Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-30-2006, 04:32 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What one thing in you stamping area could you not do without?

I am working on a stamping/scrapping area an need ideas. I have enough work stations for 3 people- if that helps.
Any favorite lighting, storage, seating, etc.....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 05:00 AM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Good lighting at all stations, and a stamping surface that is rock-solid (no plastic tables). I love my old gray metal office desk, but you'd hardly like to have three of those in your stamping area :-). I'm so envious that you will have an area where you can have friends over to join you! Good luck with it!
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 05:08 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

As much as I dislike the bulkiness of it, I love having my ink pads in a freely rotating carousel. It's one I purchased from someone online. It holds 48 pads, reinkers, markers & wheel cartridges. It spins so easily, so that when I am looking for a particular color, or just trying to gain a little inspiration, I just give it a whirl.

My mom just got an Ott-Light and loves it. She said her eyes are less stressed. You can't underestimate great lighting. You can match colors better & you will be able to see easier.

My itty bitty gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 05:46 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

If you are asking about things not supplies than I have to agree with great lighting. The other thing for me that is a MUST is my comfy office chair.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 05:51 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Besides the other things listed I love my pampered chef turnabout thing that holds my most frequently used supplies . . . there are many other systems, but I love haing those most used things at my fingertips
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

I couldn't live without my paper cutter. I have my large one on top of a filing cabinet so it is always there. No digging it out. The filing cabinet is also a must, it stores all my paper in hanging folders.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 06:13 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Looking around my office, I would say my favorite things are the display areas that I have for my cards, both my own and for RAKS. It definitely gets the most attention when guests come to my house. I would be at a loss with out my four drawer filing cabinet that holds all of my papers. I have a wonderful floor to ceiling bookshelf that holds all my stamps. My Ott light at my desk is great and I'd never give it up. My Pampered Chef tool turner also gets a spot on my desk. I have a place for my paper cutter - always out as I am always using it. And, finally, I love the rack that holds 100 cassettes that I picked up at a thrift store for $2. It holds all my ink pads. Unfortunately, I don't have enough room for people to stamp with me in my office. When I do have friends over to stamp, we go to the next room over where I set up some tables. Good luck with designing your new stamping area!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 06:21 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Ott-light- which one do you use? The True color or the Vision saver? Where do you get them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 07:23 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

My ginormous desk! We got this thing at a garage sale for $10, solid oak! It is a huge office desk with big super deep drawers. I can't be productive without it anymore. It holds gobs of papers, embellishments, all my adhesives, pens, etc. And then I have the top for my table. If only I could cart it to a crop.......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 07:38 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

My tv and dvd/vcr player. I always have it on when I stamp. Nothing beats an evening of movies and stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

My craft table! It is an old doctor's exam table (wooden). There are four drawers (horizontal) directly under the surface and a sliding cabinet underneath where I store stacked plastic bins. Granted I have to stand to craft, but I have always been one to stand while I craft anyway, even when I had a sit-down desk.

Also, a must have for me, my P-touch label maker. Not only are all the stackable bins labeled, but I also put a second label on the stamp sets. That way I can store them either lengthwise or width-wise.

As for actual stamping supplies... SU's stamp pad carousel. It is the BEST! In fact, I wish I could afford a second one right now. And I agree with Kelly above, I have gotten "color" inspiration from the carousel by turning it and seeing all the colors.

My avatar is Hobo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:00 AM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

The bare minimum necessities as I see it are:

1) Under the tool/non-consumable category: work surface, chair, lighting, paper cutter, scissors, ruler, trash can or tabletop scrap holder/trash. baby wipes or stamp scrubber and (although this is consumable) a roll of paper towels and a box of kleenex for those with allergies like me.

2) Consumables: adhesive, ink pads, paper, ribbon, pens/markers other embellishments, embossing powders, stickles, glitter etc.

