Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your biggest organizing delima?

What are the top five items or areas in your stamp room or stamp area that endlessly give you a fit when you try to come up with a way to keep it all organized?

Also do you sometimes find your self spending more time organizing your stuff than using it?

I always seem to be organizing and reorganizing my area. I guess I am tryig to find the perfect solution? Also, everytime I add someting new- big or small, I've got to adjust what I have to make room for it, so... more organizing!

Is it just me or am I a little OCD?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:05 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

I do the same thing..lol. Constantly changing things - I would say right now my biggest challenge is organzing my paper scraps and how to organize all my coloring mediums - ie. prismas pencils, koh-in-oor pencils, markers, h2o's. etc.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:08 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

For me, it's organizing my patterned paper. I organize by color, but so many sheets are multi-colored...then the scraps are everywhere...it's a constant battle.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

My main dilemma is ribbon! I can't seem to find a good way to organize it and have quick to access to it. I use it on every card so I need it to be user friendly!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Oh and scraps too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:35 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

My biggest problem is organizing my paper. I'm like Annie, I have so many sheets of patterned paper it just seems to get out of hand.

Kathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Ribbon is a constant problem for me. I would also like to organize my paper scraps better as well. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my setup.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:10 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

My problem is I can't find enough things to organize :-D I love it and it is so a sickness. Here are a few Ideas...

For pens, pencils and markers. rail systems are great I use a system I bought at Ikea in the Kitchen area HERE is a picture.

For ribbon I use old fashioined wood clothes pins I get 20 for a $1 at the dollar store and glass candy jars from walmart for about $5 each. HERE is a picture.

For Scraps I use the plastic carts on wheels. I have a draw for each color using the ROY G BV order plus white, neutrals, small and large su patterns and small and large non su pattern papers.

Hope this Helps, I have gone through many systems over the years and FINALLY have it the way I like it! Ikea is a great resource with great prices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:13 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paper.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #10  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love my ribbon organization, but i don't have absolute tons, so it works for a small collection. i have much more ribbon, but they're all on cards like these, but in a bigger box now ;)

what i need is a better way to organize my paper scraps. i save them, but rarely use them. i also need a way to organize my stamped images... another thing i rarely use.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Paper! I tend to spend my time organizing it by pattern, then getting annoyed with that, and doing it by color, then going back to pattern, then color....I can't make up my mind which works best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:33 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Patterned Paper
Ribbon
Small embellishments-eyelets
Jolee's stickers
Punches

I think that about sums it up. I have buttons and eyelets organized by color in compartments but want to organize all my embellishments by color rather than by product. I think I'd get more use out of everything that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow your studio is fantastic. I am off to Ikea on Saturday as i'm replacing my bedroom furniture to make a craft corner. I've been looking at those rails and cups you hook on as i thought it was a great idea for pens etc. Your room has inspired me to look for a few other bits and bobs while i'm there.

For ribbon (scrap bits) i am planning on using one of those rails and i've ordered some clip it up clips which i'll have along it to hang the ribbon up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by stigmom6View Post
My problem is I can't find enough things to organize :-D I love it and it is so a sickness. Here are a few Ideas...

For pens, pencils and markers. rail systems are great I use a system I bought at Ikea in the Kitchen area HERE is a picture.

For ribbon I use old fashioined wood clothes pins I get 20 for a $1 at the dollar store and glass candy jars from walmart for about $5 each. HERE is a picture.

For Scraps I use the plastic carts on wheels. I have a draw for each color using the ROY G BV order plus white, neutrals, small and large su patterns and small and large non su pattern papers.

Hope this Helps, I have gone through many systems over the years and FINALLY have it the way I like it! Ikea is a great resource with great prices!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:05 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Patti's ideas - just don't have the space for them.

I'd say:
Punches - no space to put them on a rack on the wall, which would be great
Scraps - I'd love a little file box for them - that might happen!
Ribbon - I have the magnetic spice tins that hang on a metal paper tray that's hung on the wall - but now I added a bunch of those beautiful Papertrey ribbons. So far, they are in a storage bin. If I didn't have four cats, I'd go for the "gutter" system!

