Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-17-2010, 10:18 AM   #41  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't like cutsy - anything - and the stamps of the kids (especially the ones with parts of their faces missing - not for me. Sewing on cards hmmm don't think so. I barely sew on missing buttons so sewing on cards is out of the question. Layers just seem like overkill to me. I like simple, pretty cards. No grungy stuff for me either. I just received a video tutorial showing how simple it is to tie a bow. The simple tutortial took almost 10 minutes. That should tell ya how simple it is. The list could go on and on so I'll just stop now.

Adopt A Greyhound-Save a Life
http://www.adopt-a-greyhound.org/
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:21 AM   #42  
Crimping Master

You guys are cracking me up! I am a repeat offender of some of the offenses listed, but I will do my best to mend my wicked ways. LOL...just kiddin' But seriously though, I am not a huge fan of the cards that weigh over 2 lbs. I try to mix it up on my blog. I post CAS cards, and cards with more layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #43  
Stampin' Fool

I, personally, don't like the stamps with the mouth missing. Just drives me nuts. How do you know if they're laughing, crying, smiling or even have lips or teeth? And if they're saying something, is it ESP or what?

I like grunge. I like vintage. I'm not really into cutesy stuff though.

Also, one thing that grinds my teeth more than anything is to have things be "girly" or "boyish". Sweet goodness but I've made scrapbook pages for my two sons that have flowers and pink and all kinds of so-called "girly" stuff on them. And my daughter has all kinds of dark colors on hers. That includes their cards for their birthdays and stuff.

Even my grandchildren--I just don't separate things into "these are girly" and "these are boyish". Just drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 11:15 AM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

This isn't really a trend I guess....but I'm tired of Halloween cards.

I'm not too into Halloween, and besides exactly how many people are you going to send a Halloween card to? :-P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #45  
Mad Swapper

I don't like the grunge look or the really uber vintage look, and will be glad to see it go (Sorry Tim Holtz..) I hate the clocks and keys, and I hate all things retro. I also don't like the huge head or stamps that look like a child drew them. And I hate when a CAS card is too CAS... Like a white piece of cardstock that was just stamped on. Looks like something I would have done in kindergarten.

I don't mind the 2lb cards.. I think they're nice to look at, like artwork, and I like to make them once in awhile. I save the extravagant cards for hand deliveries, and make more simple cards to mail. I like the best of both worlds when it comes to "stuff" on a card. And I LOVE the look of a card that has been sewn, either with a machine or faux. I just wish I knew how to sew. lol And I also love the Magnolia stamps (kids with no mouth). I think they're so sweet. Fortunately I have way more likes than dislikes, and figure "to each their own." I wouldn't want a favorite of mine disappearing, so I wouldn't ask something be taken away from someone else.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #46  
Glitter Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamping_MelliView Post
This isn't really a trend I guess....but I'm tired of Halloween cards.

I'm not too into Halloween, and besides exactly how many people are you going to send a Halloween card to? :-P
I send about 30 every year. I am retired and I remember how I got not too much good stuff in my teacher mailbox. I send the bulk of the cards to the schools to brighten up a teacher's day...oh, and my husband's grandchildren, my daughter, my sister's MIL in the assisted living facility (I send her about 10 so she can share with the people there) and anyone one else who need to see what new stamp I bought! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

I have been thinking about what trend I'm tired of and the only thing I can think of (and this is kind of a response to another thread..) is crocheting.. I don't like any form of it on cards/tags and in its original form (clothing/blankets etc..). I tend to gravitate towards clean and modern designs..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:22 PM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I'm tired of the cards with 59 layers on them! Seems like overkill to me! I like simple. It's fast, it's inexpensive to make, cheaper to mail, and it just plain looks good!

I'm also tired of the gigantic heads and freaky eyes! Isn't that caused by some horrible disease?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 12:30 PM   #49  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am so thankful that there are so many different tastes. I'm not over anything. I think I like all things in moderation.... even cupcakes, owls and big headed children with no lips .

