Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-06-2006, 04:17 PM   #121  
KLE
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread has been very interesting. I will put in my 2 cents worth.
I could easily become a demo and meet a quota of $300 a quarter. I spend a lot with my SU demo every month. I will not become a demo myself for many of the reasons stated above. The most important one is that it is not a tax write off. You must be very careful with this. I was a CMC for 6 years and in leadership with many customers and downline. I was aduited last year by the IRS for 2002 tax return. What a nightmare. I only wrote off what I was told I could by other leaders and CM. This was not true. Please do not sign up for any kind of home based business for the tax write off. The rules are very strict what you can write off and what you can not. The tax laws have changed. Please check with the current IRS tax code before you advise customers to become demo or consutlants because of the tax benefits. I ended up owing the IRS for a business that I only made 30% on in profit and I gave most of that away to customers as prizes and incentives and it was not worth it. Before my IRS audit I was working my business so hard all the time. I was successful, but at the expense of my love for my own scrapbooking and the homebased business that I started as a hobby had now taken over my life, because it was successful. I realized that my family was suffering because of the time commitment to my hobby. Which had now taken on a life of its own. And yes, part of that was my own obsessive behavior to be the best for my customers and myself. It felt great to be successful. Sure it was great to move up the leadership ladder and have lots of classes and workshops and customers, but at what expense? It was no longer fun anymore because it was a business.

I love stamping now and SU products and this site and I don't want the fun of that to change. I will not become a demo because of that.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:25 PM   #122  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 118 Likes on 98 Posts

Good point, KLU. My friend and I look at each other every now and then, and say, "Is it still fun?" I do not want to ruin my hobby by making it work. It's a very important consideration.

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #123  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Reasons for not becoming a demo...

1. I have a full time job.
2. Stampin' & scrappin' are my HOBBIES, I don't want it to become a job, stressful or a headache.
3. DH did not want me to -he said just be "a good customer"-so I took him at his word...placing a 200+ order this week end and already saving for my "retirement" & summer mini purchases next month!!
I "host" 3-4 times a year, so I'm able to earn hostess benefits and free merchandise.

Life is good!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #124  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thinking about it....

...I've taught scrapping & stamping classes for a number of years through local retail shops. Most of the stamp stores in my area have closed. I recently "met" a SU demo in my area but she only does something every other month. Not what I was hoping for. I would love to do it, but I don't think I know enough people (moved here a year ago)to have as customers. And I'm still shopping various stamp companies for the best fit...I'm not sure on the Angel policies, don't know the ins & outs of the "rules" (ie retired sets, ebay, etc.) for each. Guess I need to keep doing the research. And if there's anyone here from the Tampa, FL area - PM me!

Sharon

(Laura, in Waynesville, IL ---> I used to live in McLean - went to Olympia HS. Small world, huh?!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:35 PM   #125  
Crimping Master

I didn't get to finish reading everyone's posts yet, just three pages. Anyway there are a few reasons I haven't become a rep in the 10 years I have been stamping.

1) I love being with my kids ... and at home with my husband at night too.
2) I have owned my own business teaching gymnastics for 12 years, and it would have been too much to do both.
3) Being self employed already with gymnastics, it would be another end of year tax nightmare! Can you imagine keeping records for two companies and being a stay at home mom and wife.
4) My husband was recently a commander in the Air Force and I didn't want to have to deal with people feeling pressure to buy from me, or sucking up to me because of his job.
5) I like the stamping group I host in my house each month. Noone feels any pressure to buy, but if they want to I just take their order and give it to my buddy who I got addicted to SU, and now she is a demo.
6) We are getting ready to move. We will move again next summer. Then we will move the next year after that. My hubby has moved 15 times in the 18 years he has been in the service. That is a lot of meeting new customers.
7) I love to spend what I want, and go to classes. I even let the demos in town borrow my stuff for classes.

