Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What makes a great card?

If you had to name one or two things that an outstanding card must contain to be great, what would it/they be?

I find myself looking at the gallery and finding a smattering of oooooooh cards and then try to identify exactly what it is that makes them stand out, and I just can't find a common element. Same if I look at those that seem the most popular.

Is there a common element? Is it embellies, bling, sparkle? Texture, colors, coloring, background, dimension, theme, sketch? Image? Simplicity, variety, elegance, size, shape - what?

In your opinion, what one (or two) elements must a card have to be special?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good question, I think the same thing sometime, especially when I look at my own cards. I think it's the color combinations and the paper used. You can have the best bling on you cards, but if the colors or paper don't look good, neither does your card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:45 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmmm. Well, often it's a combination of a variety of things--I honestly dunno that it can be narrowed down to just one or two single elements.

I would venture to say that the most striking of cards contain a combination of some of the following, in common:
  1. Well-balanced in composition
  2. Feature an appealing color combination
  3. Quality craftsmanship (no smudges, crooked layers, frayed edges, bent corners, etc.)--have the essence of being hand-made, as opposed to home-made (if that makes sense)
  4. Strong attention to detail, i.e. carefully chosen embellishments that reflect or compliment the style of the piece overall
The above holds true, IMHO, whether the design is simple, cute, elegant, country or avant garde.

*chuckle* This may be one of those, "I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it." kinda things . . . ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

1 - Neatness, neatness, neatness!
2 - color coordination
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

design...a good design can make very simple elements look great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

What everyone else said and: a good photograph can make or break how your card appears to others on the computer screen.

But photography aside, when I make a card I always try to make it "me." I like colours, not too many layers, very cool main image etc. and that's what I enjoy when I look at other's cards. People who make cards with tonnes of layers and frou-frou -type embellishments (lots of nestabilites borders etc..) don't appeal to me, BUT some may say that's what they look for in a card!

I started a thread a few weeks back about what makes a "WOW" card, and the answer was basically "It's all relative!" Enjoy cards freely, make whatever you want and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieHRRView Post
I would venture to say that the most striking of cards contain a combination of some of the following, in common:
  3. Quality craftsmanship (no smudges, crooked layers, frayed edges, bent corners, etc.)--have the essence of being hand-made, as opposed to home-made (if that makes sense)
  4. Strong attention to detail, i.e. carefully chosen embellishments that reflect or compliment the style of the piece overall
The above holds true, IMHO, whether the design is simple, cute, elegant, country or avant garde.
EXACTLY!

SU Creative Crew Design Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
What everyone else said and: a good photograph can make or break how your card appears to others on the computer screen.

But photography aside, when I make a card I always try to make it "me." I like colours, not too many layers, very cool main image etc. and that's what I enjoy when I look at other's cards. People who make cards with tonnes of layers and frou-frou -type embellishments (lots of nestabilites borders etc..) don't appeal to me, BUT some may say that's what they look for in a card!

I started a thread a few weeks back about what makes a "WOW" card, and the answer was basically "It's all relative!" Enjoy cards freely, make whatever you want and have fun!
That was my first thought too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 06:21 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Hmmmmm. Well, often it's a combination of a variety of things--I honestly dunno that it can be narrowed down to just one or two single elements.

*chuckle* This may be one of those, "I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it." kinda things . . . ;)
I agree. You can have the prettiest colours and the straightest layers but if the design of the card is off, it's not really going to make the card a "great" card.

And I totally agree about the hand-made vs home-made. I love looking at some of the great card maker's work, it LOOKS designerish. They understand the design elements, they know where to place their embellishments, which papers to choose and they can push the boundaries and still come up with a winner.

I spend a fair amount of time checking out designers that seem to understand what makes a great card, I CASE them and I think eventually it starts to rub off a little!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Quote:

I have to respectfully disagree. I love layers upon layers with dsp, embellishments, but I can still spot a well made 1 layer card a mile away.

So while I may love the very detailed cards, but I can still be wowed by a simple card done well. I do think that there are certain elements to a "WOW" card wether it's simple or over the top, it still has to follow some of the rules already mentioned.

Eg. Take a 1 layer card and add one butterfuly to each of the four corners, not much to wow about that. Now take 3-5 butterfies and line them up in the center of the card and you have a "WOW".

IMO it doesn't matter wether the card is simple or intricate, it needs to follow the basic composition rules, colours that work together, and be put together neatly. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 06:38 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with everthing Julie said PLUS the great quality photo and craftsmanship. It's like anything...you can give someone the very best supplies but if they don't know how to use them it won't look good. Yet a master craftsman can take sub par supplies and turn it into a work of art by making the best out of it. That is the ART of paper crafting
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Ahhhhhh, that's exactly what appeals to me the most! (tons of layers and frou-frou) Also, I love seeing great colouring, if there is an image that is coloured.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 08:52 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

What an interesting question! I agree with Julie and would summarize her four points into one word: unity. All the "pieces parts" have to relate to the whole, and the whole has to make sense.

