Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #961  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The SCS cookbook and all the working going into is amazing! I'm trying to find the beginning of the talk about it, but there are so many posts, I keep getting lost. Big Question - have I missed it? I so want to try these ideas, good and others. The lotion has me intrigued. I've not found the original start for that yet either, so will take some time tomorrow and see if I can find it. Everyone is so great with sharing - but that's what we do - RIGHT! Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 05:50 PM   #962  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sharlottswebView Post
I am making an album for Great Aunt Ruby. When we were kids we lived a short distance from our Great Grandparents. She took care of both of them til they passed away. She didn't get married until she was 71 years old. So she never had children, and neither did her husband who was 81 when they got married. But she spent a lot of time babysitting me and my two little brothers over the years. I have a ton of pics of her and us kids. She is now in a nursing home, and I got to thinking that she might like something showing (and telling) what a difference she made in our life.
Oh, I bet she will LOVE it!! What a thoughtful, special gift to give to her, it will show her how much she has meant to you and your brothers!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #963  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would love to get your Hot & spicy nut recipe. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 07:54 AM   #964  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecarter73View Post
I would love to get your Hot & spicy nut recipe. Thanks
me, too......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #965  
Cardstock Collector

Default spumoni slices

someone mentioned that the dough for this was too thin and couldn't be spread out enough. When I have made them, I use a LOAF PAN lined with plastic wrap. Pat in each colored layer on top of each other firmly in loaf pan,
cover and chill overnight then continue with the directions to cut and bake.
These are very good, very colorful, and using loaf pan makes the dough layers a satisfactory thickness. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #966  
Kookie Creator

Oops, sorry wrong thread!

Well, I could start a lotion store with all the lotions I have purchased that I don't like!! Sure wish I could find some unscented stuff somewhere. Our dollar store had none, and also no Vitamin E Cream. Bought a $10 jar (8oz) at Meijers...and the scent is so unpleasant, sort of like stinking stale lilacs, so hopefully whatever lotion I put with it will overpower that stench. I really like the idea of buying my own oils and scenting the recipe that way, but it is sure an ordeal to find unscented anything!!! :(
-Ann

Last edited by itzann; 12-11-2008 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: posted to wrong thread
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 01:29 AM   #967  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Citric acid can also me purchased at bulk and health food stores. I use it to make AWESOME fizzy bath salts. It also contains baking soda, when they hit water they make a fizzy reaction just lije a bath bomb but really quick! I will post to my blog in the next week. Link in my signature line.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #968  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerdView Post
someone mentioned that the dough for this was too thin and couldn't be spread out enough. When I have made them, I use a LOAF PAN lined with plastic wrap. Pat in each colored layer on top of each other firmly in loaf pan,
cover and chill overnight then continue with the directions to cut and bake.
These are very good, very colorful, and using loaf pan makes the dough layers a satisfactory thickness. Hope this helps!
What a great tip I may even try this idea for my chocolate peanut butter swirl cookies. The recipe calls for rolling out the peanut butter dough like a jelly roll and then spreading on the melted chocolate over the dough. It is very hard to roll it up once the chocolate is spread on it. I think this year I will layer the peanut butter and chocolate in a loaf pan, chill and then slice. I know the flavor will still be delicious even though it is a different shape. This idea sounds a lot less stressful. Have a great holiday and TFS.

My BLOG: http://dolcedebsdesigns.blogspot.com/ please visit...thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:37 AM   #969  
Polyshrink Goddess

Wow, 25 pages of ideas!
I make about 70-75 cards each year, this year I had my 6 year old draw a reindeer and scanned it into the computer. I printed these off and added snowflakes and a plaid cloth scarf. Very easy compared to usual and very cute.
I also make 12 x 12 scrapbook pages and put them on a calendar for the grandmothers - each month they can just take the page off and put it in the albums I have sent marked with my boys names, so they get both a calendar and a scrapbook.
I just finished 36 boxes of Fudge... I made about 6 recipes and went down to Archivers and punched out the cute square boxes to put it in. I used the reindeer again with a message and used it as a tag for the boxes. They look pretty festive in red and green.
I also try to make an ornament for the Godparents each year, this year will be a star - wrap the thicker wire around a large star cookie cutter and roll up the ends, add thinner wire with a few beads and probably a cute ribbon. I am not done with them as they have not had my wire in stock for the past couple weeks at Michael...

