Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #41  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i make a color copy of the cards i make, and keep them in a binder, so that i can give away everything i make! i have a large group of friends who all get together on a weekly basis, and when one of them has a birthday, i give them a little packet of a half dozen cards, as well as everyone in the group signing their birthday card. it's become a bit of a tradition.

i have to give them away, or i can't justify buying more stuff, and boy, do i love to buy new stuff! ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 03:15 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janeliquoreView Post
I guess I'm not as 'prolific' as the rest of you! I usually make birthday cards and holiday cards to send to my family and friends (including Valentines, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Easter, Thanksgiving). That keeps me pretty busy all year. I also send out about 100 Christmas cards and all are hand made. Everyone loves my hand made cards so much, I don't dare buy a card! Also this April, I made 40 invitations and favors for my daughter's baby shower. And my sister held a fund raising craft show for my nephew, who was nominated by a teacher to go to Washington, DC for a week for the Junior National Young Leaders conference. I made about 100 cards, 25 domino magnets and 60 sour cream containers of M&M's to sell. Also made about 40 water bottle markers from shrink plastic.
Goodness, Jane, you are more than 'prolific'. I make cards for my family, friends, raks, etc. but do cheat when it comes to Christmas. Sorry to say, I buy my Christmas cards at a Christian Book Store (after Christmas, of course) because to make 100+ cards would be more than I could handle.

Believe me, you do very well in the card making department. :-D
Caterina www.colesfoundation.org www.colespages.com www.kidsunitetofight.com Everything can change in the blink of an eye. But don't worry; God never blinks. America will only be the land of the free so long as it is the home of the Brave https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/f...t-t339556.html
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 05:48 AM   #43  
Mad Swapper

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Do You Use Your Cards?

I usually have someone in mind when I make my cards -- it is so fun to think about how they will react when they get them. I just recently returned from a 2-week trip to the US and I saw my cards displayed in 4 of the 6 homes I visited -- that was a great feeling!!! Like Norma, I am also a chemo angel and make quite a few cards for that purpose. I am also an avid volunteer with the Girl Scouts Overseas (Seoul, South Korea) and I am always making cards for leaders, volunteers, and staff. Very relaxing and rewarding for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #44  
Compulsive Stamper

What I had forgotten - I correspond with a "Breathing Group" on the Internet. These are folks like myself with COPD, some of whom, aren't able to get out all the time. I scan my cards and on their Birthdays or other occasions, I e-mail them the card. They are so pleased and it keeps the communications going!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 06:01 AM   #45  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Girl Scouts Overseas

Quote:

Originally Posted by salabobView Post
What I had forgotten - I correspond with a "Breathing Group" on the Internet. These are folks like myself with COPD, some of whom, aren't able to get out all the time. I scan my cards and on their Birthdays or other occasions, I e-mail them the card. They are so pleased and it keeps the communications going!
Since I have two adopted Asian Grandchildren I would love to contact this organization. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 08:12 AM   #46  
Cardstock Collector

Default Donating your card stash

Don't forget your locat dog/cat shelters. They are always sending out Thank You's for donations or adoptions. I love to make Dog and Cat cards to donate to the volunteers or vets that help out at the shelter. I also send them to the pet adoptee's to let them know I am available if they have questions. Also my dog groomer likes getting them as a gift, unfortunately pets die or get sick and those cards are hard to come by. Just a suggestion regarding our furry friends.

Ginger
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

I just LOVE all of these ideas!!!

I personally have donated to our local pregnancy ministry (I am the Exec. Dir)...so any cards from swaps go there. The thank you's are great for our volunteers, donors, staff birthdays, etc... Plus I make several cards for the ministry...new baby cards, praying for you...etc

I go in spurts when it comes to stamping...some months I'm fortunate to get birthday cards done...some I get that and a dozen or so Christmas cards. I really want to discipline myself more so I can get more cards done...for family as well as donations (love the Meals on wheels idea! ...and the troops...and...)

