Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #81  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
Renee, it IS doable! You have the list, now just prioritize it and set a date to finish item number 1. Then figure out what you have to do to get from where you are to finishing that item. With kids, I am sure it is hard to schedule too far ahead, but at least on a Sunday night, block out some "Renee Time" to work on your project. You will be amazed at how much you can accomplish when you are motivated and focused.

I don't do scrapbooking, but can you do some of the organizing for during some of your wait times -- waiting on kids to get out of school, waiting at the doctor's office etc? If so, make sure you have some pics and envelopes with you at all times to work through them. Or some paper and pen to draft any journalling you want to do by the pictures.
Yes it is doable! I have everything organized and somewhat ready to go, I just need some inspiration and mojo! I have to get my daughters HS book done before she graduates in May. I would love to get that done by Feb or March at the latest (that is being realistic, of course I would love it done by the end of January) My big thing is getting the mojo and inspiration!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #82  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Barbara Jay, I love learning new things, so your list sounds like it has some very fun things on it. I have been wanting to learn how to do the Copic airbrushing. I would be interested in knowing how easy/hard it is when you get to that goal. It is great that you have specific things you know you want to get rid of it. Makes it easier to accomplish it. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 PM   #83  
Stazon Splitcoast

Makalah, how fun that you have a space dedicated to your crafting! Two summers ago I finally decided I needed a stamp room more than a guest bedroom and made the conversion. Love it, but still working on the organizational systems that will work on it. I have my SU c/s figured out as I was able to buy those display racks several years ago. This year I figured out how to organize my scraps, but still don't have the best place to put the containers. I hope you make some progress on your own creative space.

Good luck on your goals for building your business. Maybe you can take advantage of some of the challenges on SCS and elsewhere to attack some of those card and scrap projects you want to do. Like making Christmas cards or thank you cards for each challenge you participate in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #84  
Stazon Splitcoast

Renee, the inspiration is the joy your daughter will experience when she gets the scrapbook. As for the mojo, can't help a lot with that -- maybe "fake it till you make it?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 06:26 PM   #85  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

For those of you who are interested in digital photography and want to do more with it.... if you have a local community college see if they offer any of those classes. My town has one and a couple of years ago I took beginning digital photography and then went right into Photoshop 1 and then Photoshop 2. I am a senior person so it cost much less. I learned so much about my camera (Canon Rebel) and then what do to with all my photos. It was so worth the time and money. I now have great pictures to work with in my scrapbooking. I hope this encourages you all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #86  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great idea Kate Stamps! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #87  
Matboard Maniac

I definitely have crafting-related goals for 2013.

1. I want to make more 'general', all-purpose cards.

2. I want to actually SEND them out. I'm horrible about that. Good intentions, I have. Follow through, not so much. :/

3. I want to make 'stampin up' exclusive Christmas ornaments. Enough in number, and variety to decorate an entire tree. If not completely stampin up, then most definitely entirely homemade.

4. I want to learn to truly design my own cards. All I do is CASE, because I have no creativity...and I just don't understand how to use printed papers and layers to suit me. I have a very specific taste..clean and simply, so you would think that it wouldn't be as much of challenge...but alas, it is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM   #88  
Stazon Splitcoast

Deborah, A tree covered in SU ornaments -- what a cool idea! Are you starting with a table top size tree or going right for the full-sized tree?

If you like CAS cards, maybe you don't need to do a lot with the printed papers. You aren't alone in finding that CAS cards can be just as challenging to make as the layer-upon-layer cards. I am still trying to get where it isn't so challenging for me. Then again, even when I try to CASE cards, they can be rather challenging. One of the things that helps me is to look at those CAS cards others make that I really like and try to figure out what it is about them that I like. It may be a particular layout, or a shape or a type of font.

Good luck with all your goals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 PM   #89  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

This is a super thread! I have lots of creative goals heading into 2013. I do feel great about what I've accomplished in 2012! This year I planned to learn more about my DSLR and this fall I did finally take a weekend class that was awesome. I also did a lot of scrapbooking this year - hastened by joining the Scrapbook Goals Challenge here on SCS Scrapbook Goals Challenges Forum - Monthly Scrapbook Goals & More. Everyone is welcome, it's a fun friendly place and in the Scrapbooking section of the Challenges area there are a lot of great challenges posted weekly - and lots of archives too! We recently resurrected the Digital Scrapbooking Challenges and invite any digi or traditional scrapbookers to join us!

