Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what made you get into this hobby?

I was curious as to some of our stories...why everyone here started on this hobby?? My sister asked me if I wanted some SU! stamps (she showed me the catty) or a garden gift certificate (I'm a big gardener). I wasn't really interested in making a card (although I loooved the catty). I went with her stamping suggestion and the rest is history, along with my money. Now I've got 2 hobbies that cost an arm and leg (gardening is pricey too when you buy roses, lilies,etc. and always have to have the latest plant/magazine/book). All I can say is, at least I'm using the creative side of my brain, which hasn't had a workout in a while!

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:28 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I had been to a SU party a loooong time ago...maybe in the mid nineties. I bought one stamp set....it was so cute...little angles that you stamp in a corner. But I still didn't really get into stamping at that time. In 2001, I got a new boss who loved crafts but especially stamping. She moved on to another job within the company but we were already best friends by then and I had already gone to my second SU party by then so I was kind of in to it. So it must have been around 2002 that I became hopelessly addicted to it...but what a fun addiction...my life would be so empty without my rubber stamps to keep me busy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

my husband's aunt has a SU workshop, and she invited me to come. i must have been hiding under a rock - i hadn't heard of SU, and wasn't sure what i was getting into. i had a great time at the party, and bought a black pad and a "basic - use for everything" set.

i thought it was fun - but decided i wouldn't go crazy with it....hehehehehehehehehehhehehehe...about 4 years, and LOTs of sets later.....i "think" i'm hooked!

"I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.
- - Vincent van Gogh
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:41 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

My sister had been a demo for years, but I hadn't been particularly interested in taking up this hobby. Then, a friend insisted I stamp with her one day because she was sure I would enjoy it. I'm now my sister's downline. That friend ended up costing me a lot of money. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:45 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

I had went to a stamp camp with a friend of mine in 99 and fell in love with the craft. I bought some basic stuff and used it. About 3 years later I got pregnant and as you all know, with a new baby, and working full time, you no longer have free time. So the hobby that I had loved so much, now ended up in a rubbermaid container under my bed. And then it happened. Last year, around this time a friend of mine was having a party and boy was it like riding a bike. I am stamping again and loving every minute of it. My son, who is 4 now even stamps with me!!!!! I am totally addicted (and in debt!)

Go ahead and add me to your buddy list..I dare you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:46 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I wholeheartedly blame my mother (i do this with much love, because it has brought us closer) - she took me to my first CTMH show. I had so much fun within 6 months I became a consultant. It was an instant addiction, and not at all like the other hobbies I had tried. Now I'm taking the next step and teaching at a National Convention.

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

A friend at work invited me to a workshop about 10 years ago. That demo wasn't too helpful- I didn't know then what I NEEDED. I didn't order a thing, but went straight to ACMoore and got some stuff. A couple of months later went to another party and found a very helpful demo. Word to the wise- don't ignore the newbie in the corner-she might be your best customer!

Blueyes-where in upstate? I'm in Binghamton.
have you seen this thread about a get-together in Endwell?? Forums at Splitcoaststampers
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A friend invited me to craft day at a women's bible study group and one of the tables had embossed cards ready to color in. We both decided this was something we wanted to pursue. So, instead of asking questions, like how to get started we ventured out on our own. We bought a few individual stamps, regular office type stamp pads, embossing powder and Staples card stock. We stamped our image, getting ink all over our fingers and poured embossing powder over it. Then placed the card on a grill that was built into my friends stovetop. Needless to say, we scorched the paper and the embossing powder did not stick. A few weeks later, my cousin invited me to my first SU party and there I learned about all the neat stuff. I was hooked from then out and 4 years later became a deomonstrator.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Red face i got into it

Actually my sister started me on it. My neice was into scrapbooking. I went to 1 class bot sum stuff.did 1 page n just cudn't get into it.. This was about 5 yrs. ago..Last year my sis asked me to go to a card stamping class w/her..in a store (Prairie Scrapbooks) in a small town near us in the country. Well i got hooked!!!. I love being able to make my own cards for any occassion. I made 52 xmas cards..all different.
It's so personal. I still can't seem to get into the scrapbook part yet. I know it's like the cards..only bigger..lol. Maybe 1 day. Right now i am a "addicted card stamper"..Loves ya Gail (topaz_n29
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 05:57 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Default what hooked me.........

A friend asked me to a stampin up party in the early 90's so I took another friend with me and were hooked. The gal who had the stampin up party doesn't even stamp anymore. The friend who I took with me has her own internet stamp site. I got into scrapin in 1996 and didn't stamp alot, but the last few years I started again.