:mrgreen:
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #48  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaCView Post
I've was just pondering this morning what others do with their cards. Personally I make dozens and dozens more than I could ever use. Lately I have been giving people packages of cards for them to use rather than just a card for the occasion, but I still have far too many ready to go. I noticed one blogger showing off her very first card. Does that mean people just hang on to them as a collection? I note a few people try to sell them, but I don't think you ever really get enough $ for them for the time involved.

Anyway, just pondering life, the universe and all those cards.
I either store them away in a photo storage box (or 3, lol) and/or bring them to work and put them in a little basket on my desk for sale.
I have people asking me every week for a card and it is nice to be able to just grab one off my desk and not have to go home and make them one.

I was going to throw away about 50 cards that I thought were not pretty but a co-worker said to bring them in because someone else might think they are pretty and what do you know, they do ;)

I am in a small office of about 25 people and they all sell for $3-$5 each.
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 07:14 PM   #49  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What I do...

I give cards to the kids at www.makeachildsmile.org and I am an official Chemo Card Angel to a sweet little girl, so I mail cards to her. I also mail cards to a lady with cancer that I "unofficially" angel. I make cards for my brother to give to his fiancee. I also make cards for family and friends, my customers, give-aways at FunShops, pen pals and for each holiday and birthday. It's been a lot of fun the past six months learning how to stamp and trying to improve my technique!
Hugs,
Bridgett Owens
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2008, 08:01 PM   #50  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oh yeah!

I also send them to a soldier I sponsor through the www.TroopCarePackage.com website!
Hugs,
Bridgett
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 03:43 AM   #51  
Hardware Hotshot

Thank you ladies for all the great tips. When I first started making cards I would make them exactly as taught in the class, then they would sit until I found someone who would enjoy the sentiment. As I progressed, I altered cards to suit the people I might be sending cards to, meaning I didn't stamp any words until I knew to whom I was sending the card. This has helped me to send out my cards to fit the reason for sending a card. Hope this makes sense.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 05:08 AM   #52  
Matboard Maniac

Our local stamp store collects cards for the local hospice at the hospital. For every 10 cards w/envelopes that you donate, you get a $5 punch on your frequent shopper card. So you benefit as well as the hopsice patients who get the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2008, 06:20 AM   #53  
Insane Embellisher

I belong to an organization that helps support a childrens charity (home for unwanted, abused kids) They send out cards to members who are ill or their spouse died. I donate to them and then there is more money to donate to the charity. At a board meeting one day they were complaining about the cost of cards so that is how I came up with the idea. They like plain insides and write their own sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2008, 04:40 AM   #54  
Rubber Obsessor

We have a card Ministry at church that we donate to, and we also routinely send RAK pkg's to troops in various areas that people give us info on. One of our troops even sent back pictures of themselves...really was awesome and worth all the hard work...

Cindy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #55  
Glitter Queen

I mostly make random cards for no good reason, which is probably why I have literally hundreds stored in plastic tubs But when a birthday or other Holiday sneaks up on me I always have plenty to hand out to friends and family.

Each month I have to make at least 10 of the same card for party swaps ( and usually make a couple more to keep for my stash )

I have donated to troops over seas, and given sets away for Christmas presants. ( which I was a little leary about, but seemed to be a big hit! )

I made about 5-15 cards for EACH of the following catagories for my mom for Christmas put labled dividers between each catagory and put them in a nice picture box for storage.
Christmas, New Years, Easter, Graduation, Baby ( girl and boy ) Birthday, Thinking of you, Sympathy, Anniversary, Valentines, St. Patricks, Halloween, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Wedding, shoot, I cant remember them all.. but I gave her 100 cards with envelopes.

Then I got a 2 year planner and added everyones birthdays, anniversarries, etc that I could remember in it. ( she can add the rest ) Then I added a roll of stamps and a pen. She is almost out of cards already, and wants more! HAHA Kinda made me feel good that it was such a big hit, I thought she would hate the idea LOL

I never knew there were so many organizations that you could donate cards to... I will have to look into that and send some on their way
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2008, 04:25 AM   #56  
Cardstock Collector

Default What do you do with your cards?