Honestly if I didn't have to do the taxes at the end of the year, I would sign up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:41 PM   #126  
Matboard Maniac

Just one quick question in regards to taxes for demos:

If you were to be a demo only to yourself and not sell to anyone, do you still have to file your taxes as if it was a business?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #127  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty

If you were to be a demo only to yourself and not sell to anyone, do you still have to file your taxes as if it was a business?
Yes, Hobby Demos, I want to know this too!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #128  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatty

If you have no income, there is no need to file. But then, you can't claim the expenses as business expanese, either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:36 AM   #129  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinMelis
So you, as a customer, make a $150 order. And I, as a demo make the same order.

I pay (using my local tax, etc.) roughly $145 for that order and get all the same hostess benefits you do.

You pay roughly $178 and get the hostess benefits.

Gosh, with the $33 I just saved, I can go out to eat or buy more stuff! Plus, mine is all tax deductible, while yours is just a hobby. My discount didn't dwindle because as a customer, I would have paid what YOU paid. Plus I get all sorts of other demo goodies that most customers don't get.

ETA: And at the end of the month, I get a rebate check, too, of a percentage of my sales for that month AND the sales of my downline.

Which is exactly why, despite my misgivings, I'm seriously considering becoming a demo! The tax deductible part is the major consideration for me. I'm planning on going over all the details of the commission and all that because I have no idea how it all works. But there could be a serious up side for me to become a demo.

Pam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 06:22 AM   #130  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by danne4
Now... add tax to the SU item just like the store. Then add 10% shipping to the item. Your 20% discount just dwindled down to 10%. It has been a whie since I placed an order, but if I remember correctly you pay tax on shipping as well. Demonstrators have to pay 10% shipping just like all the customers. I am sure there will be plenty of responses about saving gas because it comes to your door and all that and that the shipping is reasonable. It just bothers me that so many demos push the discount. The discount is really not a big deal. The hostess benefits are better than the 20% discount. As a demo when you hold your own workshops your the hostess, you get the benefits. I did not join for the 10% discount, I wanted the freebies. But, I can still get the freebies now and I do not have to share my toys. I do not have to worry about spending $300.00 to keep my business running and now I don't have to get upset when I see all the demos selling stuff out on eBay.
Excellent points. I miss getting stuff earlier than everyone else, and the access to more BST opportunities, but its nice being 'just a customer' again. I mean that nicely. I'm spending less money overall now. In the last year I've maybe spent 300 total on SU, but that could be a factor of the lack of new stuff in the catalog. It was fun while it lasted and I was one of those who spent enough to support my demoship. I had a great run with it and got a milestone award the year I was a demo so I look back on it with happy memories.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 06:40 AM   #131  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLE
This thread has been very interesting. I will put in my 2 cents worth.
I could easily become a demo and meet a quota of $300 a quarter. I spend a lot with my SU demo every month. I will not become a demo myself for many of the reasons stated above. The most important one is that it is not a tax write off. You must be very careful with this. I was a CMC for 6 years and in leadership with many customers and downline. I was aduited last year by the IRS for 2002 tax return. What a nightmare. I only wrote off what I was told I could by other leaders and CM. This was not true. Please do not sign up for any kind of home based business for the tax write off. The rules are very strict what you can write off and what you can not. The tax laws have changed. Please check with the current IRS tax code before you advise customers to become demo or consutlants because of the tax benefits. I ended up owing the IRS for a business that I only made 30% on in profit and I gave most of that away to customers as prizes and incentives and it was not worth it. Before my IRS audit I was working my business so hard all the time. I was successful, but at the expense of my love for my own scrapbooking and the homebased business that I started as a hobby had now taken over my life, because it was successful. I realized that my family was suffering because of the time commitment to my hobby. Which had now taken on a life of its own. And yes, part of that was my own obsessive behavior to be the best for my customers and myself. It felt great to be successful. Sure it was great to move up the leadership ladder and have lots of classes and workshops and customers, but at what expense? It was no longer fun anymore because it was a business.