Anyway, my goals!

1. Start a bi-monthly card class - I'm an SU hobby demo and my friends have been asking for this. I think it will help me keep making cards and build my stash back up, but also to whittle down my hoard of supplies!
2. Plan and complete at least one quilting project. I'm fascinated by fabric lately! I think I need to buy a kit to get real comfortable though!
3. Keep up my scrapbooking - I will make a goal of 120 pages again, including some Project Life style pages.
4. Play and journal with my Smash books
5. Knit a sweater for each of my kids(3) and one or two for me, along with two baby sets (for one of my son's basketball coaches whose wife is having twins due in February)

I think that's it ;)

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #90  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by swldebbieView Post
Deborah, A tree covered in SU ornaments -- what a cool idea! Are you starting with a table top size tree or going right for the full-sized tree?

If you like CAS cards, maybe you don't need to do a lot with the printed papers. You aren't alone in finding that CAS cards can be just as challenging to make as the layer-upon-layer cards. I am still trying to get where it isn't so challenging for me. Then again, even when I try to CASE cards, they can be rather challenging. One of the things that helps me is to look at those CAS cards others make that I really like and try to figure out what it is about them that I like. It may be a particular layout, or a shape or a type of font.

Good luck with all your goals!
My 'plan' is to go for a full-sized tree. I put up more than one, but we'll see how that goes! lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #91  
Stazon Splitcoast

Terri, sounds like you have your act together with you scrapbooking, so 2013 should be a breeze there. The classes for/with your friends will be fun and maybe have the side benefit of putting some extra money in your pocket from product sales.

I love quilts. I grew up in Amish/Mennonite country so handmade quilts were always around. One year my grandma bought me a quilt at a big fundraising event at the retirement community where she lived. I still have and love it. My ex-MIL also did beautiful quilts. At one point, I thought quilting would be "my thing" until my mom and I went to a rubber stamp class at a LSS and I fell in love with the stamping.

I used to knit as well and know how nice it is to be able to make things for loved ones. I am sure your son's coach and his wife will love the "made with love" gift for their twins.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #92  
Hardware Hotshot

well, i say it every year, but this year i mean it! LOL

I will NOT let non-crafters make me feel guilty for loving my hobby or MAKING time for myself to enjoy it ;)

and, i plan to MAKE more time to do just that!

i just started a blog, and i want it to inspire me to create more to post about.

i also want to do some sewing, there's a charity i have donated to over the years, and i wanna do up some stuff for them again.

Last edited by sempermom; 12-23-2012 at 01:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #93  
Rubber Obsessor

To finally open up the 2 boxes of over 1000 scrapbook materials I got some years ago and have not had the space or time to work on. I have the space now, looking for the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 PM   #94  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post

I will NOT let non-crafters make me feel guilty for loving my hobby or MAKING time for myself to enjoy it ;)

i just started a blog, and i want it to inspire me to create more to post about.

i also want to do some sewing, there's a charity i have donated to over the years, and i wanna do up some stuff for them again.
I'm contemplating blogging too, butnim not sure.....

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 01:23 AM   #95  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sempermomView Post

Oh my gosh I feel the same way too but a bit backwards. I don't want crafters to make me feel guilty for crafting. I swear 2012 has been the year since I have met and seen the most hateful women I have ever encountered. I really thought about packing it all up and giving up.

I have met crafters who get angry you don't use their choice die cutting machines, Copics or other what not. I have met crafters who tear down what you own or what you use. One of my resolutions is too surround myself around crafters who support one another.

I want to make a YouTube channel. I do have a blog with nothing on it, lol. I think I would do better with a YouTube channel. I am really nervous about making videos because I am really shy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #96  
Stazon Splitcoast

sempermom -- don't listen to those people! they must just be jealous that you have a hobby you love that gives you pleasure and they don't. that is terrible that they would try to guilt trip you. So yes, you definitely want to make that goal in 2013. YOU DESERVE IT!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #97  
Stazon Splitcoast

Diana, you're halfway there since you have the space. Now go get your calendar and block out some time each week of January IN INK before everybody else sucks up all your time. And remember -- you are as deserving of your time as everybody else. Remember that handy little word, "no" when someone wants your creative time and saying yes feels more like an obligation than a true desire to say yes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2012, 05:30 PM   #98  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn, I think you have those snobs with every hobby. Don't let them get to you. Hobbies are there for the pleasure of the person engaging in them. Just because you and I enjoy different products does not mean one of us is right and one of us is wrong. Thankfully, I haven't met a lot of stamping snobs, but I have met some (IRL or online) over the many years i have been stamping. I decided long ago that their attitude is their issue not mine, so I just distance myself from them as much as possible. And, when I have to be around them, I simply remind myself that I can't control those people, but can control my response to them. And I choose not to let them get to me.