3) Inspiration: magazines, stamp catalogs, finished projects

What if you have basic tools (see #1) at every table and then stations set up for the other tools like heat gun, die cut machine, xyron, light table with stencils and stylus (other things of this type) and if you want a computer and printer in case they want to print out their own sayings to put inside a card or for scrapbook pages. Then Iris carts or other storage labeled with the consumables (#2) and your stamps visible for use. For #3 maybe a comfy chair or chair and small table like a tv tray and light to sit and peruse the inspiration before returning to work station.

If you wanted you could provide adhesive at each table just in case they forgot theirs. And put a little goodie bowl or basket at each table with some sort of goodies. Oh and I did forget music and maybe some candles, and how about a little dorm fridge stocked with sodas and bottles of water. Each table could have one of those hanging drink holders to allow for more work space. And put one of those new Dirt Devil Cone vacuums on each table for cleanup or crumbs - I'm getting carried away, aren't I, well then how about a swiffer or one of lint brush things that has the tacky surface. And a bottle of Undu at each table. I use that stuff all the time - love it. So add Undu and swiffer or lint brush to my list of what to put at each table. You could put an Iris cart stocked with some of the #1 items at each table that way the table top would be clean, they could set their drink and munchies on the top of the cart and it would roll under the table when not in use.

And for decoration and to help designate each station in #2 and #3 I would put the wooden letters "Create" in station #2 and "Inspire" in station #3.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I sure had fun dreaming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:04 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

If you don't have an absolutely flat surface for stamping on, try getting an 11 x 17 inch piece of 1/4 inch masonite, smooth on both sides; or a 1/4 inch piece of plexiglass from the glass store. It will make your not so perfect table or desk or whatever you use into something much more reliable.

I agree with all the above about light! It needs to be good--true color is best, whether Ott or another brand. You'll be happier with your colors.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:07 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampinOma
The bare minimum necessities as I see it are:

1) Under the tool/non-consumable category: work surface, chair, lighting, paper cutter, scissors, ruler, trash can or tabletop scrap holder/trash. baby wipes or stamp scrubber and (although this is consumable) a roll of paper towels and a box of kleenex for those with allergies like me.

2) Consumables: adhesive, ink pads, paper, ribbon, pens/markers other embellishments, embossing powders, stickles, glitter etc.

3) Inspiration: magazines, stamp catalogs, finished projects

What if you have basic tools (see #1) at every table and then stations set up for the other tools like heat gun, die cut machine, xyron, light table with stencils and stylus (other things of this type) and if you want a computer and printer in case they want to print out their own sayings to put inside a card or for scrapbook pages. Then Iris carts or other storage labeled with the consumables (#2) and your stamps visible for use. For #3 maybe a comfy chair or chair and small table like a tv tray and light to sit and peruse the inspiration before returning to work station.

If you wanted you could provide adhesive at each table just in case they forgot theirs. And put a little goodie bowl or basket at each table with some sort of goodies. Oh and I did forget music and maybe some candles, and how about a little dorm fridge stocked with sodas and bottles of water. Each table could have one of those hanging drink holders to allow for more work space. And put one of those new Dirt Devil Cone vacuums on each table for cleanup or crumbs - I'm getting carried away, aren't I, well then how about a swiffer or one of lint brush things that has the tacky surface. And a bottle of Undu at each table. I use that stuff all the time - love it. So add Undu and swiffer or lint brush to my list of what to put at each table. You could put an Iris cart stocked with some of the #1 items at each table that way the table top would be clean, they could set their drink and munchies on the top of the cart and it would roll under the table when not in use.

And for decoration and to help designate each station in #2 and #3 I would put the wooden letters "Create" in station #2 and "Inspire" in station #3.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I sure had fun dreaming.
Well, I'm a doofus, this reply belongs in your other thread about a setting up a scrapping space for friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

I do have my OTT lamp desk light, haven't tried any other way. It has worked well for me. Good light is imporant especially when it's at night time! I got mine at 50% off at JoAnn's so keep an eye out for sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:21 AM   #16  
Glitter Guru

If I re-did my stamp room I would put in a high counter (that can seat 6-8 ) with swivel-top stools. That way people who like to stand while they stamp can have a high enough table to do that and people who want to sit can sit with the table at the right height.

