Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 PM   #161  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
CB? What's a CB? And, do I already have one?

OK, serious. I do want to know what a CB is. If it doesn't mean "Cuttlebug". Cuz I have a BS. ;)
You have a BS? What in? *chuckle* Actually, your review a while back of the BS almost made me cave and get one. Almost.

Of course, there is another meaning for BS. It's something we English teachers are accused of throwing around frequently.

Seriously, CB isn't a standard acronym for Cuttlebug? Guess that's what I get for trying to be cool, LOL! Perhaps I should have just typed "Bug"?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #162  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
You have a BS? What in? *chuckle* Actually, your review a while back of the BS almost made me cave and get one. Almost.
I was never gonna get one. Didn't think I'd ever have a use for one. And then I got to play with one. I don't think I would have gotten one if I hadn't gotten to play with it, and then realized there were some things I really would use it for.

I use it more than I thought I would. LOL!

Quote:

Of course, there is another meaning for BS. It's something we English teachers are accused of throwing around frequently.
LOL!

Quote:

Seriously, CB isn't a standard acronym for Cuttlebug? Guess that's what I get for trying to be cool, LOL! Perhaps I should have just typed "Bug"?
No, no, I just thought mebbe you meant something else by it because it was proceeded by "die cutting system" (which I interpreted as a reference to all systems under the sun), and so I thought mebbe there was some OTHER gadget (not necessarily die cutting) by the same CB acronym that I was unfamiliar with.

Mystery solved!

Thanks, Susan!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #163  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, I was being redundant. We English teachers do that, too. We just like saying the same thing over and over using different words....LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:17 PM   #164  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Ah, I was being redundant. We English teachers do that, too. We just like saying the same thing over and over using different words....LOL!
:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #165  
Die Cut Diva

I've answered this before, but now that I've had time to ponder this post, it's definately the "cute kid" thing. Tired of that trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #166  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

I'm *quite* familiar with redundancy (!) heh, heh, heh! ; taught high school for 10 years . . . ;)

I think this is why my children are always annoyed with me. "You just said that, like, 3 times, Mom!!!"

Gee, I wonder why . . .

Last edited by JulieHRR; 10-28-2010 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 10:00 PM   #167  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I keep coming back to this thread to see what else has been added since the last time I was here - some interesting (and funny!) stuff!

I had a thought occur to me that I thought I'd throw out for the rest of you to consider: I've noticed the same trend in the papercrafting world that I have in the music industry. SOMEthing is successful, so pretty soon there are multiple SOMEthings from multiple companies/labels so pretty soon everything starts to look the same (papercrafting) or sound the same (music), and a lot of the originality and unique-ness gets lost along the way...

Along the same line of thought, but slightly different, is the idea of getting back to "hand made". While die cuts are wonderful and definitely have their place - likewise the Cricut and similar - if a card ends up looking "storebought" because everything on it was done by a machine, then what's the point? I agree with whoever posted the idea of getting back to having the stamped image be the focus, not all the fancy-schmancy "stuff" around it/behind it/etc.

Being the semi-hypocrite that I am, however, I will readily admit a love affair with punches (especially border punches) and embossing folders/texture plates...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #168  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I keep coming back to this thread to see what else has been added since the last time I was here - some interesting (and funny!) stuff!

I had a thought occur to me that I thought I'd throw out for the rest of you to consider: I've noticed the same trend in the paper crafting world that I have in the music industry. SOMEthing is successful, so pretty soon there are multiple SOMEthings from multiple companies/labels so pretty soon everything starts to look the same (paper crafting) or sound the same (music), and a lot of the originality and unique-ness gets lost along the way...

I think you are onto something with this idea. So many companies want to get into the Dies, machines and embossing folders trend that they are all starting to look the same. MS punches, Spellbinders dies and Cuttlebug embossing folders gave a real boost to the scrapbooking and card making industry. However now they are coming out with so many products that look similar even their products are not fresh anymore. . I LOVE Martha Stewart punches, but when I was in a store and saw a border punch I liked, but I couldn't remember if I had that one, I knew either they were starting to look alike or I had too many punches . Or Both LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #169  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
II had a thought occur to me that I thought I'd throw out for the rest of you to consider: I've noticed the same trend in the papercrafting world that I have in the music industry. SOMEthing is successful, so pretty soon there are multiple SOMEthings from multiple companies/labels so pretty soon everything starts to look the same (papercrafting) or sound the same (music), and a lot of the originality and unique-ness gets lost along the way...
I agree. I write this as I prepare to send in cards to Take Ten. Most of those cards were prepared using a template provided by the magazine. ;-)

Quote:

Along the same line of thought, but slightly different, is the idea of getting back to "hand made". While die cuts are wonderful and definitely have their place - likewise the Cricut and similar - if a card ends up looking "storebought" because everything on it was done by a machine, then what's the point? I agree with whoever posted the idea of getting back to having the stamped image be the focus, not all the fancy-schmancy "stuff" around it/behind it/etc.