I love stamping now and SU products and this site and I don't want the fun of that to change. I will not become a demo because of that.
Another post with excellent points. I was obsessed as well. I lived and breathed my business. I can't do it halfway or as a hobby demo. If its not done as a means to climb to some goal it isn't worth doing...I didn't like the person I was becoming so something had to give.

So, aside from the business nuts and bolts of SU, there are often personality conflicts that don't make these types of ventures good fits for people. I was a good demo, my customers still beg me to sign up again. I just can't do it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 AM   #132  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting thread. I read most of it.

I'm finally taking the plunge in July when the new catty comes out so I can get the discount, but I'm still nervous. Why?

1. It will make my taxes messy and more difficult.

2. My hubby said I could only do this if I'm a hobby demo so I won't be stressed during the school year. So, even though I spend a lot, there is no out if money gets tight or I want to spend elsewhere. Ex: Ribbon. SU seriously needs to expand their ribbon selection.

3. My friends and co-workers may shy away from me if I want to talk about stamping or SU thinking I NEED their business. (Most of my stamping friends are penny pinchers and don't spend as much as I do and/or are already with another demo.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 07:46 AM   #133  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jen70
Interesting thread. I read most of it.

I'm finally taking the plunge in July when the new catty comes out so I can get the discount, but I'm still nervous. Why?

1. It will make my taxes messy and more difficult.

2. My hubby said I could only do this if I'm a hobby demo so I won't be stressed during the school year. So, even though I spend a lot, there is no out if money gets tight or I want to spend elsewhere. Ex: Ribbon. SU seriously needs to expand their ribbon selection.

3. My friends and co-workers may shy away from me if I want to talk about stamping or SU thinking I NEED their business. (Most of my stamping friends are penny pinchers and don't spend as much as I do and/or are already with another demo.)

Congratulations on taking the plunge! I hope that you are happy with it. If you already spend the money and you're only going to be a hobby demo, I don't see how you can go wrong. As a teacher as well, I know what you mean about the school year. Teaching is really a job and a half anyway. There are many weekends where all I can get done is laundry and schoolwork. Trying to plan a workshop would make me a crazy person. Maybe your teacher friends would enjoy a class or two in the summer. I always do my Chanukah and Christmas cards in the summer. That would help you meet your minimum in the summer when money is really tight. (I don't know about you, but I don't get a paycheck from the end of June until the first or second week in September.)
Good luck to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #134  
Matboard Maniac

Location: in my own little bubble, I like it here. Actually I'm in a tiny town in Tx with no stop light!

For me there are a couple reasons. My sister in law is my Demo. She gives me the demo discount and I meet her quarterly needs for her (and then some!) So she doesn't have to stress about it, (and of course I want the stuff!) I don't do well in the demonstrating situation. Not my thing. I also don't want to be limited to just SU stuff, though thats what I mainly use anyway. Also, I'm not sure when I will be quitting my job, so I don't want to be tied down to the contract.

thats basically it for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #135  
Compulsive Stamper

I really like my demo. She's incredibly creative and an all around nice person. Plus, our stamp club meets every other month, and we have a really great group. We sometimes do things outside of stamp club. My demo lives a few blocks from my house, and I know that I can stop over any time I need something and it could turn into a two hour visit as we'd talk about work, houses, anything.

So, to answer your question, I'm not a demo because if I became one, I wouldn't be able to attend my current stamp club and that would break my heart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:31 AM   #136  
Stazon Splitcoast

Whoa! I would SERIOUSLY question anybody who throws out tax advice who isn't a professional. I don't mean when somebody says something like, "there are tax advantages to being a demo," because that's fairly general, and there ARE/CAN BE tax advantages.

