Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

shop my stash.... perfectly said crafters !
John 3:16
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2019, 11:19 PM   #42  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoistracyView Post
4. Stop comparing myself to other crafters! It only depresses me and hurts my mojo.

I totally agree. When I compare myself to others it makes me want to give up. It creatively cripples me. I wish you luck on the journey I'm still taking. We'll get there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 04:49 AM   #43  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

My goal is to stash my new stuff and then use it before storing it. Problem with storing is I forget to use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 05:46 AM   #44  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I totally agree. When I compare myself to others it makes me want to give up. It creatively cripples me. I wish you luck on the journey I'm still taking. We'll get there.

I kept thinking about what you wrote and felt sad. What happens you when you look at others’ work? What do you say to yourself? (You don’t have to answer!)

There will always be crafters who are less experienced and more experienced than we are, with fewer skills and more skills, and yes, who do things that we can’t do or wouldn’t think of (dang it!) - but which can inspire us. And we can always learn more - to discover what fits us more - or less! - and to build on that. One step at a time, one card at a time.

(When I stick to one technique or one style card and repeat the technique or style, more ideas begin naturally flowing, changing one thing, then another, then another. But that’s just me.)

Your one card in your gallery is adorable - love the gazillion candles, ha! - and it would have taken a lot of work. So you’ve got it.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 07:46 AM   #45  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Where is the challenge your stash group? I don’t see it under swaps though that could be my tried eyes/brain. Thanks.

Beth

Challenge your stash swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 07:52 AM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
So, I clicked on the link (sniffle) and <sniffle> got told I don't have permission to see that page (sniffle) <sniffle>. How's come I can't go to challenge pages? (whine)<whine></whine></sniffle></sniffle>

Because it is under swaps you need to join the swap user group...check the join a group on the left side of the page under "Around the Site"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I can plan well for work and home, but planning too tightly for a year in crafting makes me feel panicky! Lol
My current goal that will roll into the new year is to invest in more classes and save craft money for restocking the items I use most. I also need to sell off or donate items I no longer use.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 07:05 PM   #48  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I am taking my daughters baby book apart and scrapping that, I want to get it finished before her birthday in March. Of course getting rid of clutter, and getting a little more organized. People roll their eyes when they step into my room, but I can usually put my finger on any one item in just a few minutes, just have to do a little digging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I kept thinking about what you wrote and felt sad. What happens you when you look at others’ work? What do you say to yourself? (You don’t have to answer!)
It makes me sad too when I read stampers feel what I call "the comparison mental block". It is crippling and confidence killer. I think over half of us that are on this forum have gone through it.

When I went through it was at a terrible time for paper crafting. I know some call it the greatest Golden time for crafting ever. I got back into stamping during the paper crafting boom. There was tons of tools, techniques and this and that and even more of this in our industry. Design Teams became an aggressive sport, lol.

I am not ragging on DT's. Promise! I am thinking of the evolution and the comments of comparison I have heard over the years.

Ladies do you remember back in the day where DT's was a small group of ladies for one company with their own distinct style showing off the cutest artistic cards that were simple to make and the stamp image was the focal point?

Early 2000's up to the recession it was like DT's changed completely overnight with companies sending these products to their DT that could fill a U-haul to complete one card. Then the poor DT's had to create that card for what the companies were trying to market. It was even over their own skills.

We were all trying to make these creations that were so alien to so many of us. I need to make each of my creations into a story. I couldn't do that with the 400 pieces of lace on my desk and the 200 tools it took to create my card. Oh, I had to find my stamp image that I colored with 50 coloring instruments to make it under the pile of all that.

I crashed and burned. I didn't have to do those kind of cards.. Nobody was telling me to do make those things. All that marketing got in my brain and I couldn't get it out. That was my mental block.

I thought something was wrong with me, lol. Then I saw some of my friends on DT's not just burn out but crash. I saw other girls say "I could never be her". I was like "No, baby doll you can't!" "You shouldn't want to be." Note- I am sure "Her" is very lovely and sweet but I think you all know what I mean. You need to be you and her needs to be her.

Turn off the marketing. That's what I did. It's great to have stampers you admire. Admire them with your style. I know all of us when we get our new stamp we see what we want to do with it. Then we see what everyone else is doing with it and then we freeze, forget what we want to do and then start comparing. I always tell paper crafters just create it because who you admire one day will say to you "How did you create that? I love it! I want to make it too!"

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 AM   #50  
Gallery Gazer

I think comparisons happen in every field, from art to zoology (had to come up with a “z”). For some it’s crippling, some inspiring, some not a big deal and some may never do it. But if it stops someone from doing what they would otherwise enjoy, or makes them enjoy it less, figuring a way out of the trap might bring more joy. Solutions may vary.

