Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What silly stamping habits does your family have?

I made a card last night and as usual had to tear my husband from ESPN (a Red Sox game of all things:shock: ) to make him come and look at the card I had just made and like ALWAYS he takes the card, looks at me with this strange look in his eyes and flips the card open, totally ignoring the front that has what I want him to look at on it, just like every single time, and slams it shut and stomps his foot and makes this awful mad face, that he always makes and I just roll my eyes and crack up like always. After this he always hands me the card back with a mean look and then starts to walk away and then comes back, laughing at himself (dork) and tells me what he really thinks. It is the same thing every time.
He thinks that I should have something on the inside of the card or it just isnt "finished" and he can't look at these "unfinished cards" (like I said-dork:rolleyes.

Though I have told him a hundred times that I don't put anythign on the inside until I am ready to give it to someone he still opens them every time with this look of excitement and then gives me his silly look of defeat when he sees it is empty AS ALWAYS!

Only last night he added a "Now you are really steppin' it up with this card", where did that come from?!?

Anywho, what are your family's crazy, silly, funny stamping habits? I know they have some or am I the only one with a crazy husband??
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Fun thread!

So my mom always wants to see what I made or got in a swap or whatever. Well, when I see her, most often, she's with my dad because we're all going to dinner or something. So I'll look at them both and say "wanna see what I made? (or got a my swap or whatever)" And dad, WITHOUT FAIL always says "I'm supposed to say yes here, aren't I?" with this sarcastic, eye-rolling kind of tone.

He actually does enjoy giving feedback on creations and has even given me some creative ideas. But he ALWAYS says the same thing!

<---- (Aren't my nephew & niece cute? They take after their aunt, I think!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 06:44 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Same thing about the inside of the card . . . :rolleyes:

98% of the time the inside is bland -- I wait until I "need" the card to do anything inside. But everytime I have my DH or kids look at a card I've made, they all open it to look inside. Geesh, after all these years you'd think they'd have caught on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 06:45 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

Ok, the inside is NOT bland, LOL! That was supposed to be blank . . . oops!
Hmmm, I guess according to DH & kids the inside is bland though. Maybe that was a Freudian slip!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:29 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

I shocked my sweetie one time by putting something in the middle, he almost dropped the card..lol. As for stamping habits, my sweetie loves to point out one thing that is wrong with the card..lol.. Like if a layer is crooked or what not..I always laugh at him when he does that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:31 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankie
Same thing about the inside of the card . . . :rolleyes:

98% of the time the inside is bland -- I wait until I "need" the card to do anything inside. But everytime I have my DH or kids look at a card I've made, they all open it to look inside. Geesh, after all these years you'd think they'd have caught on!
I hear ya !~ but it sure doesn't stop me either...showing them off..
I also find that when I'm making the card, I keep a few pieces of the cardstock that I used for the card, tucked insdie, just in case I want to do something a little fancy inside too ! that way, it's all there, and don't have to search for which piece I used....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Oh boy- Any time I am not paying my full attention to my husband whether it be stamping or playing with our dog he will yell (at the top of his lungs in a very annoying voice) I AM THE BABY!! He thinks that I should baby him and pay attention to him at all times and when I do not he launches into this chant until I go hug or kiss him...it is quite hysterical.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

My dh will pop into my room to see what I've been up to. He'll sit there, look around to see if he could spot anything new, then he'll grab whatever projects are in front of me. He looks it over, sometimes front to back, then he puts it down and says, "Who is this for?" After I tell him, he then says, "Nice! They'll really like it!" Sometimes he'll say, "Can you make me something to put in my office. I want something new." He's really cool that way.

marlo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 08:59 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by nmslmomto3
I shocked my sweetie one time by putting something in the middle, he almost dropped the card..lol. As for stamping habits, my sweetie loves to point out one thing that is wrong with the card..lol.. Like if a layer is crooked or what not..I always laugh at him when he does that.
I will have to do that! Maybe i'll make something that will pop-out at him and scare the dickens out of him, he definitely wont be expecting anything to be in there!
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:11 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

lol that was what I was just going to suggest. Make a pop out card and see what the reaction is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:32 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

My boyfriend ALWAYS looks at the inside... and when I show them to him, there isn't anything in the inside yet...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:55 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

When I read your post, I thought is she talking about my husband. Every, Every, Every card I hand him he opens it up and looks inside. He never really says anything about the fact that there is nothing inside, but he always looks for something. About every 25th card, he says "Do you ever put anything inside?", I say "No.", and he goes on his merry way. The next card he opens it up, looks, says nothing, and then on the next 25th card or so, he asksthe question again .......Does he think at some point my answer will change? It won't, it's bad enough having to figure out what to do on the outside much less the inside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:03 AM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My husband just says, "cool," or "nice," or some other one word answer. I know he really does think it is cool or nice, but just doesn't have the words or the technical know-how to really appreciate what went into making it. Like when he creates this mongo database or something for school, I really have no sense of the amount of work or skill it took him to create it. But as long as we both realize the other is not qualified to be a great judge of our own work, and don't expect lavish praise, it works for us.
I just hope he's not secretly thinking, so this is what she made when she should have been doing the laundry/making dinner/cleaning the house!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:10 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

ROTFL...OMG...I do the same thing...I tear my husband away from what he is doing and demand that he look at my card. He immediatley opens it up...I say every time...dont open it...there is nothing in it! Look at the outside. I think we should just make a blank card with something inside and they would probably never even notice! This is so funny! Men are all alike.

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Oh just had to add this. My friends boyfriend always comments on her cards when she shows them to him. Constructive criticims and very positive feedback as well...but our favorite thing he says is:

There are to many "garnishments" on that card!

It just cracks us up! I catch myself calling my embellishments... garnishments! Isnt that just too cute!

http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=37017

Stampin' Up Sr.Supervisor
www.sodanajones.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #16  
Watercolor Wizard

My husband does the same thing… he looks at the front, opens it, and then tells me that it has nothing on the inside! I get the same response every time! ;)

I usually just take it back and walk off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

My DH does the same thing. He immediately opens it to see the inside first, then gives me a funny look. For a very, very long time he would just hand it back saying "that's nice honey", but he has realized that I am going to keep showing him my stuff so now he really gets into it. He loves to tell me what's wrong with it or gives me suggestions to improve it, or even just tells me what he really likes about it. I laugh to myself when he does this cuz he's so cute when he tries to be supportive - even when he has no idea what he's talking about! :rolleyes:

Q

Don't get your knickers in a knot. Nothing is solved and it just makes you walk funny. ~Kathryn Carpenter
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:00 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

I think guys open the cards to look for money... and then pretend they are looking for a message to cover it. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:20 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II
Oh just had to add this. My friends boyfriend always comments on her cards when she shows them to him. Constructive criticims and very positive feedback as well...but our favorite thing he says is:

It just cracks us up! I catch myself calling my embellishments... garnishments! Isnt that just too cute!
OMGosh . . . "garnishments" totally has me ROFLOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:25 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Maniac II

Cracks me up....I work in the managment office of a restaurant chain.....and garnishments are garnishments! Now whenever I have to type up something at work using the word garnishments, I will think stamping (embellishments). As if I don't think about stamping enough!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I always get the same reaction from my husband. "that's just precious" in that tone of voice that relays eye rolling, if you know what I mean. But, I know he appreciates them because every time we need a card for a birthday, mother's day, etc, he says "you're going to make one aren't you?" And, he's kept everyone I've made for him...

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 12:13 PM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

I work in a bank and garnishment is not a good word in the banking world. But at least I will have something funny to think about the next time I have to explain what that means.

Annetta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 12:44 PM   #23  
Crimping Master

LOL, I can totally relate to the original poster. My husbnad will do exactly the same thing. Look at the card then look inside and go "hmm" and lightly nodding his head. *rolling eyes here* Lol. Well we're the ones that enjoy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 01:18 PM   #24  
Mad Swapper

My husband everytime, looks at it and says "very nice". Lately he's been looking a little more closely though.

He's also started rolling his eyes when another envelope comes in the mail from the RAK group. He asked me the other day what I-RAK means, and when I told him Image Random Act of Kindness, he couldn't believe it!! Boy, did I get mocked!!!

Oh well, I know down deep he likes it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Yep, my husband always looks inside, too. And its always blank! But he always says its nice, and asks me to make cards for people, so I guess he likes them!

SAHM to Taryn 1/23/07 & Alaina 8/30/08
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #26  
Glitter Guru

My DBF used to do interior designing while in tech school (I don't know...dun ask ;) ), so he takes the card, looks at it, makes a face (not a bad one), and then tries to tell me that it needs something....usually an embellishment that I don't own. Duh. lol!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 02:05 PM   #27  
Polyshrink Goddess

Every time I finish making a card or a scrapbook layout I made DH stop what he have been doing and check it out. He always make very nice comments such as Wow that looks so awesome! You gotta make some more like this... he's very good with this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 02:14 PM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Dh doesn't have too many. He is kind of thrown by the blank inside. My fat cat on the other hand...loves organdy ribbon. I think he hears me open my ribbon case and comes in just to see what I'm opening. He'd eat it if I let him. I'll find him up on my craft table if I leave any ribbon out. He has to just taste it to see if it's organdy or not. Strange little animal.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I think my DH looks inside, to see if he is supposed to sign it. I usually have some sort of sentiment stamped inside, since I usually make cards for specific occasions (someone's birthday, for example), and I tell him for whom I made the card.

