Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #41  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Please don't feed the troll.
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL!!! Thanks for the reminder!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
How funny...I have had those same thoughts. I really am not enjoying the stamp camps once a month like I use to. It seems like, no... it is like we cannot even mention another product or my demo gets a little quiet and doesn't join in the conversation...then the talk is 'directed' (for lack of any other nice term) back to what we are going to buy. Whatever you mention buying then the demo has another suggestion for you to buy more. I feel very pressured lately.

It is just has lost the fun factor.
Hi
I guess I was lucky with my demo- she ENCOURAGED use of other products also- which made it fun. She did not in any way cut into her profits- just introduced things that SU didn't sell. Also I was anxious to go to her classes every two weeks to learn not only the products, but to learn other products too. Ultimately, I ended up buying more SU products just because she used them creatively. Also- at her classes we all traded ideas and new things and techniques. This is a great sales tactic- even sizzix and other companies use it. My concerns with SU- is the company- not the demo. When I had concerns or problems, I write or email. Each time I got a generic reply- so finally I wrote directly to Shelli. Guess what! SIX months later I got phone call from a rep giving me the same generic reply along with an apology for losing my letter. The reply is always the same: Thank you for your question (or concern). We will direct your inquiry to the proper department. That's it- that's their customer service. End of answers. Well, I like their paper- always will- I have enjoyed my demo and new friends. Without SU many of us would not have started. Thanks for listening.
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stiz2003View Post
Hi
I guess I was lucky with my demo- she ENCOURAGED use of other products also- which made it fun. She did not in any way cut into her profits- just introduced things that SU didn't sell. Also I was anxious to go to her classes every two weeks to learn not only the products, but to learn other products too. Ultimately, I ended up buying more SU products just because she used them creatively. Also- at her classes we all traded ideas and new things and techniques. This is a great sales tactic- even sizzix and other companies use it. My concerns with SU- is the company- not the demo. When I had concerns or problems, I write or email. Each time I got a generic reply- so finally I wrote directly to Shelli. Guess what! SIX months later I got phone call from a rep giving me the same generic reply along with an apology for losing my letter. The reply is always the same: Thank you for your question (or concern). We will direct your inquiry to the proper department. That's it- that's their customer service. End of answers. Well, I like their paper- always will- I have enjoyed my demo and new friends. Without SU many of us would not have started. Thanks for listening.
We might be thinking of different things for customer service.

Customer service, when I deal with a company, means I get what I ordered, they take care of any problems with the order. (And I've had companies that do not do this.)

Writing letters to SU! with "concerns" might be a whole other matter. I'm curious what you wrote about.

Most large companies don't have the workers making the big decisions. They don't address every comment personally. SU! actually has a first line of contact, which is more than I can say about lots of places.

Saying "thank you for your input" is VERY standard in ALL of industry. I get it from other companies, and I get it from politicians. (LOL) I wrote to a bottled water company about how hard it was to open and got the generic "thank you for your input" and "we value your input" etc.

That's normal.

They get tons of input and I'm sure committees sit around and decide what's working, what's not, what's cost effective, what they can change. SU does painstaking product research before they make big changes. Sometimes it seems slow to us, but they TRY to get it right. (Yeah sometimes they fail. So did New Coke.)

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for the input. I do know what you mean- I personally had to do customer service for years (laughing) I wrote on about 6 occasions. Sometimes it was general questions, sometimes a concern and once for a defect in my order (a block was broken). I ended up using the broken block for lack of response. It just wasn't worth the bother and I did not want to trouble the demo who went out of her way for me.
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sewsplendidstamperView Post
Just in the last mini and upcoming in this one that's starting Jan 5. It's necklaces and charms that you can alter. But they never met quality standards and are not sellable. :-(
FYI - the Simply Adorned product line will be available starting January 5th - it was a current update on December 2nd on the demo website of SU!
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the input. I do know what you mean- I personally had to do customer service for years (laughing) I wrote on about 6 occasions. Sometimes it was general questions, sometimes a concern and once for a defect in my order (a block was broken). I ended up using the broken block for lack of response. It just wasn't worth the bother and I did not want to trouble the demo who went out of her way for me.
The broken block is a legitimate concern but SU! wants the demos to handle that stuff. But I know what you mean, when I was a customer, I was shy about saying anything unless it was a big deal. I got a bent plastic box once and never said anything - but I would today. Well, I guess I should say I'd call myself. LOL I'm a demo but just for myself, for the discount. Glad you had a good demo!!!

