Can't see a problem. I don't need an essay. Just a few words with materials and maybe technique would do.

That's about all I can remember to reply to.

It has been an interesting thread to read through.

Thanks,
Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:50 PM   #99  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by shellpoleView Post
To the Canadian lass, can't you change your spelling default? I have. I have no wish to spell any other way, other than "Australian" spelling.
If I knew how, I would love to do so, but I have searched endlessly for somewhere to do this. The only options it gives me is English (U.S.) and English (U.K.). Since I live 5 minutes from the U.S. and about 10 hours from the U.K., I stick with English U.S. I just have to keep adding my Canadian words to the dictionary. Even funnier though - my husband's name is Onorio (northern Italian origin), but Word keeps wanting to change it to odorize!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:57 PM   #100  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandmamichelfView Post
I agree with you... I lived in England for 3 years and even there, I never heard anyone say often without the T sound.

I have a neighbor that grew up in New York and lived there until his mid 50's and then moved here to Washington State and he uses the T sound also.

So all in all, it sure is not anything that would "peeve" me off to hear it either way. If I did hear it without the T, I would just think it was someone who talked to fast to say a word correctly.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 01:59 PM   #101  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

If I knew how, I would love to do so, but I have searched endlessly for somewhere to do this. The only options it gives me is English (U.S.) and English (U.K.). Since I live 5 minutes from the U.S. and about 10 hours from the U.K., I stick with English U.S. I just have to keep adding my Canadian words to the dictionary. Even funnier though - my husband's name is Onorio (northern Italian origin), but Word keeps wanting to change it to odorize!!!
The English (UK) version is what Canadians use as that's where it originated
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:07 PM   #102  
Rubber Obsessor

Here in the UK the 't' is heard in often as it is in chaste. If the 't' is not sounded then those people are considered to be talking sloppily. Other imports that are annoying are pitcher instead of picture; sez instead of says; bin instead of been; lecher - a not very nice man -is now being said instead of lecture Most irritating.

Woohoo Canada and Australia keep to favour, colour, flavour, centre, metre, etc. Hadn't realised until recently that Canada retained the 'u'.

We are also noticing that the weather forecasters particularly are now saying Inglund (England) and swallowing the 't' in Scotland.

I am guilty, in forums, of using DH, DD, etc because their names are private to them and not for me to bandy around unless I have their permission to do so. I won't even post pictures of my family on my blog unless I have their permission.

It seems that we are all a cranky bunch

Lynn x

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #103  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyRView Post
The English (UK) version is what Canadians use as that's where it originated
Well I was going to say that but thought I might be considered too rude

Lynn x

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #104  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by rusticusView Post
Well I was going to say that but thought I might be considered too rude

Lynn x
I hope I didn't come across as being rude!! Just thought I'd mention it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #105  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow - this has been a very interesting thread to read!! I must say that I stand convicted of using too many exclamation points But I am a 'High I' personality, and that's just what I do!! (I'm a walking exclamation point in real life LOL )

To be perfectly honest, there are a few things that I don't personally like ('embellies', children with no faces, blog music, and a few others) but I really don't throw a tantrum when I see them!! If someone likes using a certain technique, word, etc, that won't turn me off from them. For example if someone posts a gorgeous card here on SCS but doesn't fill in the recipe box, I'll still comment on it, favorite it, and CASE it. I'm not a huge fan of the super-duper distressed look, but some of my all-time favorite tags have been re-created from Tim Holtz's blog. Do I make a card/tag exactly the same? No, but I'm not going to toss the whole project simply because the person used the word 'deets'!! You never know what good things you might miss by becoming aggravated by petty nothings!!

Anyway I'll get off my soapbox ;) Just my 2 cents - it's interesting to see what other people have to say!!! (Sorry about all those exclamation points, but I honestly cannot finish a sentence without at least 2!!! To each his own...)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #106  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

After reading all the posts, there are a few I agree with. Especially not posting details about a card uploaded to the gallery, or a blog. It bothers me to no end when I'm gallery gazing or blog surfing and I see a stamp or DP that I LOVE but I have no idea where to look for it. If after several hours of searching I still can't find it, I usually PM the person to ask, but more often than not I don't get a reply. Very frustrating. I don't care if every little embellishment is listed, but mention the main stamp and patterned paper at the very least!

