Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Michael's Thinking

I just got word from my art teacher that the Michael's Corporations has stopped all classes except the cake decorating classes. Supposedly, a survey was done. I didn't get one. What about you? This means no more card making classes, no more scrapbook classes, no more art classes (painting), no more bead making classes, no more children's classes, no children's classes in the summer. I don't know about anyone, but I'm angry. I usually go to anywhere from 1 to 4 classes a month and more in the summer when I'm off. I take art classes under 3 teachers and our classes are always full sometimes with standing room only. We have 2 stamp clubs that meet and started out at Michael's once a month. Classes have been canceled immediately so if you have paid for a class, you might want to get your money back. If you are as mad as I am about this, contact Micahael's at the following:
By Mail
Michael's Arts and Crafts Store
Atten: customer service
8000 Bent Branch Dr.
Irving,TX 75063

By Phone:
1-800-Michael's
1-800-642-4235
8AM to 5PM CST

What were they thinking? I've been a loyal customer for serveral years. Thank goodness we just got an AC Moore store and they have stepped up to the plate in our area. Very disappointed in Michaels.

Please do not rely by PM or email. Just add your thoughts

sam
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

bump

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 07:55 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Yeah I heard about that as well. What a bummer. I am a Stampin' Up! Demo and I would to invite those die hard paper crafters to my monthly classes. No reason for those ladies to quit stampig and scrapping right? Maybe you could look into taking classes at someones home if they are offering them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #4  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Funds as if!

Stores always blame it on funds.
I would think stores would pull in even more money on class days.
I am certain of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2008, 08:24 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

What a bummer!
TSG Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am one of those instructors, on the Canadian side, and I was told the same thing late last week. The store is apparently 'reinventing' itself. Heard the rhetoric too about some survey having been done, yadda yadda. Lip service probably, because if there REALLY was a survey done, then they'd know what their customers want, and I don't think ANYONE said 'cancel the classes'.

Now that I'm no longer employed with this store, I can say that my opinion is that for a big box store, Micheals is so far behind the times and trends that they're lost in everyone else's dust. Their paper products are suitable for beginners only and they're horribly overpriced. It's their coupon program that keeps that part of the store in business. I don't know about the rest of the store . . . I never get any further than the craft section LOL

How many of you would ever shop w/o one?

The buyers need to be changed up. Get new blood . . . folks who understand their consumer. From a Canadian perspective, Mikes is the largest and only major craft supplier. Aside from the small independent stores. Mikes got fat dumb and happy and now they're paying for it. This is what I think is driving the change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

I must say I have never taken a class at M's, and the times I have been there when a class is going on it never appeared to be full. So, I suppose the popularity of classes depends on the area of the store itself. It seems odd that they would do a blanket "cut classes" instead of cutting them where they don't bring in $ and keeping them where they do. But, if they feel they are not adding enough to the bottom line then it is certainly their right to cancel the class offerings.

Perhaps, instead of telling M's to bring them back, which would only work if they could see an increase in attendance, contact the instructors themselves and ask if they will continue teaching classes outside of the store. Since those are the folks you have a relationship with anyway. Though, definitely contact M's if they canceled your class and haven't refunded your money!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:25 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm starting to wonder whether M's is in serious trouble. First, they were bought out, then they closed the Recollections stores. They brought in Martha branded products, which at least in my area haven't been a huge hit. So after what, a year or so of Martha not pulling, they bring in a new scrapbooking "exclusive" section?

I just noticed that they totally redid their beading section too. They got rid of most of the "value" packs and seem to be going for a more upscale look as far as the packaging.

I understand that they want to keep things fresh, but they have serious problems with their buyers. One thing that always confused me was in paper crafting. They'd carry punches with champagne glasses, trees, swirls, geckos, all sorts of "weird" images--but no 1 1/8 and 1 1/4 nesting squares and circles. Shoot, those 4 punches could replace any 4 random images, and they would probably outsell the old ones 10 to 1. But maybe the buyer thinks basics are boring? Shoot, they should know basics are bread and butter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

My SIL gave me a $100 gift card to M's a few years ago. Frankly, I had a tough time spending it. They just don't carry a good selection of quality stuff. Their cs is dismal, the rubber stamps look a decade old, the selection of inks is very limited, and Jen is totally right about the punches. I occasionally check out the Martha stuff now, but basically only go to M's if I'm desperate or need something for my kids' crafting and have a coupon. We have HL and a huge Joann's within three minutes of M's--can't see how M's is staying in business.

Now they're cutting classes...very strange business move. It'll be interesting to see where that gets them in the long run.

This year, SIL gave me a $100 certificate for Papertrey. OMG, I could have spent 5 of those in just a few minutes, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:37 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I agree with Wenchie. She said their paper products were basically for beginners, which is so true. Beginners do have to start somewhere and if they are calling me for SU, then Michael's would be the place to go for the price.

I just commented to my husband yesterday as I working looking through the M's ad, that their "sales" suck. Do you notice that there is NEVER anything for 50% off? Usually is only 20% (excluding the one 40% coupon) or 30%. I really hate their paper/cardstock. At least HL finally (my HL anyway) got some packaged BasicGrey (even though they don't get in "new lines"). I wish they would carry Bazzill. Mine has some packages of the Bling.

I rec'd a gift card for Michael's for Christmas 2006 and still have it because they never have anything good.

My Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/CardsByPia
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:48 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, I've fallen in love with ACMoore and hardly go into Michael's.

I agree with others that their papers are so far behind the times.
I did notice that they updated their beading selections, but that's not a biggie for me.
Their CuttleBug section is always OUT OF STOCK! They have nothing to choose from.
I've never taken classes from them. I actually just signed up for one at ACM.

Oh well, the only thing is, if they close, it's less competition for the other stores and maybe less sales????
My Etsy: katiesniche
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

There is a whole other thead on this subject in the announcements forum

Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Just an FYI!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:02 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ribbons and InkView Post
Though, definitely contact M's if they canceled your class and haven't refunded your money!
I want to clear up a misconception that although Michaels is cancelling all 'future classes', this is defined as . . . . NO NEW CLASSES WILL BE SCHEDULED. All classes currently on the agenda will go head. Once those schedules run their course, there will be no new offerings.

It has always been Michael's policy to refund students, under 2 conditions:

1. The store cancels the class; or
2. The student is unable to attend

It is also my understanding, that classes may resume, perhaps in August, with the exception of Wilton who apparently has a real contract with the store which forces obligations on both parties.

I think it'll be interesting to see what changes are put in place over the coming months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 04:54 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I posted over on the announcement forum in regards to the information that they would be keeping the kids class but making it $5 instead of $2...

As it is I rarely go to Micheals unless I truely need something...but around here other than Ben Franklin - Micheals is it for general crafting (we do have 2 great LSS so whew).

In the fall when my DH was hunting every Sat morning my girls and I would go to Panera for breakfast and then onto Micheals so they could do the kids craft and I got 20 minutes or so to wander around the store...on average I would say I would drop about $20 a week when i went - hunted out clearence and sale items that i didn't really "NEED" - but bought them because I had time to wander around by myself without having to stop every 30 seconds to say "Put that down...no you can't have any stickers...can you please not touch things...get up off the floor...."

But if they are going to raise thier prices to $5/kid - we won't be going every week...

A friend just got me into beading and I was hoping to take a few beading classes this summer...guess not know....if I don't know how to do it I guess I won't buy beads from them...

Very stupid move on Micheals part...I thought the whole Idea of classes was to teach people how to use the stuff their store sells so people would buy stuff from their store....even if you break even on the classes I would think you would reap the benefits down the line???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 05:35 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

They closed ReCollections and that had to be a money maker for them...so I'm not surprised now at the other decisions they are making. I got an online survey from them when ReCollections was almost closed but it was asking about what products I would like to see Michael's to begin carrying. I don't remember if it asked about classes or not...I've never attended a class at M's so I would have answered that way if they asked. I guess if enough people got this survey and it did ask, then that might have contributed to the cancelling of the classes. Sorry if I contributed to that but hopefully they will begin carrying better products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 05:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

It's been about 5 years now but I used to teach stamping and scrapbooking classes at Michael's and I hardly ever had any students. I cancelled about 75% off my classes because no one signed up. Michael's does very little to help promote classes or support their instructors and the pay was in no way comparable to what I used to make teaching at my LSS. One of the main problems is they leave everything up to the instructors, places like Archiver's have set classes that are professionally organized and they offer the same classes at all stores around the country, Michael's leaves it up to the individual.
I don't blame them for cancelling all classes, they either need to not hold classes or really invest in having a fantastic set of classes.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:06 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by twink62View Post
I just commented to my husband yesterday as I working looking through the M's ad, that their "sales" suck. Do you notice that there is NEVER anything for 50% off? Usually is only 20% (excluding the one 40% coupon) or 30%.
I have to say I disagree with this. When is the last time your LSS gave 40% off all stamps or even 30% off all inks? Does your LSS give a 40% off any item coupon twice a month? Do they honor competitors' coupons?

We only have one LSS here, but it doesn't do any of those things. While the products at Michaels are stale, I will say that they offer very good sales an coupons, so if you're looking for a basic craft item, you'll get it there at the best price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

This is why we NEED our LSS! They provide us with the classes etc...I believe this page clearly shows why we go to michaels-the coupons-I for one think I need to rethink by buying and go to a place that offers me the classes, keeps things in stock despite paying 10% more.

Elyssa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 06:59 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I am sincerely sorry that craft instructors were laid off. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by phunkymamaView Post
I have to say I disagree with this. When is the last time your LSS gave 40% off all stamps or even 30% off all inks? Does your LSS give a 40% off any item coupon twice a month? Do they honor competitors' coupons?
Exactly. Most businesses can't sustain those kinds of frequent deep discounts and stay in business. I imagine that we'll see coupons less frequently in the coming year.

I'm gathering that Michael's closed their 11 Recollections stores because the national scrapbook market is waaaay oversaturated and it makes more sense to bring focus to the general crafts market under 1 roof. That (hopefully) means more cash flow to existing stores for improvements and updates.

As for kids' classes at $5/each -- that's a steal! When I taught (not at M's) I charged $7-$10 (usually 2 projects in a 1-hour class) per student and that was too low. After accounting for time for project development, the cost of supplies, prep time, teaching the class (and acting as a babysitter), it totally wasn't profitable for me. [Just a little perspective on class fees here -- not meaning to scold or embarrass anyone.]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 11:02 AM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

I was a card/scrapbooking instructor at M's and most of the classes that I was scheduled to teach were cancelled b/c of lack of participation. It was the instructor's responsibility to recruit students. That was a pain! It got old really quickly. I think I actually taught about 3 classes... over a period of 5 months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 12:13 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinspadivaView Post
I was a card/scrapbooking instructor at M's and most of the classes that I was scheduled to teach were cancelled b/c of lack of participation. It was the instructor's responsibility to recruit students. That was a pain! It got old really quickly. I think I actually taught about 3 classes... over a period of 5 months.
That is so sad that you didn't get to do more classes...:( I worked at Hobby Lobby for approx. 4 years and our store really never did well with classes either. I was the classroom supervisor and the scrapbook classes never really took off either...I also taught the Wilton Classes...Michael's will keep those because of a contract the company signed with them...same as Hobby Lobby and JoAnnes...I noticed our Michael's store have been cleaned up considerably...They used to be dirty and nothing was where it was supposed to be...

Restructuring isn't always a bad thing...sometimes at first it is difficult and annoying but sometimes companies can come back from near extinction...

BTW...Hobby Lobby is also discontinuing some of their BIG sales as well...I have noticed they have introduced 25% off coupons (insteasd of 40% off) a few times and smaller discounts on some things that used to be disco to 50% off...Times are a changin'...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 01:09 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

real bummer! I never took any classes at my local Ms b/c they were usually behind the times and it wasn't my style. However, my kids love to go to Ms and attend the Saturday kids class. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2008, 02:20 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatherHolbrookView Post
It's been about 5 years now but I used to teach stamping and scrapbooking classes at Michael's and I hardly ever had any students. I cancelled about 75% off my classes because no one signed up. Michael's does very little to help promote classes or support their instructors and the pay was in no way comparable to what I used to make teaching at my LSS. One of the main problems is they leave everything up to the instructors, places like Archiver's have set classes that are professionally organized and they offer the same classes at all stores around the country, Michael's leaves it up to the individual.
I don't blame them for cancelling all classes, they either need to not hold classes or really invest in having a fantastic set of classes.
Ya, what she said!

I had the same experience. I invested a lot of time and energy in putting together a very professional write up/wall display, not to mention the driving back and forth to get these done every month only to find that the store really did very little to promote beyond giving instructors a spot on the wall and most of my classes were also cancelled. In fact, in one store, they had my displays so near to the floor that no one ever saw it. I was already struggling with the issue of whether to continue or not, so I wasn't too broken up over them taking the decision out of my hands.

The store nearest to me will not even be hosting kids events or b/d parties anymore. I would have thought that those were real cash cows. I don't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Our LSS (the only one left) has started taking Micheal's coupons one day a month. When I worked there it was always a very busy day! It's a smart idea, it gets people in and they use the coupon there instead of at Michael's

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 05:59 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

A few of my thoughts on Michael's:

1.) They probably wouldn't be in so much trouble if they'd actually have stuff we wanted to buy and maybe update their stock once in a while.

2.) Be consistent. Some M's will give you the discount without the coupon, some won't. Some honor competitors' coupons, some don't. Mine here closest to me does NEITHER.

3.) Provide consistent and good customer service.... on behalf of my Scout troop I have called their three times in the last year about a class and NEVER had my call returned.

4.) Spend time with their employees and educate them some. Even on my basic questions, they NEVER have an answer.

Sorry about the complaints, but if they are having "problems," with their bottom line or otherwise, there really is a lot they could do!

C.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says-oh crap, she's up

Quote:

Originally Posted by CynamomView Post
A few of my thoughts on Michael's:

1.) They probably wouldn't be in so much trouble if they'd actually have stuff we wanted to buy and maybe update their stock once in a while.

2.) Be consistent. Some M's will give you the discount without the coupon, some won't. Some honor competitors' coupons, some don't. Mine here closest to me does NEITHER.

3.) Provide consistent and good customer service.... on behalf of my Scout troop I have called their three times in the last year about a class and NEVER had my call returned.

4.) Spend time with their employees and educate them some. Even on my basic questions, they NEVER have an answer.

Sorry about the complaints, but if they are having "problems," with their bottom line or otherwise, there really is a lot they could do!

C.
EXACTLY!!! Maybe this thread should be sent to them!!! Hello??? Michaels are you listening???

are you a bereaved parent too? http://www.thecompassionatefriends.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 174 Likes on 130 Posts

i called yesterday to get a clear answer. yes they have stopped the classes. but the woman i spoke to say...
1. the survey was is house only. not for the public.
2.yes classes canceled.
3. new classes are coming back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #28  
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:

We only have one LSS here, but it doesn't do any of those things. While the products at Michaels are stale, I will say that they offer very good sales an coupons, so if you're looking for a basic craft item, you'll get it there at the best price.
Our LSS does have % off coupons. Between 30 and 40% off. Pretty much anything with a few exceptions just like M's or J's.

They are always well stock with the lattest and offer and big anount of classes.

If you were to talk to the owner of your local LSS store and mentioned classes they could offer and the monetary benefits to them I am sure they will rush to do them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Well ladies and gentlemen,

At least I'm not alone. Our teachers have scambled to meet elsewhere for classes. Some locations are actually better and some are not. The sad thing is we had great teachers at our M's and classes were full. Even if they start classes in August, I'm afraid they have lost their excellent teachers. AC Moore is carefully picking teachers up one at a time. But it is my understanding that they have got all kids' programs including the summer. The only thing M's is teaching now is the cake decorating.

sam
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 04:11 AM   #30  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

What gets me about Michales is the variance between the stores. We have 6 or 7 in our area and they are all different. Some are great and some are terrible. I don't get the big bead thing - is there some big beading movement going on? Has your Mikes been playing hide the magazines and books? It seems that everytime I go in I have to hunt for them. I really think they need to have someone better running the company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #31  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Just read some financial reports about Mikes - oh my, not a nice corp. Their CEO just resigned and chairman of board of directors is in some hot water. It seems that Mikes has some shady business practices at the corp. level and they mis-stated their earning potential a fews years back that made their stockholders a bit "angry", and several lawsuits over employee relations. Hmmmmmm... wonder what's going to happen in the future?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 06:25 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Just read some financial reports about Mikes - oh my, not a nice corp. Their CEO just resigned and chairman of board of directors is in some hot water. It seems that Mikes has some shady business practices at the corp. level and they mis-stated their earning potential a fews years back that made their stockholders a bit "angry", and several lawsuits over employee relations. Hmmmmmm... wonder what's going to happen in the future?
WOW! That's interesting to hear. I just quit there a few weeks ago but I have been told that Mike's was bought out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-04-2008, 09:40 AM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

I happened to be in a Michael's yesterday with my grown son. I was looking for something to use my coupon on and son said "Wow, they have a lot of papers". It does seem that a good portion of the store is devoted to scrapping/paper merchandise. While checking out I asked the girl at the register what she thought were the big sellers. She said it is mostly Wilton and beading supplies. This was a big surprise to me.
Reply With Quote Likes