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Polyshrink Goddess

One of my customers bought the gold and the silver cord from last year's SU holiday mini. She just now got both out and noticed that the gold was all yucky. She brought it to show me, not thinking that anything could be done after a year. I told her that too. Just too long from purchase. I did call Demo Service and explained how strange it was for one cord to be weird and the other perfectly fine. The lady said she thought it was a strange too and sent me out a new package.

I ask that my customers tell me if something is wrong, so it can be fixed if possible. I know I'd like to know if something is broken or defective. I've had very good response from SU.

Good luck with further contacts; hope they are better. Let your demo know what's wrong and what's right, so she/he can deal with what's happening.

Stasia
Insane Embellisher

to the OP, sorry you feel this way, I feel that SU! has been meeting and exceeding customer expectations. A business needs to listen to customers to stay in business successfully kwim? If a product is not to your liking, don't buy it. but don't slam the company or its founder, at least thats how it came off. Another thing, every company/ family has dirty laundry. Who said it was your job to air it? not everyone wants to hear the negative.
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTellsAllView Post
Sorry to come off bad but I just wanted to see if everyone else is getting the same feeling from them as me.... I think shelli is a great business lady and a wonderful person, im just worried that the company is moving in the wrong direction...and I know of alot of things that have happened behind closed doors that make me feel this way even more.

P.S. I am not nor have I ever been a employee of Stampin'up I just know people who deal with them directly..... ALOT
Most know that I am an employee as well as a demonstrator. I can speak loud and clear as both and assure everyone that the company is not moving in the wrong direction. If it were, I would be neither an employee nor a demonstrator.

Last edited by avonlea; 12-23-2009 at 06:20 AM..
Embossing Fanatic

i just became hobby demo in march and can't think of enough nice things to say.....i was even blessed to get to attend the seattle conference! everyone has went way out
of their way to make my demo experience nothing but POSITIVE ! STAMP IN UP saved me from a very sad, depressed existence !
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Hi
The reply is always the same: Thank you for your question (or concern). We will direct your inquiry to the proper department. That's it- that's their customer service. End of answers. Well, I like their paper- always will- I have enjoyed my demo and new friends. Without SU many of us would not have started. Thanks for listening.
Frankly, most of these companies are like that. You can't email or mail them. You will always get a generic answer.
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

It's not about one stop shopping it's about demos not talking up products that SU also carries in same or variation. I wouldn't talk up my LSS that carries a Fiskars cutter that my customers can buy using a 50% off coupon, they know that. What I will chat up is the fact that when they buy it from me they can always come to me for advice, ideas, and help.

I've had customers bring items to events and I simply ask that they not use it while I'm doing my spiel. Yep I say that. They are at my business function. "I know EK success has some cool punches out there that SU doesn't carry. But I'd appreciate it if right now we can focus on what SU has to offer. That's why you all came today right?"
I can understand you not wanting your customers to use another companies product while you are doing you spiel, but its a different story once the clas starts. At most of the stamp camps/classes/etc that I have attended we've been asked to bring some basic tools - bone folder, paper cutter, scissors, and even punches. None of these products I own are SU and I have absolutely no qualms about bringing them to class. Now, I don't go and broadcast that product x is cheaper at M's instead of SU - most people know that already. If I had to bring only SU tools to class I would never be able to attend. In fact, I can't remember one craft event that I have attended where absolutely everything was provided.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Stampin' Fool

I read the whole thread, and I have not heard any "insider secrets". Sigh.
I thought someone was telling all???

hehehehe,
Anne
Polyshrink Goddess

Talking

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinorahView Post
STAMP IN UP saved me from a very sad, depressed existence !