I think he also opens my cards, to make sure it opens the "right" way. Some day, I should make a 'lefty' card, to confuse him.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:06 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

It must be a DH thing because mine does the same thing. Most of the time he says really nice things about the card. Sometimes he will give me ideas for cards, but Shhhhh, he doesn't want anyone to know that he helps me. LOL:lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:17 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

My hubby kind of gets into my cards. He looks them over really close, and he'll be like I like thoes colors, or I like the hodgepodge on that, or I like what you did with the ribbon. It's really funny. I talk about SU so much he can name most of the colors that I have(I'm so proud of him). And he loves glossy cardstock. He tells his friends about it..Hahaha, he has come in my stampin room before and wanted to play with some glossy cardstock. It's sooooo cute. He doen't really stamp, but he has made me some cards before. They are so cute. He tries really hard.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:19 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCEmily
My hubby kind of gets into my cards. He looks them over really close, and he'll be like I like thoes colors, or I like the hodgepodge on that, or I like what you did with the ribbon. It's really funny. I talk about SU so much he can name most of the colors that I have(I'm so proud of him). And he loves glossy cardstock. He tells his friends about it..Hahaha, he has come in my stampin room before and wanted to play with some glossy cardstock. It's sooooo cute. He doen't really stamp, but he has made me some cards before. They are so cute. He tries really hard.:mrgreen:
Awwwww....that's so sweet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:35 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would say the silliest thing my DH does is try to talk to me during VSN. Well I guess it's not really silly it's down right stupid!
He's on the road all week so I only get to see him late Friday night, Saturday, and part of Sunday before he heads back out of town.But he understands how much I enjoy VSN so he just sits nearby and tries to stay out of my way. He was well trained long ago when I started quilting to ohhh and ahhh correctly. He does pretty well with the cards I make too.

Friends are like the walls of a house. Sometimes they hold you up, sometimes you lean on them. But sometimes, it's enough to know they're just standing by.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 09:54 PM   #34  
Insane Embellisher

For the last 7 years I've been stamping it has always been "I think it's very nice" (probably thinking 'she dragged me back here to show me this?') or "very cool." But when I read the work "garnishments" I instantly thought of his interest in all my various stamping gadgets and that he calls "accoutrements." He saw a Sizzix last December and bought me one for Christmas, he was so fascinated...since then, he has actually begun to scrapbook his Navy days - and did a VSN with me - as far I could go with it.

Cheryl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-17-2006, 11:29 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

JPMayo... I think you really need to make one of those exploding cards. I can't remember how you make them, but I'm pretty sure that the instructions are here somewhere. The only thing is that you really need to give it in an envelope. It might have a rubber band in there and some paper folded up specially and when you open it, confetti flies out! They are super fun. It has been quite a while since I made one, but my kids sure loved it! Maybe it isn't called an explosion card -- maybe someone here knows!

I can't really think of any family stampin habits (my husband usually just says "Yeah... that's nice" with his eye still glued to ESPN! But a good friend of mine stamps with her granddaughter often and that little girl is just so excited to learn new "Neck-tiques!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 03:28 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOTORMOUTH
I hear ya !~ but it sure doesn't stop me either...showing them off..
I also find that when I'm making the card, I keep a few pieces of the cardstock that I used for the card, tucked insdie, just in case I want to do something a little fancy inside too ! that way, it's all there, and don't have to search for which piece I used....
That is a great idea about tucking some extras inside of the card for later. I never seem to have the right colors then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 04:58 AM   #37  
Mad Swapper

My husband, the entrepreneur (so opposite of me in that way), always starts giving me suggestions of how I could start marketing my cards when I show them to him. I guess it means he likes them :-)
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightscrapper
Sometimes he'll say, "Can you make me something to put in my office. I want something new." He's really cool that way.

marlo
WOW! My DH is really helpful, especially with color combinations and layouts, but he'd never ever ask me to stamp something for his office. He barely tolerates it when I stamp his lunch bags. I'm jealous!
Reply With Quote Likes