Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-03-2012, 03:33 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you use to make flowers

I really want to start making my own flowers and would like to know what tools you use to make them.... do you use a punch? or a cutting system such as nestabilities ? I really don't like large flowers as I find them too bulky so I am leaning towards something smaller......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the Martha Stewart flower punches all the time to make flowers. A favorite is the Daisy punch. You punch twice, layer, put a center on it, and you're done. You can use pearls, rhinestones, buttons, etc. This makes a cute flower I think, and you can make it any color to coordinate with your card. Also, it's small and not bulky for mailing. Here is a card showing it:

Friendship Is Like a Violin by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

For a larger flower, I like the Tim Holtz Tattered Floral die. Here it is:

Tattered Florals Pink by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Here is another Tattered Floral:

Happy Birthday Karen by buggainok - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

There are tons of tutorials on the web for making your own flowers. Just google it and you will find a lot of ideas.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I use punches or dies. My current favorite are Spellbinder dies and crepe paper. The crepe paper is on a roll in the party section used for streamers from Walmart.
They mail very well.
To make the flowers I use a length of crepe paper and fold it over and over maybe 8 + times . Then I cut it with the die. Punch a hole in the center and put in a brad to hold all the layers together. Then I just fluff up the layers.

Here is a link of a card using the crepe paper flowers and the Spellbinder dies I used is in the description

Justrite JRC_053- Fabulous Birthday by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 08-03-2012 at 05:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 19 Posts

Go to MCGill to see how to make punches - lots of good ideas
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 05:25 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Barbara,
I absolutely love your flowers. Just amazing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2012, 06:45 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default paper flowers

How about Mel's Stampz blog? I love her flower tutorials! You can follow link here.

Last edited by Jill with a G; 08-04-2012 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: url old
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #7  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I use punches or dies. My current favorite are Spellbinder dies and crepe paper. The crepe paper is on a roll in the party section used for streamers from Walmart.
They mail very well.
To make the flowers I use a length of crepe paper and fold it over and over maybe 8 + times . Then I cut it with the die. Punch a hole in the center and put in a brad to hold all the layers together. Then I just fluff up the layers.

Here is a link of a card using the crepe paper flowers and the Spellbinder dies I used is in the description

Justrite JRC_053- Fabulous Birthday by Barbara Jay - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Your flowers are terrific !! And crepe paper - I never would have thought of that - it makes the flowers so full-looking - WELL DONE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I've been making mini roses with Nesties and a flower punch. They are a little fussy to do, but turn out sweet. Step-by-step photos are in this thread: Small roses made with Nesties scalloped ovals
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #9  
SAH
Inking Addict

Quote:

Those flowers are gorgeous! Do you cut all 8 layers with the same die, or did you use different sizes in the set and then layer them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Usually I use punches with cs or patterned paper. I've also embroidered flowers with silk ribbon on cards, since needlework is my main hobby. I want to get some flower dies and try them with fabrics and other types of paper. I figure flowers need not be all that realistic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 04:24 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

They mail very well.

Barbara, your flowers are fantastic. I think I may have to get some crepe paper and give that a try. Great ideas, TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAHView Post
Those flowers are gorgeous! Do you cut all 8 layers with the same die, or did you use different sizes in the set and then layer them?
Thank you!
I cut them all at once with one die. I use length of crepe paper and fold it over and over to make a square with many layers. Then I cut the layered square with a die . I don't bother with the embossing step.

Pierce a hole in center and insert a brad to hold all of the layers and fluff up the layers. Because crepe paper is used you can also stretch a few of the outside layers to form ruffled edges .
Crepe paper comes in many colors, but when I don't have the exact color I want I just use white for the flower and tip the edges with a Copic marker to get the color I want . :-D
They are very quick and easy to make
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

P.S. The crepe paper does NOT work with punches. I tired, but the crepe paper got stuck in the punch :( I then tired putting one piece of crepe paper between two sheets of copy paper and the crepe paper stretched and it was a very fiddly process to cut one layer at a time . So cutting with dies is the best way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2012, 07:18 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I love using Spellbinders flower dies with crepe paper. I have even used Tissue Paper I bought at the dollar store, too! My favorite dies to make flowers with is Bitty Blossoms (spellbinders). Here is a card I made using those dies.

PS....I will upload some others to my gallery in a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
What do you use to make flowers-dsc00432.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all your suggestions, I certainly have ideas of where to go from here... cute examples and great tutorials.
Jeannine
Reply With Quote Likes