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #970  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts

This isn't a stamping craft but I am so pleased at how it turned out. Every year I try and think of a craft I can make with all my little daycare children aged 2-6, that is a reasonable price and fun to make. I was recently at the dollar store and purchased 2 pkgs of little glass votive candle holders with the candles in it and there were 3 holders in each pkg. I have a stack of old used CD's so I hot glued the bottom of the glass votive onto the center of the CD with the shiny silver side up. Next I cut out pieces of green and red felt to the bottom....the printed side of the CD so it won't mark up furniture.
The kids are gluing shiny little stars and snowflakes on CD around the candle and we will wrap them up for their parents for Christmas. They look really pretty and the shiny part of the CD is so reflective. THey are so proud of their creations and it is nice to give your mom and dad something sprecial that they made.
Easy assembly for my part too...just need a glue gun.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM   #971  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by k dunbrookView Post
This isn't a stamping craft but I am so pleased at how it turned out. Every year I try and think of a craft I can make with all my little daycare children aged 2-6, that is a reasonable price and fun to make. I was recently at the dollar store and purchased 2 pkgs of little glass votive candle holders with the candles in it and there were 3 holders in each pkg. I have a stack of old used CD's so I hot glued the bottom of the glass votive onto the center of the CD with the shiny silver side up. Next I cut out pieces of green and red felt to the bottom....the printed side of the CD so it won't mark up furniture.
The kids are gluing shiny little stars and snowflakes on CD around the candle and we will wrap them up for their parents for Christmas. They look really pretty and the shiny part of the CD is so reflective. THey are so proud of their creations and it is nice to give your mom and dad something sprecial that they made.
Easy assembly for my part too...just need a glue gun.

Karen
What a fun and simple craft idea! Thanks for sharing this! I will file it for next year . Do you have any photos of the finished product?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 06:10 PM   #972  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Where oh where has Barbara gone??
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #973  
Stazon Splitcoast

Vit E Cream for the Canadian girls, is in the pharmacy section of your Walmart, Superstore, or Zellers (with Eczema skin treatments and such). I've been buying it for years (great for reducing scars, it's like the cure all for all skin ailments, it seems). Just ask someone in the pharmacy section. After seeing the recipe I went and bought a couple tubs for $4 each, it was the Walmart brand (Equate). Have never looked in the dollar store....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #974  
Inking Addict

these recipes sound delicious!!!
Stacey ~ TAC #3915 ~ Wingin' it in NC

YOU are a TREASURE, not a target! (Chad Eastman)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 11:49 AM   #975  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 172 Likes on 128 Posts

could someone bump the lotion recipe to this paper?
please & thank you
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 01:34 PM   #976  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftymomto2View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Denise's Lotion Recipe
15 ounce vaseline
16 ounce vitamin e cream
"2" 16 ounce baby lotion

Mix all this together with hand mixer in METAL bowl.(it will look like thick cake frosting)
Then spoon into jars with a METAL spoon
(note: don't use anything plastic or your stuff may taste like lotion)

There it it ladies! Very simple but very good! It is really thick so good for winter. I use all generic stuff. Also when I made it a few years ago, I spooned it into baby food jars and sealed it with the lids that I had painted gold/silver, and then added a sticker to the lid. Of course, you can use different jars BUT this stuff is thick so make sure you can get fingers into jar to get it out. KWIM?