Question // If art is subjective, then why are we objective in making it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:27 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

There are a few things:

Magnifying attachment for my Ott light cause my vision isn't what it use to be

Undu - cause I goof sometimes and need to move something I glued down

Large flat sturdy surface

Love, love, love my Tonic paper cutter

Pegboard and wall hung shelves - fabulous for storage

My label maker - I need everything labeled since I don't like a lot out in the open

Rolling chair - must be comfy - and an antistatic mat for underneath if you have carpeting

Computer and Printer

I'm planning my room and I'm thinking it would be neat to have a storage cabinet that I could store my die cut machine and dies, Xyron and my large Fiskars paper cutter with decorative blades, and anything else like this inside behind closed doors then I wanted to use them I could put them on the top of the cabinet and use it as a work surface. The height needs to be right, though. I like the idea of storing them inside to keep the dust off.

Two good posts, Lisadwb, I'll be following them for sure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 06:33 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

All of the above and CHOCOLATE!! ;)
Ronda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:55 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 675 Likes on 348 Posts

[QUOTE=kristransue]Besides the other things listed I love my pampered chef turnabout thing that holds my most frequently used supplies . . . there are many other sy

Can you give me a link to where I could see what this Pampered Cjef Turnabout thing looks like, and buy, if I like it? :-) LM

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:57 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisadwb
Ott-light- which one do you use? The True color or the Vision saver? Where do you get them?
I also would like to know this. LM :-)

Psalm 118:24--This is the day which the LORD has made;Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 08:59 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by myangels
Also, a must have for me, my P-touch label maker. Not only are all the stackable bins labeled, but I also put a second label on the stamp sets. That way I can store them either lengthwise or width-wise.
What is a P-touch labelmaker, and where can I buy it?

LM :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 09:29 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme
I also would like to know this. LM :-)

I like and use the True Color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by leanerme
What is a P-touch labelmaker, and where can I buy it?

LM :-)
It makes those labels that are one white tape (although they might have other colors) and look like they were typed out on the computer. I've seen them at Walmart in the office section. I'm also sure Office Depot would have them. I think they are pretty readily available. URL=http://www.millan.net][/URL]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:17 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

MUSIC!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 03:36 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I cant live without my OTT Light. It is just the little tabletop one, but I need the great light I get with it. Also a comfy chair is nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2006, 08:21 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Here's the link for the PChef tool turn-about

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=KW

For me, it's a must to have the things I use most often within easy reach. My inks are in a cassette rack on the wall behind me, my paper is in a 2-drawer file cabinet, in alphabetized dividers, and there's a table underneath my inkpads that has my tool turn-about, a 2-drawer chest with fibers, adhesives, etc, my ribbon holder and all my brads & eyelets. I have a plastic storage cart with several drawers. In it are pearl ex, heat gun, paint brushes, glitter, ep, acrylic blocks, wc crayons & pencil, chalks, envies, etc. I have a small table next to where I sit that has all my catties & mags, color wheel, inspiration sheets, etc. Wow, after all that, I'm surprised there's still room for me!
"Where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" Mt. 6:21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:43 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to say it would be my trash can. I cannot imagine what a mess I would be in without one! Pieces of this, tiny scraps of that, teeny bits of ribbon, backs of double stick tape...arrrrrrrrrggggggggggg

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 04:16 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I definately need my computer near by...to start. I love my Cutter Bee sissors so those are always within arms reach...and my glue. If I can't find my glue, I panic.

And....no one else has one of these...I need my DBF, Michael, near by because when I get stuck, he offers help and inspiration. Sometimes he picks a stamp set and says "Make a card out of this" and it just opens a flood gate. Yep....he's invaluable!
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 05:05 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

I have a storage unit that is all wooden.made very sturdey and has a turntable on the bottom,It hold all my stamp pads plus a lot of extra stamp pads.reinkers,little bottles,of stickles,glasy glaze,supplies.it holds my markers,wheel handles,whheels.if you don't want wheels there it can hold spoolsof ribbon.scissors.can be hungfrom the pegs.it is so awesome.I bought mine online from a guy called hank.he makes all kinds of storgae units for all your scrapbooking and stamping supplies.
here's the website.it is so worth the money you pay for it.
www.hankswoodcrafts.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 05:40 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would be hard to narrow it down to just one thing.