If somebody gets specific, though, like "You can write off your stamping room as a home office," or, "all of your stamps are now business expenses to be written off," RUN to a tax PRO to get the facts right for YOUR circumstances. What may well be true for Sally Stamper in Dover might be totally different for Debbie Designer is St. Paul, kwim?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:54 AM   #137  
Pearl-ExPert

I would love to be a demo- Am thinking about it. The only problem is I have a toddler and well enough said there. I also don't like that you can only use SU products during demonstrations. I like the card club concept of using whatever. Its just not worth 30% to me and there is no way I could sell 300$ a quarter.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #138  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ
Whoa! I would SERIOUSLY question anybody who throws out tax advice who isn't a professional. I don't mean when somebody says something like, "there are tax advantages to being a demo," because that's fairly general, and there ARE/CAN BE tax advantages.

If somebody gets specific, though, like "You can write off your stamping room as a home office," or, "all of your stamps are now business expenses to be written off," RUN to a tax PRO to get the facts right for YOUR circumstances. What may well be true for Sally Stamper in Dover might be totally different for Debbie Designer is St. Paul, kwim?
i completely agree i'm an accounting student at SSU in ca and different ppl definetly have different situations. please please seek professional advice when doing your taxes! ok nuf said....i don't think i could ever sign up as a demo because of several reasons...i think it'd take the fun out of it for me, i'm too busy, and i just like being a customer. hth the op
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 07:10 PM   #139  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ

Thank you SO much for saying this! I cringe whenever I read posts (usually around mid-March or so ;) ) asking about what to do for filing taxes. I know there are some old-pro demos out there who've been doing this since Nice and Easy Notes was a brand-new set, but it's a very bad idea to get your tax advice from an internet message board. Ask the people who get paid to do this financial stuff!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-07-2006, 10:15 PM   #140  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
I'm also a hobby demo. I only have to order $300 in retail (full price) each quarter. Then I take off the 20%, then add shipping and tax (8.25% here), so my total is just under $300.
I'm a hobby demo (mostly) too. I have to spend $286.50 per quarter ($95.50 per month) to stay active. Small savings but still savings!
My answer to the OP: I did finally sign up about 2 years ago. Me and my Mom had been stamping with our demo for about 2 years and we easily spent well over $300 a quarter. She had tried and tried to get at least one of us to sign up but we were both afraid of the time commitment. We just didn't put it together that just because you ARE a demo doesn't mean you have to actually demo! I do hold classes and workshops but only on my terms and when I feel like it. It has to be fun for me or I won't do it. That was my biggest fear ... having my beloved hobby turn into work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #141  
Stampin' Fool

Default Had to Respond to this Post...

Star Stamper is now my upline - as of yesterday! I just got word from SU that I am an official demo. :-D She has been asking me for two years why I didn't want to sign up as a demo since I was one of her "big spending customers". Well, after the new catty came out and I added everything up, I decided I would sign up for as long as I could keep up the quarterly requirement. Don't know if it will be one quarter or several years! I plan on being a hobby demo but with some workshops to build up a customer base. Currently I have only one friend who will buy from me but she's limited financially. Hopefully I can build up some business in the next few months.

A lot of posts referenced not being able to use non-SU products in their demos as a reason not to join. This was a big concern for me too. SU called me last night to clarify something on my application and while I had them on the phone, I asked about demo-ing using non-SU items like the heat gun. She said that she understood my question of having to replace a perfectly good item and said that I could use my heat gun and just tell the customers that mine is an old one and that SU has a heat gun that they can purchase. I am going to contact them again just to get a second opinion on this since I don't want to start out my demoship on bad info. If this is holding you back, you may want to check with SU on this as well. Please don't take my word for it.

I have a ton of SU stuff and sometimes wish I had signed up as a demo when I first started stamping. Oh well, I'm one now!