I do like to organize and the good thing about re-organizing often is that I always know what I have!! And today I'm getting ready for a "time to be reasonable" stamp sale on BST and made some space which always helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I must admit to just plain having too much stuff to organize!!!! I already have two walls of shelving. floor to ceiling, that are chock full of supplies! I have 700+ punches stored on trays, sorted by size and theme. Then I have cardstock and paper in vertical storage on the shelves. I have an entire HUGE tub of large scraps, sorted by color. See, I'm organized, but love to shop more than I can ever use it all! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

You are not alone, LOL! I love organizing stuff and reorganize regularly. The hardest thing for me to get satisfied with is all the little stuff...embellishments, primas, brads, etc. I did what Stacy Julian recommends in Big Picture Scrapbooking and organized them all by color in sterilite drawers (love this!), but organizing the stuff in each drawer is driving me nuts. The really little stuff like brads is in locking bead boxes...which I love. But the slightly larger stuff, the stickles, the glitter, the primas, etc.,...they move around in the drawer and it's sort of annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

DEFINITELY PATTERN PAPERr!!! I have so much, although I don't think you could ever have too much, and like everyone else have tried everything. I have lots of those 3 drawer 12 x 12 sterlite drawers from wal mart so they are pretty much all in there with no organization whatsoever.
For my scraps, I have one of those plastic milk carton things and have a hanging file folder for each one of the SU colors. I just put my scraps in there and always go to that first before using a full sheet. Now I'm hooked on Papertrey so I'll probably have to get another for that paper. Must have all colors!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh yes - Prima flowers. Mine are all just in a box and I dig through hoping to find something I can use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:14 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
You are not alone, LOL! I love organizing stuff and reorganize regularly. The hardest thing for me to get satisfied with is all the little stuff...embellishments, primas, brads, etc. I did what Stacy Julian recommends in Big Picture Scrapbooking and organized them all by color in sterilite drawers (love this!), but organizing the stuff in each drawer is driving me nuts. The really little stuff like brads is in locking bead boxes...which I love. But the slightly larger stuff, the stickles, the glitter, the primas, etc.,...they move around in the drawer and it's sort of annoying.
Susan, maybe you could try cutting down some chipboard or cardboard strips to act like dividers in your drawers. Cardboard might be better since it's thicker and much stiffer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Susan, maybe you could try cutting down some chipboard or cardboard strips to act like dividers in your drawers. Cardboard might be better since it's thicker and much stiffer.
Good idea, Betsy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:27 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
. ..I did what Stacy Julian recommends in Big Picture Scrapbooking and organized them all by color in sterilite drawers (love this!), but organizing the stuff in each drawer is driving me nuts. The really little stuff like brads is in locking bead boxes...which I love. But the slightly larger stuff, the stickles, the glitter, the primas, etc.,...they move around in the drawer and it's sort of annoying.
not sure if this would work for you, but we go through lots of microwave food, and I've started saving the black trays the food is in to drawer dividers -- only works for shorter items or ones you are going to lay down, but I'm a little OCD and like the containers to have the same look and feel
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:17 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I constantly organize and re-organize. There are very few things that I have stopped organizing. I like the way I have all my embellishments. They are sorted by colour into clear tubs, but all the items aren't just thrown in (well they're not suppose to be). The ribbon is wound around 2" x 6" strips of chipboard and fastened with paperclips and the eyelets/brads/buttons are in shuttlecups (the SU embellishment containers) sorted by shape/item/shade of colour. It works quite well. I need a blue embellishment I pick up the blue tub, and see what I have. I don't forget about those buttons, specialty brads or whatever that I bought eons ago. The rubbermaid bins cost $5 each at Walmart (of course US Prices are probably cheaper), the chipboard came in the back of my page refills from CM, and the shuttlecups cost about 0.50 apiece (www.tidycrafts.com).

My markers are driving me nuts. I don't like the storage thingy that the copics came with, or the Zig marker storage.