Craftmut stuff!!!!
NEW STAMPIN UP DEMO

>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:00 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

I have always been into crafts. When I was younger in elementary I used to make my own stationary and sell it. I would come up with all kinds of crazy techniques....funny that later on I would sell Stampin Up ;) But I got into stamping again when my cousin, who is a demo, introduced me and I was so completely hooked. I love everything they have!!!! So really I've been doing this since I was a little girl, but got re-introduced with new and cooler products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

I got into stamping to "save money".

SNORT! ROFLMBO!

Yeah, seriously, I thought about all the money I could save buying cards. As if.

Natalie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:05 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been kinda crafty but last year we had a stamp day at my church. That was it. I was hooked. Many, many paychecks (husbands not mine) later I am loving it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:13 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

I got into stamping because thats what the little voices in my head told me to do.

Seriously, tho, all my co workers were into it and they would show off their projects around the office, between the "ooooing" and "aaahhhing" I was swept up into the frenzy.

Now the little voices just tell me to buy,buy, buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:18 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!

My sister and my cousin had been in a stamper's 10 for a couple years...and it had always intrigued me. I've never been artsy or crafty so I thought well at least I can stamp;) I joined a stamper's 10 in April...my last class is this month. I don't know that I will do stamper's 10 for another year just cause I don't really "click" with the people in my group....they all seem to know eachother and all they talk about is their kids. I really feel like an outsider even after all these months. I think I can learn just as much if not more from this site and my sister and cousin. I still love to stamp
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by goodlicorice
I got into stamping to "save money".

SNORT! ROFLMBO!

Yeah, seriously, I thought about all the money I could save buying cards. As if.

Natalie
FUNNY!!!!! That was my main reason as well!!!!!!Thousands of dollars later.........................................
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Like many others here, I have always been a somewhat crafty, creative person. I have sewed a LOT and crocheted, needlepointed, designed doll clothes, etc.

But never anything with paper until last January. We had an uncharacteristic ice storm and I was totally housebound. I was flipping channels on the TV and started watching a scrapbooking show on the shopping channel. I stayed on the couch for about 6 hours, totally mesmerized.

I had walked by the papercraft aisles in stores and casually looked at all the cute stuff, but never really gave it much thought.

I ordered a bunch of stuff that day, and went out immediately and bought more as soon as the ice melted. I made a lot of scrapbook pages and enjoyed it.

Several months ago, I started making a few cards and made cyberfriends with a darling gal in northern CA who is a stamping fool. We started emailing each other and sending cards. Her cards were stamped and colored so beautifully. Mine were cute but kind of like a scrapbook page.

I bought a few stamps on sale and some ink pads and fell in headfirst to stamping heaven. I have gotten bunches more stamps and all kinds of inks. I just really love doing this. I haven't touched a scrapbook page in months.:eek:

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #18  
Crimping Master

I went to a neighbors party. I was a scrapbooker, and a gymnastics coach/business owner. I found that the ink was wonderful for stamping on my gymnasts hands. I bought a couple colors to try, and markers for journaling at the first show. I wasn't too into the cards at that point. LOVED the ink so much ... it is the only ink I have found that doesn't bleed on hands. The next party was for scrapbooking folks, and I bought a stamp set or two to use in my scrapbooks. Then I hosted my own party during sell-a-bration, and have been a VERY good customer ever sense. I spend probably 500-700 a year total. I can't fathom buying a card for anyone. This was all about 12 years ago.

Andi
Proud Air Force Wife
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My freshman year in college (back in the late 80s - yikes!) the college bookstore had some very cute teddy bear stamps and inkpads. I bought some and haven't stopped since!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #20  
Matboard Maniac

Wow, these stories are great. A friend tried to get me to stamp a couple of years ago. I looked at the SU catty and was way overwhelmed! I told her I had enough to do with my scrapbooking!
About 2 yrs ago another friend showed me cards after a workshop. I just had to try it and I have been a hopeless addict ever since. I still scrapbook and make jewelry too.
I have withdrawals if I don;t get enough time to spend in my stamp corner!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 06:47 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Very interesting thread, indeed!
My sister worked at a Curves and one of the girls that worked out there was a SU! demo and showed her the book, she decided to have a party, my sis scrapbooked a little and so that was what she was interested in mostly. She asked (demanded) me to come to her party and I said that I would come but it sounds pretty *lame* *not cool*, etc. (I apologize for that rude comment) and I have no little ones that I would want to stamp/scrap about or for but i'd come and she was making some good snacks...spent over $200 that day, my sis signed up to be a demo that day, booked my own workshop that day where I earned like $200 of free stuff (the party was over $1500).

Needless to say I was totally addicted from the very minute I saw the catty and getting all that stuff for free was the best thing since sliced bread and it was SAB time (my one year Stamping Anniversary is next month, yes, I am making myself a card!) and I got all the free sets, anyway, it was love at first sight!