Well, I know that sometimes it is hard to give a card that you have spent a long time creating.* They become a part of you...* I make a color copy of my card so that I have a reminder in case I decide to make the same card again, and then I'm able to give the card away without too much of a problem...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:18 PM   #57  
Gabfest Goddess

I used to make cards for challenges and to try out techniques but ended up with way too many to actually use. So I donated about 80 of them to Cards for Heroes, sent some of the kids ones to Keiki's Kids and kept a few in my "last minute" stash for when I need a card and don't have the time or motivation to make one. Mostly now, I make cards only for a specific occasion/person. But I also make cards for Cards for Heroes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2008, 01:42 PM   #58  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have sent some to KeiKi cards...they only take birthday. And the rest of mine all go to the soldiers to send home to their loved ones. It is a huge project. Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

some great ideas here, i have been hoarding for a few years, but the photo idea is great.....i will start simplifying my hobby area and start giving them away.....i like the idea of "so many a week"....little burst of love to people...

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #60  
Die Cut Diva

This is a great question! And it's really fun to see all the different places & organizations people give their cards to. Personally I send a LOT of cards to our troops over in Iraq and Afganistan (mostly). I also donate cards to Ronald McDonald House charities, several local assisted living and nursing homes, a give a few away in sets as gifts to friends, and two organizations I belong to collect cards at our monthly meetings to go to a charitable organization in the local community.

I like the idea of giving some to the women's shelter. We have one in our area and I think I'll call them and see if they need some cards! Thanks for the idea!

Sandra
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #61  
Die Cut Diva

Received 104 Likes on 55 Posts

I took 75 swap fronts and recycled them into full cards. I gave them to my husband's mother who lives in a senior community for their annual craft sale. They sell them to raise money for a local charity. It's a great way to clear up your stamp room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 04:01 AM   #62  
Hardware Hotshot

Thanks for adding some wonderful ideas. I like the Cards for a Cause addition to the SCS home page. Sent some off for the Breast Cancer Awareness last month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2008, 09:48 AM   #63  
Stazon Splitcoast

I send thousands to the troops.
Supply 2 swim teams for fund raisers
Supply my church bookstore (all proceeds go to building fund)
Supply chuch with birthday and anniversary cards to mail to members
Supply a basket for my hubbys desk weekly

I never have a spare card sitting around...lol
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #64  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi all,

I am one that loves to make cards and share them. :p I have a list of 30 shut-ins, elderly that live alone and the sick. I have a sheet of address labels labeled monthly and the first of the month these 30 receive a card, all the same and only medium in difficulty. Then the 15th of the month, anyone of these that are really sick or undergoing cancer treatments, get a second card for the month and this is a better, more difficult card. - Then there are the 10 to 15 Birthday, Anniversary, etc. type cards a month.

Then I send packs of cards to a priest in Afghanistan and each envelope has two cards in it. One for themselves with personal wishes from us, and one blank one along with the blank envelope for them to send to whomever they choose.

Our area also has a "Cards for a Cause" group that donates cards and they are sold in the Oncology Dept at three hospitals to nurses, employee's, etc. and they are self governing so no one has to watch these cards or money. The group has already donated over $1,500 to various charitable organizations, and at $2 a card that is quite a donation! :cool:

A note to those of you who are just starting to send cards. If you are sending to one of a married couple, write the card to both. Both are suffering and one lady brought this to my attention, that her husband needed the special attention also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #65  
Stazon Splitcoast

What extra cards??? lol I give to:
Hubbys basket on desk
Church card ministry
Our troops
supply TWO swim teams for fund raisers
Church bookstore to sell (all income goes to the building fund)

I think that is everyone...I never have any left...
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 08:34 PM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

oh...and recently I sent 112 to a young lady on SCS who was stressing about a craft fair she was doing. She didnt have enough to sell. So I sent her what I could get done in a week. It was a RAK.
Blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #67  
Kookie Creator

well the really cute ones i hoard
the average one i send out
the ugly ones or the ones i messed up on i send to someone i dont like
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 03:08 AM   #68  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for starting this thread. I've decided that I need to start donating mine. I have way to many and they sit there waiting for the occassional glance. Since I take pictures and post them on my blog I would still have them. Its funny how I hold onto things because I may want to recreate one. Well the funny thing is that I never make the same card twice. What am I waiting for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 03:37 AM   #69  
Polyshrink Goddess