I've got my scraps stored in large ziplock bags within a milk crate. It sits on the floor beside my chair so they are handy. It's partially working. I may have to donate my stash and start over so I don't get so frustrated & overwhelmed. Most of what is in my scraps are the cheap, yucky cardstock that I was using before I figured out how much easier SU paper was to use!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:50 AM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Default organizing paper scraps

Quote:

Originally Posted by guidinggirlView Post
I do the same thing..lol. Constantly changing things - I would say right now my biggest challenge is organzing my paper scraps and how to organize all my coloring mediums - ie. prismas pencils, koh-in-oor pencils, markers, h2o's. etc.
I have one of the bigger accordian folders from Creative Memories and I just stick my scraps in there by color. Pattern paper is another whole issue!:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:55 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Default ribbon storage

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniehtView Post
My main dilemma is ribbon! I can't seem to find a good way to organize it and have quick to access to it. I use it on every card so I need it to be user friendly!
I bought two of those plastic ribbon storage boxes from Oriental Trading. They work ok - not great. All the ribbons are line up on a spool and come out through holes in the side of the box. Problems are that you have to take the whole thing out if your roll in the middle needs replacing and you can't put in big rolls becasue the box is not big enough and the side holes are too small for fat ribbon. That complaining aside, it's worked well for me and my ribbon is not tangly any more!

The other thing I use for my ribbon that doesn't fit in the box is a wire hanger. I unwound the top, slid the ribbon on and then rewound the top and wrapped masking tape on it. Those ribbons hang on the edge of a shelf in my craft room (which is really more like a big closet!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:57 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Default organizing paper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowkat1283View Post
My biggest problem is organizing my paper. I'm like Annie, I have so many sheets of patterned paper it just seems to get out of hand.

Kathy
I bought some metal rack/shelve things at Hobby Lobby. They have 26 shelves (I think) so it really has made my paper storage so much easier! They cost about $60, so be sure to wait for a coupon!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Right now my top 2 organizational disasters are reinkers and Wish-RAK items. The reinkers are loose in my desk drawer falling all over the place. I've been to several stores trying to find a small container to keep them in, but nothing is just the right height. With the Wish-RAKs I can't decide what to keep them in, how to sort, plus keep them identified by who sent them. Help!!

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #27  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincimomView Post
Right now my top 2 organizational disasters are reinkers and Wish-RAK items. The reinkers are loose in my desk drawer falling all over the place. I've been to several stores trying to find a small container to keep them in, but nothing is just the right height. With the Wish-RAKs I can't decide what to keep them in, how to sort, plus keep them identified by who sent them. Help!!
at least for SU, Encore, and versamark refills, I found the the SU clamshells work well -- ESPECIALLY the divided ones for alphabets -- an entire color family fits in, and you can stack them on a shelf. I know you can't buy from SU anymore -- but I have seen posts with other sources.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

My biggest problem is ribbon. I just stuff them in bags by color/theme. Next would be my drawer full of pencils, markers, pop dots, and all other assorted junk. I also have a hard time with scraps of CS and patterned papers.
I think my whole small crafting space is a huge mess and needs some serious organization.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

My number one issue is with individual stamps! I had a great box for them, but now I have so many that I have to dump out the entire box to find what I want! I'm in the market for some good storage. I have some ideas, like maybe a small drawer box...?? We'll see! I also understand about the ribbon. I have one of those Rubbermaid Christmas ribbon boxes, and the spools come undone inside the box and wrapped around each other. The ends of the ribbon don't stay in the slot outside, either! :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 07:42 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Looking across at my craft table it is definitely scraps and some stamps on wooden blocks. I tend to remove most of the wooden blocks as I prefer unmounted.

Oh you would have to ask wouldn't you. I now feel duty bound to tidy it up ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ribbon. I've tried 2 systems and failed. I recently ordered some plastic lunch box type things with holes in them from oriental trading and will see if that works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Hey, last night it occurred to me to see if the drawer organizers from Target would fit in the 12x12 sterilite drawers. They DO! Those come in lots of sizes, have little rubber thingies on the bottom to keep from sliding around, and aren't too expensive. These might help hugely for storing the little things in those drawers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #33  
Inking Addict

My worst nightmare is my paper/card scraps. I save everything but it's too much hassle to go through all of my scraps which are in a big pastic
box so i go for a full sheet instead....................therefore creating more scraps..............................& so on.........& on................& on:(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 02:43 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by baa-me-chickView Post
My worst nightmare is my paper/card scraps. I save everything but it's too much hassle to go through all of my scraps which are in a big pastic
box so i go for a full sheet instead....................therefore creating more scraps..............................& so on.........& on................& on:(
I use a Cropper Hopper 7x12 accordion folder for cs scraps. They are divided into categories by the four color families, neutrals, in-colors, PTI white, other white. Another accordion holds pp and another for non-su cardstock. This really works well for me and keeps me USING my scraps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #35  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts
Smile Organizing horrors

My ribbon drives me crazy...right now I have a stuffed drawer in an Iris cart of ribbon rolled on the little white thingys from Cropper Hopper BUT can't see all the way to the back of the drawer and the drawers don't remove from the cart...Have another drawer full of ribbon on rolls, same problem. I would use it more if I could easily see.
My punches are also in drawers in IRIS carts...This works well because I can label and know right where they are.

I bought little jars from Pinkhedgehog Crafts for brads and to help with knowing what is in them----punched a hole in the lid and inserted whatever color/shape of brad was in the jar. If I use all of them up, I also use the one in the lid and then it is ready for a new set of whatevers. I have 100 jars for brads and I have allowed some eyelets to fill about six of them(I don't care for eyelets). I keep the little jars in a latching/layered craft storage contraption I bought at TArget....Love it have since bought another for teabag folding medallions, and two smaller ones for something I am sure I will need soon.

Reinkers-----right now they are in a recycled baby wipes container..It will hold about 30.....But,,,no way to tell what they are without picking them up and reading the label.....need a better way but don't know what it will be.

Paperscraps go into colored file folders by ROY G Biv and Neutrals B, Wh, G, Cream. If the file folder begins to bulge, I make punch creations one night while watching TV or movies. (Drives my DH nuts but I can't just sit in front of the TV). Plains and patterns go in same folders based on dominate color of the pattern(I don't really use much so that probably isn't a real lot of help)

anyway--interesting to see what others have done.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 03:29 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

It used to be a bunch of stamps were kept in a dresser a bit far from where I stamp at a desk (in the same room though) NOW I de-wooded them and put them in cd cases. MY BIGGEST headache is my inability to get rid of scraps in a fashionable way. I can't throw them away (unless they are smaller than a ATC)..and they just seem to mulitply like bunny rabbits. lol. AND my other big thing is my inability to keep my stamp desk cleaned up ...I get so creative that I make a huge mess and then get tired and cannot clean it up.

Second ? I at times spend more time that I want to organizing..but as soon as I am finished doing it THEN I want to play play play!

Cyndi

**What are the top five items or areas in your stamp room or stamp area that endlessly give you a fit when you try to come up with a way to keep it all organized?

**Also do you sometimes find your self spending more time organizing your stuff than using it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

i've seen a lot of you complain about ribbon. that is one area i'm satisfied with. here's my solution:
http://tobicrawford.blogspot.com/200...few-cards.html

My problems are:
Scraps- i have two different tubs (13x13 clear tubs with lids that stack) one is for large scraps (a couple cuts out of a full sheet) and one for little pieces..
cutters- where do i put them all??? right now they sit on a chair next to me (i scrap at a dining room table.
Cuttlebug/nestabilities stuff- right now it's all thrown in a drawer..
punches- i have thrown them on a wire rack in a big pile until i move into a place where i can have rails.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Eeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk! Scraps!!! My solid colored scraps are in gallon ziplock baggies in a huge tub. See:
Attached Thumbnails
What is your biggest organizing delima?-allees-scraps.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 PM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by anniehtView Post
I have been told I am very **** BUT I love storing my ribbon in the little cropper hopper embellishment boxes. It's time consuming to do at first and I do it as I watch TV but I wind up all the ribbon first, then put them in the CH boxes, then store them by color in those clear boxes for jewelry (after I cut the top off) and I have about 7 of them. Each box will easily hold 54!!! LOVE IT. Of course this is basically only good for the smaller ribbon but that's what I mostly have and it's wonderful. Especially when you go to a crop or need them quickly...just pull out the box and all your colors are right there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2008, 05:42 PM   #40  
Crimping Master

Default HOLY COW!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by punchaddictView Post
I must admit to just plain having too much stuff to organize!!!! I already have two walls of shelving. floor to ceiling, that are chock full of supplies! I have 700+ punches stored on trays, sorted by size and theme. Then I have cardstock and paper in vertical storage on the shelves. I have an entire HUGE tub of large scraps, sorted by color. See, I'm organized, but love to shop more than I can ever use it all! LOL
700 PUNCHES...I'd like to see that!!! I didn't think that many were made LOL
Reply With Quote Likes