I'm going tomorrow to get this stuff and put it with the lotion recipe that is on other thread with a similar title as this one, paste the recipe about (I hope), The name of the lotion is Denise's Lotion and she said that she buys all of her ingredients for it at Dollar General.
HERE IS THE LOTION RECIPE
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #977  
Gallery Gazer

Here are the prayer journals and book thongs I did this year:

7x7 prayer journals
book thong
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 05:09 AM   #978  
Matboard Maniac

Those prayer journals are absolutey wonderful - thank you for sharing them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM   #979  
Die Cut Diva

Wow guys! I've missed pages and pages here. Everybody is getting such wonderful things done and I'm sooooo far behind!

Anyway, I have a quick question -- does anyone know a good recipe for spiced apple cider? We're having family in on Saturday!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM   #980  
Embossing Fanatic

Had this last Sat. and got my friend's recipe. Robyn's Wassail (She made this up.)
1 1/2 cans frozen apple juice, diluted per instructions
1/2 can frozen orange juice, diluted per instructions
1/2 can frozen cranberry juice, diluted per instructions
2 teabags (She used Red Zinger)
oranges studded with cloves, floated into this mixture
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
Heat all together. She used a crock pot. Enjoy! It was wonderful!
I immediately asked for the recipe. Let me know if you try it, and how you like it.
chaun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2008, 02:09 PM   #981  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmptyNestMomView Post
I posted this to the other Holiday thread, and forgot to include it here. This is still the edible treats/idea document, NOT THE COOKING/BAKING ONE....

With that statement, I'm so far behind on adding in items, even the craft ideas. I've been trying to focus on the baking book/doc, however, this one is larger and seems to have more items than the last document I posted for downloading. It also might help those just jumping in, so they don't have to go search through the entire thread to locate an idea or recipe, or my document. (Which is what I am having to do, page by page, from each of the two threads for the baking recipes..)

I think we've confused the system here, LOL, as I've noticed I'm missing some info here and there, and I've tried on both threads several times to do a search for a particular idea/recipe by the name alone, and I just get an error message! Well, we are at over 1000 posts on the other thread, and probably about the same here, although I didn't check the numbers!!

OK - those interested, those new, and those who might want to take another look to then provide input on the recipe book document (as I'm using the format per say from this one being posted here, for that one as well), perhaps consider downloading it? Those new, you might find something fun that you didn't notice..or from the other thread which you've not read.

Those who've already downloaded the previous one, you can toss that now, and use this, as it has more items in it!?!?!

Those who wish to help with ANY ideas and input, please download this, as it's been buttoned up a bit since the last one (at least I tried), and it might help you, should you desire, to provide any input at all...

So, here it is.....drum roll..(ha-ha) not.....
Can anybody put the document that EmptyNestMom so graciously made for us into a PDF? My Word has gone crazy and I can't open the document. EmptyNestMom, thank you so much for your hard work on this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #982  
Hardware Hotshot

Hopefully this post will reach everyone who has emailed me asking for my grandma's pineapple squares and russian tea cakes. I posted it on my blog today here:
http://blog.papermonkey.org/index/20...e-recipes.html

Please do not add my grandma's pineapple squares to the SCS book though, it has a lot of meaning to me and I know I am silly but there you go. It is very old fashioned anyway and is not for everyone
Suzy

Designing For Great Companies Including:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #983  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaunView Post
Had this last Sat. and got my friend's recipe. Robyn's Wassail (She made this up.)
1 1/2 cans frozen apple juice, diluted per instructions
1/2 can frozen orange juice, diluted per instructions
1/2 can frozen cranberry juice, diluted per instructions
2 teabags (She used Red Zinger)
oranges studded with cloves, floated into this mixture
nutmeg and cinnamon to taste
Heat all together. She used a crock pot. Enjoy! It was wonderful!
I immediately asked for the recipe. Let me know if you try it, and how you like it.
chaun
This is perfect for my family get-together this weekend, I didn't know what to take, but now I do!! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 PM   #984  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Has anyone made the Peppermint Bark this year? I tried making it and my dark chocolate and white chocolate layer keep separating? I cooled my dark chocolate outside (it was freezing) and cooled down my white chocolate before layering it on, then added the peppermint. Cooled it again for about 2 hours outside and when I went to break it, the white layer and the dark layer separated in about 1/2 of the chunks?????????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:24 PM   #985  
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to make some hay stacks next week and then i am going to make mydads ham for christmas. But thats about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 03:31 AM   #986  
Stampin' Fool

Default for sheilakyles

I would also like to know how to keep the peppermint bark from seperating. I bought some in a tin two years ago and it was so good I decided to make some. It kept falling apart, so I gave up. Anyone have any tips for Sheila and me?

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #987  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by SheilaKylesView Post
Has anyone made the Peppermint Bark this year? I tried making it and my dark chocolate and white chocolate layer keep separating? I cooled my dark chocolate outside (it was freezing) and cooled down my white chocolate before layering it on, then added the peppermint. Cooled it again for about 2 hours outside and when I went to break it, the white layer and the dark layer separated in about 1/2 of the chunks?????????
each chocolate was too cold to meld together -I have been making chocolates for more than 25 yrs - I let the first layer cool for about 10 minutes or so (room temp), than add the second layer on top - let set up a few minutes than add the peppermint candies pieces to that and than let all cool together.........I was taught to put it in the fridge to set up - if in a hurry I will put in the freezer for 5-10 mins. depending on the thicknesss but I do notice that if I put it in the freezer condensation will form on top of the pieces when it comes up to room temp.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 04:36 AM   #988  
Gallery Gazer

Here's what I'm thinking of doing next year for Christmas as I had so much fun making ours. It's call The Family Gratitude Journal I have been working on:

part 1
part 2
part 3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 AM   #989  
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: keeping my 7 yr old still, while I'm in stampin' bliss!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CardLadyTooView Post
each chocolate was too cold to meld together -I have been making chocolates for more than 25 yrs - I let the first layer cool for about 10 minutes or so (room temp), than add the second layer on top - let set up a few minutes than add the peppermint candies pieces to that and than let all cool together.........I was taught to put it in the fridge to set up - if in a hurry I will put in the freezer for 5-10 mins. depending on the thicknesss but I do notice that if I put it in the freezer condensation will form on top of the pieces when it comes up to room temp.

HTH

AHHH, thank you. I was thinking that this was it last night. But EVERY recipe I read (and I read a ton of them on the web) said to cool the 1st layer (usually they said in the freezer) before adding the second layer. I'll remember this for the next batch and see how it turns out!

So, just barely let it set AND at room temperature, then add the white chocolate layer. Makes since. Now I just wish that Trader Joes's still carried their white chocolate pound plus bars!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 05:25 AM   #990  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Candy bark layers separating

Layers in cookies and candies sometimes separate when the upper layer has nothing to grip onto. ... Painters refer to it as "tooth" -- they sand an area of wall or woodwork or use a slightly rough primer so the final coat of paint has something to hold onto. ... In cookie and candy terms, don't make the bottom layer too smooth before cooling it slightly; the slight texture will give the top layer something to grip when it is placed on top. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 06:55 AM   #991  
Rubber Obsessor

Cassie, can you tell us how to put together the prayer journal? Would love to to that for all the relatives and friends with children -- next year!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #992  
Gallery Gazer

7x7 Prayer Journal

Here is the link to the blog where I got the 7x7 prayer journal idea from: http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/2...ayers-day.html

Putting it together as a gift for others came from CK here on SCS. I took chipboard coasters and covered them with designer papers and embellies. I printed out the prayers onto c/s too. I used my bind-it-all and 3/4" spirals for the first time to turn them into little journals. For the journal for my SIL I replaced the general pronouns/nouns (ie child/ren, they, s/he, etc) with the names of her kids to make it more personalized. I hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #993  
Insane Embellisher

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Another great thread! Now if only I could stop reading and start creating!
Reply With Quote Likes