For instance, if a card has cute, upbeat images and a cheerful message, but is made with somber colors, no amount of balance in the design or embellishment will make it work. Embellishments used just to balance a design visually but which have no relation to the overall meaning of the card disrupt the unity, as well. All the parts need to be unified into a coherent and cohesive whole.

And that is REALLY hard to pull off whether you're using ten layers and twenty embellishments, or just one layer and ink. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

1. If it makes me smile or laugh
2. Lovely color combinations
3. If I think, "I would love to receive this card."

Karen S
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:14 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Wink

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. I love layers upon layers with dsp, embellishments, but I can still spot a well made 1 layer card a mile away.

So while I may love the very detailed cards, but I can still be wowed by a simple card done well. I do think that there are certain elements to a "WOW" card wether it's simple or over the top, it still has to follow some of the rules already mentioned.

Eg. Take a 1 layer card and add one butterfuly to each of the four corners, not much to wow about that. Now take 3-5 butterfies and line them up in the center of the card and you have a "WOW".

IMO it doesn't matter wether the card is simple or intricate, it needs to follow the basic composition rules, colours that work together, and be put together neatly. :p
I think what Tobi meant was that regardless of what appeals to you personally in terms of style (whichever spot on the spectrum of intricate to minimalist a given piece might fall) and makes it a "WOW" for you the beholder, there are distinctive commonalities that run the same--visual balance, use of color, pattern, embellishment, quality of craftsmanship, etc.

And, the general consensus of the thread she mentioned, was that folks should enjoy creating in the style that suits them most.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
What an interesting question! I agree with Julie and would summarize her four points into one word: unity. All the "pieces parts" have to relate to the whole, and the whole has to make sense.
Aaah, yes! Well summarized!

Quote:

For instance, if a card has cute, upbeat images and a cheerful message, but is made with somber colors, no amount of balance in the design or embellishment will make it work. Embellishments used just to balance a design visually but which have no relation to the overall meaning of the card disrupt the unity, as well. All the parts need to be unified into a coherent and cohesive whole.

And that is REALLY hard to pull off whether you're using ten layers and twenty embellishments, or just one layer and ink. ;)
Yup, that it challenging! But, when you do nail it, dang is it ever sweeeeet!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Hmmmmm. Well, often it's a combination of a variety of things--

Hey HRR - you said it all.

I'm big thing on colors - I quit doing some of the challenges because I just couldn't get behing the color combos

It also have to be quality materials - a card can have a great design but if its made with "construction paper", faded ink, image not stamped clearly, it's not a wow

I go either way on CAS or loaded up like a banna split, but it has to be done well

I don't care for what I call "girly" cards because they are not my style. I can appreciate the workmanship, but it won't make my little heart go pitter-patter if it has lace or a victorian look.

So all in all, it's personal choice but it has to be done really well. Oh, and not look like everyother card in the gallery. I see too many of the same thing - the wow cards are usually something I've never seen someone else do in the same way. KNWIM?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Intresting thread. for me important elements are the coloring neatness & color cordination. I think a good layout/design is a must.

All in all I think what makes a great card great is all relative. you know beauty is the eye of the beholder & different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Interesting discussion on this thread! I agree that a lot depends on personal preferences, but also believe there are some basic elements that go into a great card. In my mind, there is also a difference between a "great" card and a "wow" card. Not every card has to have a "wow" factor to be beautiful card that I would love to receive. I think that those things already discussed are important - colors, unity of embellishments, etc. But I also think that just as is true in scrapbooking, there are some basic design principals that help to draw your eye to a card... the "flow" of the card is important and is affected by the placement of the images, the use and placement of a highlight color, etc. When all these things come together, you have a great card!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabestampin'View Post

disagree with what? that's exactly what i was saying.. layers, no layers, easy, hard, i like them all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

I think it is an interesting question too.

Because i'm betting if you asked 20 people to pick 5 "wow" cards from any random selection of say 20 gallery cards, you'd have mixture of loaded, Cas, and anywhere in-between cards. But I'm betting the ones that never got chosen would be those that lack those qualities mentioned: great composition, color coordination, finishing, neatness, cohesive design etc.

So while personal taste factors in, there are "wow" features that we all respond to also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:22 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

But I love this card by Loretta Lock:
IC206 Whimsical Vintage by lorettal at Splitcoaststampers
and the snowmen on it are cute and upbeat but I love it precisely because it is made with somber (well, vintage) colours (black, brown, burgandy). This card is a WOW card for me (and at least 18 other people - there are 19 who favorited it).

Last edited by SophieLaFontaine; 02-08-2010 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #23  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
But I love this card by Loretta Lock:
IC206 Whimsical Vintage by lorettal at Splitcoaststampers
and the snowmen on it are cute and upbeat but I love it precisely because it is made with somber (well, vintage) colours (black, brown, burgandy). This card is a WOW card for me (and at least 18 other people - there are 19 who favorited it).
Oh, I think of those colors--used as they are on this wonderful card--as more cozy and warm and vintage, not somber. My point is that all the pieces work together for an overall effect, without jarring elements that don't fit. I agree with you completely: there's nothing jarring on that card. It's very unified and balanced and lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 02:47 PM   #24  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Quote:

Oh, I think of those colors--used as they are on this wonderful card--as more cozy and warm and vintage, not somber. My point is that all the pieces work together for an overall effect, without jarring elements that don't fit. I agree with you completely: there's nothing jarring on that card. It's very unified and balanced and lovely!
A case where the designer pushed the envelope, breaking from the expected to produce something unusual and it works!

And, that's quite a skill--not everyone can pull that off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM   #25  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post
Intresting thread. for me important elements are the coloring neatness & color cordination. I think a good layout/design is a must.

All in all I think what makes a great card great is all relative. you know beauty is the eye of the beholder & different strokes for different folks.
This sums it up perfectly.

To me, it changes continually. One day I am just enthralled by the CAS (ala JulieHRR). The next I find a multi-layered, well-balanced beauty by YvonneAna and that does it for me.

A well photographed card helps, I think. Nothing like pouring your heart into a card and then not being able to capture it's true beauty on film, to share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:01 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

Quote:

disagree with what? that's exactly what i was saying.. layers, no layers, easy, hard, i like them all!
Just ignore me...I must be off my rocker!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Color combo & unique design
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:08 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

A lot of the attraction is in the eye of the beholder but since cardmaking is an art form, following the principles and elements of design will give you great results.

Principles - Contrast, Repitition, Rhythm, Harmony, Unity, Balance, Dominance and Gradation

Elements - Line, Value, Shape, Color, Movement, Size and Pattern

Look at a card that you think is truly great and see how many of these apply.

Cathy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireles4View Post

I guess this is why we all live in different houses, with different furniture, and rearrange it all the time Different tastes and styles that like to change it up once in a while.

I just love how we are able to inspire one another with our individual styles and tastes
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

I've enjoyed reading the posts from all of your regarding what is your view of a great card. Not to hijack the thread, but is there a place here on SCS that actually "teaches" about composition and such? I know I've heard of the "rule of 1/3rds" (I hope I have that correct) but I've never actually sat down and been taught it (and I happen to be a very hands-on learner.) Because of that, I don't know that I totally "get" that rule - by that I mean, I'm not sure I would be able to do it correctly - so I just wondered if it posted "officially" somewhere?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:06 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
I've enjoyed reading the posts from all of your regarding what is your view of a great card. Not to hijack the thread, but is there a place here on SCS that actually "teaches" about composition and such? I know I've heard of the "rule of 1/3rds" (I hope I have that correct) but I've never actually sat down and been taught it (and I happen to be a very hands-on learner.) Because of that, I don't know that I totally "get" that rule - by that I mean, I'm not sure I would be able to do it correctly - so I just wondered if it posted "officially" somewhere?
It's actually the rule of "3rd's".. Meaning that our eyes are pleased by things grouped in three.. three hearts, three flowers etc.. AND also dividing your project visually into thirds ie: if you were using two different patterned papers and wanted to use them both as a background you wouldn't simply divide the space in half you would have one paper take up 2/3 of the space and the other paper take up 1/3.

someone who is better with the words can probably better explain, but that's a snipit of that idea..

you can see the patterned paper on the bottom goes up about 2/3 of the way, and i've used three embellishments (ribbon, sentiment, flower..)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:16 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoJoView Post
Well, first of all, I think you summed it up perfectly - because I get it! And clearly, the fact that I had the whole 1/3 vs. 3rds idea off, showed that I REALLY didn't get that concept yet! LOL! I love your visual, which really helps a person like me get it. I also didn't know that it applied to embellishments (like three of something) OR the fact that you could break up those three things (like your card sample showed of ribbon, sentiment and flower.) That's such a subtle way of using that "rule", but I see how it totally works. Thank you, so much, for taking the time to explain it. I hope I can start putting it to good use now!
you're welcome! like i said though.. there are a tonne of graphic artists on here that can explain this fully and a lot better than i did.. I have a lot of students who are visual learners and I understand how hard it can be without the visuals.. good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

I think what makes a great card is if you like it. If it appeals to you. You being either the creator or the admirer.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks, all, for your input. At times, when I was reading responses, I felt like I needed an art degree - kept reminding myself this is a hobby not a profession (for me at least)! I did get some good ideas on new ways to approach a card. Like maybe start from a different perspective (e.g. I tend to color my image to match my bg). Thanks again for your help; I'm going to print off your responses to help keep thoughts fresh when I'm "composing" my cards and see how that works.
Reply With Quote Likes