I totally agree. 95% of my friends, I've met because I attended a workshop that started me in my card making hobby. I would be lost without them. I look forward to getting together every month; more, when the opportunity presents itself. When I'm not stamping, I'm laying on the couch watching TV.
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
I can understand you not wanting your customers to use another companies product while you are doing you spiel, but its a different story once the clas starts. At most of the stamp camps/classes/etc that I have attended we've been asked to bring some basic tools - bone folder, paper cutter, scissors, and even punches. None of these products I own are SU and I have absolutely no qualms about bringing them to class. Now, I don't go and broadcast that product x is cheaper at M's instead of SU - most people know that already. If I had to bring only SU tools to class I would never be able to attend. In fact, I can't remember one craft event that I have attended where absolutely everything was provided.
I would describe a class entirely differently than you have experienced. There are only two things I ask any person to bring to a class or stamp camp and that's scissors and adhesive. I also have an option on the registration form for them to order these items so I can have them ready at class if they prefer. I'm frankly shocked that you would be asked to bring anything else to an SU event.

A class is an event to teach new techniques or projects etc and as a demo my job is to have everything prepared and organized for the "students" Cardstock but, directions printed out, samples made. If a project required a circle punch it's my job to have it available to use.

A stamp camp is a more involved class IMO. Again I would have everything at the ready. If it were such a large even that it would be time prohibitive to only have one heat tool available I'd have to get a second one for people to use.

I have had classes that require bone folders and in the fee I have included the cost of the folder and had it ready at everyone's spot when they arrived. Frankly it boosts sales for me and then I'm working with a product that I'm familiar with and can stand behind.

I'm honestly kind of shocked to hear the different accounts of customers going to events and being asked to bring things to use. To me that's more like inviting friends over to stamp and then when they are their and captive ;-) I start talking up Stampin' Up!. Just not my style I guess.

Quote:

I would describe a class entirely differently than you have experienced. There are only two things I ask any person to bring to a class or stamp camp and that's scissors and adhesive. I also have an option on the registration form for them to order these items so I can have them ready at class if they prefer. I'm frankly shocked that you would be asked to bring anything else to an SU event.

A class is an event to teach new techniques or projects etc and as a demo my job is to have everything prepared and organized for the "students" Cardstock but, directions printed out, samples made. If a project required a circle punch it's my job to have it available to use.

A stamp camp is a more involved class IMO. Again I would have everything at the ready. If it were such a large even that it would be time prohibitive to only have one heat tool available I'd have to get a second one for people to use.

I have had classes that require bone folders and in the fee I have included the cost of the folder and had it ready at everyone's spot when they arrived. Frankly it boosts sales for me and then I'm working with a product that I'm familiar with and can stand behind.

I'm honestly kind of shocked to hear the different accounts of customers going to events and being asked to bring things to use. To me that's more like inviting friends over to stamp and then when they are their and captive ;-) I start talking up Stampin' Up!. Just not my style I guess.
Everyone runs their classes differently, so you shouldn't be "shocked" at all. Typically, I do my classes similar to yours but when there are more involved projects, I do ask my class attendees to bring along certain items to help speed the processes up also, different projects require different tools, sometimes, too.
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53queenbeeView Post
How funny...I have had those same thoughts. I really am not enjoying the stamp camps once a month like I use to. It seems like, no... it is like we cannot even mention another product or my demo gets a little quiet and doesn't join in the conversation...then the talk is 'directed' (for lack of any other nice term) back to what we are going to buy. Whatever you mention buying then the demo has another suggestion for you to buy more. I feel very pressured lately.

It is just has lost the fun factor.
I've been at other "home parties", a cosmetic company in particular and got really nailed by talking about some other product. I haven't had this happen with my SU stamping workshops, but I know it was very uncomfortable when it happened to me with the other home party I was at. I thought "Oh, chill out! We are just having fun and also buying your darn product!" I'm glad my demo is easy going and fun. I feel your pain!!!!!
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTellsAllView Post
I really think shelli is tuning it up to get ready to SELL SELL SELL!!!! what do you guys think?
You are really right!! I am glad that someone is seeing the efforts SU! is making. She is truning it up ... Sale a bration is different this year with tons of stuff that we can pick from the catalog as well as the IBC, awseome in-color markers, new style punches, and cling rubber stamps. Who would not be ready to SELL SELL SELL (as you put it). I know that I am excited! I think that you will see how much we sell with the new mini catalog as well. What company does not want to SELL? ... product

~Kera
Stazon Splitcoast

I personally love SU. I am not a demo or affiliated with them in anyway except being a customer. I have yet to know of any company that does not want to sell and grow their business. One thing about SU the stamps, inks and papers are their meat and potatoes. Everything else is fluff. I am glad they are trying different things, I know I can trust their quality and if I don't like something I can get my money back. I can't wait to see the Sale a bration catty. So three cheers for SU!!
Polyshrink Goddess

I am trying to understand the new rules that Demo's and participants of classes are not allowed to discuss or use products that other companies sell-that SU does not offer, or have something similar. I know I have givin alot of thought to becoming a Demo, and I don't think I could honor these new rules. I also know that luckily I live in Small-Town USA, so I can run classes as I see fit and there is no one to tell on me. There is No Demo within 60ish miles of me. I realize that this MB was started by a SU Demo but it is no longer a SU board and it irritates me that some people talk like this should be a SU only board and that their products are superior quality to all other companies. I do feel that SU is one of the top quality papercrafting companies, but almost all of their products are made from companies that can be purchased at regular crafting stores under the real company name that makes the item.
I do think the first person that started this post was upset with SU and recent changes in the company, and should not have started this tread then ran away with his tail tucked between his legs.
If I decide to become a Demo it will be for Hobby and running workshops/classes for people in my small area that has really already asked for this. I will never ban other company products unless SU sells the same or similar product, ex:Scor-Pal, I can not imagine why Demo's now have a problem with Scor-Pals being used during classes- I could understand with SU sold this or something Similar but they don't and this product/or something similar is used by most cardmakers.
Like someone else stated that their Demo asks them to bring basic items like bone folders and papercutters along with tape and scissors. I feel like it should be common sense to allow people to bring basic supplies that they are comfortable using. SU offers 1 papercutter (if I remember correctly) and it fiskars- well alot of people hate fiskars's and I know SU's version is the same thing.
I don't see why this would ever impede on a sale.. Unless you are completely new to papercrafts you are not looking for basic necessities, you are there to buy things like stamps, paper, ribbon, inks, punches,ect.. and if you are new to papercrafting you can use the Demo's items and then she/he can help you purchase the items from SU that are necessities to this hobby.
I don't like high-pressure sellers, they turn me off from the on-start. I purposely don't buy from them and find someone else to buy from. I wish others would also do the same, it would change sellers attitude and make classes more enjoyable. I found nothing enjoyable when a seller doesn't allow conversations about items, when SU doesn't even carry an equivalent item. Then the Demo immediately starts pushing products that the peeps where not even talking about, in order to change the conversation. This typical doesn't increase your sales that day, it hurts them.

JMO
Sheena
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Wow - I would have loved to take a class from you!!! At every event I've been to I've been told to bring the "basic tool kit" - which is scissors, bone, paper cutter and adhesive. None of the demos or other instructors (for non su classes) have ever had enough basic tools to go around. I've been stamping for over 12 years and have taken more classes than I can count and at every one of them if you did not have your own tools you ended up waiting to use the instructors or you had to borrow from the person next to you. I think every su demo is a little different, but I've taken classes from 6 different demos on opposite ends of ther country and this is my experience.
Just to let you know - I have no problem bringing my own basic tools - in fact I kind of prefer it so that I don't have to wait around for the tools to get passed around.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sheena74View Post
I am trying to understand the new rules that Demo's and participants of classes are not allowed to discuss or use products that other companies sell-that SU does not offer, or have something similar.
Some of the BEST projects I have ever made at a SU party were ones that incorporated things you buy at the dollar store! I think it is completely absturd that demos cannot talk about *anything* that is not SU. In my case, at the dollar store one month they had these large 6 in tall x 2 in wide wooden clothes pins... add a little SU designer paper, SU glitter, SU tag punch Large, SU tag punch Small and a Letter from the alphabet stamp set and some ribbon... you have one absolutely kick-*** photo holder or table place card.

