Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2009, 12:41 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think?

So, I bought some white 8 1/2 x 11 cardstock from an online store that a lot of people recommended. I bought this white cardstock specifically to use them as a base card. The weight of this white cardstock is perfect, just what I was looking for except.....

the cardstock is 8 7/16 x 11" then 11 1/16 on the other end.

I contacted the company and I had to wait for a certain someone to come back from vacation. The person came back the next week and said I could return the paper and they would refund me $3 for shipping. Shipping for all the paper would be more than $3 (paper is heavy to send, ya know) so I asked if I only sent paper enough for $3 postage, would I only get the same # of sheets back or would I get a whole new pack. I have not received a reply yet. I feel I shouldn't have to pay for extra postage to send a defective item(s). I feel I should get a whole new pack because I can't use the cardstock specifically for what I wanted. I have other cardstock I can use for layering.

My question to you ladies: What should I do? Should I spend $4.95 to send the paper or just enough for $3? It really isn't the money, but the principle. I received defective items.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 270 Likes on 138 Posts

Your product is defective and they should replace it free of charge....I don't think you should have to mail back the cs that is cut wrong. Do they think they are the only game in town?

Every experience God gives us, every person He puts in our lives is preparation for a future that only He can see--Corrie ten Boom
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:08 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree about the principle but I would be afraid that if you sent only $3 worth of paper, then you'd only get $3 worth of paper back. Then you would have a whole new set of problems. lol

It's too bad that the company didn't just send you another pack and save the $3 and keep the customer happy. I like to think that's what I would have done if it were my company.

If I were you, I would just send the whole pack and eat the couple of extra bucks and remember this situation in the future when you're on the hunt for good paper. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would talk again to customer service, go up a level if need be.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:23 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11View Post
I would talk again to customer service, go up a level if need be.
Have to agree with that, Makes no sense to credit 3:00 if shipping's 4.95. Time to elevate your complaint

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree that you should NOT have to send back the defective paper at your expence, or send it back PERIOD!

I've only ever been asked to send something back when it was a big $$ item. (it was a stoneware dish from pampered chef and it exploded... I had to pay to send a piece of it back to prove that it broke, i guess. it cost me $12....)

But that was NOT paper... come on. just send her some new paper! (cut properly....)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

I thought cardstock was approximately 8 1/2 x 11 inches. I'm certain that it has been discussed before that because of the bulk nature of producing cardstock the measurement is an approximation. I'm wondering if 1/16 of an inch is within acceptable industry standards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

to be honest, I would let it go. NOT because I think this is a good situation, but because my time is more important to me than the principle or the few bucks. But, if I thought I wasn't being treated fairly, I would take my $$ elsewhere...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 01:57 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I thought cardstock was approximately 8 1/2 x 11 inches. I'm certain that it has been discussed before that because of the bulk nature of producing cardstock the measurement is an approximation. I'm wondering if 1/16 of an inch is within acceptable industry standards.

deleted my reply

Last edited by luvallthisstampin; 11-17-2009 at 02:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 373 Likes on 222 Posts

I can understand your frustration; really, I can. That being said, I would just use the cardstock as it is. For me, 1/16 of an inch either way isn't worth the hassle. I would probably trim off 1/8 of an inch if it was too difficult to trim the 1/16. That's just me, though. I try to avoid aggravation whenever possible and not sweat the small stuff. I do agree that they should reimburse you for all of your postage, though, if that's what you want them to do. You purchased the paper thinking it was one size, and it isn't. Customer service is everything to me. I hope you get this resolved to your satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

i have to admit...

seems no matter where i get mine. there are always some that are just a tick short.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:31 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

OMG stuff like this makes me SOOOOO crazy.
First I am always (it seems like always anyway) getting cardstock and paper from various places that is NOT cut right. I mean really these people are supposed to be the pros. It seems like no one can measure right (I have my own issues with this and don't need extra aggravation) why can't the SB/stamping industry all get the same ruler? Of course with my experience with straight cutters maybe they are using the same ones I have :rolleyes: a whole different thread.
Second they should step up their game. Do they realize how bad the economy is? Customer service is more important then ever!! One bad thread about them here or on the other veggie board could really make or break them.
Not only should they send you out new cardstock but you shouldn't have to ship the first pack back either. They should also be sending you some little extra goody to make up for the whole thing even if it is a yard of ribbon.
To any business ppl reading this I love ya all (the 10,000 in inventory I call a scrapbook room says so) and wish nothing but the best, customer service makes or breaks you.
Step up your game or stay home!
TTFN~
Rose
PS. The last line was only addressed to those who need it. They know who they are.

