Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default what do you do with your scraps of CS

Do you keep all your uncut 12x12 paper together, and scraps in another? What works for you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:05 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Admittedly, I don't have a very good paper storage system, but typically, if the "scrap" is big enough for a card base (i.e., half a sheet) I keep it with the uncut card stock. If it's smaller than that, it goes in my scrap box to be used as a layer on a card or as a practice piece for a technique. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Good Morning from Canada!
What I do with my CS is keep them in a box sorted by size. I then have it by colour (well I try until I go on a card making frenzy) then they all get mixed in. Every so often I will sort thru it but as long as I have it sorted by size it's easier to see what I have available to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

My favorite crafting storage system gets used for scraps- ziploc baggies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

I have mine in 8 see thru plastic shoe boxes. Sorted by color. Pink/Red Orange/Yellow Blue Green Brown Purple/Ivory Vellum/White Black/Gray. It may not be the best way to do it, but it works for me. I don't publish, so I don't need to sort by manufacturer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep all my large scraps with the uncut paper in 12x12" drawers, all smaller scraps I keep in a clear box. If I am in need a piece of Designer Paper I first look in the scrap book. It is really amazing how much stuff I got in that box and still, most of the times I can't find a piece I need and need to cut a fresh piece. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

I rarely have to cut into a new piece of paper. I use my scraps for everything: card bases, tags, journaling, inchies, stamping and cutting out embellishments, everything! I just posted a tutorial on how to print on small scraps. The sample I show is about a 2x3 piece of CS. You can see the tutorial here. And to see how I store my scraps, look here. I hope it is helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

i keep all of my full sheets together.

all the 1/2 sheets and 1/4 sheets together.

and all the smaller scraps are 'filed' according to color...
(in a plastic shoe box)

it works for me. i hope you find what will work best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

I use page protectors for my scraps. I use the side loading page protectors for my SU and Gina K card stock. I keep them in hanging folders. I use top loading page protectors for my patterned paper and keep all scraps from either the same pack of paper together or if I buy individual sheets I have one page protector for each style. I have been doing this for several years and it has worked for me so far.

Good luck coming up with a system.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

I've just started sorting them by color groupings using sandwich size baggies. I have a small amount of paper at this point, so it's not an issue. Yet!

Last edited by Cartermrc; 03-08-2009 at 01:21 PM.. Reason: updating
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

i put all my scraps into large zip lock bags then they fit up right into a ruber maid box. I have then in rainbow order with black and brown at the end. Some of the scraps are to long to fit into the bag so they just hang out. but it works real well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

i store all my CS scraps in baggies by individual SU color. each baggie is then placed in a hanging folder by SU color name.

i have one hanging folder for each 6 piece set of in color CS, with all 6 baggies in that one hanging folder (ie. all 6 baggies for 2008 in color in one hanging folder).

the desk drawer that holds all these folders is right close at hand. i rarely cut into a whole sheet of paper unless i am making a card base of that color, then the remainder of the sheet goes into the baggie for future use.

i also store my Designer Print scraps by color name in the same hanging folder as the corresponding CS

i have not figured out a good way to store all my DSP scraps (the paper that has more than one color) other than in a storage box drawer. then i have to thumb through to find what i'd like to work with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:20 PM   #13  
Mad Swapper

thanks for all the ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have at different times really tried to be a filing cabinet person but I am not one,lol, so I took all the folders out of the bottom drawer of my iris filing cabinet and just toss all my scraps in there. Yes, they are a mess but it works for me. I'm always able to find a color I need and just seeing all the cool scraps brings back a boatload of memories as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 03:43 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Default paper scrap storage

What works great for me is to use multi page page protectors for all of my CS. I put all scraps in with the full pages and then when I need that color, I look for the smallest possible scrap that will do. It saves me paper and I'm rarely cutting into full pages. I label all of the spines of the page protectors with the name of the color and I have them filed in rainbow order. The page protectors, about ten of them, are stored in magazine holders on a bookshelf so all of my paper is together and organized by color. I used to store my scrapps by color family in a seperate file folder, but it was too easy to forget to check if I had a small piece and I wasted more paper.

What I'm trying to do now is to use up my "ugly" paper. I have a Longaberger picnic basket with questionable paper purchases. I have a hard time throwing away or recycling this crappy cardstock. It's mostly plain, not great quality paper that I bought before discovering better quality stuff. Ick! Those bright greens and reds that only a preschooler could love! Those wierd pastels with that.......strange pattern.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
What works great for me is to use multi page page protectors for all of my CS. I put all scraps in with the full pages and then when I need that color, I look for the smallest possible scrap that will do. It saves me paper and I'm rarely cutting into full pages. I label all of the spines of the page protectors with the name of the color and I have them filed in rainbow order. The page protectors, about ten of them, are stored in magazine holders on a bookshelf so all of my paper is together and organized by color. I used to store my scrapps by color family in a seperate file folder, but it was too easy to forget to check if I had a small piece and I wasted more paper.

What I'm trying to do now is to use up my "ugly" paper. I have a Longaberger picnic basket with questionable paper purchases. I have a hard time throwing away or recycling this crappy cardstock. It's mostly plain, not great quality paper that I bought before discovering better quality stuff. Ick! Those bright greens and reds that only a preschooler could love! Those wierd pastels with that.......strange pattern.

Jutta
I'm the same way. I can't just toss my "ugly" paper. What I do with it, is take my "Whale of a punch, punches " and just start punching. It's a great TV watching occupation. Some of that ugly paper isn't all that bad in smaller doses,lol. Also, when I get a shoebox full, I pass it along to my 6 year old granddaughter who thinks it's a real treasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Default storing scraps

On the floor on the left side of my craft table I have a set of plastic drawers from Walmart.Each drawer is labeled by color. When I have scraps left from scrapbooking, I cut A2 card fronts and store them in an accordian file.Medium scraps are filed in drawers by color. I have another set of drawers on the other side of my desk. I throw smaller scraps in there not divided by color. I find them more inspirational that way.Tiny scraps get punched into flower or butterfly shapes which I keep in a plastic box on my desk. I also have a drawer for strips. It sounds complicated but works for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 04:28 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

All my paper is in hanging files. Each SU color gets a file. Within the file I have full sheets and a ziploc bag with scraps. That way whenever I need a particular color I go to one place. If I need just a small piece I check the scrap bag first, if I need something larger I go directly to the full size sheets. It really has made things easier. I used to keep all the scraps in a drawer but found I never used them because it was such a pain to find the right color.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I put each color of cardstock in a separate hanging file along with a file folder; the scraps go in the file folder. This way, I just pull out the hanging file for the color I want, check the file folder for a scap the size I need and if there is not one, then I cut into the the whole sheets. I find I really use my scraps up this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Glad to see I am not the only one using the ziplock bag system!

Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

I keep my cardstock in a hanging file. I have all the files labelled by color. I keep my scraps in the file too. It's easy to find the scraps when I am making a card and need a small piece for the sentiment or a punched piece.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2009, 06:38 PM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I use the good old Ziploc bag system too! If it's larger (usually 1/2 page or more) it goes in with my full sheets. I love some of the other ideas. Maybe when I have more time...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:15 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have my uncut CS stored in drawers by colour family.

The scraps....well, that is a whole other ballgame. They mostly just get thrown in a box on the floor in my craft room.

Wish I had a better system.

I'm a Bella Babe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #24  
Mad Swapper

i make two types of paper crafts (mostly)... i make cards and i scrapbook. so i keep my 12x12 paper in one of those rolling metal organizer things. i have one shelf just for the 8.5x11 papers as well. all my slabs (books of paper) that are another size (ie 3x3, 8x8 ets) are kept together.
my scraps (which i use the most) are in the big 12x12 plastic paper holders. the holders have different dividers, and i seperated by colors. one giant folder holds the rainbow colors, the other holds all my neutrals (which i always have tons of). the folders have handles, so when i want to craft, i pull out the folders and start with the small pieces before i go to my 'big' paper.
i also store all my patterned scraps with the cardstock ones.
i just set up this system late late last night (for 6 hours- yikes-) and so far it seems like a good system (after 6 hours of work it better be LOL)
-laura s
Reply With Quote Likes