Why is it wrong to mention non-SU products when selling SU? Isn't the point of selling SU to sell as much of it as possible?

Quote:

I am trying to understand the new rules that Demo's and participants of classes are not allowed to discuss or use products that other companies sell-that SU does not offer, or have something similar. I know I have givin alot of thought to becoming a Demo, and I don't think I could honor these new rules. I also know that luckily I live in Small-Town USA, so I can run classes as I see fit and there is no one to tell on me. There is No Demo within 60ish miles of me. I realize that this MB was started by a SU Demo but it is no longer a SU board and it irritates me that some people talk like this should be a SU only board and that their products are superior quality to all other companies. I do feel that SU is one of the top quality papercrafting companies, but almost all of their products are made from companies that can be purchased at regular crafting stores under the real company name that makes the item.
I do think the first person that started this post was upset with SU and recent changes in the company, and should not have started this tread then ran away with his tail tucked between his legs.
If I decide to become a Demo it will be for Hobby and running workshops/classes for people in my small area that has really already asked for this. I will never ban other company products unless SU sells the same or similar product, ex:Scor-Pal, I can not imagine why Demo's now have a problem with Scor-Pals being used during classes- I could understand with SU sold this or something Similar but they don't and this product/or something similar is used by most cardmakers.
Like someone else stated that their Demo asks them to bring basic items like bone folders and papercutters along with tape and scissors. I feel like it should be common sense to allow people to bring basic supplies that they are comfortable using. SU offers 1 papercutter (if I remember correctly) and it fiskars- well alot of people hate fiskars's and I know SU's version is the same thing.
I don't see why this would ever impede on a sale.. Unless you are completely new to papercrafts you are not looking for basic necessities, you are there to buy things like stamps, paper, ribbon, inks, punches,ect.. and if you are new to papercrafting you can use the Demo's items and then she/he can help you purchase the items from SU that are necessities to this hobby.
I don't like high-pressure sellers, they turn me off from the on-start. I purposely don't buy from them and find someone else to buy from. I wish others would also do the same, it would change sellers attitude and make classes more enjoyable. I found nothing enjoyable when a seller doesn't allow conversations about items, when SU doesn't even carry an equivalent item. Then the Demo immediately starts pushing products that the peeps where not even talking about, in order to change the conversation. This typical doesn't increase your sales that day, it hurts them.

JMO
Sheena
interesting POV ... if you're already thinking and planning on ignoring several parts of the demonstrator agreement that you would sign with SU, I'd recommend not becoming a demonstrator. As demonstrators, we are not permitted to use products like the Scor-Pal™ as SU sells an item similar - a bone folder. Yes, it's not quite the same nor as easy, but the point is that SU sells a bone folder and not the Scor-Pal. Same goes for any other similar product. So, no, you cannot run classes as you see fit because you would be representing Stampin' Up!, not yourself. That's what the IDA is about

We can talk about other non-competitive products, btw. For example, if you want to talk about tins, boxes, clothespins, go ahead.
Polyshrink Goddess

I am sorry the bone folder and the scor-pal are not similar products by any means. Now if they sold the Crafters Companion or the Scor-It or something like that, then we would be talking about similar products. I tend to disagree with you there.

Does it say in your ADA, that the bone-folder and scoring boards are similar products? Is this an example that the company gives? I am asking since you say that, you can talk about products that SU doesn't sells.

If I decide to become a Demo, this will be a personally decision I make. I will read the ADA and then decide within my moral code if this is OK or not. I live by my Moral Code not anyone else's. If I read clear instructions that a scoring board and a bone folder are considered the same comparative product by the company, then I will continue to run classes locally and not actually use SU products and just be a "Hobby Demo". I consider similar products to be as stated above or things like Copics and the standard markers SU sells, or the BS and the CB. I also think morally- if you believe in the product you are using and selling, you don't have to be pushy toward customers.

Sheena
Insane Embellisher

I'm sorry but a "bone folder" is a far cry from a Score-Pal! I certainly do NOT want to stir things up here and bash SU, but their IDA is just way too restrictive, in my opinion. Do you know my (former) demo would not even tell me about SCS? Yet, later in a conversation with her she admitted that she sought out SCS for inspiration! Yet, I had to discover SCS from a considerate LSS employee. I'm afraid that this type of mentality has me looking for other sources of stamping supplies.

Quote:

I am sorry the bone folder and the scor-pal are not similar products by any means. Now if they sold the Crafters Companion or the Scor-It or something like that, then we would be talking about similar products. I tend to disagree with you there.

Does it say in your ADA, that the bone-folder and scoring boards are similar products? Is this an example that the company gives? I am asking since you say that, you can talk about products that SU doesn't sells.

If I decide to become a Demo, this will be a personally decision I make. I will read the ADA and then decide within my moral code if this is OK or not. I live by my Moral Code not anyone else's. If I read clear instructions that a scoring board and a bone folder are considered the same comparative product by the company, then I will continue to run classes locally and not actually use SU products and just be a "Hobby Demo". I consider similar products to be as stated above or things like Copics and the standard markers SU sells, or the BS and the CB. I also think morally- if you believe in the product you are using and selling, you don't have to be pushy toward customers.

Sheena
They are similar in that they both score paper. That's enough similarity for SU anyway. Whether I agree or disagree with SU wasn't what I was saying.

It's an IDA, not an ADA.

A demo may speak of competitive products. A demo may not use them during a class though. A customer can do either -- they are not held by the IDA. I cannot provide links and am discouraged from saying the store name. I am discouraged from mentioning non-SU products in a workshop/class/blog/forum setting. This doesn't mean that I cannot "talk", however. Each demo has to figure out that guideline for themselves. SU has not clearly defined that portion of the agreement and has left it up to the individual to interpret the "spirit" of the agreement. To some, that's the letter of the law and for others it's not.

To talk about morality ... interesting yet again. My moral code states that I cannot lie or willingly break agreements that I sign. Should your moral code be similar, I don't understand the conflict?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
I'm sorry but a "bone folder" is a far cry from a Score-Pal! I certainly do NOT want to stir things up here and bash SU, but their IDA is just way too restrictive, in my opinion. Do you know my (former) demo would not even tell me about SCS? Yet, later in a conversation with her she admitted that she sought out SCS for inspiration! Yet, I had to discover SCS from a considerate LSS employee. I'm afraid that this type of mentality has me looking for other sources of stamping supplies.
that's not SU's fault. that's your demo's personal thing ... we can speak about SCS. Some demo's don't like to for reason they deem appropriate. Personally, I tell everyone about SCS because it's a fabulous site filled with inspiration and much more
Insane Embellisher

That may very well be, but SU encourages this "exclusive" mentality, in my opinion, with their IDA. Even so, I've no desire to argue with you about it. I do like some of their products, but I could never limit myself to just SU. There are just too many other fabulous stamping companies / goodies out there!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BellegirlView Post
That may very well be, but SU encourages this "exclusive" mentality, in my opinion, with their IDA. Even so, I've no desire to argue with you about it. I do like some of their products, but I could never limit myself to just SU. There are just too many other fabulous stamping companies / goodies out there!
true and so do many other companies and don't tell, but I don't limit myself solely to SU either
Insane Embellisher

Nope, I won't tell!
Matboard Maniac

Default Not going to BUY, BUY, BUY

Quote:

Originally Posted by KalonismommyView Post
You are really right!! I am glad that someone is seeing the efforts SU! is making. She is truning it up ... Sale a bration is different this year with tons of stuff that we can pick from the catalog as well as the IBC, awseome in-color markers, new style punches, and cling rubber stamps. Who would not be ready to SELL SELL SELL (as you put it). I know that I am excited! I think that you will see how much we sell with the new mini catalog as well. What company does not want to SELL? ... product

~Kera
This has been an interesting thread bringing out a lot of emotion. However, as strictly a customer of SU products, this year has not been a good one for me and it turns out I'm not alone. I felt bad at our last SU monthly stampin' get-together at our demo's house because one of the other ladies in our group just came out and said how ugly she thought this year's DP was and I felt the same way I just hadn't said it!

Every year I look forward to the new DP and In-Colors and this year it is just not happening. There isn't a single stamp, DP, Kit or anything else I like and that jewelry stuff -- no way! However, I understand that a company, from year to year, will have new designers with different inspiration, so maybe next year's product will suit my tastes better.

The good news is there are other suppliers out there and I have purchased some of their products recently but not every year is going to be a banner year for a company. There's another thread on here about PTI and how the posting individual didn't like this past month's release. It's been several months since I liked any of PTI's releases, but soon I'm sure they, like SU, will come up with something that suits my taste and then I will BUY, BUY, BUY.

The test of a good company is whether, over time, they continually delight their customers and not all customers will like all the products every year -- no doubt there are some people who love this year's SU DP and other products but may not like next year's. I'm just glad all these companies are out there to buy from and are persevering through the economy!
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
Wow - I would have loved to take a class from you!!! At every event I've been to I've been told to bring the "basic tool kit" - which is scissors, bone, paper cutter and adhesive. None of the demos or other instructors (for non su classes) have ever had enough basic tools to go around. I've been stamping for over 12 years and have taken more classes than I can count and at every one of them if you did not have your own tools you ended up waiting to use the instructors or you had to borrow from the person next to you. I think every su demo is a little different, but I've taken classes from 6 different demos on opposite ends of ther country and this is my experience.
Just to let you know - I have no problem bringing my own basic tools - in fact I kind of prefer it so that I don't have to wait around for the tools to get passed around.
Oh, I attend three different demo's workshops and they provide everything including food. We do bring our own adhesive. Everything is cut, so we don't need a paper cutter. They all set up "stations". We rotate from table to table. Some have two cards per table, some one card per table. One demo likes to do 12 cards, one does six cards, one does four cards. All set up in stations. We do have to wait for tools but it isn't a big deal as we love to visit and bond with our stampin sistah's. All we've ever known is sharing, so it works okay.
Crimping Master

Trying to compare a bone folder to a Scor-Pal is ridiculous. When I attend a stamp camp I pay good money to make cards and I expect them to look nice... and scoring with a bone folder just doesn't do that. If I were told by a Demo I could not use it I would politely ask for a refund and leave.

I used to be a SUO customer... SU is how I got started stamping but lately the artwork seems tired (there was nothing in the soon to be released mini and sale-a-bration that I liked) and I am not interested in wall decor or jewelry. I think I have probably spent about $75 from the current catty and that was on punches, paper, and a few small stamps sold individually. On the other hand I just spent $250+ for HA products, $150+ at Flourishes, and $150+ at PTI. SU just does not impress me anymore. :(

I also have to say that the Demos (AKA "the Cheerleaders) here and a few in my area are the reason I have stopped buying. Just tired of the Demos shoving their products down my throat all the time and seeing them talk new stampers into buying SU products that can be purchased cheaper at Michael's or JoAnn's with a coupon. Where are the morals on that kind of selling?
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Trying to compare a bone folder to a Scor-Pal is ridiculous. When I attend a stamp camp I pay good money to make cards and I expect them to look nice... and scoring with a bone folder just doesn't do that. If I were told by a Demo I could not use it I would politely ask for a refund and leave.

