Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-01-2008, 06:35 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does a convention virgin need to know?

DH and I would really like to go next year. But I am a spaz and like to start planning early.

What hotels are best to stay at (what is in walking distance), etc?

What are things you might not think to budget for?

What is the schedule like for convention days (what time does it start, let out, etc) ?

Do we know the dates for next year yet?

Any info is greatly appreciated. I am a new demo so I know nothing about convention.

Thanks, Kristy
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #2  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by knclounder1View Post
DH and I would really like to go next year. But I am a spaz and like to start planning early.

What is the schedule like for convention days (what time does it start, let out, etc) ?

Do we know the dates for next year yet?

Any info is greatly appreciated. I am a new demo so I know nothing about convention.

Thanks, Kristy
What items do you suggest bringing also? Large rolling tote, camera, wallet:rolleyes: I'm sure...what else?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm subscribing...never been to convention and thinking about going next year...if nothing else to finally meet my upline in person!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Well, I saw a pic of a lady sitting on a tote... I'm assuming she'd check that in as luggage...I can't imaging trying to stuff all her goodies into her suitcase...to much..especially if she went shopping at the momento mall. I bet it would be cheaper mailing it home than sending it back on the plane..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I want to go too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Me Three! Need to start saving now!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappinheavenView Post
What items do you suggest bringing also? Large rolling tote, camera, wallet:rolleyes: I'm sure...what else?
with that wallet you will need some cash
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:38 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobsmeemawView Post
Me Three! Need to start saving now!
but how can we save and buy all the cool new stuff??????????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I don't have any advice for you, but I am cracking up about your "convention virgin" term. LOL!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2008, 04:03 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

I'm going to sign up as a demo in Sep or Oct and would love to go to convention next year and I'm like Kristy, would love to know what to plan and what to expect.
Thanks
Teresa in TN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yes, I too want to go. Though, can I admit that I would be afraid to go alone? I have no one to go with:( That's the reason I didn't go this year. I don't know anyone in my upline and currently, no downline. But oh, do I want to go!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plan for 4 days of chaotic no sleep screamin demos ;)
There are plenty of hotels within walking distance
Starts early in the morning and lets out in the late afternoon, then some nights (one or two-it may have changed this year) there are awards nights where they give out the big awards to top performers and have entertainment. so you squeeze a run out for dinner in between. The lunches are included, but some people don't like boxed lunches so they go get their own. I think that next years date was August 5th. You will learn more on the Demo side and perhaps at the SU site within the next day or so.

don't worry about not having someone to attend with, find a new friend here on SCS. I found one on sudsol one year, but ended up going with some of my group instead.
OR, recruit someone between now and then and go together. i personally don't like sharing room w/more than one or two people cause 4 gets too hectic for bathroom time and stuff strewn about the room after 3-4 days of swapping and sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 10:11 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

Received 92 Likes on 84 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KdgTeacherStamperView Post
Yes, I too want to go. Though, can I admit that I would be afraid to go alone? I have no one to go with:( That's the reason I didn't go this year. I don't know anyone in my upline and currently, no downline. But oh, do I want to go!

You don't need to know anyone to go, just GO! Once you have the registration and hotel in place, look on SCS for roommates. That is how I found my 3 in '05. And I'll be doing the same for next year!

Even if you are a hobby demo like me, it's worth it to go - so much FUN!!!

My Gallery ~ My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 03:35 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=stampylisa;10769774]don't worry about not having someone to attend with, find a new friend here on SCS.

Does anyone on scs want to be my friend?!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

[QUOTE=KdgTeacherStamper;10773636]
Quote:

Originally Posted by stampylisaView Post
don't worry about not having someone to attend with, find a new friend here on SCS.

I'll be your friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:08 PM   #16  
Inking Addict

Default I'm in Indiana.. .

I'll be your friend too!! LOL ;)

I know how you feel I want to go next year too, but don't want to go alone either. Not sure I want to drag my boyfriend either. . .I don't want the hassle of that, ie, him gripping over standing in line for 2 hours for Memonto Mall, whining about all us crazy girls . . . you know what I mean!! I think that would be a better trip for girls than significant other!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-02-2008, 06:40 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

I just went to my first convention...alone. I chatted with people at every event, at General Session, classes, on the train, at meals and in the hallways. I was invited to join others for lunches. The first day I ate quickly and went to photo the millions of cards on display. (Bring lots of memory sticks or some way to download your photos.)
I was finished eating while some people were still flagging down their friends to have them come to the saved seats.
My next steps will be to get a credit card that gives miles so I can earn my flight next year. Next year will also be in SLC, but Shelly said they don't have dates yet. I will come alone again, unless a few downline come with me.
My DH came w/me. We did Yellowstone first. There are busses all over and a deal that you pay $20 and can take a bus tour to bunches of places around town. Admission is included.
Bring a huge suitcase, and have room for "stuff". Some ship stuff home.
We were given 4 stamp sets and many stamp sets were given as prizes. We put a smaller suitcasse inside a BIG one. Going home tomorrow, we'll check 2 and carry-on the smaller one (w/the stamp sets and my swaps!!)
The most useful/imediate suggestion was to call every customer. Ask how they are enjoying their SU merchandise. If they haven't even opened their bags, offer to help. Chat them up, be excited about the new catty, and book workshops.
If you have a workshop over $300, explain to your hostess that the total is the quarterly requirement. "I can see that you have friends to support you, you should consider becomming a Demo."
Customers don't continue to buy products forever. We need to recruit them and find new customers.
Shelly has a wonderful business. They make it so that with some work, we can do it too. I've been a demo almost a year, I have no direct upline contact, so I've done it on my own (with help from the demo and SCS websites) I now have 2 down line and I want to make a real go of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

And to be honest, the idea of being around 5,000+ people and not having a buddy, could be quite intimidating. That's just my thought....

I just want to say thank you to those who offered to be my friend! I really feel you need to have a buddy or two with you at convention to make it more enjoyable. I know that if I got lost or had no clue what was going on, it would be nice to have someone to turn to, you know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryafifeView Post
I just went to my first convention...alone. I chatted with people at every event, at General Session, classes, on the train, at meals and in the hallways. I was invited to join others for lunches. The first day I ate quickly and went to photo the millions of cards on display. (Bring lots of memory sticks or some way to download your photos.)
I was finished eating while some people were still flagging down their friends to have them come to the saved seats.
My next steps will be to get a credit card that gives miles so I can earn my flight next year. Next year will also be in SLC, but Shelly said they don't have dates yet. I will come alone again, unless a few downline come with me.
My DH came w/me. We did Yellowstone first. There are busses all over and a deal that you pay $20 and can take a bus tour to bunches of places around town. Admission is included.
Bring a huge suitcase, and have room for "stuff". Some ship stuff home.
We were given 4 stamp sets and many stamp sets were given as prizes. We put a smaller suitcasse inside a BIG one. Going home tomorrow, we'll check 2 and carry-on the smaller one (w/the stamp sets and my swaps!!)
The most useful/imediate suggestion was to call every customer. Ask how they are enjoying their SU merchandise. If they haven't even opened their bags, offer to help. Chat them up, be excited about the new catty, and book workshops.
If you have a workshop over $300, explain to your hostess that the total is the quarterly requirement. "I can see that you have friends to support you, you should consider becomming a Demo."
Customers don't continue to buy products forever. We need to recruit them and find new customers.
Shelly has a wonderful business. They make it so that with some work, we can do it too. I've been a demo almost a year, I have no direct upline contact, so I've done it on my own (with help from the demo and SCS websites) I now have 2 down line and I want to make a real go of it.
Thanks for the insight!!! I'm glad your experience at convention was a positive one!! :-D :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 07:37 AM   #20  
Gabfest Goddess

subscribing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 01:38 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

I just survived my first convention and the one thing no one told me was how exhausting and overwhelming the check in day can be. We stood in line for memento mall for over 2 hours, then went on the tour, tried to find lunch (the restaurants right around the Salt Palace had waits of an hour at 2:00 p.m.). Then I had a few swaps that afternoon and the SCS dinner.

By the end of Wednesday, I was wondering why I thought convention would be a good idea!?!?!? But it got better everyday and I can't wait for next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 106 Likes on 36 Posts

[quote=KdgTeacherStamper;10773636]
Quote:

don't worry about not having someone to attend with, find a new friend here on SCS.

I'll be your friend too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:17 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Crescent City, CA (tsunami surfin' in the heart of the giant Redwoods!)

Quote:

I have to tell you that I have never met a group of people so warm, friendly and supportive as the women I have had the pleasure of "meeting" on this site! Everyone has such big welcoming arms that it makes one feel like they are long lost sisters. I look forward to attending my first convention next year, and short of inviting my future downline (I hope!), I don't think I want anyone else, including my DH, with me...they couldn't possibly understand this crazed sisterhood of stampers!

I just kept thinking about how incredible it was to see over 5000 people at the Salt Palace (the photo from the balcony of them leaving for lunch on Day 1) all with such an exciting common interest! I think this is the coolest group of people to associate with, and I can hardly wait until next year!

I would love to have you count me as one of your friends, and I look forward to meeting you at convention next year as well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:32 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 106 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyfern31View Post
I have to tell you that I have never met a group of people so warm, friendly and supportive as the women I have had the pleasure of "meeting" on this site! Everyone has such big welcoming arms that it makes one feel like they are long lost sisters. I look forward to attending my first convention next year, and short of inviting my future downline (I hope!), I don't think I want anyone else, including my DH, with me...they couldn't possibly understand this crazed sisterhood of stampers!

I just kept thinking about how incredible it was to see over 5000 people at the Salt Palace (the photo from the balcony of them leaving for lunch on Day 1) all with such an exciting common interest! I think this is the coolest group of people to associate with, and I can hardly wait until next year!

I would love to have you count me as one of your friends, and I look forward to meeting you at convention next year as well!
HI new friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

And to be honest, the idea of being around 5,000+ people and not having a buddy, could be quite intimidating. That's just my thought....

I just want to say thank you to those who offered to be my friend! I really feel you need to have a buddy or two with you at convention to make it more enjoyable. I know that if I got lost or had no clue what was going on, it would be nice to have someone to turn to, you know?
I'll be your friend too. My upline is in another state and I don't have any downline either, so I know how you feel. I am going to save as much as I can in order to go next year. It would be nice to have someone to share room expenses and all the excitement during convention.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Crescent City, CA (tsunami surfin' in the heart of the giant Redwoods!)

Let's plan on having dinner together the night before Convention starts (is this a good time?). I'll keep a list of everyone who wants to get together, and we can anticipate the excitement of days to come! We could find a restaurant near the palace that can accommodate all of us (depending on how many we are!). Anybody game? If so, I'll add you to the list, and send an email reminder in the weeks preceding convention!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I wouldn't know anyone either......so if we both wind up going....I'll hang with you...if that's okay?????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyfern31View Post
Let's plan on having dinner together the night before Convention starts (is this a good time?). I'll keep a list of everyone who wants to get together, and we can anticipate the excitement of days to come! We could find a restaurant near the palace that can accommodate all of us (depending on how many we are!). Anybody game? If so, I'll add you to the list, and send an email reminder in the weeks preceding convention!

Please count me in!!!!!! Thanks Patti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

I am planning on going to the 25th anniversary convention. I think it will take me that long to save up enough money to really enjoy myself. I am trying to convince my DH to go with me. I am thinking we could celebrate our 15th wedding anniversary in SLC. Yeah that's what I'll tell him (insert evil grin).

"Kindness is something the the blind can see and the deaf can hear" -unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:35 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Umm....that's my main reason for not going this year! I had no one to go with!!:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM   #31  
Crimping Master

I am in for the day before dinner- and we should start groups who would like to share hotel rooms- and those who want privacy to themselves... I really hope to get my 2 girls in my downline (more friends than downlind...) to come next year...one has gone before, myself and the other have never been. And honestly- most of you ladies- where you guys come from- going and figuring out salt lake- piece of cake. It's not like we are figuring out the streets of New York! i am from a tiny town in Wyoming and I am all for it- i don't know Salt Lake like it's my home but it is definitely doable i think.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #32  
Compulsive Stamper

If you go to the Convetion center site it has the 2009 calender and it lists Stampin' UP as 08/05/09 - 08/08/09.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by knclounder1View Post

I stayed at Little America. It was about 3 long blocks away. Next year, I'd stay at the Marriott. Right across the street. Or Shiloh Inn. Also across street.

I had no personal surprises. I bought one of most (but not all things) at Memento Mall and spend about $175-$200. I had no clue what to budget for that ahead of time.

What is the schedule like for convention days (what time does it start, let out, etc) ? Long days! I got up at 5 AM every morning to be in line early for things. It's exhausting yet exhilirating. Plan on collapsing when you get on the plane home. I just got home 1 hour ago.

Do we know the dates for next year yet? No, Shelli said it was not set in stone yet (still negotiating) but it is definitely in Salt Lake again.

I've been a demo 6+ years. This was my 1st convention. Highly, highly recommend it!! Family conflicts prevented me in the past but I'll be hard pressed to miss it again. It was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Kristy
See my answers in red above.

www.StellarStamps.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:02 PM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

:oops: I am hoping that my hubby gets to reenlist while down range and using a part of the reenlistment bonus for convention next year...........does that make me a bad wife:confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM   #35  
Rubber Obsessor

I have everyone on the list for dinner that has expressed a desire to get together. I will continue to check in, and I think a list for roommates is excellent as well. I, for one, will be looking to share a room with anyone understanding about middle-of-the-night-potty-runs!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #36  
Glitter Guru

I should also mention that I went to convention by myself. As a local, I had no roommates to be my automatic buddies either. Some from my upline group were there, but I have only met them casually once or twice. I was a little worried too. But I made some great friends out of some of my SCS "virtual friends" (as my DH calls them). And we are looking forward to a reunion at next years convention. Everyone really is nice so don't let that stop you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I am in Ohio too and am seriously considering going. I don't know anyone and am afraid to go alone, mainly the flyin gpart of it. Hopefully as the time gets closer I can find someone to go with!

http://www.ericasartisticattic.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 04:28 PM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=epayne;10781843][QUOTE=KdgTeacherStamper;10773636]

I am in Ohio too and am seriously considering going. I don't know anyone and am afraid to go alone, mainly the flyin gpart of it. Hopefully as the time gets closer I can find someone to go with![/QUOTE

I am from Central Ohio and am really, really going to try and go next year. Put me on the dinner list and I will probably need to find a roomie! Couldn't go this year with my upline ( her first convention) but am so hoping finances are in order next year to go!

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=77229
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:10 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

[QUOTE=jacobsmeemaw;10781921][QUOTE=epayne;10781843]
Quote:

I am in Ohio too and am seriously considering going. I don't know anyone and am afraid to go alone, mainly the flyin gpart of it. Hopefully as the time gets closer I can find someone to go with![/QUOTE

I am from Central Ohio and am really, really going to try and go next year. Put me on the dinner list and I will probably need to find a roomie! Couldn't go this year with my upline ( her first convention) but am so hoping finances are in order next year to go!
I've got you on the dinner list. Everyone should feel free to invite anyone else whenever the conversation turns to it. I think this is going to be a great way to buddy-up for Convention 2009!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2008, 05:55 PM   #40  
Inking Addict

Default I got it all figured out. . .

For the three in Ohio. I'm in southeastern Indiana, about an hour and a half from Dayton (I drive fast!! lol), I'll meet ya'all at the Dayton airport and we can all room together, since it sounds like we all have no one to go with, problem solved!!! I'm seriously going next year too, come 'hay' or high water!!;)
Reply With Quote Likes