Also, I don't like when 'scrappy' is spelled 'Scrapy'. <----IEspell underlines it red! I can understand if someone misspells it in a post or email, but there's an online scrapbook store that spells it's name wrong!! I don't get it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #107  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittie747View Post

3. My biggest pet peeve of all is when someone writes and asks me a "how to" question about my project when I have either clearly described it in detail in my gallery description or invited people to click on my link and come to my blog for my tutorial.
Or, they are just assuming you haven't linked to the "actual" post like so many don't! ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 06:05 PM   #108  
Stampin' Fool

Default pet peeves

My pet peeve, speaking of mispronounced words, is when Matt Lauer says, "fo ward" with no "r" sound. That's probably one of those regional differences, but it still bugs me. As for other pet peeves, I just don't have time to list them all here. What can I say, I'm a cranky perfectionist - that's a bad combination!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:19 PM   #109  
Rubber Obsessor

Hmmm, pet peeve...music in blogs, especially the ones that starts automatically. Or when someone leaves a reply in the forum, which they recommend something or refer to something, but doesn't leave a link for the readers to get there. Okay, that's all. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #110  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I don't like when I'm looking at a card and then there is a link to their blog for more information and the I click on that link and I can't find the card. In other words, I wish more people would post the actual link with the card info and not just their blog address.

Oooooh, good point, I never thought of that! I'll do that from now on. :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM   #111  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Now, if the question was "What is your biggest craft related pet peeve?", then I would have to agree with lbirus on her first point.
The original post was

Quote:

What in the crafting/stamping world drives you crazy? What do you find really annoying?
I guess crafting/stamping should have been in the title. Sorry about that, I've really enjoyed reading all the posts though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #112  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by barb smithView Post
I hate it when they say check my blog and then they don't have much more information on the blog than what was originally posted.
YES! I have seen some really cute things that I liked, then gone to the link and I can't find the silly thing!

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

My latest pet peeve is the phrase "My bad"...that some people are using. It sounds so uneducated to me - it just grates on my nerves.

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #114  
Kookie Creator

Incorrect english grates on my nerves.. little things I can let go.... but about a month ago I heard someone say "I been knowin' him for about 5 years now." It annoys me when someone says "I seen...." instead of "I saw."... "I seen that restaurant on the way home yesterday." Or something similiar. I just hate it when people sound uneducated, and then wonder why they can't find a job or why no one but their "homies" take them seriously. LOL

A HUGE pet peeve of mine.. is when I see someone with their pants down below their butt. I'm not talking just sagging a little.. I mean LITERALLY their pants are fastened UNDERNEATH their butt cheeks, with their boxers hanging out, riding somewhat low, with their tighties poking out above the waist band of both boxers and jeans... I mean SERIOUSLY?!?!?!?

When my step sister started dating, my father told one of her dates that if he ever showed up with baggy pants on again, my dad would use his industrial stapler to fasten his pants to his waist to ensure that they would stay on for the duration of the evening. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #115  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi KimmerlyView Post
My latest pet peeve is the phrase "My bad"...that some people are using. It sounds so uneducated to me - it just grates on my nerves.
Do you remember the phrase "It's da bomb." ? My sister used to say that ALL THE TIME and it drove me batty! As well as my parents.

God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #116  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Music that plays automatically when I go to a website or blog - especially when the last person using the computer before me left the speakers on - LOUD!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:43 PM   #117  
Matboard Maniac

My biggest general pet peeve is someone saying they could care less. They mean they couldn't care less. It makes me giggle when they use it the wrong way, since they said something the complete opposite of what they were intending.

As far as crafting, the word bling grates my nerves. I admit I have used it, only because that is the product name of a few rhinestones out now. But, most of the time you aren't using bling you are using a rhinestone. Just because you want to give it a new name doesn't mean you were successful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #118  
Glitter Guru

Received 862 Likes on 513 Posts

I agree with the ones who posted about things going missing. I spent forever looking for that stupid glue tonight. I think I spend three/fourths of my life looking for stuff! Turned out, I had put it in a cabinet with the other glues, instead of with my craft stuff! UGH! I stamped a jounaling stamp onto cardstock and cut out two of them yesterday. One has dissapeared and has never been seen again. Fortunately, I didn't need it. I could have stamped another had I needed it, but I probably would have wasted buckoo time looking for it. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 03:06 AM   #119  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by MM2002View Post
Do you remember the phrase "It's da bomb." ? My sister used to say that ALL THE TIME and it drove me batty! As well as my parents.

God bless!
Oh my friend still says that!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2010, 07:21 AM   #120  
Stampin' Fool

I'm guilty of using "my bad" quite frequently as is my boss who is the Director of Special Education. I also say "I could care less" because, in essence, I COULD care less but I don't. I just don't care enough. I know exactly what I'm saying.

I don't like music on blogs either. I also don't like the word "bling" but there are so many people who use it (not just in the crafting world) that it's become one of those words that defines jewels/jewelry. Annoying.

And the pants below the butt cheeks? Yes, that just makes me cringe when I see it. Shoot fire, they can barely walk when they do that.
Reply With Quote Likes