Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 65 Likes on 60 Posts
Default What Should I Buy?

I'm going to get the Big Shot. I love the look of embossing. I have no emb. folders, no cuttlebug, so this is new for me.

I plan to get the SU Backgrounds l Texturz Plates. Do I need the Perfect Polka Dots embossing folder as well, b/c it seems like one of the texturz plates is just like it. I love the look of the perfect polka dots emb. folder, but I'm just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I've read that you spray rubbing alcohol on the paper and you can get a good impression with the texture plates.

Other than that, I am torn between the Beautiful Wings embosslit, the Top Note Die, the Finial Press Emb. folders, and the Buttons sizzix die. I like the look of buttons and was thinking that die might be useful in making buttons of any color.

Thanks for your input.

Erin
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure if you are looking to get everything from Stampin Up, if not, cuttlebug makes a really nice polka dot embossing folder, which is around $4.99 or 5.99 You can get them at most joanns michaels or hobby lobby and use a coupon. That would make it very affordable. You can use cuttlebug folders in the big shot with no problems.

Also, labels 8 nestabilities is pretty similar to the top note die, but you get a whole set of differnent sizes. Here is a picture of them, you get 8 dies in all. Some Joann stores carry them, hobby lobby also carries some nestabilities, and you can use a coupon. And these work great in the big shot too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:44 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to add, I have the SU texture plates and do not like them. But that might be just me...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The folders make a much deeper emboss than texturz plates. I like both, but the plates are more subtle. Their dots are also much bigger. You can spray with plain water too - it just takes longer to dry. You can't go wrong with the Top Note. The butterflies are also lots of fun.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my TopNote die, but I bought it before I ever saw Labels 8. That being said, I think I'd like the Labels 8 better because of the size options. The TopNote is used in alot of 3D stuff tho........so I guess I might consider the Labels 8

StampinOnThePrairie my poor little bare bones blog - but come say Hi !

Last edited by eaparham; 02-13-2010 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: add text
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Top Note and the Nestabilities Labels, and have to say I use the Top Note more. I like to make mini albums, and the Top Note cuts through chipboard, acrylic, and other heavy materials. (I even cut a Mountain Dew can for my husband's birthday card.) I have lots of dies from lots of manufacturers, and this one definitely gets a workout. I recently got the Butterfly Embosslet and like it too.

I agree with the above posters who say the embossing folders will give you a much more defined impression than the texture plates that SU and Sizzix sell. A polka dots folder is a must.

The Top Note die and Polka Dots folder are the best investments I made with my die cut machine.

Now is a good time to place an order with SU! given the extra Sale-a-bration freebies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:21 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I personally hate my SU textures plates. I never use them. The impressions are faint and I do not like that. I love the Sizzix folders. I do have the SU polka dot one and I like that one as it cover the entire cardfront.
I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Spellbinders Nesties. They are a awesome for diecutting and layering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I forgot to add - The FISKARS Textures plates even gives a better impression then my SU plates. So I do use my fiskars texture plates in my BigShot.
Reply With Quote Likes