Oh yeah, I thought I would "save" money, too! What was I thinking? I hardly ever even bought cards before!?!

Seriously, though, my whole family says I am *nicer* since I started stamping so it's good for everyone all around!

Me Before SU!:

Me After SU!:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was a nanny in New Jersey back in '92 and came across an Inkadinkadoo kiosk at the mall. (I can't remember the name of the mall, but at least I remember the stamp company!) I would buy a stamp or two every weekend.

Kimberly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #23  
Speedy the Cat did WHAT?

I was a quilter/pattern designer. I ended up wheelchair bound and was bored to tears! I watched tv 20 hours a day, and DH got me a dish, when I mentioned there wasn't much to watch. That's when I "met" Sandi Genoviese on "Scrapbooking." I really LOVED this hobby, and started taping the show. About once a month, Shelli would be on the show demoing the stamps. I started using the stamps on my pages! I had been stamping for 15 years up to that point, so it really came easy. I was published, a lot, and ended up as an SU! demo 6 years later!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:15 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I can't remember what came first the CTMH party or the yard sale. My friend/co-worker invited me to a party where the demo was new and this was her first party. Its the friend of a friend thing. I don't even think I ordered anything from that party but liked the craft. I've tried many craft with little luck. I at some point (i believe later) I went to a yard sale and bought a box of goodies for $30.00. There was at least 1 SU stamp set, paper, paper cutter, glue sticks, deco scissors ect.... I must have had a clue as to how much things cost because I got home and figured there was over 100.00 worth of goods in the box!! I have been hooked ever since. I think that was over 4 yrs ago. I was in a card club with the CTMH demo for 2 years and then she failed to inspire so we (me and 2 co-worker) found someone new with SU. We were with her for 2 yrs. and she had some life changes and she was unable to financially show us much new product ect.. We haven't found anyone new but still have ties to her. We are planning a get together with her, for SAB. I had planned to become a demo in Jan but I don't think its going to happed quite yet. Its fun to read everybodys story.

Happy Stampin'

Tina
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:20 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

My story sounds all too familar after reading most of the posts. I had been scrapbooking monthly with the same group of women for many years. One of them suggested we have a SU demo come to one of our crops to show us how to incorporate stamping into our scrapbooking. Well, I said I would **never** get into this stamping thing, etc. The demo showed us ways to use the smiley face stamp set (can't remember the name now) and I was hooked immediately! I remember coming home and telling my husband about all the money I was going to save stamping my own cards! Needless to say, probably 5 years and $15,000 later (and that is probably not far from the truth LOL!!!), I have yet to incorporate stamping into my scrapbooking! I have to say that Splitcoaststampers is SU's best form of advertisement - I have bought more stamp sets, stuff based off what I have seen here. I hope the SU Organization thanks Daven and Tracy everyday for all they do!
SCS Member #772
My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #26  
Crimping Master

A friend invited to me to a workshop at her sister's , I bought some stuff, went to another and bought more stuff....the friend and I shared a party, we got free stuff. I was hooked. Love the craft. Turned on to scrapping too. Became hobby demo. Having fun sharing discount with another friend , we couldn't decide who would be the demo. I finally did it. We may do it another year . Then see what happens.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 08:58 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

I started scrapbooking with Creative Memories and soon realized that I enjoyed decorating my pages much more than I enjoyed journaling them, and I certainly wasn't interested in putting them together quickly. I started gravitating toward handmade albums and cards, and last Christmas I bought myself a couple of rubber stamps and made my Christmas cards. I haven't really worked on my scrapbook since. But, man, have I been having fun buying stamps and art supplies, trying new techniques, and hanging out on SCS!
I design for Starving Artistamps | Technique Junkies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 09:58 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I had been to a show or 2 but I think its all about a great Demo! the shows I had been to weren't that great the cards were ok but nothing amazing... Then my BF became a demo and she showed me a few cards she had made! so I booked a party to help sapport her LOL now I'm like her biggest customer! I love making cards as it relaxes me. after a day with the kids its nice to sit down and do something for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 10:44 PM   #29  
Creative Director - My Favorite Things
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I was a Pampered Ched consultant and a friend of mine told me she would host a PC party for me if I would do the same. I didn't even know what in the world stamping was. I purchased LOTS of stuff and signed up a month later. It's too funny how fast I was hooked. ;) :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm a decorative painter - what they use to call tole painter - and I bought a few small stamps to use in my paintings like small stars and hearts. Then last year a friend's daughter-in-law who is a SU demonstrator asked me to come to a stamp camp. I couldn't belive all the things that can be done with stamps. So now I go to every stamping class I can. For instance I was at one last night and will be going to another one in the morning. I do still paint and teach painting but spend just as much time making cards now - and even more time here on this site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:10 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I have been crafting since I had kids, when they were getting older I would make learning games for them and such, I had some stamps that I would use for the stuff I would make for them. My mom got into doing scrapbooks but I never got into that, then she became a SU demonstrator, I swore I wouldn't get into the stamping thing, but one day while at her house I commented that she needed a train set since I was working on the steam trains at the Magic Kingdom at that time. Well, she told me that they did have a set (All Aboard). I talked my husband at the time into letting me get it since it was only $20. I got the set and had no idea what to do with it..lol, so asked her to show me one day what to do, we made like 4 cards that day..and the rest is history. I would purchase one or two things from her on and off over the next year. One of her friends gave me all kinds of SU paper scraps she had (most were 1/2 sheet or more!) and that got me hooked on the paper. For Christmas she started buying me a set of the classic stamp pads. Now I have all the stamp pads, all the paper colors and just got the markers..so much for NEVER getting into stamping..lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:50 AM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