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #142  
Kookie Creator

My reasons are the same as many listed above:
I don't want to take direct business away from my demo, because she's one of my best friends
Although I could easily find enough to purchase to equal $300 a quarter to qualify as a hobbyist, I can't afford to spend that much
I have a full-time job
and I hate to drive, especially at night.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 11:22 AM   #143  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shanon
I get my demo's discount so why would I sign up? And....anytime there is a cool incentive to sign up...I already have what they are offering. Nuff said! :mrgreen:
I have heard that one a lot!
LOL
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 12:53 PM   #144  
Stampin' Fool

No one around here would buy from me. I am ok with being a customer and only obligated to 14.00 a month with the stamp club. I am a rep for another scrapbooking direct sales company with no minimums, and I also just signed up with Stuff A Bear and I see that being a real hit here. Scrapbooking and stamping is not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 PM   #145  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cwmwcw
Star Stamper is now my upline - as of yesterday! I just got word from SU that I am an official demo. :-D She has been asking me for two years why I didn't want to sign up as a demo since I was one of her "big spending customers". Well, after the new catty came out and I added everything up, I decided I would sign up for as long as I could keep up the quarterly requirement. Don't know if it will be one quarter or several years! I plan on being a hobby demo but with some workshops to build up a customer base. Currently I have only one friend who will buy from me but she's limited financially. Hopefully I can build up some business in the next few months.

A lot of posts referenced not being able to use non-SU products in their demos as a reason not to join. This was a big concern for me too. SU called me last night to clarify something on my application and while I had them on the phone, I asked about demo-ing using non-SU items like the heat gun. She said that she understood my question of having to replace a perfectly good item and said that I could use my heat gun and just tell the customers that mine is an old one and that SU has a heat gun that they can purchase. I am going to contact them again just to get a second opinion on this since I don't want to start out my demoship on bad info. If this is holding you back, you may want to check with SU on this as well. Please don't take my word for it.

I have a ton of SU stuff and sometimes wish I had signed up as a demo when I first started stamping. Oh well, I'm one now!

Cathy
Cathy - Thank you for posting this! Glad to see you took the plunge. Sometimes it is hard to step out of our comfort zone, especially when you've been used to just relying on StarStamper for everything as a demo. Now it's nice to see that YOU will benefit from being a demo yourself! Welcome!
Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2006, 01:39 PM   #146  
Mad Swapper

I had the paper work filled out and signed, ready to go. Then I put the brakes on. Can I meet the quota without laying out any money of my own? Can I fill workshops, stamp camps etc, with at least 4 people? After speaking to many people and getting a feel for what they want, no one was able to commit to a monthly thing. Maybe a party here or there, or a quartley workhsop. If I signed up I would have to have at least 4 parties a year (six would be my goal) and monthly workshops in order for me to benefit from the hostess sets and freebies. Let's face it 20% is nothing (you have to add tax and shipping) In addition to paying $199.00 + tax, of course I would want to buy as much as I can to get the 30% off. (Unless I had a huge order within the thirty days). I think SU is a very smart in their marketing area. CTMH offers demo's ( I am not a CTMH demo) 22-25 % and they give more bang for the buck with hostess benefits and freebies. I think SU should re-vamp their quota's and commissions. (Even thought they just change some things, I think it could be a little better) At this point I am on hold. I know I can do it and I love the product and quality. But I am an "A" type business person, who would want to make at least a few bucks. I don't want to worry about spending my own $ to meet min. If I am meeting my min and want to place an order for myself, that would be a +.

Just my 2 cents. Good thread. Happy Stamping
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #147  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetoscrap
I had the paper work filled out and signed, ready to go. Then I put the brakes on. Can I meet the quota without laying out any money of my own? Can I fill workshops, stamp camps etc, with at least 4 people? After speaking to many people and getting a feel for what they want, no one was able to commit to a monthly thing. Maybe a party here or there, or a quartley workhsop. If I signed up I would have to have at least 4 parties a year (six would be my goal) and monthly workshops in order for me to benefit from the hostess sets and freebies. Let's face it 20% is nothing (you have to add tax and shipping) In addition to paying $199.00 + tax, of course I would want to buy as much as I can to get the 30% off. (Unless I had a huge order within the thirty days). I think SU is a very smart in their marketing area. CTMH offers demo's ( I am not a CTMH demo) 22-25 % and they give more bang for the buck with hostess benefits and freebies. I think SU should re-vamp their quota's and commissions. (Even thought they just change some things, I think it could be a little better) At this point I am on hold. I know I can do it and I love the product and quality. But I am an "A" type business person, who would want to make at least a few bucks. I don't want to worry about spending my own $ to meet min. If I am meeting my min and want to place an order for myself, that would be a +.