I’ve come to see that my basic style is similar to my fused glass style from the past. I follow paper pros and look at glass and other designs with that style. Never having done much art as a kid or young adult, and with not many years paper crafting, I’ll never get to where the card masters are and don’t aspire to.

Once in a blue moon I stumble upon something on my own before seeing it on line and that’s a kick. But ultimately I’m glad they’re so danged good, because I get to follow them and they help guide me. #grateful

Just my take. YMMV.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-06-2019 at 08:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 08:58 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

It's true that comparison is everywhere, but we don't have to fall into the trap. If there's something that you see that you want to attempt, do it. Keep in mind, though, that the thing you're attempting to duplicate was most likely NOT the first attempt, and cut yourself some slack for a learning curve. If you enjoy the process but aren't happy with the outcome, then it's probably worth your while to repeat the process as many times as it takes to be happy with the outcome. If you DON'T enjoy the process, who cares if you ever get good at it? One of my favorite quotes is "No one is you and that is your power". I will never, ever be happy making 3-D paper things (with occasional exceptions like bjeans' star boxes) or fancy-fold cards, so I just plain don't make them! I get angsty trying to make embellishments look good on a card, so I rarely use them. I adore looking at fussy cards with lots of layers and bits and bobs, but I'm not going to go there, most likely.

Typing all this out reminded me of another goal for the upcoming year (aren't you glad I came back to the original topic?): Try new techniques - like my unused gelli plate and my yet-to-be-touched Arteza watercolor brushes/markers/whatever. I have been more or less allergic to techniques up to now, but I think I'm ready to dip my toes in and see how I do.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #52  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post

We're all at different stages/levels with our creative skills. It takes time to develop your own style and hone your skills. I look at pieces I created 20 yrs ago and compare them to where I'm at today and think, I've come a long way, but it's all good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 09:10 AM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrahx2View Post
My goal is to stash my new stuff and then use it before storing it. Problem with storing is I forget to use it!

I'm the same way! I've just opened products I purchased last year along with items I forgot I had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 09:40 AM   #54  
Gallery Gazer

Thinking again about comparing, it can be fine to compare: She did such and such and look how much more depth and contrast is on hers as opposed to mine, so I’m going to try what she did! IOW is it an exploring/learning moment or a self put-down?

And Sue, those toes of yours reported they’ve been aching to get in that nice warm water. ;) Besides, what is a technique? It doesn’t have to be TECHNIQUE all caps or even initial capital T. Stamping is a technique. So is blending Oxides, using embossing folders or heat embossing. We’re already doing techniques so it’s just a matter of adding a new one. Lower case t.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 06:33 PM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting to see common themes from everyone!!

I definitely need to use my stash, and not bring more stuff in! And for 2020 I will make more card sets as gifts this year, and not hoard the cards I make, rather gift
them.

In 2020 I will refresh my blog and start posting regularly again, as well as post the cards I make on the forum here at SCS. I find a lot of joy looking at the gallery and sharing feedback, and have not done so in so long.

Look forward to enjoying all the various jous associated with my crafty addiction!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

There are so many techniques I want to try, but my 8-5pm job is getting in the way. I have 4 mths to go before I retire from civil service work and it can't get here fast enough! I'll continue with my volunteer work since I will be working at my leisure but I'll have more time to go crafty crazy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 08:20 PM   #57  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

This will take me more than a year.

Take online classes. Use my stash.
Use up my DP and never let it get that big again.
I LOVE looking at other's peoples work, but I need to spend much more time making myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 12:32 PM   #58  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Another goal on my list...
Condense, purge and organize storage shelves and drawers.

It's the purging that always stops me in my tracks, sigh. I get as far as putting extras into a box or bag, but then it sits there and sometimes I take it back out. I've been purging boxes and bags of fabric and yarn from my garage, and got rid of almost all of my Christmas decorations last year...but my papercrafting supplies just have a hold on me, eek!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 12:37 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Reading through these posts helped me solidify my crafty goals for 2020, so that's a good thing, right? Reminds me that I want to improve my coloring skills (especially in learning how to color hair and fur), and pull out some of my mixed media supplies to learn new techniques.