Being the semi-hypocrite that I am, however, I will readily admit a love affair with punches (especially border punches) and embossing folders/texture plates...
I agree with that too, and being the semi-hypocrite that I am, recently watched a bunch of Gina K. videos only to come away thinking, "I WANT a Cuttlebug...I NEEEEEED a Cuttlebug!" Still don't have a Cuttlebug, however.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #170  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
This may be a shocking idea but I'll risk it-----
Many people say they are tired of most things that are out there. Is it possible that many are just getting burnt out on this hobby?

The never ending stream of new products, chasing sales and coupons, searching for product they want/need ( example C plates for the CB) and the expense of everything including storage may be taking it's toll .

I thought about this one for a bit-- but have come to the conclusion that for me, I enjoy all of the new stuff that keeps coming out. It keeps the hobby fresh for me so I don't end up doing and the same ol' stuff all the time. I think I have a tendency to bore easily, so the continuous "newness" of this craft makes it exciting. I'm always seeing something new, some new style or technique that I fall in love with and can't wait to try. Many times that means that I am purchasing all the new products. On the other hand, having all of those products is nice when I get that creative itch and need to sit down and make something-- I can just sit down and make it without having to go out and buy stuff.

While I am not particularly into the grunge and vintage look, or the overly CAS, cards, I'm grateful for all of the styles and techniques out there, otherwise the gallery would look pretty dull!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #171  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think I'm tired of much of anything product-wise. I love all the creativity being shared by stampers/crafters, and I can't help but be inspired by everyone and everything!

I guess one thing I am getting weary of are magazines filled with samples made with supplies from just a few companies, issue after issue. I *know* there are other companies with products just as fun and "current", so it would be nice to see some more variety in publications. I'm considering dropping the couple of subscriptions I do have and just picking up a copy of a mag once or twice a year.

As for the topic of many companies coming out with similar products (ie thin metal dies)... as I see it, more options for the consumer is a good thing! There are companies I choose not to purchase from, so when a company I DO like has similar options, I'm tickled. Then I sit back and wait for the items that REALLY make me say "Yes, I need that!"
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 03:24 PM   #172  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
I don't think I'm tired of much of anything product-wise. I love all the creativity being shared by stampers/crafters, and I can't help but be inspired by everyone and everything!

I guess one thing I am getting weary of are magazines filled with samples made with supplies from just a few companies, issue after issue. I *know* there are other companies with products just as fun and "current", so it would be nice to see some more variety in publications. I'm considering dropping the couple of subscriptions I do have and just picking up a copy of a mag once or twice a year.
Yeah, I dropped all mine about 2 years ago for the same reason. I just snag one off the rack when I need something to read on a plane or something.

Quote:

As for the topic of many companies coming out with similar products (ie thin metal dies)... as I see it, more options for the consumer is a good thing! There are companies I choose not to purchase from, so when a company I DO like has similar options, I'm tickled. Then I sit back and wait for the items that REALLY make me say "Yes, I need that!"
Me, too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #173  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post

I've already dropped every magazine subscription I had (and replaced them with blogs in Google Reader, lol), but not so much because of a product issue. It seems like the same designers are everywhere, and open submissions have taken a back seat. I really enjoyed "fresh new faces" and cards that were different from the "norm". Don't get me wrong - I love the designers and their work - it's just that I'm familiar with their style and would appreciate an infusion of others...

That's what I like about the galleries here - some of everything and, when I find someone whose style I especially love, I can subscribe to their blog or make a note of their gallery and continue to be inspired!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:29 AM   #174  
Pearl-ExPert

My style and tastes change constantly which is why my craft room is overflowing! I never get rid of anything because I know I will eventually come back to it. I do something for a bit, tire of it, do something else and then circle round again! Right now I'm into two really opposing styles - vintage and clean and simple! LOL I've never gotten into th grunge style but it doesn't mean I won't!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #175  
Stazon Splitcoast

*strolling in to say it for pure comedic value* Christmas - I'm over that trend! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #176  
Rubber Obsessor

I can see buying stamps with images that look like a 7 year old drew them. I'm thinking of the aliens, monsters & robots that are hot now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 PM   #177  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I don't like the grunge look or the really uber vintage look, and will be glad to see it go (Sorry Tim Holtz..) I hate the clocks and keys, and I hate all things retro. I also don't like the huge head or stamps that look like a child drew them. And I hate when a CAS card is too CAS... Like a white piece of cardstock that was just stamped on. Looks like something I would have done in kindergarten.

I don't mind the 2lb cards.. I think they're nice to look at, like artwork, and I like to make them once in awhile. I save the extravagant cards for hand deliveries, and make more simple cards to mail. I like the best of both worlds when it comes to "stuff" on a card. And I LOVE the look of a card that has been sewn, either with a machine or faux. I just wish I knew how to sew. lol And I also love the Magnolia stamps (kids with no mouth). I think they're so sweet. Fortunately I have way more likes than dislikes, and figure "to each their own." I wouldn't want a favorite of mine disappearing, so I wouldn't ask something be taken away from someone else.
I think this is my #1 stamping peeve. I love CAS cards but I think they look unfinished if they are too CAS. Other trends I could live without: grunge, headless people and the roly poly giant headed children.
Reply With Quote Likes