I used to be a SUO customer... SU is how I got started stamping but lately the artwork seems tired (there was nothing in the soon to be released mini and sale-a-bration that I liked) and I am not interested in wall decor or jewelry. I think I have probably spent about $75 from the current catty and that was on punches, paper, and a few small stamps sold individually. On the other hand I just spent $250+ for HA products, $150+ at Flourishes, and $150+ at PTI. SU just does not impress me anymore. :(

I also have to say that the Demos (AKA "the Cheerleaders) here and a few in my area are the reason I have stopped buying. Just tired of the Demos shoving their products down my throat all the time and seeing them talk new stampers into buying SU products that can be purchased cheaper at Michael's or JoAnn's with a coupon. Where are the morals on that kind of selling?
You realize that's our job right? And if you are at a SU event and ticked at hearing about SU product and trying to be sold SU product why do you go? It's not like any of us demos knock on your door or bother you at the grocery store to make you buy SU stuff.

As for the scorpal I don't have it don't really know what it is. I use the SU paper cutter with the scoring blade and have for a long time.

And I still honestly do not understand why if you all are going to SU (or any other company) stamp camp or class why you would be bringing any supplies. Isn't that what your demo is charging you for? To use her supplies and teach you the projects?
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

The first stampin up party I was invited to the hostess/demo lived next door to me and she was having a party in her home to promote her business and she said I need to bring $5.00, sissors and tape. I never did go to that party because I couldn't see paying to attend a party. Then a few years later I met my wonderful demo and have been great friends since.

Marcie
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

Yeah, I am one of those "Cheerleaders", I am not a demo yet, but love Stampin up!
Crimping Master

Quote:

You realize that's our job right? And if you are at a SU event and ticked at hearing about SU product and trying to be sold SU product why do you go? It's not like any of us demos knock on your door or bother you at the grocery store to make you buy SU stuff.

As for the scorpal I don't have it don't really know what it is. I use the SU paper cutter with the scoring blade and have for a long time.

And I still honestly do not understand why if you all are going to SU (or any other company) stamp camp or class why you would be bringing any supplies. Isn't that what your demo is charging you for? To use her supplies and teach you the projects?
I was just stating my opinion.. no need to get defensive. :confused:

The event I am talking about is monthly stamp club that is non-SU... it is just about stamping for fun and sharing ideas. The problem is that one of the Demos brings all her SU stuff and keeps trying to demo it. Most of the members have attended her stamp camps at one time or another so why the need to try and sell it again at stamp club? No one else does this.

As for the Scor-Pal... you really should check one out. It is a fantastic tool and SO much easier than using the old scoring blade in the trimmer.

My Demo's (there are two that work together) say to bring scissors, adhesive, and "anything you would normally use when you stamp". They used to supply everything but that was a -long- time ago. With the new SU policy I won't be attending any more stamp camps if I can only use SU adhesives, etc. Besides, I am not learning anything new (or that I can't find a tutorial for on the internet) and there are no stamps I really like/need so why waste the money?
Mad Swapper

Quote:

when I worked at Starbucks, we used to say "would you like a muffin with your latte?'.... we DID NOT say 'Dunkin Donuts up the block has a muffin for forty cents less'. why would I send someone to the competing store by telling them it was cheaper? from a business perspective, that is crazy!
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Don't underestimate your fellow crafters -- I think we pretty much all know what's sold at the LSS, M's, etc. as well as appearing in the SU! catalog, KWIM? ;) When I was a customer, I used to purchase that stuff from my demo (now my wonderful upline!) anyway, because I wanted to support her business. We've since become great friends.

Since when did sound business practice become an issue of morals/ethics? If you really want to go down that road, wouldn't it be unethical of me as a demonstrator to violate the agreement I signed four years ago agreeing not to demonstrate competitors' products during my events? I don't ever say that adhesives, trimmers, or die-cutting supplies can only be bought through SU! because obviously that's just not true. However, I am not going to actively steer people elsewhere, either. I just present the products and let them decide whether or not they want to order them from me. Most of the time, they do!

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"