As someone else said, storing things away right after you get them means they remain forgotten and unused. I need to get over my tendency to hoard instead of use, and possibly pull out one new supply a month and make myself USE it!
Maybe I need to start a new thread where we can pat ourselves on the back whenever we use supply that we already have and have never used. Or old supply that has languished in our craft stash for years.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 12:49 PM   #60  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
It's the purging that always stops me in my tracks, sigh. I get as far as putting extras into a box or bag, but then it sits there and sometimes I take it back out. I've been purging boxes and bags of fabric and yarn from my garage, and got rid of almost all of my Christmas decorations last year...but my papercrafting supplies just have a hold on me, eek!
Karen

If it hasn't been used or touched in a 2 years, let it go (art mediums and tools excluded).
I'm letting go of 6x6 and 12x12 paper pads that I've used or pulled the select designs from the pack, 3D embellishments, wood mount rubber stamps, ink pads, and more... I get a good feeling when I lighten my load of craft supplies. I'll keep newer items which I will use within the year... There is always something new on market every season of the year to update and use in your projects.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #61  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

There is the Use It challenge, an ongoing one :
USEIT2019 Challenge Group - Splitcoaststampers. I imagine it will run again next year. I took part a few years ago and it was great, helped me make sure I used a lot of previously uninked stamps. I set myself a goal of four a month.

Quote:

Reading through these posts helped me solidify my crafty goals for 2020, so that's a good thing, right? Reminds me that I want to improve my coloring skills (especially in learning how to color hair and fur), and pull out some of my mixed media supplies to learn new techniques.

As someone else said, storing things away right after you get them means they remain forgotten and unused. I need to get over my tendency to hoard instead of use, and possibly pull out one new supply a month and make myself USE it!
Maybe I need to start a new thread where we can pat ourselves on the back whenever we use supply that we already have and have never used. Or old supply that has languished in our craft stash for years.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 01:36 PM   #62  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
If it hasn't been used or touched in a 2 years, let it go (art mediums and tools excluded).
I'm letting go of 6x6 and 12x12 paper pads that I've used or pulled the select designs from the pack, 3D embellishments, wood mount rubber stamps, ink pads, and more... I get a good feeling when I lighten my load of craft supplies. I'll keep newer items which I will use within the year... There is always something new on market every season of the year to update and use in your projects.

My problem is that I usually don't use something until I've had it for over a year! So now I'm going to try to use my supplies on a more regular basis. I actually don't buy the newest trends at all so that's not a temptation..it's stockpiling the basics or buying in multiples that get me.

I've more recently begun using those leftover 12x12 papers from stacks that I don't like anymore to make envelopes. I turn them with the blank side out, so I can write the address without using a label. That way I can skip buying envelopes unless I make cards to donate or gift.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2019, 02:08 PM   #63  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

My problem is that I usually don't use something until I've had it for over a year! So now I'm going to try to use my supplies on a more regular basis. I actually don't buy the newest trends at all so that's not a temptation..it's stockpiling the basics or buying in multiples that get me.

I've more recently begun using those leftover 12x12 papers from stacks that I don't like anymore to make envelopes. I turn them with the blank side out, so I can write the address without using a label. That way I can skip buying envelopes unless I make cards to donate or gift.

Karen

Making envelopes is a good idea for using up those 12x12 pads the way you described.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 12:24 AM   #64  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I keep boxes in my garage that I call trash to treasure. I keep them in the garage because I am always in the garage digging for something so I will grab out a piece of "trash" and create something several times a week. When I had all this stuff in my room I wouldn't use it. I don't know why. I think I put myself in a frame of mind that 12x12 paper is a tool and not a creation. Now, that my paper is out in the garage I actually use it. I go through my two boxes every six months and then it really goes out to donation bin. I have created a lot of beautiful items since I started doing this.

Plus, I have no pressure to create something perfect with all this "trash". That 12x12 paper I just knew I had to have to make a cute scrapbook LO's has now had the images all cut out of it for pretty ephemera that I use in my journals. I have turned the rest of that paper into cute stamped images and washi, for example.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 09:54 AM   #65  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Use my own stuff.
plan to sell stamps and supplies not using anymore( stuff not used in years)
no paper, PERIOD! talk about stash exceeding life expectancy
no more enabling by YT posters. NOT watching any hauls or what's new at........ or when shop has 75% off my husband would tell me to buy as it makes me happy. learn to be happy and satisfied with what I have in craft room.
It's okay to say something is cute, interesting, but I'm not going to buy it.
I want to enjoy my hobby a lot more, and not stress over where to put something, or no time to play due to constant organizing of new stuff

Last edited by STYXROCKSME; 12-17-2019 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: ..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 08:41 PM   #66  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
USEIT2019 Challenge Group - Splitcoaststampers. I imagine it will run again next year. I took part a few years ago and it was great, helped me make sure I used a lot of previously uninked stamps. I set myself a goal of four a month.
Thank you for the link.. here's what I had to say there, and it's the same here:
What a great thread! This fits perfectly with my 2020 crafty resolution... it's something like, I want to see my supplies clearly. (20/20 vision LOL)
I need clarity about what I'm keeping, and then I need to USE those that make the cut.
Love the challenge of using my stash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2019, 02:09 AM   #67  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post

Neat. I’d love this as a regular weekly challenge set up like the other weekly ones.
Reply With Quote Likes