Just my 2 cents. Good thread. Happy Stamping
Ok, that is me above. And I will still stand by what I wrote. I did in fact sign up. The only reason why I did is because I got involved with a large group of ladies (25) from a private school who want to make scrapbboks for teachers, gifts, etc. I also came across 2 other women who saw my work and said "I want to learn this" Ok, I thought, it is worth a shot. So I signed up last week and got me demo # on Monday.

Bottom line: I have three workshops planned for the next three Quarters. Holiday-Winter (Sell-a-bration) and Spring) So, I am NOT Stressing right now. (I think) LOL.

Like I stated above I beleive in this product. I have been attending SU Workshops and Events over 4 years. I am going into this with an attitude that if It works out great, if not, at least I would have made my money back for the starter kit! And I could always become a great customer again

Good thread. Thanks Everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-15-2006, 09:49 AM   #148  
Glitter Guru

I have been tempted so often to sign up as a demo but am too scared to do it. I don't want to start something else and have it fail. I have been a consultant for Home and Gift and that never worked out because I could not get a good customer base. I would like nothing more than to be a demo and make money from something that I love so much. I am afraid that I won't get the customer base needed to keep being a demo. One of the girls that I was in a stamp group with signed up as a demo and she took the customers that I probably would have gained so that really stopped me last year.

Maybe one day I will get up the nerve.
Sneek A Peak at my blog ===> Karen's Kreations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #149  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose
Okay, I'm a hobby demo, but I have a reason why it took me so long to sign up. I didn't know that you didn't "have" to do demos! I didn't realize for a long time, that I could be a demo without demo-ing. ]
What do you mean?? I was on here looking for information on possibly becoming a demo before I approach MY demo about it. Can someone clearly and concisely tell me what the commission rate is, and what the current discount rate is??

By what manner does a demo get paid her commission? Paypal? Auto-transfer? How frequently? Per show? Per week? Per month?

Where can I get good tax information and how it would apply to me if I chose to become a demo?

It too, would be difficult at this time - because there are so many demos in my area. Alot of my friends I stamp with use my demo, and I know they would feel OBLIGATED to help me out......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2006, 09:47 PM   #150  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would if I could afford it... as it is I'm trying to find a nice hobby-demo type person who wouldn't mind extending her discount to me! I order maybe a few hundred dollers of product each year and I would love to save some money. It's just hard to budget for stamps for myself when the kids need something...you know what I mean?

As it is I only get things I REALLY want because our budget with four kids is pretty tight. I just can't afford to be a demo with the quarterly minimums.

Tiffany

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 01:20 AM   #151  
Stampin' Fool

I demo for another company, Memory Works, the minimum is only 75.00 per year retail. I get the same discount as I would have gotten from SU. I belong to an SU stamp club and so I am only locked into purchasing 15.00 per month (I usually go way over), but I am not locked into it. I considered SU, but the minimum is a killer if you have a tight quarter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #152  
Stampin' Fool

I've always had demos that were just "demos", not "friends". A friend signed up to be a demo only if we'd all buy from her and do a Stamp Club with her. I'd rather support a "friend" that just a random demo. Yes...I COULD be a demo. I spend enough. But she made the leap first, and I'm happier to just let her take the plunge. If she ever quits, I might do it. I DOUBT it, but I might (just for the discount!). I would ONLY be a hobbyist, maybe have my friends (same ones that do it now) for a Stamp Club just to ensure that the minimums were met, but I am REALLY glad that my friend did it so that I don't have to!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 06:07 AM   #153  
Insane Embellisher

It's fun being just a customer. Being a demo is too much work!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 07:40 AM   #154  
Matboard Maniac

Default Heat Gun Correction

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynnewithane

I haven't finished reading the thread, so someone may have already done this, but.....
Here's an example of what I think you are trying to say.