We had a fund raiser this weekend to help pay my aunt's medical bills (cancer patient - 8 years). I sold a ton of cards (nearly 300). There were a great deal of the "over the top" cards, some vintage, distressed, a few CAS.

And every single Halloween card I've made sold. I, personally, do not send them, but obviously someone does . To each his own, right?

The vast array of styles that are represented here on SCS make it the happiest place on earth, for me. Move over Disneyland!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 01:10 PM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
I send about 30 every year. I am retired and I remember how I got not too much good stuff in my teacher mailbox. I send the bulk of the cards to the schools to brighten up a teacher's day...oh, and my husband's grandchildren, my daughter, my sister's MIL in the assisted living facility (I send her about 10 so she can share with the people there) and anyone one else who need to see what new stamp I bought! LOL
I love, love, love Halloween cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM   #51  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I am with you on this one ! Most are so cluttered with several different prints and embellishments that there is no focal point

I am also tired of seeing distressed anything including paper . Some layouts look like the car rolled over them; a mouse chewed it to make a nest; or the roof leaked on them in the attic LOL
I am with you on the distressed.. I like the occasional sponging on the edges but the total distressed look drives me nuts. Just my 2 cents for what its worth lol.

Hugs
Jaunice
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:13 PM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

The people at my LSS know how I feel about these stamps, so I feel OK in sharing this: I really, really dislike Magnolia stamps. The no-mouth thing creeps me out, and the solution to "just draw a mouth on it" kinda defeats the original purpose of the stamp, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:35 PM   #53  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm not sure if this is a trend but in my stamping magazine I've noticed stamped images that are like doodles...a bunch of lines that I could easily draw if I wanted them on my card..what's the need for a stamp? And I don't like those images of people (are they all kids?) that are skinny and scary and look like they are out of a Tim Burton movie..eeck! I have to say that I like sewing on cards..not a lot of it but some. But I do agree with the person that brought up "POP"...I hate that word! They always mention that when there's a makeover on tv..doesn't that color make her eyes pop? I don't think I want my eyes to pop...sounds weird.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #54  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in my mid-50s and like grunge, shabby, vintage, edgy, anim�, elegant, floral, layered, sewn (though not by me), cas, torn, inked, cute, and punny.

I love owls, cats, birds, flowers, penguins, butterflies, dragonflies, ships, clocks, Celtic, typewriters, trees, tattoo-inspired, and all sorts of other images. My stamp collection reflects this.

I'm not wild about the mouthless and noseless kids. Pigeon-toed kids are fine. After all, I'm still pigeon-toed.

Country-cute images aren't really my thing and I could do without the religious quotes.

"Different strokes for different folks and so on and so on and scooby-dooby-dooby." -Sly Stone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:02 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL!!! Bet it wold be pretty!

http://camanocardmaker.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:05 PM   #56  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I'm totally over ill-proportioned "child" stamps or those that are missing features - mouths, for example. I also find it somewhat disturbing to have a child's face on an image doing something more mature - even burlesque in some cases - or dressed more maturely. Back to personal preferences, I'm sure, but since you asked...
I agree - some of them are downright freaky, and, as you say, misporportioned. If they moved, they'd fall over from being top-heavy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #57  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
My thoughts too when I read this :lol::lol:
I never knew there were ribbon irons
I really like my ribbon iron! It small enough to fit in a drawer and I dont have to get up go to the linen closet and pull out the iron and the table ironing board.

I got a s a gift. Its not necessary and I would not maybe have purchased one but I have it and I use!

I might be the only one but I do use mine and just this morning while making some gift cards.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #58  
Rubber Obsessor

Wow, different strokes...

I like lots of the things people wish would go away (and have been doing them before they were trendy) and want others to go away that some people like.

Guess that's the great thing about stamping, or crafting or anything else....if you like it and it makes you happy ~ go for it!