In October of 1999 I was invited to a SU party at my friend's daughter-in-law's. I had no idea what stamping was all about. We made a cute card and I was hooked. The demo had a special going that if you bought all the stuff to make Christmas cards, (paper, stamp set, ink pad, etc.,) there was a special deal. (Forgot now what is was.) The demo had a lot of Christmas card samples and I picked one and modified it a little to make it easier. And the rest is history. I have never bought a card since. I also tend to send out a lot more cards than I ever did before for all holidays, major and minor. Out of all the crafts that I have ever done, I love stamping the most!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:59 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I always did crafts - cross stitch was my favorite thing to do - I've designed lots of x-stitch patterns myself and made my own household decorations etc.

A few years ago (3), I got a "mystery infection" in my left hand (I'm left-handed) and had to have several operations. I lost the use of that hand for anything that took precision for over a year - I couldn't even hold a pen or write properly. To this day, my hand doesn't work well for anything like holding a needle and I can only hold a pen for a few minutes at a time. I missed being creative so I started making cards. My original cards didn't have anything "fiddly" in them due to the lack of use of my hand. I still can't cross stitch but I've gained back most of the use of my left hand. (my middle finger doesn't bend properly...my hand made a rude gesture for over a year!)

SCS is actually the reason I started buying stamps. Before that I didn't use stamps on my cards at all. I still make lots of cards that don't require stamping and consider myself more of a card-maker than a stamper but as time goes by I use stamps more often. I even got some OMS and Prismacolor pencils for Christmas so I can start colouring images.

Great thread, btw!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 07:21 AM   #34  
Forum Fanatic

I started scrapbooking because I wanted to make my best friend a special gift for her wedding. Her's turned out so nice I decided to do mine. I wasn't stamping though, I was spending soooooo much money on just scrapbooking I didn't want to spend more on stamps. My mom has been into stamping for years so she brought all her stuff to my house one day so we could craft together. She eneded up leaving it there and we stamped/scraped a few more weeks. When I moved across the country she decided she didn't want all her stuff back so I was left with a ton of Stampin Up stuff- Like 50 sets, a ton of cardstock, all the inks (except RR, my fav) and a bunch of other supplies. So I started playing around and I was hooked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 08:20 AM   #35  
Mad Swapper

I've always done crafty stuff, but mostly on the computer. As time went by, I discovered that I needed the tactile aspect of it. Just holding a mouse in my hand all day just wasn't enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 08:55 AM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I was in AC Moore or Michaels, looking for something that would fit in a shoebox to take with when we went camping. I bought a couple stamps and an inkpad. Then I took a class, then.......here I am with so much stuff that we added a sunroom, I've spent a fortune, and still having fun. My hobby grew, and I learned plenty after finding SU. This site has taught me so much, and cost me so much $$$ with all the enablers. Eileen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 AM   #37  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My cousin Janice! She ROCKS! :grin:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:19 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was introduced to stamping by a CM consultant. She knew I was "kind of" interested in scrapping but not really, but I admired her albums all the time (they are really works of art- Creating Keepsakes type pages).

So anyway, a scrapping friend & cust of hers signed on with SU & the CM person booked a party & invited me. I was hooked at first sight & the SU demo became my upline & close friend. The funny part is, I used to live about 3 houses away from her & we never knew each other then!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:24 AM   #39  
Hardware Hotshot

What a great thread..

I got into it because it was something and quality time that I could spend with DD. Seemed like whenever I had her alone, she would spill her guts to me and tell me everthing that would go on in her day, if she had a good or bad day. It was a way for me to keep tabs on her as she's getting older and into the teenage years.

Then what happens..love it and seems to always have an excuse to buy more stamp sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

I was invited to my first SU workshop at a friends house a little over 2 years ago andjust was amazed at what you could do with stamping... within a month I became a demo and have been hooked on this hobby ever since.
Reply With Quote Likes