Let's say SU is selling a heat tool for $30. At a 20% discount, a demo would pay $24 for the item.

Now, let's say Mike's has a new heat tool, priced at $40. With the usual 40% coupon, I would pay $24 for the heat tool.

We each end up paying the same price. At SU, it's 20% off a lower price. At Mike's it's 40% off a higher price. It all comes out in the wash. You pay the same price.

(These examples are completely ficticious......I hope I spelled that right.)

Several people have mentioned that even with the 40% coupon at Michael's is not that great considering their high markup and it comes out as a wash. I have personally found this to be totally false. The heat gun that Michael's has is at least $24.99 and with 40% it comes to $14.99 which is a whole lot cheaper than SU's $26.95 even with the Demo discount plus I did not have to pay shipping on it. They are even made by the same company! Michael's must price things differently in different parts of the country because I have found that their prices are considerably cheaper or the same as SU even before the 40% coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 07:58 AM   #155  
clean and krafty

Send a message via Skype™ to willosmama

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapsaDaisy
I would if I could afford it... as it is I'm trying to find a nice hobby-demo type person who wouldn't mind extending her discount to me! I order maybe a few hundred dollers of product each year and I would love to save some money. It's just hard to budget for stamps for myself when the kids need something...you know what I mean?

As it is I only get things I REALLY want because our budget with four kids is pretty tight. I just can't afford to be a demo with the quarterly minimums.

Tiffany
Tiffany- where in washington are you? I am in Federal Way-
I am always suprised at how many people you can meet here from your area!

Spellbinders DT Coordinator

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 08:02 AM   #156  
clean and krafty

Quote:

Originally Posted by conductorchik
What do you mean?? I was on here looking for information on possibly becoming a demo before I approach MY demo about it. Can someone clearly and concisely tell me what the commission rate is, and what the current discount rate is??

By what manner does a demo get paid her commission? Paypal? Auto-transfer? How frequently? Per show? Per week? Per month?

Where can I get good tax information and how it would apply to me if I chose to become a demo?

It too, would be difficult at this time - because there are so many demos in my area. Alot of my friends I stamp with use my demo, and I know they would feel OBLIGATED to help me out......
I think she means you do not have to actually do workshops/shows/camps as long as you meet your minimums. As far as the commisions, it comes off your total you owe when you place an order. If you make your monthly overides on top of the 20%, you get that in a check via direct deposit or snail mail, however you choose to set it up.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:23 AM   #157  
Die Cut Diva

Talking

you know to be perfectly honest, i really don't know! LOL my demo (who is also my friend) has told me a million times "you should sign up". I spend way over $300 a quarter as it is - i am a supply hog! this question has got me re-thinking it. maybe i should and maybe i just will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:40 AM   #158  
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi AJ...

I'm in Bonney Lake, so I'm only about 20 mins from you! I used to work for the scrapbook store that was in Federal Way.
It surely is a small world

Tiffany

Check out my current work at ScrapsaDaisy Designs

Every Monday is Daisy Day!

The Daisy Patch.. my SCS Gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #159  
clean and krafty

Wow- used to live in Bonney Lake! Miss the Ben Franklin out there!!
Which scrap store- the one that used to be by the old target? It's closed up now, cannot remember the name.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #160  
Gallery Gazer

My demo won't let me sign up under her. She said it would be too much competition. I'm too faithful to her to sign up under someone else. The sad thing is I'm always teaching people to stamp. I get them so into it that they end up wanting to buy stuff. So I send them to my demo. Maybe in time I will learn to be more aggressive and not so faithful. I'll have to sign up under someone else though.
Reply With Quote Likes