Ink Stains
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #59  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep I LOVE cute! Penny Black is one of my favourite stamp companies! It's probably because I do a lot of kids cards though. And I can't draw, not even stick figures, so yep, I still buy those 'anyone can draw' stamps.

I personally don't use: vintage, collage, grunge or overly layered. Only because I can't get them to look right when I do them. Don't 'dislike' them though, I actually quite like looking at them, but making them is just not for me.

I think it's awesome we have so many different styles and likes. I have come a long way as a stamper just because of all the different things I see. I wouldn't have thought I would love silhouettes, but they are also in my favourites now. What an awesome, varied, diverse world we live in!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #60  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitch1View Post
Yep I LOVE cute! Penny Black is one of my favourite stamp companies! It's probably because I do a lot of kids cards though. And I can't draw, not even stick figures, so yep, I still buy those 'anyone can draw' stamps.

I personally don't use: vintage, collage, grunge or overly layered. Only because I can't get them to look right when I do them. Don't 'dislike' them though, I actually quite like looking at them, but making them is just not for me.

I think it's awesome we have so many different styles and likes. I have come a long way as a stamper just because of all the different things I see. I wouldn't have thought I would love silhouettes, but they are also in my favourites now. What an awesome, varied, diverse world we live in!
YES!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:08 PM   #61  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikiBeeView Post
I don't like the grunge look or the really uber vintage look, and will be glad to see it go (Sorry Tim Holtz..) I hate the clocks and keys, and I hate all things retro. I also don't like the huge head or stamps that look like a child drew them. And I hate when a CAS card is too CAS... Like a white piece of cardstock that was just stamped on. Looks like something I would have done in kindergarten.

I don't mind the 2lb cards.. I think they're nice to look at, like artwork, and I like to make them once in awhile. I save the extravagant cards for hand deliveries, and make more simple cards to mail. I like the best of both worlds when it comes to "stuff" on a card. And I LOVE the look of a card that has been sewn, either with a machine or faux. I just wish I knew how to sew. lol And I also love the Magnolia stamps (kids with no mouth). I think they're so sweet. Fortunately I have way more likes than dislikes, and figure "to each their own." I wouldn't want a favorite of mine disappearing, so I wouldn't ask something be taken away from someone else.
I'm with ya--to each his own. SCS would be a bore if we all liked the same thing and made cards exactly alike! I have seen beautiful cards that completely changed my mind about a stamp.

"I can do all things through Him who strengthens me." Phillipians 4:13
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #62  
Rubber Obsessor

Cards that look like scrapbook pages, which seems to be much more than a passing trend. Please don't ask me to define. I'm like Justice Potter Stewart and obscenity--I know it when I see it.

Enormous embellishments that overwhelm the focal image and over-use of embellishments such as too many buttons, faux gems, and other blingity-bling.

Cards with no stamping on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #63  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I'm not really trendy, and I don't look in the Gallery much (I know, shame on me, right?) , so I still like some of these things. I never liked the oddly-proportioned, faceless children or the "grunge" look anyway. All that being said, I am so sick of seeing those humongous paper flowers all over the place. I can't imagine how you would mail a card with those on them, or fit a page with one of them in your scrapbook. And, of course, the English teacher in me absolutely HATES misspelled and mispronounced words. I'm not talking about typos, because we all make them, but nothing will ruin an article or video for me more quickly than really bad grammar.
Oh Yes!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:39 PM   #64  
Matboard Maniac

I like almost any style out there. I just don't get into the weird kids/people stamps. I won't ever buy one, I'm certain of that!
I love CAS cards but also love the cards with lots of layers and details. When I make a card with lots of layers I usually just give it in person instead of mailing it.
I LOVE stitching on cards and scrapbook pages.
The trend I could do without is owls. They're OK, and I use them occasionally, but I'm tired of them. I kind of think they're pretty much on the way out along with cup cakes.
I happen to love the crinkle ribbon that is in right now. I want it in every color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 07:15 PM   #65  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love pretty much every style out there and the only thing that I tend to not care for is primas, and collage type artsy cards. Don't get me wrong, some of them are beautiful but it's just not my thing.

I'm pretty much an offender of millions of layers, sewing on everything and different embellishments ;) A lot of the time I try to make my cards as "non card store" looking as possible because most store bought cards are relatively flat with not a lot of texture and I'm a "go big or go home" type of gal but try to limit myself to the "tastefully done" category For me, I don't mind spending hours on a card by cutting out things and layering them with some sewing. It makes me happy and that's what it should be about ;)

With all that said, I would say that 80% of my favourites gallery is made up of clean and simple cards. I really admire them and have to look at them often because I struggle in that category.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 07:45 PM   #66  
Kookie Creator

this is a fun thread!

I never really understood those big chunky flowers that people make from die cuts & use all sort of UTEE and glitter, and glimmer mist, etc. UGH! They end up being HUGE and how the heck do you adhere them to anything? Glimmer Mist is NOT cheap and I just think when you use it, it becomes so overdone.

Oh and while we are on the subject ;) I think that any of those glitter sprays are silly & overpriced. You can get the same results mixing Perfect Pearls w/ water using your own spray bottle. I think it's hilarious that SU sells that "smooch" stuff that barely lasts a few projects.

Let's see what else? Too much faux stitching out there. I see people doing a lot of that. I do it occasionally but there are some who need it on almost every card it seems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #67  
Insane Embellisher

love this thread. i will say that I never used to like flourishes, I now love flourishes. I don;t get ATCs or inchies. They are cute, but what do you do with them??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 09:49 PM   #68  
Stazon Splitcoast

ROTFLMBO!!!!!

*rolling on the floor laughing my butt off*

thanks for the chuckle, girls.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2010, 10:37 PM   #69  
Glitter Guru

Received 864 Likes on 515 Posts

I don't like when an entire card is done with the cricut. I have seen a few I liked, but very few. I like a variety of methods on a card; makes it look more interesting and balanced. I guess it doesn't bother me as much on the scrapbook pages, as you have your pics and matts for different texture; although, I usually like different methods on them as well. And it isn't that I don't like the cricut, as I have the personal one and use it.
I still like the owls, cupcakes etc... In fact, just bought an owl set reduced at Hobby Lobby the other week. I don't usually keep up with the trends though. I'm usually just getting into them when they're ending. :grin: I guess that's good; I can find stuff on sale or reduced.
I think the kids or subjects without faces is creepy too. And I don't care for birdcages either; although, they'd be alright with a plant stamped in them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 05:52 AM   #70  
Gallery Gazer

I've really been trying to think about what I am over....the only thing I am even a wee bit over is anything I cannot do. I hate being reminded of how mediocre I am with a sewing machine or Copics...LOL. It's a love/hate relationship. ;)

We shouldn't have expectations of others that we, ourselves, could not fulfill.

my blog: hownowbrownkow
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #71  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Impossible, but I wish we could get rid of trends themselves: Thundering hordes rushing toward the same product lines, embellishments, sayings, making everything look alike for six months or so. Then on to the next popular same old same old. I know, it's like saying get rid of popularity. Not going to happen. But original use of what passes for ordinary or old hat is what I love to see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am ready to see my last card with a triangle pennant banner on it. I don't know what my problem is but I'm not into that at all. I don't mind actual ones, like hanging at a party or something, but on cards they drive me nuts. It's just my personal preference of course.

I like a LOT of the trends yall are hattin on! haha. I just got a bunch of kids with no mouths. I like do draw different mouths on them. Probably not the intention of the artist but I like it.

I've personally never been into grunge, but it's not so much a trend as a whole style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:42 AM   #73  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I knew someone was going to say owls and I haven't even used my owl punch yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #74  
Rubber Obsessor

I am ready to see the end of this card:

Nestabilitie shape with scallop or other weird shape behind with line image stamp colored with copics mounted on several layers of matchy matchy patterned paper and cardstock with a huge bow in the corner and a few primas thrown in for good measure.