Here's a link to the stuff in my stamping room. (Although I've since moved and have a room specifically dedicated to stamping again.) Hmmm.. maybe one of my favorite things would be to have a DOOR to shut! ;)

My favorites:
  • stamp cabinet built by my mom
  • wood turnabout ink storage built by my mom
  • big oak desk with a secretariate and a little pull-out board (I seem to use the board an awful lot for extra stamping space)
  • foot rest beneath the desk
  • good lighting -- my extension lamp has one of those daylight bulbs in it
  • my paper rack that I got for free from a drugstore that was replacing some of their stuff
  • extra storage cabinets
  • shelves in my current stamp room for more storage
  • BIG trash can to catch the waste
  • my Dyson vacuum resides in my stamping room so it's easy to clean up what I drop
  • my paper cutter collection (I think I have about eight of them now)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 05:44 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a tiny corner of my kitchen to stamp in and 1 computer desk. I love my paper and I have stacking office trays stacked reeeaaalllly high because I love to see all my paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 05:49 AM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimberlyinMN
.. maybe one of my favorite things would be to have a DOOR to shut!
Yup, wish I had a door to hide both my stuff and ME behind it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My best is my desk! Custom fit Formica counter top with oak trim that fits in the closet on top of two-2 drawer file cabinets.

On top I have a thick piece of tempered glass. I love to stamp on glass, easy to clean up and never stains!

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Like many of the others...I think there are certain "essentials"...excellent lighting (have an Ott light and reveal bulbs in the overhead fixture), plenty of organized storage so I know where everything is when I need it, a good work area...I scored a free kitchen table with 4 chairs, and good tools (tonic paper cutter, kai scissors, quickutz, cropadile, etc). ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 07:20 AM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

I couldn't live without my guillotine cutter, or my picnic silverware keeper of tools.... in it, I keep aquapainters, rubber scissors, paper snips, hand held punches, Stamp-a-ma-jig, mini glue dots, 2 way glue pen, itty bitty backgrounds, CROP-A-DILE!!!, White gel pen... ect..... This way, I can take my tools with me easily (built in handle) and never forget something when I pack stuff up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 07:27 AM   #36  
Kookie Creator

You ladies are the BEST!!!! {HUGS} Thank you for your input. I have gained a lot of useful info here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 11:18 AM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I have 2 banquet tables back to back in my craft room. I keep a Lazy Susan in the middle that holds my eyelets and embossing powders. In a quick spin, I have things I need at my fingertips!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #38  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the PC tool turn about too and I love it. The SU Color Caddy is a MUST. After reading this thread I realize I really do need a different chair.

But my favorite other thing has got to be my outlet that is right within arm's reach of my table. I can emboss, add lighting, or play music without any hassle at all. It may seem like a small thing, but when you live in an older home with one outlet per room... placement is everything
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:06 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW Junkie
...my outlet that is right within arm's reach of my table. I can emboss, add lighting, or play music without any hassle at all. It may seem like a small thing, but when you live in an older home with one outlet per room... placement is everything
I have to agree! Just bought a new task light and it has outlets for electricity and USB connections for the computer on the base - awesome!!! I do have other outlets for music, but having an outlet "right there" for embossing or using a glue gun is so very handy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

In my old room the ceiling was unfinished, so I could staple things to it and it wouldn't matter, in my new room I have to be more careful. So what I am getting at is I miss my extension cord that I had stapled to the ceiling. It hung right over the middle of the table so that things like my heat gun cord would never hang off the table and get tripped over. Everyone around my table could reach the gun easily.
I never really think about it but I use it every day, the newsprint on my tables. I get it from the local newspaper. Large rolls of it for about $2. I couldn't live without it.
And my scrapbags that my mom makes have been really handy. At the end of the night I dump them into the recycling box. My customers love them.

Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes