Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do?

Hi!
I ordered on Feb 27 two mystery boxes out of Ebay. I won the bid at 9.99 each, no one else bid anything. The information said items would be new, and that each box would contain certain brands, plus each would have at least $100 worth of goodies and would be stuffed full.
Fast forward to yesterday, when I FINALLY got the boxes and open one of them. The other was for a friend.
Well get this. If I found 5 things NIP inside the box that would be too much. Almost everything was opened, there were like a LOT of partials. There was a bag of those metal buttons that are used on more mature women shirts mixed with a few normal round buttons. There were baggies with like less than a yard of cut out fiber. Sticker sheets missing stickers. Sheets of stickers with parts cut out. Ok she did include like a stack of patterned paper, but these say they cost 10 cents each on the back! Also, the boxes were stuffed full... of FILLING! I must have thrown out hundreds of those foam pellets. I am wondering where the heck are the MINIMUM OF 100 DOLLARS worth of product that the person advertised each box to have.
I reluctantly gave the other box to my friend and was equally upset with hers, as well as mortified that the things were used and I was giving away used things. Because her box contained more things NIP but still she got used sticker sheets, vellum shapes cut out from a sheet, that bag of weird buttons, more cheap paper, about 5-10 eyelets in small baggies instead of the complete package...
Here I am asking myself what to do. Should I complain to her? Should I contact Ebay? Should I leave negative feedback?

Please give me some advice! I don't want to have to pay $15 of shipping AGAIN to get these boxes back to the person. I already paid $20 plus $15 for the second box to have these shipped to me in the first place.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

By the way, as a seasoned scrapbooking supplies shopper, I am putting the value of each box at LESS than $50. I know for a fact that the priciest items in the boxes, which were PHOTO albums (what the heck, why would I want a photo album! How about sending a scrap book??) did NOT cost the price they say because there are ripped out red clearance stickers on the outer part. And all the used stuff and partials do NOT amount to more than $30.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 04:57 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would leave negative feedback and consider it a lesson learned. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

How long as it been? I would ask for my money back. And if she won't refund you, do exactly what Amber said.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:05 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
I agree. I'm sorry this happened, but there is literally nothing worth doing about it.... Also, would love to see pic of buttons used on "mature women shirts"!!!

signed,

mature woman
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:06 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I would contact the seller first. Explain that you are disappointed but you KNOW she wants to make it better. Think about what you would like (your money back, your shipping refunded, whatever) and ask for that. If she doesn't seem interested in making you happy (or at least less unhappy), go ahead and leave negative feedback and contact ebay. Not sure they can do anything because you can't really prove that she lied about the cost of the items. If she offers to refund your money if you send the items back, I would say no thanks and chalk it up to a $35 lesson.

I'm sorry this has happened to you!

I, too, have had a few bad transactions on ebay and have had to work hard not to let the frustration get to be too much. Once I bought a Coach purse "in perfect condition" - NOT! I had no luck negotiating with the seller and the mediation people were of no help at all. Another time, I bought a stamp set and the one stamp in it that I wanted was missing! The seller apologized but ultimately could not find the missing stamp. She did refund my shipping, so at least she tried. Overall, though, I have had great luck on ebay so hopefully this bad experience won't keep you from finding things you love.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:13 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkplug17View Post
How long as it been? I would ask for my money back. And if she won't refund you, do exactly what Amber said.
The boxes took like 20 days to get here...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
I agree. I'm sorry this happened, but there is literally nothing worth doing about it.... Also, would love to see pic of buttons used on "mature women shirts"!!!

signed,

mature woman
Muahaha Joan I don't think you're mature. I am talking about ... MATURE ladies who dress all mismatched and wear really old fashioned clothes. No pics as my camera is lost, but I can describe in detail!
Hm. All of them are fake gold. The color is starting to rub off. Let's see. One is round, all bent out of shape, with a fake pearl in the center. There is a gem in here in the shape of one of those fabric or paper fans, and it is very pretty and detailed, has some branches engraved. Then there is one with like a crest. Make that two. No wait, 3. Did the person pull these out of her/his own shirts? There is one that looks like SU filigree brads. Another one with a crest, this one has actual latin words on it. There's one with a spiral on the center.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 05:22 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by biblesistersmomView Post
I would contact the seller first. Explain that you are disappointed but you KNOW she wants to make it better. Think about what you would like (your money back, your shipping refunded, whatever) and ask for that. If she doesn't seem interested in making you happy (or at least less unhappy), go ahead and leave negative feedback and contact ebay. Not sure they can do anything because you can't really prove that she lied about the cost of the items. If she offers to refund your money if you send the items back, I would say no thanks and chalk it up to a $35 lesson.