I think there are a lot of great stampers who do an awesome job with Copics but I see these cards by the gazillion these days and I always think to myself "less is more"

This must be what is referred to as a 2lb card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 244 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisha_1988View Post
there are/were ribbon irons!?!?!?!?!?!?!
hahaha
Yes!
Mine stays unplugged but ready on the countertop ... Probably gets used a minimum of 50%-75% of the times I use ribbon (my ribbons are primarily unspooled).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #76  
SuG
Forum Fanatic

it is funny how many people said the kids with big heads and missing features, there sure are a lot of them in the galleries.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #77  
Kookie Creator

Actually, I quite like the "2 lb" (or for us Canadians, 0.9 kilo) cards - I think they are quite beautiful. However I never make them myself - what I like to do is find one of them, look at it very carefully, and see how I can make it less bulky without sacrificing the style of it. Pretty much, how can I replicate it using only 1 lb of stuff??

As for what I don't like:

featureless kid's faces - creepy
owls, birdcages, clocks - not my thing
sewing on cards - what is this thing you call sewing? Oh yeah, it's what I send to my MIL when the pile of torn articles has tipped over....
ironing ribbon? see sewing above
grunge - my house is grungy enough, don't need to let the world see how messy I am!
vintage - went shopping with my 18yo daughter the other day - she picked up a pair of stirrup pants - I commented that I wore those when I was pregnant with her - they were literally flung back onto the shelf!
Spellbinder's dies ad nauseum - really, is there a need to have all 10 (or 12, don't know what they are up to) labels dies from Spellbinders????

In all seriousness, I make cards for our church's annual bazaar, and since I donate the cost of the materials, I need to keep them down so that the cards sell well but don't cost me an arm and a leg to make. Because of this, I tend to make CAS cards - and that is the way I scrapbook too. I'd say 90% of my pages are CAS (pictures, a background paper, and journalling), but I love to look at all the beautifully embellished pages to get ideas from when there is that one page that is just screaming for more (like prom, or graduation)

All in all, I guess I can appreciate everyone's style likes and dislikes - that's what makes the world go 'round!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM   #78  
Mad Swapper

I'm annoyed with buttons, big bulky embellishments on cards, and embellishments that stick out way beyond the edge of the card. I saw a blog today with some beautiful samples, but it had all these little mini Christmas ornament balls which to me is so impractical. I mean, how do you mail something like that? How do you even stick it in an envelope. To each his own, but to me a card is something that is mailable or at the least be able to fit in an envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 02:26 PM   #79  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

I can't speak for everyone else who makes bulky cards, but I know when I'm sending off a heavily embellished card, I put alot of thought and heart into that card. So much so, that it's not even my intent to stick it in a regular envelope. Either I'm going to sneak it to a friends desk and leave it on her computer for her to see when she gets to work, or I also like to mail cards in those clear boxes (for the set of cards) and put some pretty filling in around the card. It's all about presentation to me and I'm really not terribly worried about having to spend 1.50 to mail a card.
That being said, about 80% of my cards never even get sent out, EEK! Terrible I know, but it's all good, it's my hobby and I do it for the pure joy of it
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #80  
Rubber Obsessor

Agree with most of the dislikes except owls. Love owls but only have two cutesy type ones that were a gift but I don't particulaly like them!

What was strange was all the comments about the Magnolia type stamps that many said they hated (as do I) and runing across the top of the page was an advert for the latest almost faceless new stamps

Hate cupcake stamps. Here in the UK we never called those types of cakes cupcakes but suddenly the stamps are everywhere and even the cakes are being re-marketed as cupcakes! Won't buy them - stamps or cakes - now

I have other dislikes too but those are because my efforts at replicating them look dreadful.

Lynn

Blog
Reply With Quote Likes