Since I've become a RAK member, it's been put to use. I just love it. I categorize my cards and use them for every occasion. My niece called me yesterday and asked if she could have some Birthday cards I've made so she could pick one out to give to her cousin. It's come in handy and it feels good to be able to have cards for others to appreciate and use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #70  
Mad Swapper

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Our Girl Scout troops here in Seoul are gathering cards in now to send to troops who are in Afghanistan and Iraq (many of their own parents are currently deployed there) as part of a service project for their Silver Award. The cards they plan to send are to actual servicemembers and then a little pack of all occasion cards for the servicemembers to have to send to their own loved ones. If anyone would be interested in helping with this project, just PM me for address to send the cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #71  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm new to card making. I first started out just scrapbooking and then ventured out and I notice that I'd rather scrapbook over making cards now because I don't know that many ppl that will appreciate something made by hand (apart from my bf and his 3 person family). So if I do make things I keep them for myself. Selfish I know, but thats what I do. I am trying to participate more in swaps and such though so others do recieve my stuff. And as far as selling - no way. I've seen ppl who are selling things I can make by hand for way more than they should be priced. My two cents . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #72  
Stazon Splitcoast

I sell, donate, gift in packets for gifts or hostess prizes and I do a few I keep either for template or because they are just too cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #73  
Stampin' Fool

I use the cards that I make as gifts, I give them to charities and of course I use them as they were intended to be used, as cards for birthday's, thank-you's, sympathies, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 02:03 AM   #74  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,040 Likes on 785 Posts

I took 250 that I have made over the years in to work and sold $150 worth in 2 days! I had put each card/envy in a clear cover and priced them at $1.50 each, or 4 for $5. I still kept a bunch for me. Now I have some cash to buy more stampin' stuff! I have also donated tons to various organizations and given them as gifts to my family and friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #75  
Matboard Maniac

I use my cards as RAKS or I make up a bunch of cards for my Mom to use with her friends complete with envelopes. She loves to receive this as a gift.
Cyndi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 AM   #76  
Crimping Master

I have a moderate stash of cards that I make just to try a layout or new technique (I'm a Zindorf stalker :cool: ). I did have them for sale at work, but now that I've been laid off, I need a new way to distribute them. I'll be checking out some of the organizations listed in this thread to donate. Just curious, does anyone know of a local organization in Columbia SC area that would be interested in handmade cards?

Thanks for all the information and the inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 12:06 PM   #77  
Rubber Obsessor

I make em to give em! I don't have a dedicated space, so I pull all of my stuff out and make a few at a time so I am not overrun with them at this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:14 PM   #78  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I send mine out snail mail for various occasions and I donate to www.cardsforheroes.com and www.shareacard.org too. I am a ChemoAngel and Senior Angel so I send 4 cards a week just for that.

I also bundle them up to give as gifts for Christmas or birthdays and this year made some to raise funds for my Breast Cancer 3-Day walk in 2009.

Even with all that, I still hoard the ones I think are especially good. I may try to make that a 2009 goal to keep a smaller supply on hand!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #79  
Stazon Splitcoast

I add an envelope to each and give them to my daughters, who are teachers. They use thank you and birthday cards a LOT.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #80  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftjunkiescView Post
I have a moderate stash of cards that I make just to try a layout or new technique (I'm a Zindorf stalker :cool: ). I did have them for sale at work, but now that I've been laid off, I need a new way to distribute them. I'll be checking out some of the organizations listed in this thread to donate. Just curious, does anyone know of a local organization in Columbia SC area that would be interested in handmade cards?

Thanks for all the information and the inspiration.
I live nowhere near there but I did a search and saw that there are a few cancer units/hospitals, you may want to call there. They generally take donations of cards to use or sell to raise money.
Reply With Quote Likes