I totally encourage you to try the You Tube station. Maybe just share it with friends initially so you don't feel so nervous about it. If you never get comfortable opening it up to more people, at least you tried. If you do get comfortable and share beyond your friends, it might just make you have more confidence and be a little less shy. Go for it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #99  
Rubber Obsessor

My biggest goal this year is to utilize both my Stampin Up products with my Cricut cartridges! I've been really good about making my purchases, but I need to work together with both of them to be more creative!

My second goal is to think outside the box when it comes to colors! I'm usually using white, black and a prime color. I got a SU Color Coach so I'm hoping to break out of my shell!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2012, 05:49 PM   #100  
Pearl-ExPert

DeeAnn: I like your plan. I use what I like, and have FUN and if asked, I will make suggestions about materials or supplies I prefer, but never say they are the only acceptable ones. I love seeing things people create with supplies and machines I do not have. It is always so fascinating to me and teaches me something.

For the new year, I plan to spend more time enjoying my hobby. My room is now complete, and it has been crazy busy so I am not enjoying my time like I used to.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 AM   #101  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you. I appreciate your encouragement. I actually took some time yesterday to make a few cards. Just hard not feeling guilty with all the things that need to get done. But you are so right. Besides, all that stuff will still be there when I'm done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #102  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Great thread!!

1. Number one priority is to complete setting up my creative space. I moved recently and this is the first time since I got into papercrafting 10 years ago that I have enough space to set up a studio and to organize all my stuff. What a joy it is to know what I have and to actually be able to put my hands on it when I want it and to not be working in a cramped area - this is so much more fun! I figure that it will take me the better part of 2013 to get it completely set up.
2. Number two is to continue to participate in SCS swaps - I enjoy them very much. I have been making an effort to include swaps that require me to use products or techniques or to make items that are atypical for me and I will continue to do that. This is opening new creative doors for me and closing some doors on things that I thought I'd love but came to find out 'not so much' haha.
3. Number three is to become proficient on the KNK Maxx that I just got. This will also take the better part of 2013, I have no doubt. So far, I have drawn an arrow with a pen tool (just to give you some idea how far I have to go to get some skills).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 01:59 PM   #103  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to thank everyone who posted on this thread. I've needed to start thinking about 2013 goals and have been avoiding it. You've all given me a LOT to think about and I appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 02:22 PM   #104  
Kookie Creator

This is a great thread! Inspired me to get organized and back on track with my hobby

For 2013 I want to:
* do some sewing projects
* get at least one of my creations published. I have been lazy even sending in anything for publishing so far
* make at least 1 set of my own stamp designs

Most importantly I want to be regular with my crafting and give it the time it deserves. Nothing relaxes me more than crafting!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:09 PM   #105  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

I would like to try scrap booking and plan to do a page a week about my life that week. My DD and I are both giving it a try and going to use Stampin' Up's divided pages. We hope to talk some friends into joining us. I also hope to post results on my blog each week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 05:39 PM   #106  
Rubber Obsessor

Lightbulb

Christmas day by dzuckerman - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

OK, so this is another thing I wanted to accomplish....upload my first card or two. And include the link. Just looked at a little tutorial on it from another thread.Very helpful. The only thing is I realized I took the photos with shadows on the cards. Well....first time. Next one will be better :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #107  
Kookie Creator

You know I just want to br organized this coming year. I want everything it it's place so I can find what I'm looking for. As it is right now, I can barely walk into my craft room. I have supplies and cards all over the house and can't find the one I want .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #108  
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to MegsLeigh

My goals:

- I'd like to participate in some challenges on here. I got brave and joined a couple of swaps a few weeks ago, so this is the next step for me. It's helped that I've invested in a few more supplies since I first started making cards.

- I want to build up my equipment, but do it smartly so I don't have a ton of stuff I don't need laying around the apartment. So far, everything is manageable.

- Get cards I make out to people I love this year, especially my in-laws in the UK. We'd been relying on Moonpig to create cards and have them mailed, but I want to do stuff with my own talents now.

- Make/send cards to charity. Right now, I'm considering Operation Write Home.

- Consider selling some original cards on Etsy. I have some medical bills I'm facing in the next year (bloody dentist), and if they go over well, it might help offset a little bit of it. I've been prototyping some cards for it.

- Break my cardmaking out into a separate blog. Right now, I just post what I make on my existing personal blog and Tumblr, but it'd be easy to create a separate Tumblr just for the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:11 PM   #109  
Stazon Splitcoast

Tinalala -- I don't have a Cricut, but I am betting you can make some really cool things combining its capabilities with your SU products.

I love the color coach. The other tool that might help you out is the Tuesday Color Challenge here on SCS. Best part of the CC is that you have all those examples. Sometimes I think "ick!" when I read a certain color challenge and then I see someone's posted card where the colors are balanced in such a way that I realize what a cool color combo after all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM   #110  
Stazon Splitcoast

Winnie, what fun -- a newly completed space for the new year. Enjoy it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:14 PM   #111  
Stazon Splitcoast

Diana, nobody has ever accused me of being a neat freak. So trust me when I say - the housework will definitely still be there when you are done. I have NEVER come out of my craft room to find that the chores did themselves. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #112  
Stazon Splitcoast

QueenofInkland -- enjoy setting up your creative space! I can't tell you how much I enjoy having a dedicated room for my crafting.

Kudos to you on using the swaps to spread your creative wings. That is a great idea!

What is a KNK Maxx? A graphics program?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #113  
Stazon Splitcoast

Chaitali, glad we could help. You will have to make a post when you get published and with your stamp set design. I am sure we will all be thrilled with what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #114  
Stazon Splitcoast

Barbara -- that sounds like a fun project. I have followed some bloggers who do a photo a day challenge for an entire year -- like you -- just documenting everyday life. It is fun to see. If you can get some other couples, maybe you can combine with a rotating group dinner social event each month to share your pages.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #115  
Stazon Splitcoast

Shelley -- I hear you! The only positive spin I can put on my "looks like a cyclone came through" stamp room at times is that I get to practice my yoga balance moves because there is only enough space for me to step through on my tip toes. ESPECIALLY, but not limited to, when I am working on holiday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 01:37 PM   #116  
Stazon Splitcoast

Meg, good luck with the dentist! Hope you succeed in being able to sell some of your cards to offset the costs. One hint -- send cards to your friends or co-workers (if you have co-workers). I don't usually sell my cards, but I have found a lot of people asking me if they could purchase my cards, so it is sort of a cheap way to advertise your talents. Another idea is to offer card sets to local charities that might have silent auctions. It goes with your idea of supporting the charities, but if you have your contact info in with the packaging, you might get a call for a pay-for job.

The SCS forums are great places to find out which equipment are gotta haves and which are disappointments. Since everybody is different, I would suggest finding out WHY people love the products they do and checking out their gallery to see if they seem to have similar style to your own. This will help you know which suggestions are likely to be the most helpful for you.

Participating in the challenges is definitely a great idea.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 02:11 PM   #117  
Insane Embellisher

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

I too wish to be able to walk straight into my craftroom instead of threading my way through the piles of things. I never recovered from making my trades for SU convention followed by 175 wedding favor boxes for a niece's wedding ( she is my favorite). I made Christmas cards and then didn't have the energy to mail them out.
Goal #1 Clean, purge and organize craft room
Goal #2 Photograph the craft items I want to sell on Etsy and post them.
Sub goal: donate the hundreds of cards and craft items to nursing homes instead of hoarding them in boxes.
Goal #3 Concentrate on making 3D things and repurposing items. Use the stash of stuff I have been saving for something special.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:04 PM   #118  
Stazon Splitcoast

Beth, sounds like you have a great plan! I really love the part about donating the cards to a nursing home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #119  
Stazon Splitcoast

You all are making me think I should have a clean/organize stamp area goal and flesh it out a bit. For now, think I will mostly keep that as part of my overall simplify/reduce, reuse and recycle goal, but may try to work on the room a little bit each month between January and when I have the stamp studio slotted for my full focus. Will try to at least come up with some suggested tasks to post for those who are going to tackle their craft rooms in 2013. WE CAN DO THIS!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #120  
Stazon Splitcoast

Susan (LateBlossom) -- glad we could help. I look forward to what you come up with.
Reply With Quote Likes