Last edited by mandmrose; 11-17-2009 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 02:43 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

It sounds to me, though, that the problem isn't just that the measurement is 1/16" off, it's that the cardstock isn't cut square - if you measure down the one side of the card, it's 11" long and if you measure down the other side, it's 1/16" longer.

I never have a problem with a company wanting their defective items back - they may use them to try to find out where quality control failed; but the customer should not have to pay shipping to return them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #14  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You may want to try to call them again and speak to a different person or ask for the owner or manager.

I would think that if any owner or manager knew that you were trying to exchange a defective product, they would wave the shipping completely and make the appropriate exchange.

Of course, I do not know the business practices of the company you are referring to, however, I think it's worth another shot.

I hope you find resolution to this issue.

{{{hugs}}}

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2009, 08:31 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

My husband has been in the print business for over 30 years and discussing this with him he says when a printer buys any stock, card or otherwise, there is no industry standard that would accept 1/16 of an inch off in any direction. It should be a pure 8 1/2 x 11 and yes even 1/16th is enough to send a whole order back, 500 sheets or 50,000; they wouldn't accept it. He also informs me there are only three major paper mills in the country and it doesn't matter who you are buying card stock from, it will have originated out of one of the three. (He also tells me if he did enough digging he could find out any companies paper mill.......but as of yet he hasn't found it worth his time! If only he knew how much money he is spending! LOL)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:13 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by FallnPetalView Post
My husband has been in the print business for over 30 years and discussing this with him he says when a printer buys any stock, card or otherwise, there is no industry standard that would accept 1/16 of an inch off in any direction. It should be a pure 8 1/2 x 11 and yes even 1/16th is enough to send a whole order back, 500 sheets or 50,000; they wouldn't accept it. He also informs me there are only three major paper mills in the country and it doesn't matter who you are buying card stock from, it will have originated out of one of the three. (He also tells me if he did enough digging he could find out any companies paper mill.......but as of yet he hasn't found it worth his time! If only he knew how much money he is spending! LOL)
Thanks- I was obviously just more accepting of the situation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you everyone. I truly had hesitated and waited a couple of weeks to email the company. I don't like confrontation. Two main reasons why I finally did email them were:

1) I had ordered 4 packs of this paper and fortunately & unfortunately, I had traded here on SCS 3 out of the 4 packs to various people (I feel bad for them);

2) I do like their paper and the price is good, so I wanted some proof that if I obtained some more, they would be pure 8 1/2 x 11 size like my SU, Neenah and GinaK were.

I think my problem went to the higher/highest person. That is why I had to wait a week for her to return from vacation to get an answer. Thanks again everyone. I knew my SCS sisters would understand my "paper problem".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:33 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
to be honest, I would let it go. NOT because I think this is a good situation, but because my time is more important to me than the principle or the few bucks. But, if I thought I wasn't being treated fairly, I would take my $$ elsewhere...
While certainly NOT trying to negate the original poster's issues with the card stock, I think in this case I would tend to agree with Joan. Sometimes I am willing to "eat" someone else's mistake because my time is more valuable to me- sometimes life is just too short to worry about the small stuff. On the other hand, I certainly would not be ordering from this company again, nor would I be recommending them to anyone else and I'd probably let them know this by email as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

I agree with the other poster who said they would never order from this company again. I think it's crazy that they want you to return the defective paper. Maybe one sheet so they could see the problem, but the whole ream? That just seems like they don't believe their customers.

I would just keep the paper and shop elsewhere from now on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2009, 06:53 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Would you be willing to share the name of the company?
Reply With Quote Likes