I'm sorry this has happened to you!

I, too, have had a few bad transactions on ebay and have had to work hard not to let the frustration get to be too much. Once I bought a Coach purse "in perfect condition" - NOT! I had no luck negotiating with the seller and the mediation people were of no help at all. Another time, I bought a stamp set and the one stamp in it that I wanted was missing! The seller apologized but ultimately could not find the missing stamp. She did refund my shipping, so at least she tried. Overall, though, I have had great luck on ebay so hopefully this bad experience won't keep you from finding things you love.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out.
Thanks!
I have ordered tons of goodie boxes from Ebay and this had never happened. In fact today I got a WONDERFUL box packed full of awesome stuff, all NIP. I buy these mystery boxes because over here the selection of goods is very limited as we don't have Joanns or Mike's or Hobby Lobby or any of that sort of huge scrapbook stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 07:07 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibaa4foodView Post
Hm. All of them are fake gold. The color is starting to rub off. Let's see. One is round, all bent out of shape, with a fake pearl in the center. There is a gem in here in the shape of one of those fabric or paper fans, and it is very pretty and detailed, has some branches engraved. Then there is one with like a crest. Make that two. No wait, 3. Did the person pull these out of her/his own shirts? There is one that looks like SU filigree brads. Another one with a crest, this one has actual latin words on it. There's one with a spiral on the center.
You're cracking me up here! :-D:-D:-D I would contact the seller and let her know how disappointed you are and ask for a refund of what you think is appropriate. As you said, sending them back would cost you money, and it really wouldn't be worth it in the end. If she refuses to do anything reasonable about it, I would leave negative feedback and contact Ebay. The item was not as described. Good luck; I hope things turn out well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:34 PM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks. I am in the process of composing a message to the person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:02 PM   #12  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Also if you paid via Paypal think about opening a dispute - this opens a forum for the buyer/seller to communicate and if found in your favor, you will get your money back - I think you can do this if the goods that you received were not as specified, ie: the promised value in your case... And be sure to take photographs of what you received as your evidence...

Good luck - and if you get no response from sending the seller a message through ebay I would open a complaint there too so it gets investigated via the proper channels :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:04 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I did pay via paypal! Thanks for that info. I sent the person a message, now to wait for him/her to reply...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:02 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Disputing in Paypal has always worked well for me. I hope you get it resolved so you are happy with the results and shame shame shame on the seller who did this to you.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 10:55 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I did pay via paypal! Thanks for that info. I sent the person a message, now to wait for him/her to reply...
Don't wait too long -- by my count you've got less than a week left to file your dispute with Paypal before your 30 days expires...

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:04 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

You will only get a refund if you send it back. So think about the cost of postage and packing of the price already paid.

The negative feedback will hurt her much more than paying you back, as too much and she will lose her site. aos she can't stop you making it and only you can take it back once posted.

~Ebay really does try now to make people be fair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would open a paypal dispute right after you email her. You don't want to miss the window to file it, and you can always cancel it. Think of it as covering your own bottom.

That would totally suck, and I'd be so angry. I hope she resolves it for you.

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 12:56 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Muahaha Joan I don't think you're mature. I am talking about ... MATURE ladies who dress all mismatched and wear really old fashioned clothes. No pics as my camera is lost, but I can describe in detail!
wow, I'm sorry you got ripped off
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:34 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh my friggin gawd get this. This is what she had the nerve to write.
There was no used items in either box. And yes you did receive at least $100.00 worth of supplies. Don't leave positive feedback, that is fine. I will not give you a refund unless the boxes are shipped back to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Now I think maybe you could tell us this seller's name- it would prevent anyone else here from doing business with her.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:54 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't think I can do that as per the terms of service in here, but if you search for mystery box, there's a blue and silver box. Although I'm not sure if the item has been re listed...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 06:58 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

File a PP dispute ASAP. That's ridiculous. Take pics, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:12 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
You're cracking me up here! :-D:-D:-D I would contact the seller and let her know how disappointed you are and ask for a refund of what you think is appropriate. As you said, sending them back would cost you money, and it really wouldn't be worth it in the end. If she refuses to do anything reasonable about it, I would leave negative feedback and contact Ebay. The item was not as described. Good luck; I hope things turn out well.
I totally agree. I have sold alot of stamps on ebay. If you didn't receive what was described in the listing then I would contact the seller with your dissatifaction and negotiate an equitable resolution. If that doesn't work then leave bad feedback and let ebay know that they are not selling what is described in their listing. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:17 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so sorry this happened to you. My head is reeling, I can't believe that email. What a dishonest jerk!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2009, 07:59 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Oh my friggin gawd get this. This is what she had the nerve to write.
There was no used items in either box. And yes you did receive at least $100.00 worth of supplies. Don't leave positive feedback, that is fine. I will not give you a refund unless the boxes are shipped back to me.
Oh sure, the remaining stickers were unused, as was what was left of the vellum sheets that had pieces cut out... :rolleyes:

File your Paypal dispute NOW, and contact eBay about this as well. Forward the rude e-mail to their conflict resolution department, and if possible send a link to the item listing (with the number) and photos of what you received. Oh, yeah, and leave NEGATIVE feedback -- sellers can't retaliate anymore, thank goodness. I'll bet good money that once you return that junk, you can kiss your $$ goodbye because there's no intention of sending you a refund.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:06 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Make sure you take pictures to back up your claim!

Everyone who reads this thread should figure out who that seller is and make sure never to buy! Tell your friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:26 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

You have nothing to lose by opening a case with PayPal and trying to get your money back. If you do nothing else, I would leave negative feedback to warn others about this scam.

Suzy

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:29 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

LOL!!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post

signed,

mature woman
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, I've often wonder about "those" types of listing. Always check the feedback from other buyers, you can learn alot without wasting your money on these so called "good deals". As always, "buyer beware" and Thank you for posting this, now I know to be even more careful when I buy anything on e-bay! Sorry about your bad experience! :(

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:29 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would file a dispute with paypal. If shipping the items back is the problem I would say package them together without so much stuffing. Price might be cheaper.

Sheri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 09:38 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow.. that is sad! No doubt, I would leave negative feedback, let the seller know how you feel and even send Ebay a message about the transaction. It sounded like a misleading Ebay listing. If enough buyers complain maybe Ebay will pull the seller's listings. Thanks for sharing your unfortunate story. It has made us all aware of these types of listings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow..I sell a lot of things on Ebay and Feedback is critical. I would do almost anything to make things right with a buyer if they felt they did not get what they received. My feed back although nearing 1800 now is still at 100%. I feel terrible that this happened to you...Bless your heart...do everything available to you to make this right...I hate dishonest sellers as it affects us all.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

That is crazy. If she advertised everything as NIP, they should be NIP, not partially used. Definitely report it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:14 PM   #34  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This is too bad. And I don't even know what NIP means but I'm still sorry about it.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #35  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cathy HView Post
This is too bad. And I don't even know what NIP means but I'm still sorry about it.
New In Package
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

I am so sorry this happened to you. It is not right and deserves your follow up attention. No one should be getting away with this.

I am curious as to how much she charged you for shipping and if she also made money on that. Sounds like the box was not heavy and so therefor, may not have been very much to send. Is there any way of figuring that out?

Keep us posted on your hopefully good progress and satisfactory resolution. I would do everything all of the above suggested. People like that should not be getting away with things like this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 03:41 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Ooops. Just reread your original post and saw how much you had to pay for shipping.

IT SOUNDS OUTRAGEOUS TO ME FOR WHAT SHE SENT YOU!

I can't believe that you had to pay $35 to ship both boxes.

It drives me crazy when sellers try to make money off the shipping. I can understand charging the actual cost and possibly a bit extra to cover gas but give me a break. I can ship a whole lot of stuff for $20. Can you figure out how much she actually spent?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #38  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberAKAmomView Post
I agree. A real bummer, but ebay is a little risky that way. Did you notice what kind of feedback rating she had?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

I don't think I can do that as per the terms of service in here, but if you search for mystery box, there's a blue and silver box. Although I'm not sure if the item has been re listed...
I was not even aware of mystery boxes being sold on ebay (I don't really do ebay), but this made me curious. I found the blue and silver box. I'm pretty sure it is the one you are talking about, based on the price and shipping. I checked the feedback, and except for the very first one, it is very positive. The first one is kind of neutral. You need to get on there and let people know how you feel. It makes you wonder about the person who commented on how happy they were, and that they just kept pulling things out of the box. Is it possible to set up multiple accounts, and leave fake feedback on yourself?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithaneView Post
I was not even aware of mystery boxes being sold on ebay (I don't really do ebay), but this made me curious. I found the blue and silver box. I'm pretty sure it is the one you are talking about, based on the price and shipping. I checked the feedback, and except for the very first one, it is very positive. The first one is kind of neutral. You need to get on there and let people know how you feel. It makes you wonder about the person who commented on how happy they were, and that they just kept pulling things out of the box. Is it possible to set up multiple accounts, and leave fake feedback on yourself?
I've heard of people who make accounts to boost their bids higher, so it's not too far off to think people would leave positive feedback for themselves. I hate to think people would do such a thing, but you never know.
I've never bid on one of those goodie boxes for fear of this kind of thing happening. Hope everything works out.

-Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes